warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

2 hours ago, Bitesrad said:

@warlord554

Any chance for a sneak preview of the cockpit? Also, since the blackhawks will have their vanilla counterparts modeled, I was wondering if the same goes for the Chinook?

well the current cockpit is a placeholder while I overhaul/update our new one. It's pretty much the same as the vanilla ghosthawk though, so stay tuned thats what i'm currently working on. 

I assume when you say "vanilla" your meaning standard variants like the UH60M, etc? So your asking if there will be a CH47F variant of our new MH47G correct?

- Absolutely!!!!

Will be configured the same as the standard hawks, so there will be US CH47F, and seperate "foreign" variants

also will be included is the USAF HH47 CSARX  (which is basically a USAF MH47G)

Once again if someone has a specific "Army" or nation paint scheme they want feel free to PM me and I'll include it (this goes for all aircraft packs)

For those that have texture experience I will try my best to provide a simple "re tex PSD template" so virtually any paint scheme can be created quickly, easily, and most importantly correctly!!!

and again we truely appreciate your guys patience, support, laughs, comments, and questions!! 

• Like 10

I know that the SOAR will have a custom uniform, but what about the other branches (i.e Navy, Air Force)

2 hours ago, warlord554 said:

Not sure if you are aware, but the USAF ditched that program before it even got a contract and went for the HH-60W instead, and also has the CV-22 to take part in the CSAR role. (Not saying you shouldn't make it or anything :wink_o: )

@delta3242

each branch will include its own equipment. 

@Foxone

yes I am aware, figured I'd add it anyways for fun. usaf pack will get a AFSOC CV-22 also (I've been wanting to do one) ;) it will be the last helo made though as I need to get socmod finished too

• Like 9

7 hours ago, warlord554 said:

Once again if someone has a specific "Army" or nation paint scheme they want feel free to PM me and I'll include it (this goes for all aircraft packs)

For those that have texture experience I will try my best to provide a simple "re tex PSD template" so virtually any paint scheme can be created quickly, easily, and most importantly correctly!!!

and again we truely appreciate your guys patience, support, laughs, comments, and questions!! 

Many thanks to you for your great and hard work to improve A3 and especially for your offer of personalized skins.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, warlord554 said:

well the current cockpit is a placeholder while I overhaul/update our new one. It's pretty much the same as the vanilla ghosthawk though, so stay tuned thats what i'm currently working on. 

I assume when you say "vanilla" your meaning standard variants like the UH60M, etc? So your asking if there will be a CH47F variant of our new MH47G correct?

- Absolutely!!!!

Will be configured the same as the standard hawks, so there will be US CH47F, and seperate "foreign" variants

Yeah forgot to type special blackhawks :P  I think you posted a wip image of the cockpit a while back and I was wondering if we could see it in its full glory. Great news on the CH-47F. Always nice to have a complete arsenal at our disposal. 

Happy Easter for everyone especially for modmakers who devoting own time for us :) !

21akdq1.jpg

• Like 14

Happy Easter to all!! Please take a moment to remember our brothers out there fighting actual wars protecting your countries freedom (no matter what country is yours :))

Been busy chipping away at various aspects of the birds, cockpit, seating, scripts, sounds, etc... It's coming along nicely. I've gotten small things like the new rescue hoist, DAP LASS wings, M230 and feed system finished. Cockpit isn't too far behind. 

Today's random picture goodness....

M2SVyX6.png

sfibwRI.png

A0IXhEG.png

Will have better updated pictures for you guys soon, including the first ingame images of the DAP!!! And for anyone out there that has followed SOCMOD you will see a V2 (unreleased) showcase on some of the passengers ;)

• Like 28

Oh god..I literally can't wait anymore. I'm getting to the stage of asking fora release and having to give myself a warning point for breaking forum rules :D

Also-SOCMOD V2? Awesome news!

• Like 4

Happy Easter, indeed!

The birds look better and better every time you post. Can't wait to see the DAP (and its 30mm) as well as the SOCMOD teaser!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warlord554 said:

Today's random picture goodness....

M2SVyX6.png

(Apologies for quoting image, i think its appropriate)

Looks superb Warlord :) 

Apologies if you have noticed this already, but just wanted to point out the landing gear looking under an abnormal amount of load. Even when compared to the pic of it stationary on the deck. 

Besides that, I think i still creamed myself. 

Great to hear about SOCMOD 2.0 aswell :)

Keep it up.

Haha the landing gear animations are backwards in the pics, so no worries you will have properly functioning gear

• Like 2

Good stuff, very curious to see what the new cockpit looks like. I know it's probably not final, but the windows look a bit bright at the moment (almost like they're white tinted). Will this change in the final model?

most likely the specular shine from the rvmats. The front windshields do have a blue/purple tint when the light hits them on purpose. But many rvmats/spec maps need tweaking I just haven't had time as of yet

• Like 1

Really superb work Warlord, can't wait to see the DAP and the SOCMOD V2 stuff!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, warlord554 said:

most likely the specular shine from the rvmats. The front windshields do have a blue/purple tint when the light hits them on purpose. But many rvmats/spec maps need tweaking I just haven't had time as of yet

Cool. The vanilla NATO helos have pretty nice looking glass, so hopefully you'll be able to get something similar.

How come the landing gear looks like it's under load even when the helicopter is flying?

Black-_Hawk-_Down_approved.jpg

Happy Easter for you wardlord554 and all in this forum! 

• Like 8

Since we're more or less on the topic of the DAP and the sacrifice of service members; some of you may know that CW4 Cliff "Elvis" Wolcott, who was killed in the Battle of Mogadishu, was essentially the creator of the DAP airframe. I am sure he would be proud to see its continuing legacy as a truly awesome gunship. From Michael Durant's In the Company of Heroes:

Cliff Wolcott was already an experienced Cobra pilot when he came to the 160th to fly Blackhawks. When I met him, he was senior in rank to any of us new guys and had transferred from Charlie Company into an office called SIMO, the Systems Integration and Management Office. SIMO was the Night Stalkers’ own version of ‘The Skunk Works,’ where new internal technical programs were developed for the unit. If you wanted to try a new weapon or nav system on the aircraft, the people in SIMO would write up the requirement, go after the funding, specify a contractor to do the work, oversee the project, test it, and field it to the unit. Each type of aircraft had a representative in SIMO, and if pilots and crews came up with some crazy idea, it was up to the SIMO folks to make it happen.

Cliff had the innovative idea to turn a Blackhawk into an attack helicopter. He called it the DAP, or Direct Action Penetrator, and he somehow recruited me into the project right away in 1989. We were putting rocket pods on the Blackhawk, taking the miniguns and fixing them forward so that we could fire them from the cockpit, and experimenting with a variety of different guns. Having had no formal schooling in engineering, I was fascinated by this stuff, to take various new weapons systems and incorporate them, fly them, and testfire them. We tried an M2 .50-caliber twin machine gun and a three-barreled Gatling Gun .50, using test equipment to measure the forces and loads on the airframe. We finally settled on the Apache’s M230 30mm chain gun, because the Blackhawk could carry a pair of them. In addition to all the training and real-world missions, it was a brain challenge for me, and I picked up analysis and management skills that would always come in handy.

The DAP program was Cliff’s baby, and as I watched him work, it was clear that he was the kind of guy who could sell coolers to Eskimos. He could stand up, pitch something he believed in, and make other people believe it too. He was big into guns, big into hunting, a tall lanky guy who wasn’t much into athletics but could finish a marathon. He always kind of had this shit-eating grin on his face, but he was no more of a wise guy than any of us. He had a long scar on his nose and a Soldier’s Medal for pulling a fellow pilot out of a crashed Cobra. He was married with one young son, very family-oriented and very mission-focused. I liked him a lot, right away.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, robert31178 said:

How come the landing gear looks like it's under load even when the helicopter is flying?

Gear animations are currently backwards in the model.cfg

@Gilatar

I've been talking with some aircraft weapons systems community pros about features that would really compliment the DAP as a true gunship. So stay tuned ;)

• Like 6

Minor note, according to a guy I recently talked to from the SOAR, the slick Blackhawks don't use the spent shell tubes anymore because they get in the way of the mount and cause jams.  DAPs still use them, though.

Pics look amazing, man, backwards landing gear animations or not.  XD

• Like 1