Sign in to follow this  
Craig_VG

The Ghost Hotel (Zombie - SP)

ghostHotel-e1398272448398.jpg

Post on Website

Story:

Factories, shopping centers, hospitals, and hotels, I have been to all of them. My life as an urban explorer has been quite eventful. Danger always follows those who enter into a place untouched for years, but despite the peril I bring back glorious photos from across the world. My photos are world renowned, people have become fascinated with the sight of what they have left behind. The places where adults played as children have become rust and dust. Time takes away the glimmering beauty but leaves behind a different beauty; it leaves the beauty of decay.

Now I've traveled to this lonely isle in the Aegean Sea, it was once bustling with trade and tourism, but ever since Greece dropped support for the island and forcibly asked the residents to leave it has become a wasteland. But that’s perfect for me.

After a few days of hiking I arrived at my goal, the Ghost Hotel. It had its prime in the ‘80s, but since then it has decayed. Yesterday I did a daylight scope of the grounds. I decided an in-depth series of night shots would provide the best impression of this place. So I went to sleep.

Now I have awoken, 15 minutes before I planned. I am an extremely heavy sleeper, so something must have made a lot of noise. I think I’ll go check it out, luckily I brought my weapon in case anything is actually out there. Maybe lugging it all the way here will actually be worth it…

Overview:

This mission is just a quick demonstration of my new zombie scripts. In my past missions I've used Celery or Charon’s zombies, but now I’m working on my own. It should only take 5-10 minutes to play.

I’m thinking on releasing a lot more quick missions like this in the future, depending on the amount of attention this draws. I’m also looking into making a zombie campaign, but we’ll see how that goes.

If I can get these zombies into a good quality state I’ll probably reboot Dynamic Zombie Sandbox as well.

To the future,

-Craig

Download:

Dropbox Link

Steam

Edited by bobtom

Yay! Great to see you back to Zed missions, Craig, your DZS was groundbreaking, I bet your next endevour will push it even further... testing it now! (A Zombie campaign would be delightful!)

cheers!

;2683881']Yay! Great to see you back to Zed missions' date=' Craig, your DZS was groundbreaking, I bet your next endevour will push it even further... testing it now! (A Zombie campaign would be delightful!)

cheers![/quote']

Very much appreciate it man! I'm basically using this as a quick testbed for future missions.

At first sight, the zombie mechanics doesn´t seem to be much different from your previous DZS: zombies gather as a ever expanding mob and pathfind you, if they hit you more than 3 times on close-quarters, you´re toasted... they scream (gives me the chill nevertheless) and shout, but they still look healthy as there isn´t a bloody/hurt texture to them, and they handle a lot of taps/ torso shots but go down with a single headshot... basically the same as DZS!

The mission gameplay was new: some triggered events (lights go down, phantasmagoric baby moaning, bitch black darkness, quite scary but you have an objective, since you reach it without the said 3 hits, yu can escape for good!

So, Craig, in this mission you were testing these new features for a scary/survival mission, or there were subtle new zombie mechanics that I wasn´t able to spot?

cheers!

Oh man...

I spawned without flashlight too, I tried to use mcc and go to the debug console so I could add one, and while I was doing it I was hearing all the sounds and the screams getting closer, it felt like I was really trying to find a flashlight inside my backpack under pressure.

And that's not the worst thing, when I turned on the flashlight a fucking zombie was in front of me, I was shitting bricks.

So just a couple of bug report for now, no flashlight and a couple of zombies stuck into the floor's hotel.

Also if you wait for 30 seconds in the starting position you will die, and during the dead cam you will se an invisible zombie popping out below you.

But I'm gonna play it again right now, 2 minutes played because I died, but I'm already loving it, great job.

Edited by Antorugby

Edit:Flashlight problem fixed, will hotfix in a couple hours

@Corporal_Lib

No, there are no new zombie mechanics as of right now. The only real difference is that the scripts are mine now. In all my previous missions the zombies were from Charon or Celery from their respective projects. Now, however, I have written my own.

There are a few key advantages to this:

• I can easily and quickly update and change the base code.
  • The files are easily transferrable from mission to mission.
  • They are easily shared to the public as zombie scripts.
  • New features can be worked on without having to copy/modify someone else's work.

The zombies are basic now, and new features will come as the zombies develop.

Thanks Guys,

-Craig

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Hotfixed! Sorry about that guys!

[Fixed] Missing Flashlight

Download

Edited by bobtom

Can I make a request? :D

Once you got your zombies up and running (get it? harhar... hm...) would you consider either creating a zombie-unit mod that could be used with Zeus or rewriting your zombie-script into a standalone script (+ sounds), so it can be added to specific units in a mission?

Hello there

For me, a key element is to get them looking dead. Even if this was just through the use of standard wound textures.

I am going to try them out in a min. Good stuff.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

For me, a key element is to get them looking dead. Even if this was just through the use of standard wound textures.

I am going to try them out in a min. Good stuff.

Rgds

LoK

That's a great point. I really do need to get them looking dead. I'll see if I can get that implemented today.

Can I make a request? :D

Once you got your zombies up and running (get it? harhar... hm...) would you consider either creating a zombie-unit mod that could be used with Zeus or rewriting your zombie-script into a standalone script (+ sounds), so it can be added to specific units in a mission?

I love requests!

That would be pretty cool. I can see a lot of fun happening by a Zeus that could spawn zombies and directing the players from position to position.

One of the reasons why I made my own zombie scripts was so I could set them up in an easy format, so I'll be releasing a standalone script/mod pack eventually.

Thanks guys!

-Craig

One of the reasons why I made my own zombie scripts was so I could set them up in an easy format, so I'll be releasing a standalone script/mod pack eventually.

Yay! :)

@Corporal_Lib

No, there are no new zombie mechanics as of right now. The only real difference is that the scripts are mine now. In all my previous missions the zombies were from Charon or Celery from their respective projects. Now, however, I have written my own.

I had the wrong impression that you´d be using your own scripts since the convertion of DZS from A2 to A3... good to know that now the scripts are all yours and so you can expand them according to your mission concepts, I´m certain you´ll come along with something great! Don´t get me wrong, I´ve loved this proof of concept, was scary and moody, just didn´t know now it is 100% Craig´s work ;D

As orlok said, making the zeds look dead would add a lot of immersion and improve your scripts a lot! (Genesis92x is working on a zombie script too with a concept of a horde progression - infection of npcs and a prime zombie that starts and spreads the disease as a source of "evil" - and White Knight (steam name) that has a LEAPING/pouncing zombie script, just like L4D hunter type - buggy but nevertheless innovative concept - you should talk to them and make a "Zed group" and release it in form of addon just like Charon did back in A1, or at least inspire on their work)

keep up the undead work, Craig! Great to see you back to life (couldn´t resist the pun) =)

Genesis92x and I go way back, I should totally get in contact with him, I wasn't aware he was working on scripts himself.

I suppose I should also mention that my scripts also have the built in infection/turn into a zombie after you die functionality. The campaign I'm making is going to be almost completely featured around the initial infection (defending towns as the occupants get swarmed and then join the swarm).

I tried the version provided in the Dropbox link since the Steam link checks ok for "Subscribe" but the mission never appears in my subscription list.

The overview has no image and text which is a pity, but the text to go with the briefing is good. Gameplay is short (as this is a test bed) and very scary, but I do suspect the zombies to spawn a tad too close to the player's position. If fine-tuned this would be great for further, maybe more objective-based zombie missions.