Sign in to follow this  
drakedaeron

Marksmens and Helicopters is free ?

Hello, i have a question :

"Bohemia Interactive stipulates that DLC game features will be free to everyone, while DLC content will be paid...""

I don't understand this sentence, they say that the DLC will be free? Or that the functions will be free but not units in more?

If it is necessary to pay to have units, I find that really limit... If it's free, I find that brilliant.

Thank you!

Prolly same like Arma 2 DLC's, they will release most of the content but in low quality (textures, sounds etc).

Here's what I think:

Basically, features will be free but stuff will be paid. Remember how OA added thermals and other new elements like that? Well, thermal would be a feature updated for everyone while the new cars and tanks (content) would be paid for.

I think with DLC game features they mean like Zeus and with DLC content they mean like British Armed Forces from ArmA 2

Edited by Stekelenburg

Features like firing from vehicles will be free, while DLC content like new vehicles will be paid.

Best example would be something like what happened with the Arma 2 DLC's.

• Patch that got released alongside the BAF DLC added the "improved engineers" which could repair vehicles and whatnot. You could still repair vehicles with the engineers, even if you did not buy BAF itself.
  • Patch that got released alongside the PMC DLC added the "improved shotguns" which simulated shotgun buck ammo better. The improved simulation of the buck ammo was there for everyone, but the content from the PMC in it's full glory was only available if you paid for the DLC.

With Arma 3 something like this might happen:

• When the game is patched at the time Helicopters DLC gets released, everyone will get the TKOH flight model and it will be available on the base game choppers for free, but you will not get a few new helicopters or missions that they add with the helos DLC for free.
  • When the game is patched at the time Marksman DLC gets released, everyone will get the "improved marksman simulation" (whatever it means) on the existing rifles for free, but if they add 50 new marksman rifles in the game, you'll only be able to get them if you buy the DLC.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Here's what I think:

Basically, features will be free but stuff will be paid. Remember how OA added thermals and other new elements like that? Well, thermal would be a feature updated for everyone while the new cars and tanks (content) would be paid for.

I think this is the right way to go if that's how they'll do it.

If say, they add some new MBT tank I'd expect it to have impressive physx, believable sounds, seriously refined hitpoint damage and all that glory but expecting this to be done to the highest standard and as a free DLC? Not going to happen and therefore this paid content will hopefully be all that free DLC can't be

But they also write about multiplayer compatibility. So either players without the DLCs won't be able to enter the DLC vehicles / use the DLC weapons (which I doubt will happen), or that stuff gets added, but with super low quality textures like it was done with the ArmA2 DLCs. In this case, the DLCs ultimately would be a texture & missions pack (which I'd be fine with too).

"Before taking a look at the specifics, it's worth noting that new engine features created to support our DLCs are not 'locked' to those products. Rather, these improvements contribute to Arma 3 as a whole; they're available automatically to everyone who owns the game. In short, features are free, content is paid, and our objective is to prevent any split in the MP player-base. Again, for the purposes of clarity and brevity, further details on our DLC strategy will be offered in the next few weeks."

So basicly this means that is a mechanic is introduced that alters the way something behaves...lets say a system that makes aircraft behave in a different way, this is free because it is an engine upgrade.

After that a DLC pack is announced which contains new helicopters, this would be paid DLC.

Doesn't matter for me anyways! :)

I would expect it to be free if all they brought was overhauls and a few new weapons though

We will see what goodies BIS come up with, but I am excited about the helicopters, not about the marksmen DLC.

"Again, for the purposes of clarity and brevity, further details on our DLC strategy will be offered in the next few weeks."

Basically we wait a few weeks and they tell us the Deal.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

We will see what goodies BIS come up with, but I am excited about the helicopters, not about the marksmen DLC.

Really? Not love for the new fire arms. Well i am, because i threw a topic out there stating how important medium - long range rifles were (.308 - 338) to bridging the gap between Heavy and Light infantry tactics. I really hope i see some Lapua Magnum rounds, because that is what's missing for me in terms of fire arms. :cool:

More weapons, yawn ! More vehicles or maps great!

The exsisting content is great. Personally i wouldn't yawn to the addition of things regardless. Only a few more toys and mechanics to play with. :rolleyes:

People without the DLCs will probably get "reduced quality" content, just like when BAF and PMC were released. The only one that didn't do that was the CZ DLC, I believe.

People without the DLCs will probably get "reduced quality" content, just like when BAF and PMC were released. The only one that didn't do that was the CZ DLC, I believe.

ACR also had a lite version. This policy aims for multiplayer compatibility, I dont think they will change this in Arma 3.

I think that in the Marksman DLC they will improve the dynamics of shooting, probably the wind will affect, and maybe the role of the observer will be increased.

I guess that such dynamics are gonna be added for free for all, and the content ( probably a collection of weapons ) will be added in high quality for those who pay and low quality for the rest.

Yeah I bought that cz dlc as part of a bundle. How often did I use it? NEVER. At least the british forces I could play with friends that didn't have it. Never want another dlc that I can only use in editor. Or very few select severs. It separates the community and is nothing but a bad 5.thing.

I'd like to see a vanilla 2 seater fighter jet for precision bombing from ceiling height. Would be fun having a teammate bombing as you fly. A lot of people thought we might be getting this already but alas no. Can see this being a very popular addition.

Black special forces uniforms for night ops. And general douchbagery.

The exsisting content is great. Personally i wouldn't yawn to the addition of things regardless. Only a few more toys and mechanics to play with. :rolleyes:

(Slightly off topic)

The existing content is all but great: it's nice but it's nothing compared to content in arma2 vanilla...

Ah all right thank you.

I find that it's a pity, they would have been able to give free of charge the new vehicles.

To sum it up (Confirmed features):

•Free-

-TKOH flight model for vanilla choppers

-Shooting from vehicles

-Bipods & weapon resting

-Sling loading

•Paid-

-New transport helicopters :D

-New weapons :D

-New map

-New "Expansion", probable campaign, vehicles, weapons, & faction

yeah but i am certain that the dlc content will be dealt like A2 content was: lower quality textures and/or meshes for everyone

I wonder what features they have in mind for the expansion. Most of the top tickets on FT right now are covered in a way by Marksman/Helo DLC.

3D editor is something they actually mentioned.

"Civilian life and diversity" improvements sounds like more textures for the fedoras! :p

Probably the biggest thing here could be some focus to introduce female specific things like skeletons, anims, models, whatnot.

Maybe something akin to the civ modules?

With the animation system overhaul that's been going on in the background, could climbing and mobile weapon switches also come into play?

It's really fun to think about. BI has a good track record with the expansion quality (I'm not counting Queens Gambit an expansion or a BI product before anyones feelings get hurt).