SpaceNavy

The Eridanus Insurrection - An Arma 3 Total Modication

You could include SPARTAN-IV's. ODST's and members of the previous SPARTAN programs were invited into it. And with as widespread as humanity became before 2500's, it's likely that many refugees would've volunteered for the program. Just a thought.

this mod take place before the events of the SPARTAN-IV program I think, even before first contact. So having a gen 4 spartan wouldn't make sense if Project Orion barley started lol

this mod take place before the events of the SPARTAN-IV program I think, even before first contact. So having a gen 4 spartan wouldn't make sense if Project Orion barley started lol

This. Chronologically though, the Eridanus Insurrection was raging from 2513 to 2524, before the SPARTAN-II program was even initially started in 2517. So if there were any SPARTANs we were going to add, it would be them.

Although, just because we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we should.

In our opinion, SPARTANs would represent our mod in a similar method of gameplay to that of the original Halo games. Which is just something we do not want. We want people to know that you are NOT a super soldier. You will not be running out into fire taking round after round and shrugging it off because "lol energy shield!" (although this might happen anyway because "lol BI netcode!").

Arma is, and always will be a military SIMULATOR. We do not want or plan to change that.

This. Chronologically though, the Eridanus Insurrection was raging from 2513 to 2524, before the SPARTAN-II program was even initially started in 2517. So if there were any SPARTANs we were going to add, it would be them.

Although, just because we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we should.

In our opinion, SPARTANs would represent our mod in a similar method of gameplay to that of the original Halo games. Which is just something we do not want. We want people to know that you are NOT a super soldier. You will not be running out into fire taking round after round and shrugging it off because "lol energy shield!" (although this might happen anyway because "lol BI netcode!").

Arma is, and always will be a military SIMULATOR. We do not want or plan to change that.

I agree 100%. I think that Spartans would greatly decrease the challenge and skill level that is required to play Arma like it is meant to be played. If you guys are planning on putting up a dedicated server, I think that Spartans should be whitelisted to Devs and trusted community members. Of course, this is IF they are added and IF a dedicated server is put up.

Also, how's that world development coming along?

I agree 100%. I think that Spartans would greatly decrease the challenge and skill level that is required to play Arma like it is meant to be played. If you guys are planning on putting up a dedicated server, I think that Spartans should be whitelisted to Devs and trusted community members. Of course, this is IF they are added and IF a dedicated server is put up.

Also, how's that world development coming along?

No, if we decided to implement SPARTANs (final release at the earliest) then it will be open for all players. People just need to keep in mind, they are not invincible with the MJOLNIR armor and there are no energy shields.

Speaking of dedicated servers, what will most likely happen, is that one of the dev members (or someone from the community if they are willing to share) will host a dedicated server themselves. Until the point where more people are wanting to play then we will entertain the idea of switching to a paid hosting service and we would also begin asking for donations. But if we even decide to do this, all donations would only go towards the server payment as they should.

As with the world/map/terrain development, progress is slow for a few different reasons. One of which, being that the terrain is a goal for the final release, not the alpha or beta. So while it is important to us, it is not an immediate task we are working as hard as we can on. First and foremost are the units, vehicles and weapons themselves. Another reason is that the terrain maker we have is very busy with his real life and has had very little time to work on it. So if anyone has skills with developing a terrain for Arma (Arma 3 preferred) then please get in contact with me. Also, I posted a picture before but not on these forums of what the terrain itself will look like. But I'll post it now anyway:

https://i.imgur.com/0ecni9C.jpg

Will not tell where this is exactly (let that be a game or challenge for anyone willing) but I will tell you that the area we are looking at will be about 20x20km. The map you see here is not EXACTLY what we are looking for as some towns and other goodies will be added, however it will be most a desolate area with large woodland areas and sparsely places farmer houses. We are also waiting for the release of the X-Cam project by Silola and his team because the amount of detail we could put into the map would be greatly enhanced.

While I am already at giving everyone a status update, we currently have Bad Benson rigging up our models (that way you KNOW they'll be good) and that means soon enough we will have some good pictures and videos of the units in-game. Other pictures of weapons/ODST pod will come soon enough, just stay tuned!

I love your guys work I just have a quick query:

Will you guys have some sort of support with ACE and ACRE? For instance I used to do some sort of regiment battles on Arma 2 with Acre and Ace installed which was heaps of fun all acting out with barely non communication, and near to as realistic as it gets (with a game) and now that one of my greatest dreams is being produced I was wondering if you guys would be adding a same sort of feature?

I love your guys work I just have a quick query:

Will you guys have some sort of support with ACE and ACRE? For instance I used to do some sort of regiment battles on Arma 2 with Acre and Ace installed which was heaps of fun all acting out with barely non communication, and near to as realistic as it gets (with a game) and now that one of my greatest dreams is being produced I was wondering if you guys would be adding a same sort of feature?

I guess you missed that this mod is for Arma 3 not for Arma 2. However they said they will very likely support ACRE2/TFAR and AGM

I guess you missed that this mod is for Arma 3 not for Arma 2. However they said they will very likely support ACRE2/TFAR and AGM

No i know its for Arma 3 i just didn't know what the Arma 3 equivalent was for Arma 2's version of ACE/ACRE was, but thanks for the help mate :)

This is what I had in mind as well. And yes we will have both options of door opening available for different circumstantial uses.

Another thing I wanted to get the communities opinion on it is should the player be allowed to use a weapon while still inside the pod? One scenario someone mentioned to me was what if you dropped very close in front of an enemy, you blow the hatch off pull out your sidearm and neutralize any threat that arises before exiting the pod. It does seem pretty Hollywood, but it wouldn't be a difficult addition and it has more pros than it does cons. This one scenario was all it took to convince me haha

A little late to reply, but I would say that makes sense. In reality you're not going to slowly step out of a pod and take a bow before you arm yourself. It gives me an excuse to recreate that Sergeant Johnson ad for ODST way back in the day. Bip! Bap! Bam!

As for the Spartan requests, the SPARTAN-IV thing obviously shouldn't be implemented for lore reasons, but I wouldn't rule out an early version of SPARTAN-IIs. Master Chief's armor during the games is 25 years ahead of the setting of this mod, and while you don't necessarily need to include the Chief, instead you could include a very early development of the MJONLIR Powered Assault Armor. The early generations were bulky, restricting, and needed an electrical transmission in order to operate. With some thought for gameplay it could be balanced, like restricting FOV with the helmet structure and some more momentum with movement, perhaps some slower switching between standing/crouched/prone. Sure you could be a bullet sponge a little bit more than your ODST pals, but at the cost of agility, and if your power generator was sabotaged you'd collapse under the weight of the armor. I mean you could get into some top secret ONI military testing stuff which would fit in with the lore and would stick well with the gameplay.

I love that you guys are adamant about sticking to the lore. You got the graphics, the gameplay, and the lore to keep everyone immersed. This is going to be gold. Have you guys tried to make contact with anyone from 343i to get their thoughts on the mod?

A little late to reply, but I would say that makes sense. In reality you're not going to slowly step out of a pod and take a bow before you arm yourself. It gives me an excuse to recreate that Sergeant Johnson ad for ODST way back in the day. Bip! Bap! Bam!

As for the Spartan requests, the SPARTAN-IV thing obviously shouldn't be implemented for lore reasons, but I wouldn't rule out an early version of SPARTAN-IIs. Master Chief's armor during the games is 25 years ahead of the setting of this mod, and while you don't necessarily need to include the Chief, instead you could include a very early development of the MJONLIR Powered Assault Armor. The early generations were bulky, restricting, and needed an electrical transmission in order to operate. With some thought for gameplay it could be balanced, like restricting FOV with the helmet structure and some more momentum with movement, perhaps some slower switching between standing/crouched/prone. Sure you could be a bullet sponge a little bit more than your ODST pals, but at the cost of agility, and if your power generator was sabotaged you'd collapse under the weight of the armor. I mean you could get into some top secret ONI military testing stuff which would fit in with the lore and would stick well with the gameplay.

I love that you guys are adamant about sticking to the lore. You got the graphics, the gameplay, and the lore to keep everyone immersed. This is going to be gold. Have you guys tried to make contact with anyone from 343i to get their thoughts on the mod?

Exactly. And only after the targets are neutralized can you then slowly step out of your pod. A scenario like this would be awesome to include in a video if anyone is willing.

Again, if we do decide to do SPARTANs, there will be no changes of them from the other units. It would simply be a reskin. When it comes to the mod, gameplay is going to trump lore. One example of this is us including the Battle Rifle. Lore wise, the first prototypes of any type of battle rifle we not issued until about 10 years after our targeted timeline. But the BR is just too loved by all of us to not include. This doesn't mean that we are going to butcher the lore though. Everyone who works on this mod is a die-hard Halo fan (games and story) so we promise to do our best.

As with the 343i... I think we all are a little bit scared to do so. As would any Halo modder be. Technically, we are competition to them. I can't even think of anything we would want to talk to or ask them about. What were you thinking of?

Edited by spacenavy90

Exactly. And only after the targets are neutralized can you then slowly step out of your pod. A scenario like this would be awesome to include in a video if anyone is willing.

Again, if we do decide to do SPARTANs, there will be no changes of them from the other units. It would simply be a reskin. When it comes to the mod, gameplay is going to trump lore. One example of this is us including the Battle Rifle. Lore wise, the first prototypes of any type of battle rifle we not issued until about 10 years after our targeted timeline. But the BR is just too loved by all of us to not include. This doesn't mean that we are going to butcher the lore though. Everyone who works on this mod is a die-hard Halo fan (games and story) so we promise to do our best.

As with the 343i... I think we all are a little bit scared to do so. As would any Halo modder be. Technically, we are competition to them. I can't even think of anything we would want to talk to or ask them about. What were you thinking of?

And would this also apply to the M12 in the passenger seat? Shooting out the side I mean.

That's the best way to approach the mod, the gameplay should come first. It would take a lot of development time to implement something like that as well, and I think we can all agree that we've had a fantasy of being an ODST and that's what most of us want. As for the BR, I think if you keep it as close to the XBR55 no one's going to mind much. Hell, all the information for it is there in the wiki it seems. Effective range of 900m with a 60 round magazine. Although me personally I wouldn't even care if every weapon of the UNSC arsenal was included, lore or not.

I think 343i is a bit more mature than that. You're definitely not preventing people from buying their titles, ArmA is a whole other world compared to Halo. I want to play Halo for feeling like a super soldier and to experience the story, whereas with this I want to be a grunt in the foxhole holding off against some Innies. I'd go ahead and say your mod is a great segue between the two games and can introduce fans from each game to the other game. And I'm not sure, they might like to hear about it though and see how dedicated their fanbase is.

Also, have you considered documenting these questions that people ask? I feel like a written guide to the mod would be helpful for people to get a better understanding of the mod itself.

And would this also apply to the M12 in the passenger seat? Shooting out the side I mean.

That's the best way to approach the mod, the gameplay should come first. It would take a lot of development time to implement something like that as well, and I think we can all agree that we've had a fantasy of being an ODST and that's what most of us want. As for the BR, I think if you keep it as close to the XBR55 no one's going to mind much. Hell, all the information for it is there in the wiki it seems. Effective range of 900m with a 60 round magazine. Although me personally I wouldn't even care if every weapon of the UNSC arsenal was included, lore or not.

I think 343i is a bit more mature than that. You're definitely not preventing people from buying their titles, ArmA is a whole other world compared to Halo. I want to play Halo for feeling like a super soldier and to experience the story, whereas with this I want to be a grunt in the foxhole holding off against some Innies. I'd go ahead and say your mod is a great segue between the two games and can introduce fans from each game to the other game. And I'm not sure, they might like to hear about it though and see how dedicated their fanbase is.

Also, have you considered documenting these questions that people ask? I feel like a written guide to the mod would be helpful for people to get a better understanding of the mod itself.

About the M12, yes. We are going to try to implement all the new features from the new DLC the best we can, especially the shooting out of vehicles.

If we are on 343's radar, then good because we haven't heard anything official from them, Bungie, or Microsoft. If not, and they are not aware of us I would prefer to keep it that. Ignorance is bliss. Again, there just isn't anything to gain from contacting 343 about this mod. Only that which we can lose.

Oh yes, a FAQ is a good idea. I'll get started on that now actually and add it to the original post. But sometimes I'm not even sure people bother to even read it sometimes, lol.

i have a question for this mod is the MA5B Assault Rifle going to use a 32 round or 60 round magazine? or are you going to use 32 rounds for standard issue and a 60 round magazine for a SAW variant?

i have a question for this mod is the MA5B Assault Rifle going to use a 32 round or 60 round magazine? or are you going to use 32 rounds for standard issue and a 60 round magazine for a SAW variant?

We are going to be using the MA5C (even though it doesn't fit in the timeline) for the 32 round magazine. We will have a custom weapon that acts as the LMG/automatic rifle.

Retracting this statement. We have decided to go with the MA5B for lore reasons, and we will give the player the option of using 32, or 60 round magazines.

32 sticks more with gameplay, while 60 remains true to the lore. Mission makers and players may choose which they use. Obviously, 60 round one will be heavier than the other.

Edited by spacenavy90

We are going to be using the MA5C (even though it doesn't fit in the timeline) for the 32 round magazine. We will have a custom weapon that acts as the LMG/automatic rifle.

Retracting this statement. We have decided to go with the MA5B for lore reasons, and we will give the player the option of using 32, or 60 round magazines.

32 sticks more with gameplay, while 60 remains true to the lore. Mission makers and players may choose which they use. Obviously, 60 round one will be heavier than the other.

I think the main issue is you need to spice up the OP, add some of the recent mod pictures and make a nice FAQ, then people would look at it more I think. Just needs to be updated.

As for the LMG, I'm not even sure you need to make a custom one. The heavier 60 round magazines could be given to an automatic rifleman who lays down suppressive fire with the MA5B while your normal rifleman use their 32 round magazines for more precise kills. That way you'd stick to the lore and it would still make sense. Are you guys considering including the MA5K as well? It's a good middle ground between the MA5B and the SMG and was in use by spec ops.

I think the main issue is you need to spice up the OP, add some of the recent mod pictures and make a nice FAQ, then people would look at it more I think. Just needs to be updated.

As for the LMG, I'm not even sure you need to make a custom one. The heavier 60 round magazines could be given to an automatic rifleman who lays down suppressive fire with the MA5B while your normal rifleman use their 32 round magazines for more precise kills. That way you'd stick to the lore and it would still make sense. Are you guys considering including the MA5K as well? It's a good middle ground between the MA5B and the SMG and was in use by spec ops.

I've already included a FAQ in the OP and the most recent pictures are added to the moddb page but I'll update the imgur albums as well.

As with the LMG, it will have a higher magazine capacity, higher rate of fire, and better accuracy than the MA5B. Plus it will be something the Halo community hasn't seen before. The only issue we have with the 32/60rd magazines right now is that in nearly every situation it would be insane NOT to use the 60 rd magazines. The only balances we've come up with is either making the 60rd magazines much heavier and or making them take up two slots in the inventory.

With the MA5K, yes we have thought about it but never really came to any conclusion. It seems that the role it would perform could be done by SMG or MA5 just fine. It will most likely be included at some point, just not immediately.

How's this for more images! Lots of detail work going into the making of this pod. Should look real nice. Low poly retopo is all done and dusted. It's time to get down to business!

http://puu.sh/clY5R/3ba166eff7.jpg (159 kB)

still missing my pants, blown away like breaking benjamin

How's this for more images! Lots of detail work going into the making of this pod. Should look real nice. Low poly retopo is all done and dusted. It's time to get down to business!

http://puu.sh/clY5R/3ba166eff7.jpg (159 kB)

Finished the bake, as well. Textures tomorrow!

http://puu.sh/cm7v1/aa0cbd9cb7.png (1399 kB)

Beautiful work. Updated the OP with new info and better Imgur screenshot albums

I've already included a FAQ in the OP and the most recent pictures are added to the moddb page but I'll update the imgur albums as well.

As with the LMG, it will have a higher magazine capacity, higher rate of fire, and better accuracy than the MA5B. Plus it will be something the Halo community hasn't seen before. The only issue we have with the 32/60rd magazines right now is that in nearly every situation it would be insane NOT to use the 60 rd magazines. The only balances we've come up with is either making the 60rd magazines much heavier and or making them take up two slots in the inventory.

With the MA5K, yes we have thought about it but never really came to any conclusion. It seems that the role it would perform could be done by SMG or MA5 just fine. It will most likely be included at some point, just not immediately.

I think that's a good balance for the magazines, because they would way about twice as much. Isn't there a weight load in ArmA that slows down the player if they're over-encumbered?

Oh and I had another question, have you guys played around with the idea of SPI armor? It's essentially just ODST armor with crude cloaking capabilities, and I wanted to know your thoughts.

I think that's a good balance for the magazines, because they would way about twice as much. Isn't there a weight load in ArmA that slows down the player if they're over-encumbered?

Oh and I had another question, have you guys played around with the idea of SPI armor? It's essentially just ODST armor with crude cloaking capabilities, and I wanted to know your thoughts.

Yes, there is a weigh system. Hence the reason they would weigh more :)

Cloaking is absolutely not happening. I'll say that now. But if we decide to do SPARTAN-IIs, SPI armor is likely one of the variants we will make.

I should also say, that armor will not be playing much of a part in the protection of any soldier. Obviously, there will be some means of protection but not nearly to the degree that the lore would have us believe.

This is a "modern" day video game after all.

Wow...............

Simply...........wow..........