- rear stabilizer animation fixed

- right mfd compass is still jacked up

- some rvmats need tweaking

- some more angles of the custom cargo anims

- still having issues with gunner holding door guns 

- rotor blur needs some love

• Like 4

Looks really awesome. 

Is the the horizontal stabilizer animated? Does it have any effect on the flight model? Not sure if Arma models this or not?

Rear stabilizer is animated. However, it's only so much. Not like a jet. Rather under 75 (I think) it will fold down. Above 75mph it will level out. I'll look at jet flight model and see about adding properties regarding rear stabilizer for the helo afm 

• Like 2

My 2 cents is it might not be worth the effort unless you could actually slew the stab manually, which could understandably be out of the scope of the mod.  If the stab is working normally, the helo flies as it should.  If it is in a manual mode, then things are weird (basically high nose attitudes when decelerating, but normal hover attitudes), but if you can't slew it in-game, not sure it really matters.

I can't give you BH limits, but I wouldn't surprised if it's similar to the Seahawk (though slightly different due to CG changes):

0*...150 knots max

10*...100 knots max

20*...80 knots max

30*...60 knots max

40*...45 knots max

It also does various things in autos and turns where it will slew up up to positive angles, but really, way more than it matters in game.

But if you were actually building that in there, that's pretty epic.  Hopefully it won't delay release!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warlord554 said:

Rear stabilizer is animated. However, it's only so much. Not like a jet. Rather under 75 (I think) it will fold down. Above 75mph it will level out. I'll look at jet flight model and see about adding properties regarding rear stabilizer for the helo afm 

Awesome. After reading Ed Macy's awesome  book "Apache" where he mentions that the AH-64 tail stabilizer is powerful enough to break a man's legs, I started looking out for moving ones in game :D

Franze and Nodunit's Ah64 has it..and now so does this!

Only issues regarding playability will affect release. I'll add everything else in updates

• Like 2

Excellent description Gaterdev.

Thanks Warlord for the hardwork. 

I think that you could get away with say three settings for the stabilator.  Full down for 0 to 50, medium (20*) 50 to 100, and zero above 100. Unless you really want to do the full gamut.  Alternately having it full down at a hover and zero when you go faster might work okay as well.

4 hours ago, ineptaphid said:

Awesome. After reading Ed Macy's awesome  book "Apache" where he mentions that the AH-64 tail stabilizer is powerful enough to break a man's legs, I started looking out for moving ones in game :D

Franze and Nodunit's Ah64 has it..and now so does this!

The stabilizer doesn't move on the 64D (or the 60). The stabilator does.  The Stabilizer if the vertical "fin" where the tail rotor and TRGB are.  The stabilator is the horizontal bit that actuates.  Not that it matters, just wanted to clear that up lol

• Like 1

Just now, islesfan186 said:

The stabilizer doesn't move on the 64D.  The stabilator does.  The Stabilizer if the vertical part where the tail rotor is.  The horizontal thingy is the stabilator.  Not that it matters, just wanted to clear that up lol

Well I've been told :f: 

That is literally the first time I have ever heard the term "stabilator"...and it's even  showing up as a spelling error in my post.. Thanks for the info :D

Just now, ineptaphid said:

Well I've been told :f: 

That is literally the first time I have ever heard the term "stabilator"...and it's even  showing up as a spelling error in my post.. Thanks for the info :D

No biggie.  I worked on 64's for 7 years.  They're normally just referred to as the stab, so it's easy to see where people get confused between stabilator and stabilizer 

• Like 1

Just now, islesfan186 said:

No biggie.  I worked on 64's for 7 years.  They're normally just referred to as the stab, so it's easy to see where people get confused between stabilator and stabilizer 

Oh that's awesome. Not to derail the thread, but you should read the book i mentioned (if you haven;t already) I think you would like it.

I wonder if we could get the horizontal "stab" to work with the flaps key bind.

I am using a Hotas Warthog and this would make the most sense to me.

Reed

I'll see what i can dig up regarding the stabilizer i've got a few sources, also i'm pretty sure i require a change of pants now those birds are probably some of the most beautiful mechanical birds i've seen in years. Great work. 

Amazing work Warlord, the helo's look excellent!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jnr4817 said:

I wonder if we could get the horizontal "stab" to work with the flaps key bind.

I am using a Hotas Warthog and this would make the most sense to me.

Reed

But again, to what end?  You don't ever manually adjust ("slew") the stab unless it stops working or you're doing a training flight practicing flying with it at some position other than "AUTO," which is REALLY anti-climatic unless you're going to the back of a boat at night....and probably into a zone at night.  But really, the stab amps are really reliable at this point, so they very rarely fail.

BUT...I get it.  Arma 3 is all about options, which is why I love it, so I'll shut up now and eagerly await these beautiful helos.

• Like 2

Warlord, they're looking fantastic!

Just out of curiosity, maybe I missed it somewhere in the posts, but was there a reason for making the windows on the sliding doors square, rather than curved? Any of the pictures I've seen of UH-60's and MH-60's they're curved at the edges.

Examples:
mh-60m-msot-hr.jpg

20160427145043_1_zpsacpz3uch.jpg

2 hours ago, gatordev said:

But again, to what end?  You don't ever manually adjust ("slew") the stab unless it stops working or you're doing a training flight practicing flying with it at some position other than "AUTO," which is REALLY anti-climatic unless you're going to the back of a boat at night....and probably into a zone at night.  But really, the stab amps are really reliable at this point, so they very rarely fail.

BUT...I get it.  Arma 3 is all about options, which is why I love it, so I'll shut up now and eagerly await these beautiful helos.

GatorDev you are right, its because of options.

I am not a pilot, I am a flight nurse who wishes he could fly, lol. All of the pilots I work with were BlackHawk pilots and 2 were 160th. They just talk about different training and maneuvers and things and slewing the stab was one of them. The entire reason I asked.

Thanks again for your explanation earlier of its intended use.

Reed

@adrian858

It was originally done that way for poly reasons (cut polys where I can)

I have since remodelled the doors, nose, and other stuff not shown in pics yet. Also have all new higher quality textures for everything. But all that stuff will be in updates after alpha release

• Like 14

17 hours ago, warlord554 said:

@adrian858

It was originally done that way for poly reasons (cut polys where I can)

I have since remodelled the doors, nose, and other stuff not shown in pics yet. Also have all new higher quality textures for everything. But all that stuff will be in updates after alpha release

Gotcha, I had a feeling that might have had something to do with it.

Having followed this topic for quite some time along with so many others, the progress is amazing, and I know I'm not alone when I say that we're all eager to see these beauties in there full glory!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jnr4817 said:

GatorDev you are right, its because of options.

I am not a pilot, I am a flight nurse who wishes he could fly, lol. All of the pilots I work with were BlackHawk pilots and 2 were 160th. They just talk about different training and maneuvers and things and slewing the stab was one of them. The entire reason I asked.

Thanks again for your explanation earlier of its intended use.

Reed

Completely understand.  And ironically enough, in a few months, your community (HEMS...or whatever we call it now..AA?) is at the top of my list I'm trying to get into.

• Like 1

Helicopter Air Ambulance is the new name the FAA wants us to use, I liked HEMS better. Best job I've ever had and love every minute. I hope to stay in this profession as long as my back will let me.

Back on topic.

WarLord,

Will the DAPs use any custom munitions or stick with the vanilla munitions? Is it compatible with the dynamic loadouts?

Sorry if I hadn't seen these answers before.

Reed

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moonwalk_Santa said:

Is there anywhere i can download this mod?

Still WIP :)