warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

all aircraft will support their own custom AFM's with extensive testing

• Like 8

Really stoked that there will be a plain ol' UH-60M as well :) Not everything is a spec ops mission ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aniallator said:

Really stoked that there will be a plain ol' UH-60M as well :) Not everything is a spec ops mission ;)

indeed! The UH60M will be equipped with its own sensor suite like it's RL counterpart and will incorporate the standard M CAAS cockpit. They will come in two variants, one "feet hanging" seating and one regular (no actual seats, soldiers will sit in the cabin floor like I did many years ago in air assault school). They will both support fast roping, sling loading, service menu, etc.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, CPL Wischuf said:

This was already answered in December :)

Oh WOW, i asked it back then as well..... GG myself... I searched the topic but couldn't find it ...

• Like 1

I need to update the front page anyways :p haha

but yes they will be aerial refuel compatible, as will the 47G

• Like 6

15 hours ago, warlord554 said:

I need to update the front page anyways :p haha

but yes they will be aerial refuel compatible, as will the 47G

So do you have an idea about what is the expected flight time on a full tank with these helicopters? Just wondering for scenario's sake and how refueling might be implemented for missions that I might build or dream up?

2 hours ago, reschke said:

So do you have an idea about what is the expected flight time on a full tank with these helicopters? Just wondering for scenario's sake and how refueling might be implemented for missions that I might build or dream up?

Real life fuel range is 1382km so thats hours of flight time in arma

3 hours ago, reschke said:

If I remember right, talking to my 15U crew chief/flight engineer brothers, a normal CH47F (Without the fat fuel tanks on the sides) can fly 2.5 - 3 hours, depending on altitude, speed, and internal load. I'm not a dirty hooker, so take that with an appropriately sized boulder of salt.

24 minutes ago, Scotty_Z said:

Real life fuel range is 1382km so thats hours of flight time in arma

A general rule of thumb is that any given helicopter will be able to fly for approximately 2 hours + - 30 minutes based on the things I mentioned earlier without ERFS tanks.

Yeah I have the info on the real world aspect I was looking for info from what they have configed in for these birds. If there is one thing that people either get really wrong +/- is the fuel burn rate. I get that it can be tweaked but cutting it too short makes for some ridiculous mission additions.

fuel range is something that will need to be experimented with. will try to balance realism with gameplay. you guys can provide such feedback after Alpha release

• Like 1

While it is true that most helicopters have fuel for +/- 2.5 hours, you have to remember that is total time.  So you are going to burn some of that on the ground with the aux power unit going and then getting the engines up to speed, get all of the navigation gear and sensors warmed up and aligned and then waiting for clearance to launch.  This of course can be abbreviated for scramble missions.  So you are going to burn about 15 to 25 minutes getting going on a regular mission.  Then you have transit time to the objective area and that of course will give you the amount of time you have in the objective area to execute missions.  Given average distances I would say that could be 30 minutes of transit time.  This means that you on an average mission you have about 60 minutes of station time to support the ground operations.  30 minutes back to base to refuel and shut down.  There are a multitude of other factors (altitude, temperature, winds aloft, etc.) that also impact flight time that I really think can be ignored for Arma.

So I would argue that about an hour of play time would be a good start point. 

Since these are SOF helicopters they do carry more fuel, but they also carry a lot more equipment on board and have a lot more drag to push through the air so I would imagine they might not have a whole lot more time on station than a regular force helicopter.  They do tend to fly longer distances (thus the refuel probes) also.  I will defer to someone with more knowledge of SOF air operations to fully answer the question.

• Like 5

I guess the question around fuel consumption needs to be how realistic does everyone want it to be and how long are the average missions by gaming groups?

If the average mission time is two hours then something short of that to make fuel consumption a factor. If four hours is an average mission time, then the 2.5 hours would be perfect.

Of course this balance between realism and gameplay comes down to the focus of the modmakers, but people like yasotay are a good resource as he actually flew combat helos :)

only a little bit of the old coloring left. Then get some passengers ingame...

jWAXxXH.png

7e4TiGn.png

wBp7lI1.png

*I just noticed in those pics the tail has a double render mesh lol. well you guys get the idea.......

I also have a brand new fuel tank setup (model/tex/mat) that is not shown

• Like 21