Sign in to follow this  
koffeinflummi

Authentic Gameplay Modification

Authentic Gameplay Modification

The team that brought you the BWMod is now working on a modular, open-source realism/authenticism mod for Arma 3. This project originally started as a fork of TMR, but since evolved into something bigger, with only a few parts still taken from Taosensai's work.

GitHub Repo: https://github.com/KoffeinFlummi/AGM

At the moment these features are already implemented:

• a custom interaction menu
  • improved medical system including bloodloss, unconsciousness, pain and patient transport
  • backblast simulation
  • wind deflection for projectiles
  • weapon resting
  • a fire control system for tanks and APCs
  • realistic names for weapons and vehicles (wherever possible)
  • animation tweaks and the addition of jumping
  • improved map tools (bigger coordinates and compass)
  • interaction with civilians
  • adjustable NVG contrast

... and much more.

A full list of features and the plans for more can be found here:

https://github.com/KoffeinFlummi/AGM/wiki

The mod is completely open-source, and everyone is free to fork the repo and create a pull request. Bugs can be reported and new features requested using GitHub's issue tracker.

This also means that you can already download the code and binarize it yourself if you want to. Needless to say, at the moment everything is heavily WIP and nothing is guaranteed to work. If you know what you are doing, testing this and reporting things that can be improved is obviously appreciated.

We are aiming at the end of the month for a first release, probably coupled to the next version of the BWMod.

Edited by KoffeinFlummi

I am quite fascinated by this. Awesome features, man.

So does this mean that you'll be expanding the civilians' roles in Arma? I'm always looking for ways to expand civilian presence and whatnot.

so this is basically ACE3 but not ACE3?

I love it already! sounds great!

I am quite fascinated by this. Awesome features, man.

So does this mean that you'll be expanding the civilians' roles in Arma? I'm always looking for ways to expand civilian presence and whatnot.

At the moment you can just send them away or tell them to get down, but we are planning to expand that functionality in the future.

Oh man, this sounds exciting! It seems like it could be adding a lot of features from ACE for ArmA II and a number of other ideas yet implemented in ArmA III.

Consider me very excited.

Very well done so far with what you've demo'd for the mod, my only feedback would be that the current choice of visible 'pain' does not really feedback to 'pain'. Might be some old ACE habits, but the pulsating blur effect seems more stamina related. A possible thing I'd suggest would be to try adding a hint of colour desaturation or a slight darkening of the view if possible, without needing to go into the whole bloody screen affair.

Very well done so far with what you've demo'd for the mod, my only feedback would be that the current choice of visible 'pain' does not really feedback to 'pain'. Might be some old ACE habits, but the pulsating blur effect seems more stamina related. A possible thing I'd suggest would be to try adding a hint of colour desaturation or a slight darkening of the view if possible, without needing to go into the whole bloody screen affair.

There's actually a blood effect as well, indicating how heavily you're bleeding at the moment. But all the visuals of the medical system are going to be overhauled at some point in the future.

Very interesting project!!!

I give you a suggestion for realistic purpose:remove magic radar from vehicles that haven't it in real life(like in ace for A2) so no radar on tanks,vehicles,transport helos and so on

Neat. I'm glad so many different mods are using little bits of TMR. And now there's this huge project, too!

Could it be considered to add parajump possibilities added to planes and helos like ACE used to?

Thanks

Edited by Major_Shepard

Looks great so far. This is exacly what we need. :)

This might be a little too much to ask for, but is it possible to implement a the control scheme from the older tank sims like Steel Beasts and M1 Tank Platoon 2?

If you add backblast to the NLAW, please make it lesser than the other launchers. It's supposed to be a minimal backblast launcher like the AT4 CS.

If you add backblast to the NLAW, please make it lesser than the other launchers. It's supposed to be a minimal backblast launcher like the AT4 CS.

And this is exactly what we did.

I am in love - Absolutely stunning work, I can't wait to see it all being developed further

This seems just the right collection of stuff Arma3 needs!

I would also like to see the additional desaturation once wounded.

A possible thing I'd suggest would be to try adding a hint of colour desaturation or a slight darkening of the view if possible, without needing to go into the whole bloody screen affair.

No... No, nononono... no, no... :D No desaturation please! I can't stand to run around in a game with such beatiful colors having a desaturated view. Not even for a second. ;) The same goes for darkening effects. I think the idea of something like a tunnel vision (blurry around the edges) is actually quite good.

One problem of ACE was, at least in my mind, the accessibility of the ACE functions in game. Having a specific key combination for checking wind direction, a specific key combination for checking your mags, a specific key combination for checking your current mag, a specific key combination for adjusting the elevation and so on is not a good idea, if there's even the slightest chance for a better workaround. I'm thinking about a GUI like the communication UI in Battlefield 2 here. You press an interaction button and get a circular action menu that offers a great deal of functions without needing to specify specific key binds, and without taking too much time to select the action of choice. That would at least be one idea for a workaround to make the mod functions more accessible and intuitive. Accessibility and intuitivity should be paramount and always kept in mind, when you're creating a mod that adds functionality to the game to such an extend, if you'd like to take my suggestion.

Edited by Pergor

No... No, nononono... no, no... :D No desaturation please! I can't stand to run around in a game with such beatiful colors having a desaturated view. Not even for a second. ;) The same goes for darkening effects. I think the idea of something like a tunnel vision (blurry around the edges) is actually quite good.

One problem of ACE was, at least in my mind, the accessibility of the ACE functions in game. Having a specific key combination for checking wind direction, a specific key combination for checking your mags, a specific key combination for checking your current mag, a specific key combination for adjusting the elevation and so on is not a good idea, if there's even the slightest chance for a better workaround. I'm thinking about a GUI like the communication UI in Battlefield 2 here. You press an interaction button and get a circular action menu that offers a great deal of functions without needing to specify specific key binds, and without taking too much time to select the action of choice. That would at least be one idea for a workaround to make the mod functions more accessible and intuitive. Accessibility and intuitivity should be paramount and always kept in mind, when you're creating a mod that adds functionality to the game to such an extend, if you'd like to take my suggestion.

You mean like this?

imcnl4Es.jpg

exactly. Although this only covers the mouse wheel-action menu, as far as it seems. I was thinking about even more functions. A bit like the ACE interaction and self interaction menus, just for all the stuff that doesn't necessarily need to be accessed via specific key binds.

Well, its seperatet into "interaction menu" and "self interaction menu". If you mean this. ^^

Well, its seperatet into "interaction menu" and "self interaction menu". If you mean this. ^^

Somehow. But not limited to the stuff one would expect from an interaction-/self-interaction-menu in Arma (like the ones from ACE). A whole bunch of game functions is and was assigned to key binds, although they could be perfectly well fitted into a smartly designed circular menu. Things like mag-check, ammunition-count, weapon-resting, windage check, elevation control, nvg-configuration and so on absolutely don't need to have a special key bind - it may be more 'immersive' to never have any HUD elements in the game whatsoever, but recalling 98674 different keybinds just to perform simple actions is a bigger drawback than BI thinks it is. ;)

Just try to streamline as far as possible to make it accessible. That's all I'm saying. ;)

Edited by Pergor

This is looking extraordinary.

Reading all the features, I have to say it does resemble quite a bit like ACE, something that I honestly don't think will be out anytime soon for ArmA 3.

I can't wait for this to be completed.

Keep up the good work!

Personally, for things like weapon handling, equipment management, etc I like keyboard commands. On a real weapon, you would do something completely different to clear a jam than to check your mag or set the safety. And I find that having a concrete key press I can press to always get the same result is better than a radial menu. With time, I became completely comfortable using all of the various commands.

I wouldn't be opposed to a radial menu, but I'd also like to have keyboard shortcuts for certain things.