Sign in to follow this  
meshcarver

Adjacent hard soft edges on model with soft on each?

Hey guys,

I've modelled a sphere with a cylinder attached to it.

Both objects (Now one) are smooth edged in Maya and have a hard edge where they meet. But, upon importing to O2 it softens the edge where they meet and I don't know how to make it hard again (lol...) in O2.

http://www.meshcarver.com/screenshots/EDGES.png

When I export as .OBJ I have "smoothing" checked too, and it does bring across most of them, but it's missed this particular part and I'd really like to know how I can go about making this edge hard again in O2 if possible?

Cheers for your time guys,

Marc

Yea, you're note the only one annoyed by the fact that O2/OB doesn't maintain all smooth/sharp edges on import.

It's a pain in the arse doing them again manually but it's possible, if a little time consuming.

To Fix it you have to select the verts along the edges that you want to be hard, then press [U] to sharpen the edge between any two selected points (conversely, [I] will soften the edge between any pair of selected vertices).

Clicking \Surfaces\[smooth/Sharp] Edges\ from the toolbar will do the same job, but the hotkeys are faster.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Your image doesn't help. Show us the topology*.

Edited by HJohnson

You can also try using FBX i guess, but it seems there is the same fucking issues as with OBJ. Oh, and Johnson means topology not topography ;)