Sign in to follow this  
sxp2high

BTK Immersive Mine Detector

Hello.

After playing a couple of missions hat involved clearing mines, I came to the conclusion that the vanilla mine detector is absolute garbage. The whole system makes no sense and is plain immersion breaking.

I'm trying to improve that.

Here is a quick test I did to see what is actually possible with vanilla content. Maybe not very realistic like this, but i think it's a lot more fun and immersive:

Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, I could use some help. Making the mine detector an actual weapon that can be equipped. If someone knows how that works please let me know. I suck at config stuff :)

Great work.

The vanilla Mine Detector always pissed me off because I had no clue how far it is away and how many mine´s I detected.

In the video you can see in your Interface, how far the mine is away and the name. But what does the other thing mean. (Mine: [Number])

Also how is you mod reacting to mutiple mines? Will the closest one be displayed?

+ I think it would be good to cut the numbers. I think a "#,## m" format (means : 1,53m away) for the distance should be enough?

Anyway good job.

Regards NIN3

Thanks. Good questions. The hint in the top right was just for testing, ignore that. :)

No idea how these things work in real-life, but for interface I think a simple indicator would be the best. Like this:

hYkpHM8.jpg

The more red dots, the closer you are. Simple and effective.

As for multiple mines, you're right, it will just react to the closest one. Once disabled it will "jump" to the next one.

Edited by sxp2high

Awesome idea, will you also be able to get this working with Brian's IED script at all that would definitely be awesome.

Thanks, good point. Should be no problem. I will look into some IED scripts and make sure it's compatible. :thumbsup:

Here's a tip, I don't know exactly how mines work, but you can grab the name from their config file.

_wep = _this select 0;
_name = typeOf _wep;
_cfg = (configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> _name);
_DescShort = if (isText(_cfg >> "displayName")) then {
getText(_cfg >> "displayName")
} else {
"/"
};

Obviously you might want to use another var than _wep so you're working with the right thing, and you might have to look in cfgAmmo instead of cfgVehicles.

Would love to work with you to get this working on my Random IED script.

Thanks Tinter I appreciate that, but the hint was just for testing purposes, it will be removed later. :)

Nice work brians200, I'm looking at your script right now.

I can check for the possible IED objects in addition to mines, and then check the object for getVariable to determine if it is an IED:

_isIed = if (!(isNil {_object getVariable "_sectionName"})) then { true } else { false };

Seems to be working. Let me know if you think there is a better way.

What method are you using for mine detection? I have an IED mod of my own that I am working on, so if there's some way to provide support from my end that would be awesome.

With regards to making it a weapon, I don't have all the details but somethings you will need to consider, is having a weapon bone in the model for the detector, then you'd also need a "animation" which simply specifies where the hands will be placed on the weapon when holding it.

Needs an option to silence the bleeper i.e. for TvT missions... sneakingthrough Minefields etc

Yes, if you provide details on how you are detecting the mines, I could support you from my end. I will send you a pm

@LordHeart,

It looks like he is just using getVariable on the objects.

I propose we both create a variable called "_isIED" on the object that represents the IED. Then the value can be a unique identifier to you and me, in case somebody wants to differentiate.

Edited by brians200

Needs an option to silence the bleeper i.e. for TvT missions... sneakingthrough Minefields etc

Good point, I'll keep that in mind.

With regards to making it a weapon, I don't have all the details but somethings you will need to consider, is having a weapon bone in the model for the detector, then you'd also need a "animation" which simply specifies where the hands will be placed on the weapon when holding it.

Thanks for the heads up. Absolutely not my area of expertise, so I guess I'll just stick with attachTo for now.

What method are you using for mine detection? I have an IED mod of my own that I am working on, so if there's some way to provide support from my end that would be awesome.
Yes, if you provide details on how you are detecting the mines, I could support you from my end. I will send you a pm

@LordHeart,

It looks like he is just using getVariable on the objects.

I propose we both create a variable called "_isIED" on the object that represents the IED. Then the value can be a unique identifier to you and me, in case somebody wants to differentiate.

Yup, getVariable/setVariable would be the easiest way. It would be perfect if you could also nil the setVariable, once the IED is disabled. Thanks! ;)

I'm experimenting with some HUD methods at the moment. I see why BIS added that mine icon, it's very, very difficult to find mines in tall grass without it. Hopefully I can find a solution that makes it doable.

I'm testing with a customized version of BIS_fnc_dirIndicator right now, which gives you a vague idea of the direction:

QPCtBgY.jpg

If anyone has a better idea please let me know :)

Edited by sxp2high

How about making dir arrows coloured depending on distance from a mine? (strong red - deadly, weak green - far, etc.)

A UI element would be a slick addition to this.

How about using the audio as clues to where the mine is, currently it beeps louder/faster based on distance (correct me if I am wrong), perhaps increase/decrease based on direction as well as distance, to give a subtle clue. Perhaps as a hardcore mode if it would make it a bit too intense for more casual use.

Hello.

After playing a couple of missions hat involved clearing mines, I came to the conclusion that the vanilla mine detector is absolute garbage. The whole system makes no sense and is plain immersion breaking.

I'm trying to improve that.

Here is a quick test I did to see what is actually possible with vanilla content. Maybe not very realistic like this, but i think it's a lot more fun and immersive:

Any suggestions or ideas?

Also, I could use some help. Making the mine detector an actual weapon that can be equipped. If someone knows how that works please let me know. I suck at config stuff :)

Catch me on steam ( http://imageshack.com/a/img843/5237/lj0d.jpg )

Some good ideas again, thanks!

Alduric, that's looking real good, I've added you in Steam. :)

Dude this looks awesome, good luck and can't wait!