Wiki

[Campaign] Operation Aegean Spear

I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

Mission 16 is available for download!

Screen:

443433image564.jpg

Looking for people to help me create cinematics + promo video.

Thanks

Mission 17 is now available.

Screen:

713041image953.jpg

And still looking for people to help me create cinematics + promo video.

Thanks

I've now managed to play the second part that you made available to download, i.e. up to mission 13. Worked pretty well, nice squad management tutorial in mission 13.

I do have something negative to say about mission 12, the Comanche attack on the airbase. Most of it may not be your fault, but maybe you can do something about it nevertheless. I really think that the helicopter movement is total and utter crap: It flies directly over the enemy, shows his weak side or back to it and points its weapons away from the targets. I know that is the default behaviour of Arma choppers, but that doesn't make it better. It is both tactically suicidal and makes playing an ordeal. I'd be totally happy if you could manage to make it fly properly: Let it stay a bit away from the action instead of flying right over it, and keep the nose always pointed towards the enemy, so that the gunner can use all the weapons at any time. Maybe you can make a scripted flypath that circles around the base very slowly with a sideways movement. That would maybe also fix the insane bobbing and wiggling that makes is extremely easy to waste a lot of ammo without hitting anything (having unlimited ammo help to win the mission, but doesn't make it less unnerving), it is not even possible to spot anything properly. An M60-gunner from a Huey in Vietnam had a more stable platform than this shit, and today's autocannons are stablized by a computer, you can zoom in several kilometers and it won't wiggle a bit. Again, it is not your fault but a general game issue, but maybe this mission is less of a nuisance if the chopper moves properly. I don't know if a scripted flypath can really fix it, but I suggest you should at least think about it.

And also you could think about a way to better distinguish between friend and foe, or in general to spot units. You made the friendlies immortal, but you know for yourself that this is just a foul workaround. My idea: The "TPW mods" addon has a goggle function that shows units, it just needs tactical glasses ("G_Tactical_Clear") on the player. Some people may see this as making infantry life too easy, which may be true, but in the cockpit of a highly sophisticated attack chopper, something like that should be realistically possible (actually it is, even today already) and is also quite a help. I'm not sure if there is a way to isolate this function from the addon and put it as a script into just this mission, maybe you could talk to TPW about that.

The earlier mission where the player was the door gunner of a Ghosthawk over the same base had basically the same issue of a wiggling chopper and a flypath that too often made it impossible to direct the gun towards any target, due to its restricted angle. Forcing the chopper into a better flypath would greatly help here, too.

Hi Brainbug, thanks for feedback.

Unfortunately, I can't see any solution for the flight path in this game.

Moreover, I can't use any third party addon as this campaign stands for MANW contest.

I also think that you shouldn't need unimited ammo if the game could handle proper damage system: for now, the canon of the Blackfoot and explosives ammunitions don't kill an infantry, you need to shoot a lot of bullets at it - that's why the damage system sucks.

I know these missions (7 and 12) are not perfect due to bad AI flgiht behaviour, but I have no solution to change it so far, sorry.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

New link for campaign 0.3

http://gtp8igpu8m.1fichier.com/

Mission 18 is WIP - I still dunno whether I have time to finish it before going on vacation or not.

Overview picture of the mission:

728271image434.jpg

Thanks. I fear I won't have enough time to finish it before deadline

that would be really unlucky, as I feel you are heading for some serious pile of cash ;)

Well, I hope so but I doubt it.... :-(

Anyway, 18 missions out of 30/40, I must hurry!

Deleted

Edited by Wiki

Deleted

Edited by Wiki

Mission 20 is on a good way for the moment.

It's named 'TIC' and here the overview picture:

150352image783.jpg

ok, here goes my review up to mission 6. on a general note I'd say this is a good campaign, although the missions are way too short... Here's some issues I encountered including my suggestions.

Mission 1:

Two errors come up at the briefing. One of them was "No Player Selected", I don't remember the other one.

The briefing entries are reversed (execution > Mission > Situation). Also the tasks are reversed.

Pickup hunter is having problems reaching to me. I suggest to tweak the wp.

Mission 2:

Typo - "Dismiss" instead of "Dismissed".

Mission 3:

All soldiers are sitting on the left side of the truck which seems odd.

Mission 4:

"No Player Selected", the briefing entries are reversed (execution > Mission > Situation). Also the tasks are reversed.

This mission could use a CSAT checkpoint on the way to Maxwell, it was too uneventful getting there.

I suggest to reduce some of the enemies at the base, it takes too much circles to finish all of them off. I suggest to adapt the enemy number to two or three mini-gun circles.

Mission 5:

"No Player Selected". Guy leaning on the building + Guy leaning on the truck are both careless to me and to the battle around them.

Objective "Secure Station" didn't tick.

A pilot should not wear his helmet when going on an infantry mission...

Mission 6:

The mission didn't complete. I'm pretty sure the base was clear.

Thanks Wiki! Looking forward to the rest of the campaign!

Thanks for feedback.

Hell, that's a lot of things needing improvement :-(

Ok, I'll work on ut ASAP

BTW, was it from steam worshop on the campaign file on armaholic?

Mission 20 is released:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=305531969

enjoy people!

Or campaign file here:

http://muz0b19ofr.1fichier.com/

Missions 1 to 20

@Variable.

Thanks for feedback.

However, there are some issues I couldn't repro like the "no player selected" and the order of the briefing.

Need to be checked in the armaholic file, missions have been better updated there.

Edited by Wiki

Pretty sure this is mission 4, where you take the village and the tanks then show up. Command says "Fall back and retreat". That's the same thing...Maybe "Fall back and regroup". And then there's the usual "Dismiss" instead of "Dismissed" and so on and so forth...

Ok thanks.

I thought it was "dismiss private" and not "dismissed private"

mission #18: The bearing given by the spotter is not correct, it should be like 082 instead of 085. But more important, this is a quite short mission and not very challenging. Gameplay might improve if you put in some pursuing enemies that you can barely escape from after the shots (e.g. with the quads). And a longer shooting distance (a kilometer or so) would make it more challenging also.

mission #19:

- error: Picture rcvlag_nl.jpg not found.

- at the start, it is unclear that you need to open the door to the left front of you. There are many doors, and usually the player is used to being pointed into the direction he needs to move to, in this case that would be the door that leads outside, which is wrong here (the dialogue still triggers, but the player would miss the scene and the elaborately chosen hand animations, thumbs up for those!). I suggest to put in a chemlight or similar that hints the player where to go (maybe too bright daytime already? but having this in the early morning before dusk would still make sense, too), and turn the player a bit to the left at the end of the intro walk sequence, and open the door already.

- this also needs a small tweak that may make the mission much more fun. I got shot down several times by AA missiles and eventually came to the conclusion that it would be totally pointless to fly into the AA threat, so I didn't try to help the own guys there anymore but landed cowardly behind a hill and waited until the fighting was completely over. Which is totally boring and also illogical from a story point of view, because if the own unit can easily fend off the attack by themselves (immortality seems to help a small bit *lol*), then why would they need a quick and daring extraction under fire? So I'd suggest to delete the AA soldiers, then the player can still take a lot of small arms fire and grenades, but has a chance to make it despite that. Instead you could put in an AA vehicle that can be taken out by the plane, and you could give a message "AA vehicles taken out, you can move in now" or similar.

- and I would give the enemy soldiers all tracer ammo, to let it look more dangerous. Works especially well if you put this at early morning hours before dusk like I suggested above already.

mission #20:

- no briefing text

- the enemy groups should be better hidden, further away, behind the hill. Because they are already visible, one can spot the vehicles faintly in the distance and the group on the right is clearly visible against the sky.

- vehicles in the convoy should be in a herringbone formation except for the first one (assuming that the first vehicles hit a mine/IED and the rest was disabled in the ensuing firefight). Refer to page 67 in the PDF: www.unitedpmc.com/img/Tactical Convoy Handbook.pdf

- would be more interesting if you put in a hunter with 40mm and one with .50, unlock them and give them both only a very small amount of ammo, e.g. 2 or 3 nades and 5-10 shots left on the mg (at most, maybe even less). that is even more of a "oh shit" feeling for the player if you think you have a good weapon and then realize that it is basically empty...

Ok thanks.

I thought it was "dismiss private" and not "dismissed private"

it's shortened from "you are now dismissed by me, Private" (and don't forget the comma in front of the address/name, as one would say "your mission is good, Wiki" and not "...is good Wiki") Edited by Brainbug