warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

G'day Warlord,

New bird is looking great. Looking forward to release day.

Are you going to go doorless on the front? Always thought that kinda set it off. 

21 minutes ago, robert31178 said:

Are you going to go doorless on the front? Always thought that kinda set it off. 

I don't think I can add them to the service menu because they're animated. so you'll get one variant with pilot doors and one without.

only SOAR hawks will have this feature. UH60M, usaf, and usn hawks will have pilot doors

• Like 1

7 hours ago, warlord554 said:

I don't think I can add them to the service menu because they're animated. so you'll get one variant with pilot doors and one without.

only SOAR hawks will have this feature. UH60M, usaf, and usn hawks will have pilot doors

Off topic but do you know why they take the doors out?

8 minutes ago, wiki said:

From what i heard they only do it in warm countries, well because it is very hot inside the helicopter, but maybe also for a quicker escape incase the heli goes down, but not 100% sure about the last one

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxone said:

From what i heard they only do it in warm countries, well because it is very hot inside the helicopter, but maybe also for a quicker escape incase the heli goes down, but not 100% sure about the last one

Possibly also for the weight gains

• Like 1

MUCH happier with the updated tex maps ingame. still some materials/specular tweaks need to be made but...... Shadow lod is off, and you can see the rotor deform, but they fly amazing! stay tuned

cM2vXBV.png

FdSAsN9.png

• Like 27

Looks phenomenal (apart from the stuff you mentioned obviously). That alpha release is gonna be a treat for sure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wiki said:

The doors provide almost zero ballistic protection, so they remove them in order to decrease weight and improve pilot visibility.

• Like 2

Do you have any videos so we can hear the helicopter or are they still in the works?

• Like 1

Oh boy, i can't wait now!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, delta3242 said:

Do you have any videos so we can hear the helicopter or are they still in the works?

no videos as of yet. it contains all custom tweaked sounds though ;)

• Like 4

Wow Warlord this stuff is looking amazing. Cant wait for the Alpha release. I know there has been a lot of time and effort put into these. They look fantastic and its great to hear they are flying equally as well.

Here is a USAF bird without doors, not to be that guy.......

http://reluctantpaladin.tumblr.com/post/84312775463/lahoriblefollia-sikorsky-hh-60-pave-hawk

It's true, the doors, like the rest of the helicopter, provide ZERO ballistic protection. I can see them being removed for weather or pilot visibility, and while I know helicopters need every ounce of weight savings they can get I doubt that is a primary reason for removing them on a helicopter with as much "ass" as the -60 series has on tap!!

I'm pretty excited about this mod. Arma helicopters have kinda lost their appeal to me after flying the Huey in DCS for the last few months, and I know that nothing here will ever come close to that, but I do miss the excitement of getting a new helicopter and the rush of flying it when it is actually a nice flying Arma helicopter. Keep up the great work!!!!

~S

• Like 1

Most glorious. Need....for ....my...screens!

• Like 3

@warlord554, I keep my fingers crossed for fast finish of work :) bird looks fine.

@robert31178, how can you compare DCS to Arma 3, this are two different soft. BTW, maybe try to fly MELB AH/MH-6M, it`s very close to real flight model.

JACD, I didn't compare them lol, there is no comparison. Arma provides a fun immersive helicopter experience without all of the stuff that makes real flying more tedious, and those are things that make DCS boring to a lot of people who are in it for the quick fun of hopping in a heli, pumping the throttle, and making it thrash around like a Mustang with hot sauce on it's mud whistle. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers guys  ;-)

The last pictures are beautiful BTW, can't wait to use that bird!!!

@robert31178  "...Arma helicopters have kinda lost their appeal to me after flying the Huey in DCS for the last few months, and I know that nothing here will ever come close to that..." 

Ok, for me it sounds like a comparision but now it`s clear.

Well, it`s own choice how is your attempt for flying in Arma3. Flying in Arma3 may not to be easy. If you fly for fun with standard FM without real flying procedures, actions and everythings, like in real aviation life in fact it`s easy-peasy. First I spent houdreds hours with helicopters in DCS, next was/is Arma3. I can`t say that helicopters in A3 not give me satisafaction even if I must to hold over holding during JO/Missions for 40 minutes as assault, evac, CAS. I treat it serious as far as Arma3 can allow and sometimes happened that my underarms are wet like after physical effort ;)

• Like 1

I remember. I have darn near 2000 hours in Arma 3 in two years and just about all of it is flying a helicopter. I remember learning, hovering and flying, keeping my speed up in a turn, putting a marker down to measure how far out I had to put her into a flare......the cramping hands, the sore shoulders lol, I remember it and it has been an absolute blast. I'm not shitting on the game or the mods the the devs work so hard on. I still grab every helicopter update I see and try them out!!!

• Like 2

Outstanding warlord. Nice to see them in-game even though they're not completely finalized.

@wiki @GhostOps  I deployed to Iraq as a crew chief in 2005. Keep in mind that I was in a conventional unit, not a special operations unit. My unit looked at the idea of removing the pilots doors, with the only reason being because of the heat. However, we were supplied with armor plates that mounted inside the door panels. Our command said we would not be allowed to remove the doors because of the new armor plates. We ended up removing the windows from both cargo doors, which helped a little, but it was still pretty damn hot.

@warlord554  These aircraft are looking great. I can't wait to try them out. I wish we could get some conventional UH-60Ms armed with M240s. For some reason, everyone thinks every Black Hawk in the Army is armed with miniguns, lol.

• Like 3