warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

lol never fails someone gonna ask for a release date..

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Something that popped up in a recent conversation with an aircraft enthusiast friend:

Will a AH-6 with hellfires mounted on a rack be able to lock on to lasers/lock onto the target by itself?

In the same scenario, would a pilot be able to lock onto something with his hellfires by looking at it + pressing the lock-on key (similar to a Titan launcher except without actually facing the target dead-on. I'm imagining at least a 45 degree cone ahead of the helo)?

We plan on leaving the targeting up to the copilot, when it comes to the hellfire's. Targeting will be done threw the FLIR pod

Darn. I really did space out on this reply.

Thank you, WaCkO!

Also (before I forget), would you mind posting the order in which the frames will be worked on in the opening post, I believe as that is an important enough thing to plaster on the first post :p

Darn. I really did space out on this reply.

Thank you, WaCkO!

Also (before I forget), would you mind posting the order in which the frames will be worked on in the opening post, I believe as that is an important enough thing to plaster on the first post :p

Not quite sure what you mean. The blackhawks are being worked on first, followed by the little birds, then the MH47G. Is this the answer your looking for

Not quite sure what you mean. The blackhawks are being worked on first, followed by the little birds, then the MH47G. Is this the answer your looking for

Yes it is.

Could that tidbit of information be posted on the first post to avoid that question?

I almost asked that same question again before searching the thread to see if it was already answered.

It kind of is important for a unit that seeks to be a virtual unofficial version of the SOAR. :p

No problem, first post has been updated with current info. We will also update the pictures soon to reflect current texture status (as we are always trying to develop textures/rvmats). The guys have been hard at work with the weapons models, and we have started the cockpit textures/placement.

Many thanks!

If all goes well with you lads, this'll be a christmas present, right? (Kidding! :p )

Lima WIP Dash

<a  href=Cockpit.blend_zpsacxijso7.jpg' alt='Cock

@Subscyed

We still have a lot of work to do, but we will see ;)

I don't want to freak you gentlemen out. But this project gave me a war boner. I really can't wait to see your first release.

I think they'll wait for the helicopter DLC to put sling load and firing from vehicles to their choppers

maybe they'll also add fastrope ability :)

I thought I had put all that on the first page, maybe I forgot. But all helos will have FFV, fast roping, and all but the littlebirds will have sling loading. For the mh47g maybe have ramp cargo position version, and let them have FFV capabilities. We will see, making everything from scratch is very time consuming but just know we are working hard

Sounds good :) How do you plan to do the fastroping, would you use the Lifter mod or do you plan to make your own fastrope feature?

We can do either, we are shooting for no dependencies, but raven has already given us support for his fast roping if we want it, we will see as we still need to experiment with the rope simulation, also would like to apply it to the feedbelts for realism

I thought I had put all that on the first page, maybe I forgot. But all helos will have FFV, fast roping, and all but the littlebirds will have sling loading. For the mh47g maybe have ramp cargo position version, and let them have FFV capabilities. We will see, making everything from scratch is very time consuming but just know we are working hard

Will it be possible to FFV as a co-pilot in the xH-6?

Very good question, and nice job thinking outside the box. Its absolutely possible, but you will lose "co pilot" capabilities. Make a custom "facing out the door" cargo anim. Perhaps make it a variant, we will see :)

Very good question, and nice job thinking outside the box. Its absolutely possible, but you will lose "co pilot" capabilities. Make a custom "facing out the door" cargo anim. Perhaps make it a variant, we will see :)

Sweet. :)

Never mind it being a Kiowa.

Similar to the commander position in tanks, one could make it so that the position is only enterable when in the co-pilot seat.

Correct me if wrong. Wouldn't that include, in one way or another, an extra seat with animations, models and all the desync problems changing seats in-flight brings?

Such problems as being kicked out of the chopper and skidiving to one's death.

Also, on that note, would it be possible for a co-pilot on a blackhawk to do the same only if the blackhawk had no doors?

Could then tie the extra seat's code to the door part of the service menu/variant of the helo.

I honestly have no clue as of yet. We haven't started feature development, and we are unsure of the limitations of such features(and the problems they may bring). We will do our best to push the limits though

Loving the progress guys, have you thought about including some sort of HMD with the helo's? I've been using Kimi's HMD addon for a while and whenever I don't use it I do miss the added information it gives you. You guys are obviously shooting for no dependencies, but I'd just like to know where you stand on HMDs :)

Loving the progress guys, have you thought about including some sort of HMD with the helo's? I've been using Kimi's HMD addon for a while and whenever I don't use it I do miss the added information it gives you. You guys are obviously shooting for no dependencies, but I'd just like to know where you stand on HMDs :)

If they're going for realism then the HUD would only be active with NVGs. At least that's how it is in the real army... Not sure if 160th is THAT special. :rolleyes:

The LIMA will not have the HMD, however we will do our best to simulate as much data on the panel screens as possible, including flir PIP. The newer generation aircraft will get HMD upgrades however, including the MH60M, MH47G, and A/MH-6M. Hopefully have the LIMA cockpit textured/placed soon, will try to get you guys some good pics

It's possible I might be the only one or at least one of few to think that HMDs having a bit too much info makes pilots all too dependant on them.

But that's a discussion for posterity.

Questions for the team (I know I'm always bringing you some):

- As far as avionics go and arma 3's engine limitations, what info can you give us about the terrain radar?

- Will we have a TAD or TAD-like display for those that rather have immersion over carrying a pocket GPS?

- Will the NVGs enforce a black border around them like the vanilla ones do or will they work similarly to DCS' (non-nvg around the circle)?

- ECM and Flares. Currently, flares have a heat-seeker diverting ability as well as a ecm component to them (as per vanilla). Will this be separated?

- Jammers! Will these be toggleable between auto, manual and semi-auto as well as have modes to them?

Lastly,

- How are you all feeling about this project, the experience it's bringing so far and the lessons learned while working on it?

Thank you for your patience, gents, and best of luck!

well, I assume you mean terrain following radar? If so I have discussed this with Mandoble, and its going to be easy to incorporate the terrain following "lines" on your HUD(which we will try to overlay on a panel screen on the LIMA.) But SOAR pilots will have terrain following radar simulated, which is a feature I strongly believe in. The exact limitations are yet to be seen, but we will keep the community posted the whole way, and will research/recruit help if needed to bring you guys an awesome flight experience avionics wise.

Are you talking about Apache style TADs? Pilots/co pilots will have full FLIR targeting capabilities, laser targeting, and general acquisition. This will be translated to all of our SOAR helos. The MH60M/47G will have the updated FLIR system, with slightly better capabilities. As well as the A/MH-6's

NVGs will be simulated much like my GPNVG18's. With a better FOV. Whether or not we go full screen NVG is undecided. But I have learned a lot lately about NVG development, so that will be translated to the players experience. One note id like to tell you guys is that I have several ideas about cockpit lighting and "glow". I have some cool stuff lined up for you pilots, stay tuned ;)

Flares, and countermeasures in general, are an area we will spend much time developing. This is what truely seperates SOAR airframes from anyone else. Aircraft survivability is vital to mission success, and we have discussed many different ideas regarding this subject. Flare options, better IR engine reduction, mixed with better simulated avionics will increase your guys chances dramatically on deployments. Exact features for our birds will remain classified until further development ;) Rest assured we have many cool ideas regarding it, and will test every possible option. Whichever route we go we will provide an indepth readme explaining uses of our birds, and will provide a few pointers to the less experienced pilots regarding special operations aviation and employment.

Jammers are another area that will be under heavy development, but we will give pilots several mode options

We have all learned a lot while making this MOD. I think most importantly what we can achieve when a motivated team joins together to share a dream. I'm not going to sugar coat it though, a mod of this caliber takes a lot out of you. Its ALOT of work making assests from scratch, and on this level. I am very proud of our team though, they are very commited and loyal to the cause. We have all worked many long nights to get to this point. We are very excited to bring the community these birds, and even after release will continue to better them, and bring you others.

As always we truely thank you guys for your never fading support, criticism, ideas/thoughts, and laughs. Seeing you guys on this thread, as motivated and excited as us makes every minute worth it, thank you :)

Best Regards,

S.O.A.S.

Edited by WarLord554

If they're going for realism then the HUD would only be active with NVGs. At least that's how it is in the real army... Not sure if 160th is THAT special. :rolleyes:

The -60S is/will have a daytime/night time HUD in the form of a monocle. I believe the test squadrons have them but I don't think it's been fielded quite yet, or if it has, it's very new, but they're out there. It's supposed to couple with the 20mm gun the -60S is getting, as well. I'm actually tangentially working on trying to potentially get it on the a couple of -60Rs as well (with no gun), but it's a slow process.