Wiki

[Campaign] Operation Aegean Spear

Wiki if you have problems with overview pictures etc I suggest you to unpbo Bardosy's Persian Tale campaign.

In his campaign everything is working. In A3 you put overview info etc in description.ext of mission, few new commands.

Check also bi wiki - description.ext all new info about changes you will find there.

Hello in the third mission I dont have green smoke, it's a mistake?

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

well, fixed!

Just played the first three missions so far:

#1: error messages "no player selected" and "cannot load jpg"

#2: error messages "cannot load jpg"

#3: There is no single GREEN smoke in the whole mission, at least I didn't find any even after extensive search (me and the own guys only have white smoke, the medic has 7 smokes, but also white ones, and the opponent only has red and maybe orange, yellow and white on the team leaders, but no green), so I can't get the chopper to land, i.e. that's a showstopper bug. Had to "endmission" to continue with the campaign :(

well, fixed!
how? Did you find some green smoke?

played two more missions, number #4 is fine, but #5 is stuck in the same way, no blue smoke, only white and red to be found. This is starting to get annoying.

EDIT: I looked in the editor, and saw you give the player a blue smoke by script, but I had no space (I had jumped out of the truck when I saw the hidden ambushers in the house, killed them and got the Negev, then killed the other two at the other house), so I received no blue smoke. It would be much better if you just require any smoke to be tossed for the chopper to come down.

Edited by Brainbug

I give player green or blue smoke when needed.

The only thing you need to do is using you key binned to switch grenades.

In fact, the grenade doesn't show up in your inventory, but you can select it by pressing the "switch grenades" key.

Same for mission 3 and 5.

Sorry if you didn't find it and felt annoyed about it :(

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

#1: error messages "no player selected" and "cannot load jpg"

#2: error messages "cannot load jpg"

picture in #1 and #2:

yeah, there was a mistake, it has now been fixed, will be ok for next release.

and WTF for "no player selected"? the player is actually the main character, I don't get how you can have this error... really weird

"No player selected" will show in SP mission when none of units is set as "player" for example all or few units in squad are set as "playable" but team leader is not set as Player. In coop mission there will be no problem but in SP we will have this error and mission will not start.

Didnt play the mission yet, im waiting for full ver of campaign so im only guessing what can be wrong.

Edited by tom3kb

Well I know how to switch grenade types, but there was no green smoke, neither in my nor in anyone elses inventory, not in the whole #3 mission (you purposely delete all inventory of all blufor soldiers and give them new stuff, so the default green smokes they usually have is replaced with just white ones).

In #5 it worked when I replayed it and left space for a blue smoke. I just think it is not intuitive for the player to expect that he will receive a properly colored smoke out of thin air just when he needs it. He will run around and search for one, not just go close to the LZ without a blue smoke and trust that he will magically receive one. And, as I had to experience, this trick won't work if the player has not space for a smoke nade. So it would be better if you could solve that task somehow differently. As I said, if you just make the trigger wait for any smoke instead of just the green respectively blue one, then it would be much easier. OR you make an action near the LZ that says "toss a green/blue smoke" which creates a smoke object at that spot.

The "no player selected" error was just the error message, but the mission worked well then, I was wondering myself why it worked, because with such an error a mission usually terminates instantly. No idea how it is caused.

In mission 3 and 5, there is a hint or a dialog telling the player to mark LZ with smoke.

Then, in the script, the player is automatically given a smoke of the needed color - he just need to select it and toss it.

Anyway, anything else to report in the other missions? How are you enjoying it so far?

In mission 3 and 5, there is a hint or a dialog telling the player to mark LZ with smoke.

Then, in the script, the player is automatically given a smoke of the needed color - he just need to select it and toss it.

Anyway, anything else to report in the other missions? How are you enjoying it so far?

Mission 5... Convoy gets halted and enemies get killed, but the task is stuck on "defend the convoy"

1) do you play with mods?

2)is the plane come?

I had that too once (I played it several times), but it is not that long from start, so I just restarted the mission, and it worked.

yes, I know that exactly, but only after looking into the editor. You can't expect the player to know that a smoke will magically appear and thus that he doesn't have to look for a smoke and also needs to have enough space (I usually pack everything I can carry, after all an extra box of ammo or a few extra grenades will help you more than an empty vest in most cases). That's why I said it is not intuitive.

Well you can also say that this is no problem because the mission is over anyway when the chopper comes, so making a "endmission" doesn't cut much away. Up to you how serious you think that issue is. I don't want to hold you off from making the other missions in the campaign.

yes I do enjoy it, nice story and constructed with an eye for details, gives an immersive feeling. And I like that I don't have to babysit a bunch of AI that are under my command, if they run out in the fire and die it's not my responsibility, haha. Missions could sometimes be a bit longer, e.g. when you land on Altis and meet your platoon (btw, a platoon leader is usually a Lieutenant, in SF probably a Captain or so), the mission ends already, but you could make it a bit longer if you let them enter a truck and drive to an outpost or so, with some extra dialog lines.

The mission where the airport is under attack is quite slow, but I don't have the fastest computer and I'm also using TPW mod that puts some extra stress on the CPU. Maybe I'll disable it, if I can't bear it, will see...

Wiki maybe in missions with "green smoke" when player and chopper will be close to extraction point add another hint, for example:

hint "Throw green smoke granade. Use F Key to change granades."

Or spawn that green smoke on ground when we will be close to extraction point.

So, I've added a hint + information in the briefing section concenring the smokes.

I hope it will help AND people will take time to read it and follow instructions.

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Also, as I always requested for my missions/campaign, I prefer when people report problems ONLY if their games is vanilla - too many people report problems whereas they have many mods activated and they don't wonder whether it's one of their mod that is the problem.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Preview picture from mission 10

128603image946.jpg

well if I have the slightest suspicion that any error/bug I encounter is caused by an addon, I'll of course test it without any addons before reporting it, that's for sure, don't worry.

Looking forward to the sub mission ;)

Well, I hope people will enjoy it as I'm working hard on it.

It should be longer than my previous ones.

Concerning the sub, it's only for the insertion part but I'm quite satisfied of it, I hope you'll like it!

Mission 10 will probably be release thursday - but still dunno what time.

Mission is almost finished, I still have some dialogs to make and it will be ok.

Get ready for... Operation Aegean Shield guys!

missions #7 and #8 also gave me that "no player selected" error, but it worked fine despite that. Maybe that is because you have an intro section in the mission.sqm that contains two soldiers, but no player defined, so the game complains and doesn't run the intro, but the mission itself works.

also I noticed that one of the mods I'm using lead to the minigun being totally useless in mission #7, so I circled endlessly over the airport and could not take out any vehicles (I didn't even manage to make the 0.08 damage required^^). I'm not sure which of the addons causes this, probably TMR or maybe TPW_mods (EDIT: No, see below!). Quite funny (well, kind of...) to hammer ten thousand rounds onto a vehicle and it doesn't have a single scratch *lol* So if anyone has this same problem, just play without addons (or at least without that one), then the vehicles do blow up quickly as they are supposed to.

Edited by Brainbug

Did you enjoy them anyhow?

Mission 10 should be a real good one (I hope)

Gotta playtest the campaign file as I hadn´t much trouble (except the really hard 6th mission and the chopper that wouldn´t land on 8th), to see if I get those error messages too (thou I use -nologs in launch parameters =P

Keep them coming, Wiki, your missions are, even bugged, some of the best A3 experiences recently ;)

cheers!

what chopper are you talking about in mission 8? didn't you mean in mission 7?

and I will have a look at mission 6, maybe make it easier.

anyway, thanks for your kind words, glad you like them.

Did you enjoy them anyhow?
My apologies, I'm a Westphalian, and we are said to be dry, emotionless and to have an attitude of "not whinged about is praised enough" ;) But really, your missions belong to the best I've played. There are a lot of crappy SP missions out there, some good ones, and few great ones, and your work usually falls into the latter category. That won't hold me from notifying you of a few small bugs if I encounter any. Actually I wouldn't bother if it was a bad mission ;) But to get a fair amount of well deserved compliments, I'm afraid you have to look for someone else who is better capable of delivering those than me.^^

@ Corporal_Lib[bR]: If you mean the Mission #7 where you have to operate the minigun from the chopper - the chopper will land when you have killed both vehicles and the Kaiman as well as all the infantry: two groups, one beside each vehicle and two soldiers on the roof of a house at the southern end of the airstrip. The latter two are a bit hard to see. The tactical HUD goggles from the TPW mod help greatly in spotting them, but as I wrote above, I'm not sure if that addon is responsible for making the mission unplayable (although I tend to think it's rather the TMR mod).

EDIT: No, I found out finally which mod it is that makes the minigun useless against vehicles: JSRS 2.1!! I didn't think that a soundmod would do that, really weird.

Edited by Brainbug

Yeah, Brainbug, I was refering to 7th mission (sorry, Wiki ;) and you´re maybe right, the minigun was quite ineffective and I couldn´t kill all vehicles without being dry on ammo... I´ll try the fix Sakura suggested (removing m134 JSRS sound file) and try it again ;)

Cheers!

I didn't think That a sound mod could have such an impact ;)