warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

Yes most just simple stuff like pilot/copilot fitment with the pedals and sticks, gunners holding guns. Cargo positions, and possibly custom ffv anims

• Like 4

warlord now that we have custom weapon loadout for planes and heli's, are you planing on adding that ?

good to know :) awesome work cant wait for the finished version 

door gunners now officially hold the gun and animate with it properly. I currently have 2 gunner anims, one sitting, and one standing. Will look into scripting an addaction to allow players to switch between the two. But if i cant, which would you guys rather have?

sitting gunner or standing door gunner?

need to finalize cargo and ffv animations. 

• Like 10

what would be awsome, could be that they switch from the sitting to the standing if the helicopter moves slower as 30-50 km/h as they would th check if the lz is free of obstacles.:upside:

Sitting door gunners is the tried and true ArmA method, so I would personally not have a problem with that. Though I am having trouble wrapping my head around how a standing Black Hawk door gunner would look in ArmA. Would it be something like this, or would the gunner be standing inside the compartment?

You got the gunners holding the guns and moving?? I don't care if the sit or stand-well done for fixing that!

I never understood why that was such a problem-when Humvee gunners etc can hold turrets, why could chopper gunners not?

• Like 1

I'd say go with the standing ones, every time I was in a gunner seat in Arma I complained about visibility more than anything else, this looks like it solves that.

• Like 4

Looking good! Would it be possible to have the gunners mount the guns (and thus stand up) when the situation requires it? Sort of like the mounted 50 on the RHS tanks. That way they could sit down when nothing is really happening. 

I like the standing one better. I think the way you have the animation right now is pretty much perfect, except he kinda looks like a robot. Maybe it would help if you could shift his left leg inwards towards the helicopter to make him appear to be supporting himself while in flight? That's just my opinion, you know so he doesn't appear to be so perfectly propped up in his position.

I like the standing animation, but it may look a little strange with a guy with his head out of the aircraft moving at 275 kph.

1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

I like the standing animation, but it may look a little strange with a guy with his head out of the aircraft moving at 275 kph.

True, although it wouldn't be abnormal at 220-ish KPH. 

Perhaps an interim solution would be to have an addaction that allows the gunners to switch to regular seats (if they're not occupied) and then back to the gunners seat when needed.  That way we could get standing animations while also not having a guy poke his head out the window at all times.

Either way, looks great, and would still be very happy with the fixed, standing anims if that turns out the be the easiest solution.

From what i've seen, they usually "hang" out the window to assist the pilot when landing (mostly in small area's) while they sit while gunning, i would prefer sitting, and if possible leaning/hanging out in an non gunning role

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Foxone said:

From what i've seen, they usually "hang" out the window to assist the pilot when landing (mostly in small area's) while they sit while gunning, i would prefer sitting, and if possible leaning/hanging out in an non gunning role

Typically a crewman (or whatever the Army calls them) is going to push out and forward when approaching the target and once on target, engage.  As the target moves into the 3-9 line, they'll be back inside, and depending on how much angle the pintle-mount gives, they'll be something in-between as the target approaches the aft stop.  Here's an example (yes, I know he's not at the waist, but at the door, and yes, I know it's an older weapon, but it's a pic I have from a deployment that demonstrates my point).

35601731340_0618ddf4fe_b.jpg

Again, this is all pie in the sky, depending on what Warlord can do with the configs, but the most "realistic" option would be to have both options.  Short of that, if the crewman is doing his crewman duties, I'd argue that more than 50% of the time, some part of him is outside in the terminal environment.

• Like 3

Is he leaning against the door-frame?

On 7/17/2017 at 4:04 AM, stburr91 said:

When I was frequently skydiving sitting completely outside a aircraft at 150-200 kph on the step wasn't too difficult. It took a bit of extra strength to keep a grip against the wind and you can't hear anything, but it's not impossible to look around or move along the step, even with bulky equipment or suits designed to add extra drag, as an example, this guy with a flat-top and DSLR and a high drag suit to keep him inline with the tandem.

5545571769_b8896fa438_b.jpg

• Like 2

I just wanted to say that I'm back home again, so you don't need to hold the release back any longer! :)

• Like 3

Haha good to know. Custom animations have presented issues I'm currently working on

• Like 7

Chinook crew chief here.  We always lean out of the right fwd door of the bird when landing on unimproved surfaces.  We call the pilots altitude from 100ft to contact and clear the rotor system and aircraft of obstructions.

• Like 9

On 7/21/2017 at 7:52 AM, scarecrow398 said:

Is he leaning against the door-frame?

Not sure why I didn't see this before.  Yes, he's up against the aft portion of the door.  We probably weren't doing more than 80 knots (148 KPH) in that shot.

On 7/21/2017 at 7:52 AM, scarecrow398 said:

When I was frequently skydiving sitting completely outside a aircraft at 150-200 kph on the step wasn't too difficult.

This brings up a good point.  A combat loaded H-60, regardless of series, is probably not doing much more than 120 knots.  Where the main issue for airspeed comes in is reloading the weapon.  Crewman train for it, but getting the ammo can into the feed can (for GAU-16/M240) at that speed is a challenge.  For all guns, at 120 knots, pushing the weapon out isn't child's play either, but doable by dudes who work out more than I do.

But I know that's getting off-topic.  Warlord, hopefully you can slay the config demons.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 8:34 PM, stburr91 said:

I poke my head out of the aircraft at 120+ (220kph) KIAS all the time. It isn't terrible. That said, I prefer being inside with the window closed. When I crewed the HH60M, we would fly doors open all the time at 120 knots, which is basically like hanging your face out the door, and the worst thing that happens is your seatbelt whipping around in your face.

21 hours ago, gatordev said:

This brings up a good point.  A combat loaded H-60, regardless of series, is probably not doing much more than 120 knots.  Where the main issue for airspeed comes in is reloading the weapon.  Crewman train for it, but getting the ammo can into the feed can (for GAU-16/M240) at that speed is a challenge.  For all guns, at 120 knots, pushing the weapon out isn't child's play either, but doable by dudes who work out more than I do.

Loading the 400rd ammo cans at anything more than a hover is a pain right in the cunning linguals. You gotta get the slots lined up just right while you're A. holding 30 lbs worth of ammo with one hand and B. getting the crap kicked out of you by the wind. The 200 round cans are SO much easier to load. But I digress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b00ce said:

Loading the 400rd ammo cans at anything more than a hover is a pain right in the cunning linguals. You gotta get the slots lined up just right while you're A. holding 30 lbs worth of ammo with one hand and B. getting the crap kicked out of you by the wind. The 200 round cans are SO much easier to load. But I digress.

I always find it interesting when services share the same basic weapon system, but the support systems diverge.  Our GAU-21 has a 300 round magazine bolted to the deck plate.  So do you guys have a 400 round can?  or are you talking about the -240?

Our legacy GAU-16s would only have a 100-round feed can bolted on the mount, so any reloading was done, as you say, with the wind providing "leadership challenges" while trying to get the ammo can in the holder and then feeding the belt.

But now I digress.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gatordev said:

I always find it interesting when services share the same basic weapon system, but the support systems diverge.  Our GAU-21 has a 300 round magazine bolted to the deck plate.  So do you guys have a 400 round can?  or are you talking about the -240?

Our legacy GAU-16s would only have a 100-round feed can bolted on the mount, so any reloading was done, as you say, with the wind providing "leadership challenges" while trying to get the ammo can in the holder and then feeding the belt.

But now I digress.

The M240 pintle comes from the factory with a mount that the can that the ammo comes in rocks into like an AK magazine. (You can see me use it here)
The 400 round can (seen in previous picture) is some mod for the pintle and is kind of like how the porkchop for the M249 slids in, but vertical and heavy as hell and the buffeting 100 knot wind making it difficult.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, b00ce said:

The M240 pintle comes from the factory with a mount that the can that the ammo comes in rocks into like an AK magazine. (You can see me use it here)
The 400 round can (seen in previous picture) is some mod for the pintle and is kind of like how the porkchop for the M249 slids in, but vertical and heavy as hell and the buffeting 100 knot wind making it difficult.

Gotcha.  I may have missed the picture earlier.  We definitely don't have that 400 round can on ours, but not surprising given the "low-threat" environment we'd be flying in with the -240.  I'll be honest, my last several GUNEX flights have been with the GAU and students in the back, so it's been a while since I've flown with the -240, but I think we have the same basic "rock-in" 200-round ammo can setup that's in your video.

I'm going to miss this stuff when I'm forced to stop spending Uncle Sam's money.

• Like 1