SpaceNavy

The Eridanus Insurrection - An Arma 3 Total Modication

you can already use them to play with in VA however we made it a requirement to have CBA which is fairly universally used throughout the community. shouldnt be an issue ;)

so... making progress. the pod is now a enterable vehicle and i've made my first few drops from 1200 meters. as the ground comes closer and you look out your pod you can feel an adrenaline spike... not even kidding. at least i do. kind of like those dreams where you fall and fall and fall and when the ground comes you wake up... this is awesome i tell ya

How does the pod do the ground impact as it is right now?

as of right now, and just for testing purposes, i set the player as well as the pod to "allowdamage false". seeing how arma doesnt really have anything like this we will have to either use this technique or come up with another way. i was thinking to simply have the pilot and pod to be invincible from 100meters to impact or so. upon imact the player would become killable again however i was also thinking to make a certain accident percentage. so for example a 15% chance of either the pod exploding on impact or the player dying. i know that the single man drop pod is designed like that, so if there is an accident only one person dies, not the whole squad. that being said i think, especially with the way we have to make it, there should be a chance of death on impact.

as of right now, and just for testing purposes, i set the player as well as the pod to "allowdamage false". seeing how arma doesnt really have anything like this we will have to either use this technique or come up with another way. i was thinking to simply have the pilot and pod to be invincible from 100meters to impact or so. upon imact the player would become killable again however i was also thinking to make a certain accident percentage. so for example a 15% chance of either the pod exploding on impact or the player dying. i know that the single man drop pod is designed like that, so if there is an accident only one person dies, not the whole squad. that being said i think, especially with the way we have to make it, there should be a chance of death on impact.

I believe that the death percentage doesn't stem from mechanical faults, but rather pods being hit by anti-aircraft guns.

so for example a 15% chance of either the pod exploding on impact or the player dying. i know that the single man drop pod is designed like that, so if there is an accident only one person dies, not the whole squad. that being said i think, especially with the way we have to make it, there should be a chance of death on impact.

I think you should reconsider adding a chance of exploding on impact. While it would be much more authentic, it could ruin game play for some players. Imagine a drop with your squad, dying on impact due to random chance, and possibly having to sit out the entire mission (not very fun) or respawn/rejoin server (not very realistic.)

Certain realism features need to be looked at carefully when applied to games. Take para-jumping for instance. In real life there is always a chance you could be severely injured when landing, either by a mistake that you made, an environmental factor, or a combination of the two. However landing with a parachute in Arma is always safe, no matter where or how you land minus certain situations...this is Arma after all.

yeah good point, was just a thought. will discuss with the team ;)

in the mean time here is a pic of my last drop test with a few textures. the screens are placeholders until we can get PIP on it.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/575652270966384990/DA632C05B9A547B92EFBECBB74CCFF1CC3F3D43E/

and this is currently what it looks like after impact. they stand with a slight tilt. hopefully we can get impact crators working too, just like when you crash an aircraft into the ground it leaves dirt everywhere. hopefully, but yeah, enjoy :)

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/575652270966390733/598544A81429A6EBB62A13CF716D63A37A676327/

Edited by Thedog88

Great looking progress, this mod is certainly coming together.

possible? yes. are we going to do it? yes. what would a drop pod be without the door blasting off after impact :D

possible? yes. are we going to do it? yes. what would a drop pod be without the door blasting off after impact :D

BIP BAP BAM.

also, signal lost? god damn those slipspace ruptures xD

Here's as good as I could make the ground impact with the default assets.

This mod will be a godsend!

Oh Jesus.

You create the mod of my dream.

Good luck ! (Please, make Sangheili :()

This mod takes place before first contact with the covenant.

some progress updates... this might seem little to some of you but to me its pretty big. managed to get proxies working on models as well as physx on the door... this means that yes... the door will blow off upon impact! ;) just re-confirming with progress

sadly,contradictory to the blow off door, the blow off feature is for only when the door jams, it opens normally for recovery use i believe

interesting. i thought it blew off everytime for quick exit but i may be off with that statement. will do more research. if the doors blow off everyime we will do that, if not we will add a "open door" and a "emergency exit" function to it so you can choose how you wanna go into battle ;)

ODST doors either Open normally (IE Safe landing) Or they can "Blow off" using explosive bolts (see Halo ODST for Rookies landing, and again once Buck finds Dares pod for the basic opening)

ok so giving the player the option for either or seems like the right thing to do then? sounds good

The trailer shows that the door seems to disappear towards the top of the pod, and then the standard procedure and canonical seems to open, and not to expel the door :D

Honestly, I think it'd look neater to have it blast off no matter what. I remember seeing somewhere and reading in one of the books that they blow off if wanted, and was used during combat drops. Also, in that video, the door is either opening super fast upwards, or flying off. Either way, I know the video is official and all, but official or not it doesn't make much sense anyways; The ODSTs dropping into the heavy combat zone probably wouldn't be using their weaker/silenced SMGs and Pistols, they'd be using their Shotguns, Assault Rifles, etc.

Although

interesting. i thought it blew off everytime for quick exit but i may be off with that statement. will do more research. if the doors blow off everyime we will do that, if not we will add a "open door" and a "emergency exit" function to it so you can choose how you wanna go into battle ;)

That seems like the best option.

Edited by Prototype556