Sign in to follow this  
Onto

"Can't connect to server." via "Host your own session"

Hi guys,

I can't connect on my friends server.

If he or I hosts our own session the other one can't join.

This problem appeared since the last patch. I can't join his session and he can't join my session.

We tried

-to open ports for Arma 3 (2302-2305 UDP/TCP) and for Steam (27000-27050 UDP/TCP). It still doesn't work.

-to run with admin

-also tested with different firewall settings

You can see the game via Steam at gameinfo in the DropDownMenu in your friendlist. With ping and players.

You can invite the other one but then the errormessage "Can't connect to server." shows up.

You can't find the game via Serverbrowser in Arma 3. Neither the option "Steam" nor "Gamespy" works. Still no session visable in the browser.

We used "host own session" to test our selfmade missions. We never had problems with it. Until last patch. We didn't change anything. Neither of us has a new computer or something like that. We paused 2 months creating own missions and now we started working again and connecting sessions won't work. Really confusing O_o.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thx for help!

Edit: Addons running: JSRS 2.1 and CBA

Edit2: Normal Version of Arma 3. No Dev.

Edit3: I know this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?176877-Can-t-Connect-to-server

Didn't help.

Edited by Onto

I am having this same issue too, I cant join my friends session and he cant join mine, we have both tried everything changing firewall settings to everything we can think of.

I have let him know about this thread too so that he can have his say as its very frustrating as we can not play at all hosting our own COOP missions.

We tried it again and it works now via IP.

Didn't work before but now it works for some reason.

We opened the ports and "Run with admin". Then connected via IP.

I hope they fix this. Join via Steamfriendslist is way easier and more comfortable

hi

i have the same probleme here :(

i try with the ip buit nothing

help !

Just letting you know that I have fixed this problem, switching from Steam to GameSpy in the server listing fixed it for me and my mates :)

same issue here too, i tried verify integrity, reinstalled the game, switching the list to gamespy, disable all addons, port-forwarding, restarting the router, nothing can help, the issue started to happen a few days after ARMA3 free weekend on Steam

Edited by benw

Just curious if you guys are using routers as I always had the problem running with one

Just curious if you guys are using routers as I always had the problem running with one

yes i'm using a router, but it was okay before, and other players can join my game

hello sir,

I have a problem since 2 months. I used to play in multiplayer on ARMA 3 with my ADSL line but by the 1st of MAy I still have the message "can not connect." Since I use a 3G+ key to play network. My access provider has probably blocked ports. Is it possible to bypass this restriction? With Battlefield 3 there are no worries we get to play without a problem connecting. Do you have a solution?

hope to read you soon and resolv my problem.

Since the loss of Game Spy; having connection problems, a bunch of us who used to be able to connect & game with ArmA 3 (A2 also) on eachothers PC cant any more. Dedicated servers direct (with ip & new port number) not a problem, but PC to PC ( to test new addons & missions) as of late no chance! even using ip address. Other games yes, trying ArmA 3 connection via Steam friends also wont work. Any idea if, when, or how this can be fixed? :butbut:

PS We can connect the old Arma Cold War Assault pc to pc! It still seems to have some sort of game spy system showing other servers straight away. whats that all about????

Edited by jgaz-uk

From a previous post I made in response to a similar situation:

Just an option for those who are having a hard time seeing each other's server, or rather not at all, I had the same issue with my friend.

I have found another way which works np through someone we know who uses this option for all his games including Arma3, as we all know Arma3 is not the only game

that is effected by gamespy shutting down.

My friend and I use Tunngle--> http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

You use lan to see each other's server.

How this works is you start tunngle up, login, choose the room you want either Arma3(usa) or another, and then once you and your friend are both in your room, minimize Tunngle,

and then startup your game and setup a lan game and you will see your friends server, or vice versa.

We been playing like this, and had no issues with anything, was good to play with my old friend after not playing with him for a couple of months.

Any questions about Tunngle send me a pm.

Edited by Günter Severloh

Will give tunngle a go but;

The problem Gunter was connection. Even when we can see the person in the list when you select join is says "unable to connect" The same PC's can connect Dayz or Takedown Red Sabre no problem but A3 & A2 since it went to steam simply wont link up.

Edited by jgaz-uk

So your saying you got Tunngle going, and you or one of your friends setup a mission hes hosting through lan, this also means all of you, or you and him are in the

same room, channel whatever on tunngle and this is the message you get when you try to join his server ingame through lan?

:butbut: Mein Gott! Not had chance yet to try Tunngle yet! Only just read your post. Have to persuade all the others to want to use it. Its actually not really something we should have to do, Bis or Steam should fix what they screwed up no?

Bis/steam really didn't break anything, it was Gamespy that shut down, went out of business something like that, so alot of games that depend

on gamespy for mp gaming are having issues too. i'm sure theres other things for steam, or even the server aspect of the game that need to be fixed.

As i said in my quote My friend and I got Tunngle as we had another friend whom we know but rarely play with, who uses it for other games aside Arma3 and he said get Tunngle and you

can host missions in Arma3 like you used to except its through lan.

So basically all you do is

=go to the site

=download it, Its free btw

=install it

=register to the site

=then start up Tunngle

=login

=then theres a network list on the left that will showup, its basically game type,

=for Arma3 choose shooter, and then scroll the list of the 100's of games listed and choose which Arma3 you want,

=then you click on that, it puts you into this room, or channel if you will,

and from there someone will need to setup a game through the game (host), once everyone is in the room on Tunngle,

= just minimize Tunngle and then join your friends server through lan, you will see it right away.

Hope that helps, again heres the site for Tunngle http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en

OK thanks for that hope to try it.

What puzzles us is other Bis/Steam games like Dayz, or ArmA Cold War Assault, (since the loss of Gamespy) still connect using the steam join friend system no problem at all, but A3 & now A2 wont! I wonder why?

Idk but my buddy and I tried steam and that didn't work for us either, its rather stupid tbh that we have to do all the crap just to play on each other's hosted mission

Bis needs to find and alternative like gamespy and not use steam, as steam is out of their hands, however they can somehow maybe adjust or fix, or update

some codeing on how the games connects through stem, IDK

I think its all to do with port forwarding A3 has stopped doing it automatically.Last night connected to a guy's PC who had a way of changing the ports on his router & I connected straight away!

I wonder if anyone has put a ticket in to Bis about this?

This should really be a priority by BIS. Another hurdle in the way to play this game is not what it needs. Just spent a good hour fiddling with port forwarding, fire wall settings etc.

and we could not get a small coop game going.

A month a go we could at least connect through IP adress. Now nothing works anymore.

It really shouldn't be necessary to rent a dedicated server or use 3rd party LAN emulators to play a 4 player coop.

Broken multiplayer has made this game a bust. It defeats the whole purpose of owning it.

I've tried port forwarding to the point of reason - beyond that and I might as well expose my entire home network to the internet; I can't understand how it worked perfectly fine with no changes to ports, network connection, configuration or topology and yet 2 patches later privately hosted Multiplayer games have come to a dead drop. I've searched these and other sources for some clue as to a possible solution.

95% of many of our reasons for loading up this game is to connect with other friends - what planet does it make sense to have to use a 3rd party VPN software in order to use the Multiplayer feature?

This thread and others needs to be amalgamated and sticky'd as I am sure this issue must be a critical priority in the queue. It's practically foundational.

Is there *any* official word from BIS on this? Or is this simply due to the void left from GameSpy closing and no connectivity via Steam? Great that were all on Steam right now and can see all our friends playing ArmA but unable to join them. I recall all those who were really opposed to the idea way back when. If you shift to an on-demand platform then an organization needs to ensure when product features stop working unexpectedly that fixes are issued in the same timely manner.

What about BattleLog's sophisticated Multiplayer Matchmaking system? Is there some way BI can make a deal with DICE, EA or Origin? :confused:

Anything at this point - I don't mind public servers but most don't carry the addon's many enjoy.

Practically no chance to host/connect to my friends either. I don't know if I'm unable to find anything, or BIS doesn't really talk about the problem - the only official 'guide' I found is about forwarding the ports, which, as confirmed by many people, isn't working for a large portion of players using a router. So the right way to play multiplayer is to change the network security settings and then hope that it will work?

I really hope we will at least get some info, or a possible fix. The current unavailability of multiplayer is a big deal for me and I'd like to get it working again.

Please tell me if there's a better solution than using other programs or removing router, I'd welcome a fix.