warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

The doors get removed for visibility during brown-out landings.  The -60 has horrendous visibility and removing the doors helps with picking up small drift in the LZ before it gets too bad and you have a roll-over.  As has been shown, the AF and SOAR remove their doors.  There was a MRC card for removing them in the -60H, and it was/is done regularly.  I'm honestly not sure if the -60S community removes them,but it's an easy question I can ask if there's interest.  For the active-component units, I can't say I've ever seen them removed.

I offer this not as a request, @warlord554, just clarifying the reasons behind it.

• Like 2

my original plan was to include them in the service menu so players could add/remove at will. but I'm not sure I can because they animate open/close upon pilot entry. but it'd be no problem to add variants without if it's wanted. 

my personal military career I never saw conventional aviation units remove them, only soar 

• Like 1

Some active-component units did remove the doors for the reasons given.  It really depended on the unit commander. Also when the enemy got smart enough to remove the tracers it was one of the ways you could tell they were shooting at you. 

so I figured out the rotor blades aren't deforming they actually disappear at full rpm ingame. animate perfectly in O2. anyone have ideas?

using sample heli config/model.cfg

On most helicopters, the main and tailrotors is hidden and replaced with a proxy model. The proxy model is actually a very blurred low poly model to keep the performance up. Helicopters like Yurapetrov UH60's and SmileyNIck RAF Chinook / Konyo's MH47 disable that and animate (aka bend) the rotorblades instead. Depending on the script, it's performing great (Yurapetrov) or draining a lot of fps (Konyo's & Smileynicks Chinook).

Best would be to look up their way of dooing it. Can check my old files in the evening, if you don't find anything.

PS: if you didnt, you need to define those config lines to control this behavior:

selectionHRotorStill = "mainRotorStatic";
	selectionHRotorMove = "mainRotorBlurred";
	selectionVRotorStill = "tailRotorStatic";
	selectionVRotorMove = "tailRotorBlurred";

Maybe this helps: 

• Like 3

I'm sorry if I missed it, will you guys be running the advanced flight model? Looking at some of your in game frame grabs... looking really nice! Just did some Searching and yes you are going to have AFM with extensive testing :)

• Like 1

I have seen 60's remove doors that were performing water bucket or rescue hoist missions in the national guard. not a lot of experience working around active component guys just the NG

• Like 1

I work at a helicopter company, and we mainly remove the doors on our jet rangers for visibility on hoist jobs, or if its just a nice day we take them off. A CH-47 crew chief that I work with told me that every time they went on a mission with the 160th, the soar guys would be taking anything off there air frame that they could to reduce the weight (ammo,doors,seats,ect) while conventional units where loading as much ammo and such as possible. My guess is that the doors are removed for a mix of all these factors. If youd like more info, I can ask him and get back to you guys (He was in a conventional unit, not the 160th). 

• Like 2

In my current job, I see the 160th fly with doors off and the conventional units fly with doors on.

On 3/15/2017 at 10:17 PM, gatordev said:

The doors get removed for visibility during brown-out landings.  The -60 has horrendous visibility and removing the doors helps with picking up small drift in the LZ before it gets too bad and you have a roll-over.  As has been shown, the AF and SOAR remove their doors.  There was a MRC card for removing them in the -60H, and it was/is done regularly.  I'm honestly not sure if the -60S community removes them,but it's an easy question I can ask if there's interest.  For the active-component units, I can't say I've ever seen them removed.

I offer this not as a request, @warlord554, just clarifying the reasons behind it.

Its done widely in the Regular Army, though there are some that frown upon it unless absolutely necessary because the doors provide a lot of structural rigidity to the air-frame; and if I remember right, the "Air Worthiness Release" regarding the subject mirrors that sentiment.

well players will get several variants with/without doors. Doors WILL have windows installed though. 

brand new miniguns are installed, and we are currently getting configs sorted. 

cockpit will get a tex overhaul and mfd screens working. 

• Like 9

I don't even play this game any more but you guys are getting me hyped. Keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, b00ce said:

Its done widely in the Regular Army, though there are some that frown upon it unless absolutely necessary because the doors provide a lot of structural rigidity to the air-frame; and if I remember right, the "Air Worthiness Release" regarding the subject mirrors that sentiment.

As well as structural integrity, taking the doors off induces a sh... a lot of of drag (i.e. higher fuel burn rate, slower cruise speed) which we don't have to worry about in Arma.

while my A3 is updating thought I'd share some random MH47G WIP pics.......

KWonfcw.png

ppmVxrJ.png

7eBec8K.png

• Like 27

Now that also looks awesome, and for me more interesting and anticipated than the MH60's !!

• Like 4

YESSSS, MH-47G :D :O

This latest chinook mod can either answer a question or take the inquiry as something to think about for this possible mod.

Wiki states the Chinook can carry 33–55 troops, yet the most I seem to recall being available in current Chinook mods is 24. Is this a game limitation? Would this number be of interest to groups?

Really curious.

Looks good either way!

Looking super sexy! Loving each and every tease released. Looking forward to flying that big mama!

2 hours ago, Rich_R said:

This latest chinook mod can either answer a question or take the inquiry as something to think about for this possible mod.

Wiki states the Chinook can carry 33–55 troops, yet the most I seem to recall being available in current Chinook mods is 24. Is this a game limitation? Would this number be of interest to groups?

Really curious.

Looks good either way!

I would think rendering 35 troops in the cargo view lod would put a hurt on FPS, plus im not a fan of "hiding" weapon proxies for passengers (which will draw tex/materials for gear). Will do some testing and fit as many as possible for all those Ranger groups out there without putting a hurt on performance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robert31178 said:

Rich_R, how many can fit in CUP's CH-53?

Its been a while since I played with Cup's CH-53 but I seem to remember being disappointed with under twenty guys riding in the back. I could be wrong of course.

As we're talking about other aircraft, right after posting the above message I messed around with the latest BAF mod and their Merlin can fit 32 in the back! I didn't load it up to test FPS, but the number itself is certainly impressive!

10 hours ago, warlord554 said:

I would think rendering 35 troops in the cargo view lod would put a hurt on FPS, plus im not a fan of "hiding" weapon proxies for passengers (which will draw tex/materials for gear). Will do some testing and fit as many as possible for all those Ranger groups out there without putting a hurt on performance. 

Well, I think we can do it by simply watch how we number them. If only 20 guys are needed, than we start filling up the cargo area with a seat empty between the passengers. When we filled up everything, we fill in the blanks. Whole Ranger Sections would fit (would certainly clip, but I think thats a fair tradeoff) and it would still look cool for smaller units.

The Chinook will be interesting anyway to configure... Cargo, Passenger, Medical or a mix of all of them. Maybe we will "attachto" different modules to make the stuff work. Depending on the modules we attachto, there could be spaces between the passengers or a full capacity loadout.

We will see when we start implementing it. Will be definitly fun :)

• Like 3