warlord554

1stBN/160th SOAR Mod ArmA III WIP

Alright guys I have a special unveil for you. For a long while now I've been working on a full, ground up model. I have just surprised the team with it, and it's partly the reason it's taken so long on the blackhawks. But it's almost done and in a state to show you guys. I'm about to start baking and tex'ing. I had originally thought of submitting it to the MANW contest on behalf of SOAS, but decided not to. So get ready to enjoy HQ helicopters gents!!

First page updated with current pics, enjoy and I hope you like them, because I have well over 100hrs into them already :)

- Completely modular model design, any Blackhawk variant can be made using the chassis

- Full Mike sensor, countermeasure suites, along with the new UES exhaust

- Everything redone from ground up, baking from high poly, for the highest possible quality

- Much more

There are many pieces already tex'd, and I haven't applied some modifiers in the pics, like mirror, etc. Also not pictured are the guns, or FLIRs

Please enjoy, and SUPRISE!! haha

What's the D-Ring on everyone's back for? Gunner's belts/tethers? Seems like that would be really annoying digging into your back when sitting.

As for the FOV for the ANVIS-6, 40 degrees.

Does anyone use these anymore? I haven't seen them in any numbers since 2002-2003. AN/AVS-9s in their various stages of upgrades have been the norm for us.

from what I gather gator is for extraction using winch for the crew member/pilot

Nice work on the new model. I have a few critiques for minor cosmetic things:

The tires are too flat and should be more rounded, they also seem too wide.

The ESSS fairing (Big wonky thing above and aft of the gunner window) isn't shaped quite right.

I also have to apologize for going off half cocked on the gear thing earlier. Apparently they do their own thing with the vests, so I can't really say what they use. I can say however that it would be incredibly unfortunate and uncomfortable if they were to fall out of their aircraft...

What's the D-Ring on everyone's back for? Gunner's belts/tethers? Seems like that would be really annoying digging into your back when sitting.

Does anyone use these anymore? I haven't seen them in any numbers since 2002-2003. AN/AVS-9s in their various stages of upgrades have been the norm for us.

The D-ring is for tethers, yes. And it does sometimes. I can't lie. The D-ring for extraction has a little nylon strap attached to it, you can see it in pictures (a D-ring half way out of a grenade pocket)

The army still uses the ANVIS-6, they aren't bad.

Edited by b00ce

Yeah man some of the "extras" on the frame are still being worked in, its coming along nicely though

According to this document the AN/AVS 6 and 9 are the same specs. Only difference is the need for a battery pack, which can't be used on an ejection seat. So the AN/AVS-9 is basicly for fast fixed wing.

About the gear:

The head of Aircrew Equipment department of Eagle Industries is Todd McDunn. Former Pilot CW4 Todd McDunn of 160th SOAR.

I know this doesnt prove anything, but the EI CIACS is available now for quite some time.

But this should prove a lot: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=998156db0ef650b1d5ef918586dbc92f

The D-ring is for tethers, yes. And it does sometimes. I can't lie. The D-ring for extraction has a little nylon strap attached to it, you can see it in pictures (a D-ring half way out of a grenade pocket)

That's what I figured. I couldn't imagine trying to hook up the rescue hook to a ring on my back under the stress of extraction, especially if I was injured, or worse, in the water.

The army still uses the ANVIS-6, they aren't bad.

But they aren't as good as the -9. Between having nothing and having the -6, absolutely I would take the -6, but the -9 is definitely better. I'm just surprised to hear that you guys are still using the -6. Good to know. If I had to guess, I'm betting the 160th has -9s since the rest of the non-Army, non-SOF world uses them.

According to this document the AN/AVS 6 and 9 are the same specs. Only difference is the need for a battery pack, which can't be used on an ejection seat. So the AN/AVS-9 is basicly for fast fixed wing.

As someone who has used both, that's pretty much completely wrong. I didn't see a date for that article (though I only did a quick scan), but I'm thinking that's a dated article. Also, the -9 has had several upgrades through the years and a -9 from 2002 and a "brand new" -9 from today have some useful differences, as well. Not that everyone has the new -9s, but the technology has been upgraded and is being slowly fielded to the fleet.

I'll make them and simply call them ANVIS. Make a variant of the helmets with a battery pack, and one without. Because in the end, it's a game, and the trivial differences between 6's and 9's really won't matter. So, at the end of the day everyone gets what they might want, killer NODs, and tacticool helmet goodies if that's what they like :). Problem solved, drink some beer boys

Because in the end, it's a game, and the trivial differences between 6's and 9's really won't matter.

No doubt, unless you monkey'ed with the VFX of the "NVG effect" in-game. I'm not saying it's worth your time (especially when the engine doesn't really model NVGs correctly), but there could be a visual difference.

I'll make them and simply call them ANVIS. Make a variant of the helmets with a battery pack, and one without.

The easiest solution. That said, since I know you're striving for authenticity... Why would you have a variant used by helo pilots that wouldn't have a battery pack? How are the NODs going to be powered? I ask because if you go back to ~1994 (probably 1992-93 when it was made) and watch "Clear and Present Danger," you can see that the 160th had AN/AVS-6 or -9 models as far back as then, which includes the battery pack on the back of the helmet. I'm just trying to point out that I wouldn't put much stock in the posted article about various configurations and their numbers. At the end of the day, a modern helo dude from 2001 to present, 160th or otherwise, is going to be sporting the same basic design, regardless of -6 or -9 models. And that's a helmet mount, the goggles, and a battery box.

But really, if you give us some sweet -60 love, I'm sure we can forgive any NOD inaccuracies!

ah man I loved that movie. Like I said before i'll do both with and without battery pack. What I don't think i'll do is attach the actual battery pack to the NVG model like the GPNVG18 mod. Just include the helmets with, and without the battery pack.

What I don't think i'll do is attach the actual battery pack to the NVG model like the GPNVG18 mod. Just include the helmets with, and without the battery pack.

This is probably the most realistic route to take, I always have my battery pack on my helmet, but not everyone does.

There is a battery pack that you can mount to the NVGs, but its exclusively for when you're in a SEAR situation and ditched your helmet. They're used more like binoculars then.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/OjgAAOxyVaBS4CwY/$_59.JPG

http://www.ifshtf.com/pic/nvg/ANVIS6/anvis-1.jpg

Hmmmm very intetesting. You guys want SERE ANVIS binocular? Think itd be cool, battery is a easy job, just config it as bino. Dunno if anyone would use it, but i like "out of the box" ideas ha

Hmmmm very intetesting. You guys want SERE ANVIS binocular? Think itd be cool, battery is a easy job, just config it as bino. Dunno if anyone would use it, but i like "out of the box" ideas ha

Well, within the confines of ArmA there's no point in ditching your helmet because it doesn't act as ear plugs/muffs and reduce your field of view in game.

Guys, I don't know if was written before, but what u thinsk about a feature like the "F-18 service menu" that will allow you to cheange the skin of the Mh60? I mean: non entire skin (or maybe yes if you release the template), but a simply "layer" that give the name of the chopper, like the MH60L Blackhawk from Black Hawk Down Movie SS-1 "Armageddon"?

Here u have an example, with the CWO Wolcott:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x8yt68qv884/TonDf4Q1diI/AAAAAAAAAGE/84PMe2_h6dc/s1600/Wolcott.jpg

U think that sometingh similar will be possible? Or maybe also add the external tank pilon in the chopper. Or just change numer tail or similar.

What u think about WarLord and the other guys that work on this project?

Bye guys :)

Well I will assume you haven't been with us since the start of the project. No worries.

Yes the service menu will be fully supported for all aircraft. The exact extent we haven't yet decided (such as being able to change door guns from M134D, to .50cal or m240 for example). But currently under the service menu you will have some of these options (keep in mind full features are still WIP and may change)

Base Core Airframe Models

-MH60L Standard (Doors animated and can close, custom INTERNAL cargo seating)

-MH60L [FRC] (Custom "feet hanging" cargo door seating, doors perm open, Fast Rope Capable)

-MH60L [CRRC] (CRRC deployable Variant)

-MH60L [DAP] (Will be STRICTLY gunship. No cargo seating, cargo area has ammo crates/belts depending on which weapons systems are deployed. They WILL have M134D door guns/crew. Will be equipped with the ESSS Wings/Weapon Pylons)

-MH60M Standard (Doors animated and can close, custom INTERNAL cargo seating)

-MH60M [FRC] (Custom "feet hanging" cargo door seating, doors perm open, Fast Rope Capable)

-MH60M [CRRC] (CRRC deployable Variant)

-MH60M [DAP] (Will be STRICTLY gunship. No cargo seating, cargo area has ammo crates/belts depending on which weapons systems are deployed. They WILL have M134D door guns/crew. Will be equipped with the LASS Wings/Weapon Pylons)

*All non-DAP -60's will have full fastrope support, FFV, and limited, realistic slingload capability*

MH6M [FRC] (Fast Rope Capable Littlebird)

AH6M Gunship (Weapons pylons)

MH6M SCOUT (A bonus prize for you guys. A scout version with cargo doors, Kiowa "Style" Flir scout camera atop rotor hub, recon, laser, etc. Only Pilot/Co Pilot cargo)

MH47G [sOC] (Fully Mission Ready, "Heavy" SOCOM MH47G. M134D main door guns, M240 Rear Window Guns, Rear Ramp .50cal M2B Gun)

MH47G [sOC] II (Same as above, except SOCOM MK47 MOD 0 40mm Auto Grenade Launcher replaces rear ramp .50cal)

MH47G (Standard variant without ramp guns)

MH47G [CRRC] (CRRC deployable Variant)

*All MH47G's will have full fast rope support, rear ramp "cool" cargo FFV positions, and slingload capability*

*MH47G's will also have realistic water fording depths to allow CRRC extraction*

Players service menu options *(As of right now, still WIP)*

- Equip/Unequip MH60 and MH6 pilot doors (All -60/6 models, including L, M, and DAPs/Gunships.)

- Equip/Unequip MH60 Fuel Probe (All -60 models, including L, M, and both DAPs.)

- Equip/Unequip MH6M Flare Countermeasure Devices (Possibly, need to discuss with JS/Saul)

- Equip/Unequip MH60 Door Guns (Possibly, need to discuss with JS/Saul. Will also allow Gunner Windows to be animated open/close)

- Full DAP/-6 Gunship Weapon Systems (Interchangable), including:

* M230 Chain Gun (-60 DAPs only)

* GAU-19

* M260/M261 Rocket Pods

* DAGR/HYDRA Rockets

* M134 GAU 2/A Aircraft Mounted Minigun (Possibly, may do the gun pod version)

* Several AGM144 HELLFIRE Variants, with different attack modes

* AIM9 AA Missiles

* AGM65 MAVERICK AT Missile

* Anti Ship Missile (TBA)

* Next Gen Systems (TBA)

* External Fuel Tanks (-60 DAPs only)

- Interchangable Skins (Including, but not limited to):

* SOAR Black (US Army Stencils/Tail Numbers)

* SOAR Black (Sterile, no markings)

* US Army OD Green (US Army Stencils/Tail Numbers)

* US Army OD Green (Sterile, no markings)

* Dusty versions of all, which will also make cockpit dusty

* Several bonus skins, including all BHD inspired, several custom graphics, desert camo variant, etc

Various animations, including pilot doors, cargo doors, gunner windows (possibly), fuel probe, suspension, rotors, cockpit components, and whatever else isn't tied down

* Possibly animate the m130 Chaff/Flare dispensers to allow arc adjustment. Will test development on a fully automated countermeasure suite, that will automatically adjust flare arc/direction based on incoming threat direction. Will also have full manual flare deployment with several fire modes*

SOAR Aircraft are some of the most technologically efficient in the world. Mission survivability is vital to us. We have discussed and will development/test every possible countermeasure option the engine will allow, including electronic jammers, lower IR/stealthy signatures, and much more

Fully interactive cockpit on ALL aircraft. Still in development phase, more on features will be released later

Custom animations for

* Get In/Out pilots and cargo

* Door gunners, with ability to stand "mounted on gun", or "safe" and sitting in seat

* Cargo troops seating, including "feet hanging"

FLIR capabilities on all equipped aircraft. Including Day camera, NV, thermal, Laser designator. Full targeting systems for DAPs/-6 Gunship

Will attempt to simulate "Terrain Following Radar" for pilots, adding complete darkness low level capabilities in all terrains

Completely NV compatible cockpits, and will include custom lighting and glow gauges

Cabin Lighting, Landing Lights, Collision Lights, IR Collision Lights

Completely new, custom flight models for ALL aircraft, which will be tested extensively

Standard/Advanced flight model compatible

Each helo will have two versions, one with PhysX enabled, and one without. This makes everyone happy, and gives mission makers all deployment options, for example ship landings and storage

SOAR helos will have fully animated, folding rear stabilator/rotors for transport anywhere in the armaverse, via proper transport planes. Will also give mission makers cool backdrops in their scenes

Will include a HQ "Static wreck" version of -60s and -47s, for all those BHD/OP Anaconda missions ;), will also include a couple working guns on these simulating reserve power. This will allow crew/troops to defend the bird for a short time, and adds tacticool factor. Also will have submerged wreck variants of all aircraft

Complete custom sound suite for all aspects (engine, rotors, all weapons, interior, etc)

Many more misc features including:

- IR Lasers/Eotech 553 Sights on door guns

- Fully working, visible turbine engines

- Fully animated rotor bend

- Fastrope compatibility

- Slingloading compatibility

- Rope ladder compatibility

- much, much more!!!

Full SOAR Pilot/Crew Gear

- HGU56/P (Pilot Helmet, no mask)

- HGU56/P [NVG] (Pilot Helmet, no mask, NVG battery)

- HGU56/P [M] (Pilot Helmet, mask)

- HGU56/P [M/NVG] (Pilot Helmet, mask, NVG battery)

*Will include many variations, with different colors/camos/patches/stencils/etc*

- HGU56/P Oxygen Mask (Glasses Slot possibly). No function yet, just for looks and all those high altitude pilots ;)

- SOAR ANVIS NODs

- Full SOAR Flight Suits

*Will include many variations, with different colors/camos/patches, etc*

Crew Aviation Vest Loadout (TBA)

Crew/Pilots will use my MK18 Block II SOPMODs (Featured in future SOCMOD update)

I'm sure I'm missing something, but stay tuned :)

Special Operations Aviation Studio

US Army 160th SOAR MOD

"Death Awaits In The Dark"

Edited by WarLord554

Concerning the MH-47G, will there also be fastrope from the central hatch?

Also, if it slingloads a RHIB, will we be able to deploy in the RHIB from the chopper (fastrope in the boat during slingload) like in Act of Valor?

Last thing, I don't get what you mean with CRRC variant for both Chinooks and Blackhawks.

Will we be able, with the Chinook, to hover on the water for the CRRC to hop in?

And what about the Blackhawk CRRC?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

(BTW, in percent, how far are you?)

I cannot wait!:D

Also, will the different skins, loadouts, and versions of the helos be available w/o the service menu, like a script in the initialization field? For example, like Firewill's F16 with the different loadouts

Holy shit I just read all of that, amazing.

This will by far be the best helicopter mod in ArmA 3. :thumb:

@Wiki

More development regarding features like that will be implemented eventually(and have the testing platform almost done http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/boostedhardtsi34/SOAS%20SOAR/SOCR_Boatblend_zpsd649d74c.png) ;)

Regarding Blackhawk CRRC, check these out

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/boostedhardtsi34/SOAS%20SOAR/SH-60F_Kduck1_zps55d17472.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz99/boostedhardtsi34/SOAS%20SOAR/SOCR_Boatblend_zpsd649d74c.png

@themightykovacs

Something like that would absolutely be awesome. Playability for ALL players from novice to those veteran flight sim guys is in mind. Everyone should be able to enjoy (and quickly deploy) these aircraft and features/systems. So we will see

@All

Just a reminder to any newcomers to the thread that the first page post is updated with current BH/LB pics, and mod info. MH47G development news/pics/info will come later

Glad to see you are bridging content between SOC and 160th stuff, I really like the sharing aspect of this community and its sad that it has become so hostile due to all the stealing :)

yeah that's quite a feature list - awesome stuff. good luck with adding weapons to the turrets. is this available in A3 yet? our ones in A2 we can't swap the door guns unfortunately.

ah man I loved that movie. Like I said before i'll do both with and without battery pack. What I don't think i'll do is attach the actual battery pack to the NVG model like the GPNVG18 mod. Just include the helmets with, and without the battery pack.

I may have misunderstood earlier. That definitely seems like the best option, and as b00ce mentioned, it's not uncommon for crewman to not even have their goggles on their helmet, but just wearing the "integral" battery pack.

yeah that's quite a feature list - awesome stuff. good luck with adding weapons to the turrets. is this available in A3 yet? our ones in A2 we can't swap the door guns unfortunately.

I dont think it will work in a3 either. We will surely try though