warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

I think the DAP's will get more attention then the rest of the birds.... :lookaround:

Firefox I spent many, many hours with the BAS birds! Haha Anyways I thought id spoil you guys once more. Finishing up our M134 door guns. What you guys think?

I can not wait to able to play Black Hawk Down in arma3 with these helicopters

I can not wait to able to play Black Hawk Down in arma3 with these helicopters

Trust me we can't either haha. Im even making various BHD inspired engine graphics as well as some.custom ones

We just got RotorLib mentioned in lastest SITREP, things are getting more and more interesting here:D

We just got RotorLib mentioned in lastest SITREP, things are getting more and more interesting here:D

Yes they are my friend, yes they are ;)

Yea the diffuse turned out good, currently working on materials

@Eric

The DAP components and weapons systems have already gotten lots of attention. Its certainly going to see lots of missions so we have given it the time she deserves ;)

Cool, I like the Ghost Hawk a lot but something with a little bit of firepower doesn't hurt at all, good to hear.

Jeez, this stuff is really shaping up--great work guys! I definitely know what helis I'll be using. :p

Jeez, this stuff is really shaping up--great work guys! I definitely know what helis I'll be using. :p

RHS US Forces? :p ( just kidding! )

I'll use both together! :)

Hey glad to hear from you brother! Man it really is shaping up nicely, especially doing so much separately and then putting it all together, seeing the total package. Turning out great!

Hey,

Can't wait start using these puppies within our community. A quick question. As we are about to start using the Nimitz to base our missions from, would it be possible to add an animation that folds the blades so that we can fit a few more on board? (http://www.davisaircraftproducts.com/assets/images/Blackhawk.jpg). I am not sure at all if it is something that can be done in the scope of the arma 3 engine but the folding wings on the f-18 give me hope.

Keep up the good work!

Warlord said he would like to do this with the heli's.. its in the plans to make it possible so will see how it goes

Quick question (one that's been bugging me for a bit):

Since RotorLib is inbound to devbranch anytime soon, will the development of this (awesome!) mod branch out to cover both vanilla and Helicopter DLC flightmodels?

I speculated that continuing on the vanilla flightmodel would be priority while helicopter DLC flightmodel would be more of a secondary thing at this point.

Thanks in advance and anxiously awaiting release!

yes it will we have been waiting for it to be released

Hey,

Can't wait start using these puppies within our community. A quick question. As we are about to start using the Nimitz to base our missions from, would it be possible to add an animation that folds the blades so that we can fit a few more on board? (http://www.davisaircraftproducts.com/assets/images/Blackhawk.jpg). I am not sure at all if it is something that can be done in the scope of the arma 3 engine but the folding wings on the f-18 give me hope.

Keep up the good work!

Warlord said he would like to do this with the heli's.. its in the plans to make it possible so will see how it goes

Certainly nitpicking here on my part, but the model you guys are showing of the rotor ahead (from above) doesn't really have the hinges for the blades to fold. I know the 160th birds have the ability to fold their blades, but I'm not sure if they actually have blade fold motors. I think they fold them manually. When spreading them again, they just put the blade lock pins in manually.

All of that doesn't really affect how great this will look in game, though. Looking forward to them.

We haven't really designed and modeled the birds for such animations, we have to weigh many factors, most importantly what will look killer ingame, but not kill framerates at the same time. Im sure mission makers(myself included) will have massive soar air assault operations with many birds deployed at once, but rest assured attention to the small details is top priority :)

Since the beginning I wanted to give mission makers something to look great on the flight deck and mechanics sheds. I have many ideas regarding various "props", but priority is mission.capable first, then the team will.discuss this area

As always thanks for your feedback guys

Very nice MH-60M; I'm curious though, did you model elastomeric or spherical bearings on the PC rods? The face of the bearings look rounded.

Hey,

Keep up the good work!

While it may save space, ~53 feet, it is a pain in the balls (Depending on your position on the fold team) and takes quite a bit of time.

Certainly nitpicking here on my part, but the model you guys are showing of the rotor ahead (from above) doesn't really have the hinges for the blades to fold. I know the 160th birds have the ability to fold their blades, but I'm not sure if they actually have blade fold motors. I think they fold them manually. When spreading them again, they just put the blade lock pins in manually.

All of that doesn't really affect how great this will look in game, though. Looking forward to them.

Any blackhawk can have its blades folded, anything that isn't a navy bird has it done manually though. Its a very detail oriented and requires a lot of muscular strength/ endurance. I wish so very badly that our Mikes had the automatic fold system.

Basically you take a blade pin out and hinge the blade around. For the front two, you add some extra linkages to get them to swing around further.

While it may save space, ~53 feet, it is a pain in the balls (Depending on your position on the fold team) and takes quite a bit of time.

I am sure that in the real world folding the blades is a non-trivial task if it isn't automated or even when it is. As of yet i am undecided on how realistic (read time consuming) i wan't to make the logistics on the nimitz for our ops. It could be just an action to activate the animation or i could have 4 guys standing there working on it for 10 minutes. Point is without the ability to fold them it is likely one can't even fit them on the lifts which is my concern. Beyond that the saved space is added bonus when towing the stuff about in the not too roomy hangar deck.

WarLord: I am aware a feature like this is low on the priority list, but it makes me happy it is being considered.

I am sure that in the real world folding the blades is a non-trivial task if it isn't automated or even when it is. As of yet i am undecided on how realistic (read time consuming) i wan't to make the logistics on the nimitz for our ops. It could be just an action to activate the animation or i could have 4 guys standing there working on it for 10 minutes. Point is without the ability to fold them it is likely one can't even fit them on the lifts which is my concern. Beyond that the saved space is added bonus when towing the stuff about in the not too roomy hangar deck.

WarLord: I am aware a feature like this is low on the priority list, but it makes me happy it is being considered.

I think folding rotors is only one of the things you need to be concerned with in regards to Nimitz operations with aircraft not designed to be operated and maintained aboard a ship. Below are some comparison shots of the Seahawks and Blackhawks (Navy/Army) and what you need to look at is how the Seahawk's rear landing gear has been moved up the fuselage of the aircraft. This helps with lift operation as the bird doesn't take up nearly as much room on a lift with it's gear brought in that close together and also helps with flight deck maneuvering as it doesn't have an on the ground turning radius nearly as wide as that of it's land based brothers. Folding rotors is only one part of the problem. The pushed up rear landing gear also allows them to fold the tail in alongside the rotors which -really- gives crews the space needed to maneuver the bird around both in the hangar and on the flight deck. Yura Petrova has some good Seahawk models in A2 that he's rumored to be bringing to A3.

800px-SH-60B_Seahawk.jpg

mh-60+blackhawk.jpg

If you're not trying to take them from hangar to flight deck though there really is no problem. Otherwise.. Yeah..

OK guys

th_V0gHAfG.jpg

th_LlwUWDp.jpg

Look it has happen it does happen. lets stay on topic in not get into a discussion on what does what please

And b00ce thanks for pointing that out... I didn't see that before hand.

Nobody was arguing that it doesn't happen. I was pointing out that it's harder to do it with a bird not designed with shipboard deployments in mind, which is what you would be dealing with right here with the SOAR birds.

On another note:

Are you guys going to animate the suspension like Yura did with his 60 series aircraft?

What about fast rope bars? (I don't know the proper nomenclature for them) Will they extend/retract via pilot/crew command or will they be fixed and the doors in turn be fixed open/out?

Nobody was arguing that it doesn't happen. I was pointing out that it's harder to do it with a bird not designed with shipboard deployments in mind, which is what you would be dealing with right here with the SOAR birds.

On another note:

Are you guys going to animate the suspension like Yura did with his 60 series aircraft?

What about fast rope bars? (I don't know the proper nomenclature for them) Will they extend/retract via pilot/crew command or will they be fixed and the doors in turn be fixed open/out?

Very good question bud, we asked the same thing when we were developing the mod.

The suspension will be fully animated as it's an easy task to achieve. I also think it will add to realism

The fastrope bars will be animated, however we haven't decided on the exact deployment method. It will most likely extend and deploy ropes automatically when the fastrope command is given.

I would like to incorporate two kinds of birds, one with "feet hanging seating", in which the doors would be open. And another with full inside cargo seating with animated cargo doors. It won't be hard to include, we will just have to provide extra cargo seating animations. We have discussed numerous seating options already, and we hope to satisfy the community as much as possible. The pilot doors on both the mh6, and 60 will be removable through the service menu, as well as other components. Giving players alot of different deployment options based on mission needs.

And rest assured guys, I myself do alot of missions based of ships, so we will try our best to accommodate naval storage and deployment

Any blackhawk can have its blades folded, anything that isn't a navy bird has it done manually though. Its a very detail oriented and requires a lot of muscular strength/ endurance. I wish so very badly that our Mikes had the automatic fold system.

Basically you take a blade pin out and hinge the blade around. For the front two, you add some extra linkages to get them to swing around further.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a normal thing on conventional Blackhawks, but I know the 160th birds could do it. And extra linkages...? Yikes. Sounds like you would need to run vibes every time you had to fold them. Ouch.

And rest assured guys, I myself do alot of missions based of ships, so we will try our best to accommodate naval storage and deployment

I didn't mean to derail the thread, I just understand you guys are detail oriented, so thought I'd put it out there. If it's a dedicated mission set, like that picture of an entire Company (?) of 160th on the carrier, then needing to fold is probably minimal. Even landing on a small boy, it's not going to happen regularly unless it's a special mission, like the Tanker Wars, and then it was just AH-6s. The single biggest reason to fold, beyond space, is to get the aircraft out of the elements and in cover (in the hangar), something I think the Navy is far more sensitive and aware of than the Army, just due to where we operate all the time.

This should be the extra linkage mentioned :).

Here a UH-60M folded up for transport in a C-17

But yeah, basicly anything is possible. Since we aim for realism, we will try to give it as much features as possible, but not all will be available from the first version.

Best regards

Mag