Sign in to follow this  
bigpickle

Will 3D Scopes Be Corrected

Hey,

I wanted to ask if the view and 3D scopes will corrected to represent a realistic rendition of looking through a scope, ie the scopes sight picture being magnified and not the players entire field of view.

Not sure if BIS have released a statement about this already or if its on there road-map of fixes for this year.

Thanks

Marksmen DLC could give some hope but I very much doubt that.

I'd settle for not having lights behind my head cast a blinding glare in the eyepiece.

I'd settle for not having lights behind my head cast a blinding glare in the eyepiece.

I agree.Nice clean scope is what feels right and is life like. ( I watched through aimpoint )

I have some old German made optics somewhere, sight picture is so clean it's almost like you are watching a lcd screen sometimes.

A choice to have RTT optics and normal 2d ones would be cool beans yo.

I wish they would just black out everything around the scope... isn't that closer to reality than how it is now anyways?

For example Red Orchestra 2 is able to magnify the scope only and not the entire screen (though it looks like holding the scope too far away from your eye). I really wonder why Arma 3 still has unrealistic scopes. At least the area around the scope should be blackened.

http://not-so-great-northern-transmission-line.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/scope.jpg (199 kB)

HMR100mInScope.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/USMC-08814.jpg (2088 kB)

It's really goes to show that picture sight is clear.Yes it gets dirty in war scenario but

then again you can clean it up (takes some work).So if I would make a decision I would

go for cleaner scope.

Next how do we achieve how close do we get to scope?How would it look like to be able

to adjust your head closer/farther from scope once you are looking down the sight?

Any game achieved that?

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

I come across this:

Tavor with Razor HD GEN2 scope (don't know scope)

But take a look how nicely it looks.

0:40s

For example Red Orchestra 2 is able to magnify the scope only and not the entire screen (though it looks like holding the scope too far away from your eye). I really wonder why Arma 3 still has unrealistic scopes. At least the area around the scope should be blackened.

Because of lots of things, I used to think in the same way "X can do it so why can't Y do it?"

Because Y uses a different engine which goes into not just what the engine is capable of but also how it handles it, the underlying processes and exchanges of information, bare code, all of the unseen factors.

All that aside, someone tried it.

Edited by NodUnit

Whilst TMR looks good, it still has the outer peripheral views zoomed in too. I don't understand why a realistic version has never been make by BIS.

Got all excited until i realized its mission based as opposed to addon :(

Edited by Bigpickle

Whilst TMR looks good, it still has the outer peripheral views zoomed in too. I don't understand why a realistic version has never been make by BIS.

Got all excited until i realized its mission based as opposed to addon :(

Nope, for something like that someone would have to make a weapon with PIP as the prototype, doubt we're going to see that publicly.

I feel like this method would be more practical if the reverse area was rendered via RTT and then blurred, since you want the area within the scope to be higher resolution and everything outside it is significantly less important.

Or, more practically, swap the quality settings when scoped in.

Edited by roshnak

Possible I guess, you need to come up with a way to detect when the player goes in and out of zoom, PIP set to 256 and 128 will be plenty blurred.

Wether or not there will be distortion on the model due to camera though I can't say...

I think scopes are fine the way they work now, but if you're going to go down the PiP road, I read an idea on this forum before that would make this feasible.

Instead of using RTT on the scope, use it on the area of the screen outside of the scope, and blur it. Since it's blurred, you can have the RTT resolution be quite low, while the inner scope renders like it always has.

And loses performance because it does it. Not to mention the resolution of the scope is something like 768xwhatever making long distance shooting, ironically, harder because of the low resolution.

Performance is bad enough I'm so sick of seeing these kind of threads asking for something that while realistic, is an unrealistic request for a game plagued with performance issues. The usual reply to this is 'well why not make it an option for the peoples whose comptroller can handle it', because I'd rather see developer time spent on something that benefits everyone instead of those who load the game up in the editor place a single unit down and make impressed noises when staring at the scopes

I think scopes are fine the way they work now, but if you're going to go down the PiP road, I read an idea on this forum before that would make this feasible.

Instead of using RTT on the scope, use it on the area of the screen outside of the scope, and blur it. Since it's blurred, you can have the RTT resolution be quite low, while the inner scope renders like it always has.

Nah thats a fudge around and would resemble what TMR does but blurring outside scope.

Possible I guess, you need to come up with a way to detect when the player goes in and out of zoom

There already is :

"INTERNAL" is when your in normal first person view

"GUNNER" is when your in scope view

You'd have to isolate it to the player and when not in vehicle weapon as well as it could get funky.

Plus if it were possible it would be better to not have a blur that was heavy outside of the scope, just enough to represent not being in primary focus. I presume that PIP allows a custom magnification so it would be accurate to the magnification of the scope......damn i wish i could code.

Edited by Bigpickle

And loses performance because it does it. Not to mention the resolution of the scope is something like 768xwhatever making long distance shooting, ironically, harder because of the low resolution.

The funniest thing to me about it is how it looks like the scope is a TV screen while you zoom in and while the bolt is being operated. :D

You can see it around 0:55 in

Nah thats a fudge around and would resemble what TMR does but blurring outside scope.

How is it a "fudge around"? And it is not what TMR does. TMR simply applies a filter outside the scope. PiP is the only real way to do what you're looking for in the engine, and what I posted is simply reversing the views, which is both better for performance and avoids any possible problems that come with PiP for the part of your screen that actually is important (the scope). Minor rendering errors, reduced FPS, and lower resolution are all things I would rather have on the outside of the scope, where I'm not looking, than inside the scope. The blur can mask the low resolution and other problems. The scope view will be the game's main renderer, at full FPS. How is that not ideal?

Can you explain how "the scopes sight picture being magnified and not the players entire field of view" does not describe what I posted?

Edited by vegeta897

while I know that using PIP for the scope part would not be ideal, with delay and low-res etc... how about if we do it the other way around? The peripheral vision part rendered in PIP, would that be possible actually? That way, even for people who set PIP quality low they wouldn't be affected too much, at least as far as shooting is concerned.

What does this mean to you saint jimmy?

(other then good news of course)

aaaaa_zps843b67fd.jpg

I'm interested in your opinion when tracker gets assign from feedback to assigned.

Next how do we achieve how close do we get to scope?How would it look like to be able

to adjust your head closer/farther from scope once you are looking down the sight?

Any game achieved that?

I think it'd easily be achievable with the +/- keys on the numpad. The closer you get, the higher the FOV of the scope image. I think the ACE mod for ArmA 2 did have this for certain HK rifles with the / key, albeit it wasn't as flexible.