Juhansson

How to get smooth texture transitions?

I got 1024 x 1024 x 4m terrain. Satmask and satimg both 2048 x 2048. Satellite/surface (mask) tiles settings as 1024 x 1024 with 16 px overlap. Texture layer size 4x4m. Satmask consists of only two colors green for grass and yellow for gravel.

And i get these ugly sharp texture transitions:

http://imgur.com/cXiQg4y

Tried searching for clues how to improve this but I couldnt find any helpful relevant information. Solid advice and wild guesses all welcome and appriciated.

Everything's a little "small scale", which probably isn't helping...

Terrain Builder is a little less forgiving of "odd sizes for stuff" than good 'ol V3...

Your heightmap is - 1024x1024@4m = 4096 meters

Try making a 4096x4096 sat & mask (= 1px/meter - generally regarded as a "minimum res")...

Satellite/surface (mask) tiles settings as 1024 x 1024 with 16 px overlap.

This part is fine...

Texture layer size 4x4m.

This part isn't...

Texture layer Optimum Size is around 40m x 40m - however, the sizes you're offered are tied to your heightmap cell size... so you'll be offered sizes like 4x4m, 8x8m, 16x16m, etc, etc...

At the Very Least - you should choose a size that is LARGER than your heightmap cell size - and preferably as close to 40x40m as you can get...

Have another go with the settings above and see if there's any improvement...

Remember to delete your old ProjectFolder\Data\Layers folder+contents and then recrunch the layers with the new settings before checking them out in Buldozer....

B

Did the above changes and set the texture layer size to 32 x 32. I dont even know what this setting does, but it is ok because all is smooth now! Thanks again B, you the best <3

Edit: wow also doubled my fps and middle textures started to work. I thought i had bad fps because my pc couldnt handle 4m cell size. :D

Edited by Juhansson

Ok ill have to ask one more thing. I cant get custom mid textures to work. I put " midDetailTexture = "\mymapnamegoeshere\data\mid_range_mco.paa"; " to my maps config. And put the mid_range_moc.paa to that folder. And then i have no mid range textures in my island. If i leave that out, it uses the one inherited from stratis, and that shows and works. I dont use tags anywhere. Im trying to use one of bad bensons mid textures. I bet im doing something very simple wrong again.

Try....

midDetailTexture = "mymapnamegoeshere\data\mid_range_mco.paa";

without the leading "\" at the beginning of the path.....

B

Knew it was something simple... Its really odd that some paths require that dash and some dont. I should figure out whats up with my mikeros pbo project so debuggin this kind of stuff would be easy. No more silly questions for a week I promise.

I should figure out whats up with my mikeros pbo project so debuggin this kind of stuff would be easy.

Mikero's PBOProject is the most ruthless, unforgiving ba*@$%d of a packer on the face of the planet - which is exactly what you want... If theres the slightest thing wrong with your project it'll simply refuse to pack it - but it will also tell you WHY, and usually, WHERE to look for the problem...

It's well worth getting it up and running properly - particularly for terrain packing since there's just so many different files & paths, etc involved in the process...

B