theevancat

The CSAT Modification Project (Release)

My quick fix for the replacement did work well, so it would be easy for you to give people three choices.

Another idea: You could make a tan/coyote version of the black vests and put that on the desert ("semiarid") versions, that would give them really good camo on desert maps. It would also fit to the other camo variants (especially the brown one), so mission makers could staff out different squads with different gear to differentiate.

And while the new vest is great, you shouldn't have taken out the old one (the retextured model) completely. If you have the texture still in there, then you could also leave in a few lines of config to make it available to people who might want to throw it into the mix somehow.

EDIT: here, I tried a quick color change, I think that would be a fitting color (also can be combined with coyote backpacks etc.):

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uxqbph

Edited by Brainbug

Okely dokely, neighborinos! Time for Q&A answers.

Hey TheEvanCat, I found a small bug in your replacement configs.

The CSAT recon marksman, have a weapon config wrong, there is written "srifle_DMR_01_DMS_pointer_snds_F" it causes a bug ("pointer" is a laser pointer right? well CSAT marksman rifle have only single rail attachement on top for optical sights, and don't have side rail attachements on sides of it's hand guard so mounting pointers or flashlaights is immposible there) and soldier have only pistol, it should be rather written "srifle_DMR_01_DMS_snds_F", then it works perfectly.

Will take care of. That config is based on what they had on SixConfig, which could have been mistaken. I'll submit srifle_DMR_01_DMS_snds_F instead of of srifle_DMR_01_DMS_pointer_snds_F.

yes, that bug should be fixed soon, as it leads to snipers having no scope at all, that can (and does) break missions completely.

btw, more variants of the replacement config would be great, I mean one pbo that replaces the troops with the dark brown variant, one with the light variant and one with the woodland one, so that one can swap out the pbo depending on the personal taste.

I can look into that as well. Shouldn't be hard to do, like you said.

Nice Mod and one of the best Addons out there! Keep up the good work!

I'm just curious. Are there any news about Alive and The CSAT Modification Project? Would love use units with different camo with ALIVE :)

Why, thanks.

As of yet I don't actually use ALIVE or MCC or anything else, so I'd have to go in and jigger with those. I'm not certain, but I think it has to do with groups.

;2791290']+1' date=' using alternate + Shahan and null problem... I´ve noticed, while browsing units on MCC that some of CSAT (5 to 6 unit types) are still vanilla, 2 characters (like Miller and Ryley on NATO) desert ammo bearer I don´t recall the rest, they still got yhe Bughead helmet =)

cheers![/quote']

If you could compile a list for me, that'd be fantastic. Keep in mind I didn't replace the gear, but the unit. This means that it won't overwrite gear already in the game.

My quick fix for the replacement did work well, so it would be easy for you to give people three choices.

Another idea: You could make a tan/coyote version of the black vests and put that on the desert ("semiarid") versions, that would give them really good camo on desert maps. It would also fit to the other camo variants (especially the brown one), so mission makers could staff out different squads with different gear to differentiate.

And while the new vest is great, you shouldn't have taken out the old one (the retextured model) completely. If you have the texture still in there, then you could also leave in a few lines of config to make it available to people who might want to throw it into the mix somehow.

EDIT: here, I tried a quick color change, I think that would be a fitting color (also can be combined with coyote backpacks etc.):

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uxqbph

I've talked about vest color a few pages before and you'd have to keep in mind how much work (and general download stuff) that would take up:

Maybe. I've always kept the black aesthetic with the flak jacket but that could change. Of course, that'd mean four different variants (maybe five if I ever get around to winter camo, six if we want a Navy hexpat) multiplied by the three variants existing. So I'd have to texture and config twelve to eighteen new vests. And that's not counting the proposed armored variant. It can be done, but maybe.

This is combined with the fact that there's going to be tons of new textures: the vest itself relies on old A2 textures and so I have three separate textures applied to the model. The models themselves were UV mapped and the textures could be applied, and I was pretty afraid of trying to make a new UV map for everything and screwing it all up so I left it that way. Camo textures would mean four new texture files per vest.

4 x 18 = 72 new textures.

I admit that this is pretty sloppy on my end, but it's the best I could do to achieve a higher quality texture than dumping everything and redoing the UV process and the texturing. Black is a good one-size-fits all, and it makes them stand out from other groups.

I could end up changing to tan, seeing as you can rock tan with various camouflage schemes. But then I'd also want to change boots, gloves, MOLLE straps, the helmet gear, and everything else that currently fits to the black aesthetic.

i have the replacement crash too, using any of the replacement pbos cause insta crash on start no more mods running, without them it runs perfect, anyway i love this mod, the new look for the csat guys is awsome :)

I had an idea as to what to do to make subdued flags, mind sending the flag file?

concerning the tan vest, I saw that you puzzled together some textures from A2, so that is certainly not easy to maintain. Probably also not so optimal for performance (because several textures need to be loaded, i.e. more memory wasted than necessary), so I wonder if it was easier to cut out the relevant parts and put them together on one texture. I have no idea about modelling, so I don't know how or if at all you can adjust that to the model so the texture fits, but it would certainly be a clean up step that seems to make sense on the long run.

But for now, you could just recolor the first vest you had, the default BIS model that you just retextured. That has only one texture and is relatively easy to change. What I uploaded in the above link took me a minute in Photoshop (just cut out the radio and flag area and then adjusted brightness, contrast and color; investing another minute or two would probably yield an even better result, if you give some parts a different shade) and another minute of copy and paste of some lines from your old config into the new one:

zx2dbruj.jpg

That just opens up a bunch of possible combinations, like those:

bmcn7dfd.jpg

Doesn't fit really great to the navy and woodland versions I admit, but after all I don't want to get rid of the black vest at all, because that looks really cool. It's just that in some situations a tan vest would be a welcome extra option.

But then I'd also want to change boots, gloves, MOLLE straps, the helmet gear, and everything else that currently fits to the black aesthetic.
You don't need to at all. In reality, often troops combine different gear, either because they have no other option or because it doesn't matter. Think of '91 gulf war USMC with partly woodland gear, Afghanistan guys who combine MC and UCP gear with personally bought coyote and black equipment parts (bags and pouches), Bundeswehr soldiers in Bosnia who had to use DPM vests because there were none in Flecktarn etc. So these Iranians could get a semiarid uniform and a tan vest for their desert deployment, but otherwise keep their other equipment that includes black straps for small stuff. I personally like vests that have not all single colored pouches, but some in coyote, some in olive, some in black and some in camo pattern, that really looks more realistic.

EDIT: Just tried how it looks if you recolor some pouches differently, that gives it this "we are spec ops, we buy our own gear"-style:

8skhbwea.jpg

(that would be this texture: https://www.sendspace.com/file/35xxq3)

This way one could have default army units with regular stock equipment, and spec ops teams with all differently personalized gear.

Edited by Brainbug

The different colored pouches just kind of strikes me as either transitional (IE, you get new flak jackets but there haven't been any pouches produced or you get your new BDUs and have your old battle rattle) or kind of sloppy. CSAT wants to show up as a professional force, and running around with ragtag mottled pouches isn't probably a go on most NCOs' lists. It's easy enough to get tan or black pouches.

And yeah, the concern about memory and loading textures is always there. I can try and run tests with it but I'm not sure if it's * that * big of a deal. But it could be. It was done this way because I tried to have it all in one and I broke it.

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

I had an idea as to what to do to make subdued flags, mind sending the flag file?

I have some subdued flags being made now.

However, I want to see if the Arma winged lion flag looks better than the current one. Plus it would kind of fit the theory that Iran has kind of fizzled out its ultra-Islamic craziness (I personally believe that it's going to happen soon as the older, radical generation dies out and the people my dad's age (post Iran-Iraq War generation) take their places, and kids of my generation (raised with the Internet and all that jazz) want change to have the same kind of things like the West does: jobs, free speech, and whatnot) and moderates out.

Hey great work and background story. The only issue I have is that they only represent a small portion of the CSAT group or imply they CSAT is mostly middle eastern. Considering that the CSAT would have to be borne in the future from the BRICs nations. That being said, It would have been even more nice IF there were units with no national affiliation (patches) to more accurately represent the variety of nation in CSAT (former BRICs).

IMHO, Great work in the end.

I'm definitely in favor of an ALIVE/MCC friendly version of these duderinos. I use MCC (with Zeus) a ton when playing missions with friends, and I'm learning to use ALiVE more as well. I'd love to completely phase out the default CSAT in favor of these guys with those systems.

Also: yay! Subdued flags! Can't wait to see how those turn out.

I've been able to fix the replacement config at the cost of not including the aircraft textures. However, that's not a big of a deal and I will release a fix with some other issues resolved as well once I unscrew the vehicles not showing up in Zeus.

concerning the tan vest, I saw that you puzzled together some textures from A2, so that is certainly not easy to maintain. Probably also not so optimal for performance (because several textures need to be loaded, i.e. more memory wasted than necessary), so I wonder if it was easier to cut out the relevant parts and put them together on one texture. I have no idea about modelling, so I don't know how or if at all you can adjust that to the model so the texture fits, but it would certainly be a clean up step that seems to make sense on the long run.

But for now, you could just recolor the first vest you had, the default BIS model that you just retextured. That has only one texture and is relatively easy to change. What I uploaded in the above link took me a minute in Photoshop (just cut out the radio and flag area and then adjusted brightness, contrast and color; investing another minute or two would probably yield an even better result, if you give some parts a different shade) and another minute of copy and paste of some lines from your old config into the new one:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141009/temp/zx2dbruj.jpg

That just opens up a bunch of possible combinations, like those:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141009/temp/bmcn7dfd.jpg

Doesn't fit really great to the navy and woodland versions I admit, but after all I don't want to get rid of the black vest at all, because that looks really cool. It's just that in some situations a tan vest would be a welcome extra option.

You don't need to at all. In reality, often troops combine different gear, either because they have no other option or because it doesn't matter. Think of '91 gulf war USMC with partly woodland gear, Afghanistan guys who combine MC and UCP gear with personally bought coyote and black equipment parts (bags and pouches), Bundeswehr soldiers in Bosnia who had to use DPM vests because there were none in Flecktarn etc. So these Iranians could get a semiarid uniform and a tan vest for their desert deployment, but otherwise keep their other equipment that includes black straps for small stuff. I personally like vests that have not all single colored pouches, but some in coyote, some in olive, some in black and some in camo pattern, that really looks more realistic.

EDIT: Just tried how it looks if you recolor some pouches differently, that gives it this "we are spec ops, we buy our own gear"-style:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141010/temp/8skhbwea.jpg

(that would be this texture: https://www.sendspace.com/file/35xxq3)

This way one could have default army units with regular stock equipment, and spec ops teams with all differently personalized gear.

Those vests look cool and all but would make no sense for 2 reasons

-1 that is a vest used by NATO forces,

-2 due to geographical location those vests would not fit their orgin as that would burden them climbing up hills with all that gear, they are bulkier that NATO in that aspect

well actually I only used that vest as a quick+dirty proof of concept because it has only one texture and was easier to adapt than the new custom vest (which explains TEC's reluctance to work on it), it was just a way to show how a tan vest would fit to the camo uniforms.

TEC, I still hope to have planted the seed of an idea in the back of your head, maybe if you have some spare time in the distant future you might think of a tan vest variant again :) The coolness of black is undisputable (though I think in the desert sun, it probably becomes quite hot^^), but also the better camo value of tan in arid/desert regions. ISIS fighters probably prefer to die faster and thus keep the black, but a mentally sane soldier would probably opt for the better camo. So an idea would be to have garrison troops, patrol troops etc. in the brown camo with shiny shoes, clean black vests and unsubdued flags to show off and intimidate, and additionally to that some special forces with the brown or semiarid variant (or combinations thereof or with uni-colored shirt), tan vests, subdued flags, a variety of cool headgear, beards and an overall dirty/dusty look for units that are in the field for some time.

But I'll stop nagging you about it now ;)

Thanks again for informing us about the new version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Found a small typo in the replacement config, the ammo bearer's classname is missing an "i", i.e. it says O_Solder_A_F, which should of course be O_Soldier_A_F. This leads to the ammo bearer not being replaced properly.

oh and btw., just a tip regarding version nomenclature: the name "1.4.1" would have been better here to signal a full version with a small incremental change (which it is), because the "1.4.0 fix" generally (in the software business) means that it would be an incomplete patch (i.e. just one or two pbos) that needs to be copied over the previous version, or that it is a re-launch of the previous, but wrongly launched (e.g. corrupt archive or similar) version. In any case, it is much better to just increase the version number, regardless how big or small you think the changes are.

I ended up going with that for some reason. I was going to just release the two PBOs that got changed but I forgot and ended up rehosting the entire thing so that people wouldn't get confused.

Also, the PWS mirror is or should be updated soon.

Here's your Saturday WIP report:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/531748515811170396/095403D77B6031955E5BD36A6FFAAF0EF439BC11/

Engineers at the University of Tehran have discovered antigravity. That is all.

They are also working on a cure for "GAHHH WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT GUY'S ARM?!" Disease.

Seriously though: yay Vodnik!

Then put a remote operated mg on it. Something with 7.62 (or the weird 6.5) and thus less anti-armor capability and less range but in turn much more ammo would be interesting as alternative to the usual .50 with relatively low ammo for extended firefights.

Okay, so just a quick reporting in. I'm still alive, but I've slowed down a bunch. School, family, social life, stuff like that. Plus I've gotten really into Counterstrike, so there's that. I'm also helping out with ASTFOR and various other bits and bobs for different people, as well as my own experimenting (uniform ports and configuring which may or may not play a part here, no promises.) Also, the damned Vodnik has been giving me trouble with PhysX and various features I want added like PIP, a camera, RCWS turrets, the backseats in the module, lights, and a texture overhaul to make the thing look newer. I'm new to this and help would be appreciated.

A few bug fixes are done and I'm busy working on the model of the vest (might end up cutting drop pouches because I discovered how awful the thing warps when crouched.) I'm also entertaining ideas of trying to script an optional CSAT battlenet to make the faction have its unique tactical advantage, kind of like that Poltergeist campaign that's pretty damn awesome.

The Shahan needs its destroyed model and I need to further work on textures. I think I overdid it when I tried to paint some dirt on its intakes. I fixed a bunch of stuff like the pylons. I should also add more LODs. Then I can stick it in as a permanent air asset once the CAS is finished (y u no werk, rokkit?) and maybe move on to helicopters.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the DLC data might get released and I can work on that. I want to have the Kart driver model (a flightsuit with gloves) textures as a CBRN chemsuit with its full covering, and try to build a gas mask to fit with the Penah. I also am wanting to slap some IRIAF insignia on the Taru and, in the interim, texture the MD500 (maybe the H-9 series as well if I can add doors) in a CSAT pattern to mimick a Chinese Z-11 SOF craft until I can find a good custom model (I'm trying to phase out retextured assets for now.)

I'm also thinking of changing the flag to the A3 winged lion concept from 2012. I explained my reasoning a while back, something about Iran being reformed and not as crazily Islamic anymore allowing for reforms and less sanctions and a bunch of political backstory, whatever.

Anyways, that's my comeback post that snowballed into a roadmap. Any suggestions are welcome. I'll be around.

Edit: Download finished and mod played with:

This...is....just.....wow.

This is what CSAT should have been from the beginning. This feels like a western power in the east. This feels like a military alliance that can stand up to NATO.... that people actually might enjoy playing with and against!

If I were you, my next move would be to finish the vehicles you are working on, then move to another CSAT member state. Earlier, I saw that you were thinking Iraq or Turkey. Those would be ok, but they would be fairly similar to Iran I feel. Maybe go for Russia, or China (I guess Russia isn't officially part of CSAT though).

I think it would be cool for you to add a new infantry rifle for another member state. Maybe an AK 12 or QBZ 03? Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

Edited by Baddazs

Edit: Download finished and mod played with:

This...is....just.....wow.

This is what CSAT should have been from the beginning. This feels like a western power in the east. This feels like a military alliance that can stand up to NATO.... that people actually might enjoy playing with and against!

If I were you, my next move would be to finish the vehicles you are working on, then move to another CSAT member state. Earlier, I saw that you were thinking Iraq or Turkey. Those would be ok, but they would be fairly similar to Iran I feel. Maybe go for Russia, or China (I guess Russia isn't officially part of CSAT though).

I think it would be cool for you to add a new infantry rifle for another member state. Maybe an AK 12 or QBZ 03? Just a thought. Keep up the great work!

First off, thanks for the support!

I was working on some concept Iraqi guys earlier and I may or may not still have screens. Russia is best left to separate packs since it's not really CSAT (just a foreign supplier.) I might hold off on China until I can get some other member countries in, but that's all still a ton of work. I'm working on getting vehicles in game for Iran right now and then working on whatever else I think should be done.

As for weapons, I'm still learning those. Maybe one day I can stick the Fateh rifle in (Google it, it's the new IRGC future rifle), but not until I learn how to do basic weaponry.