gmwo

Wander Panzer(WAP) MOD for ArmA3

Pilot coverall looks closer to this :)

http://www.youbeli.com/images/screenshots/8624_50058.jpg

And else one suggestion: Wanzers need more armor (and ammo). Because now they can be destroyed with one shot from cannon or Titan AT-launcher.

That's Front Mission Evolved (made by a different company) which isn't even canon. It's also horrible!

BTW: I just looked at Front Mission Evolved gameplay videos, they are at least good source depicting Wanzer animations, you should check them out. The biggest difference is that legs move much faster and the torso actually moves up and down when walking, making the whole animation more natural. If you make torso move and have arms buffer/stabilize the movement a bit (so weapons are kept point at same point more or less) the walking animation will look much more natural. However you would need the arms bend in elbows and wrists in addition of being rotated on shoulders.

PS: I may sound critical toward your work, but believe me: Im actually ecstatic about your mod as Im great fan of Front Mission and I love rand stuff like aliens and mechs in Arma. Keep up the good work :thumb:.

I honestly wouldn't even look at FME.

For the mod creator:

Uniforms and U.C.N. helmets: http://imgur.com/a/yS4J5 (They also wear small backpacks)

O.C.U. helmets: http://imgur.com/a/foCBY

Crosshairs: http://imgur.com/a/TKJOK (not important)

Good movement demostrations:

FM5 gameplay:

(!!!!)

FM5 cutscene

FM Online gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exwYpgFrMH0

I'll gladly provide more informations if needed.

Edited by Ephant

I honestly wouldn't even look at FME.

Yeah it totally sucked balls, that is why I said that it at least good source depicting Wanzer animations. Front Mission 5 FTW all the way.

FM5 isnt a good source for Wanzer walking reference they went with skating wanzers all the way (I think because it was easier to make faster animations), so the first video isnt a good reference. On the other hand ALL wanzers in FM4 walked in game (there is some skating in FMV but that is all).

I have found video from FM4 that has good walking sounds at 9:46.

The whole video is good, 7:10 has tutorial shown, great view on walking animations from the side, that wasnt skipped by the player. Also you guys should check if you never heard of Front Mission series. THIS is how it is supposed to look, Evolved is an abomination.

BTW: Hey Ephant! Glad to see another Front Mission fan! :bounce3:

EDIT: Would it be possible to ragdoll destroyed wanzers? I was having fun with ZEUS and I saw wanzer skating down the street only to be pwned by AT missile. I would love to see it fall over and skid like you can see it happen in FM3 into video (check my link above).

EDIT 2: Thinking about animations: here's a tip I read somewhere about making good walking animations (be it humans or otherwise). To make them look good they need to have: bounce, stomp and sway. When lifting the leg the body must move too (bounce). When character's or mech's leg comes down the whole body keeps going down a bit longer due to inertia (stomp) and it's lifted up during the bounce. During all phases the body and legs sway and rotate a bit (sway). This may sound pretty silly, but all it means is that the animations need to show the weight that is moved.

Edited by Taro8

I updated !!

Because I am weak in English, I cannot reply very much...

However I do best to reflect the opinion that I had in a MOD!:)

v1.05

- Added a New WAP !!(New WAP'S name is Frost.Frost is made by Diable Avionics of U.S.N. America.)

- WAPs became able to 240 degrees turns.(I am trouble now.When enemies come behind,WAPs cannot shoot. This is because WAPs think oneself to be Tank which can 360 degrees turns?)

- WAPs became able to use it's shield (It is only AIs to be able to still use it.)

Very nice,amazing job so far and congrats on the new wanzer,been enjoying them from the start.

Because I am weak in English, I cannot reply very much...

Well, the best way to improve is to try to replay ;). You dont need to write essays, as long you as write that you agree with something or dont, or giving us an info about something you may have problem with, we will be happy. However its all up to you :).

Edited by Taro8

Thanks for implementing the shield! I hope someone helps with the 240 degrees issue.

I absolutely love this mod. Even being a hardcore Milsim fan, I found much enjoyment in battling with or against these mechs...made for quite interesting battles. I do agree with some of the above posters about upgrading the armor on these mechs, as it does seem they can be knocked out pretty fast when going up against tanks or AT weapons. I don't want them to be invincible, just feel they should take more than a single AT blast before being put out of commission. Regardless, this is one sci-fi mod that has me hooked.

Another alternate option you could add for the Wanzers, is the ability to 'Dash', maybe as an action where they could quickly speed-boost from side to side, forward or backward. This would make them more mobile and possibly even more likely to dodge critical attacks that would have otherwise destroyed them. And personally, I don't think it would be that bad to move away from walking animations in favor of the 'skating' movement that was seen in FME. This would require a bit less work in terms of animations, and would make the Wanzers more agile in the process...just a thought anyhow. Also, if there could be an action to plant your shield down infront of you, would be extremely helpful, as you could then block heavy swarms of incoming attacks...that is if the shield could be made invulnerable, separate from the body. 'Block, Dash, Destroy'

Loving this addition to the Armaverse, and looking forward to seeing this Mod evolve. These fit perfectly with BI's 'future Arma'. Just dreaming, but maybe the next big Mech addition to the game could be something reminiscent of Titanfall. :p Thanks again for all your work and the release.

Hello!

I love your mod! And I find the new Mecha "Frost" more beautiful than the first one Mecha.

I have a question, or rather a request: Do you plan to make drilled spiders? I think Spiders Mecha would go perfectly with your Mechas, of the genre, a turret of tank on four legs :3

Edited by Drakedaeron

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

New update v1.05 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@wap.png

I think a solution to the torso is to allow it to go 360 degrees. In theory this should be possible, even if it doesn't adhere to the logic of FM.

Does it have to be 100% faithful to FM? The lack of engagement when outside leg 'range' really is a detractor. Allowing a 360° would at least make them lethal.

I think a solution to the torso is to allow it to go 360 degrees. In theory this should be possible, even if it doesn't adhere to the logic of FM.

I think so too in order to solve this problem.

But, I want to make WAPs to turn every body (not the upper half of the body only) when They engage enemies on the back side.

Because I think that the Limit of WAP's turn is the Limit of one-man operation and a WAP must be weaker than a Tank at the time of fight on the level ground.

I think that Armies can manage WAPs by less number of soldiers and less cost than Tanks ,for that reason Armies adopt WAPs and use them.

Onthe other hand, I think that WAPs have some faults in compensation for some advantages.

For this reason, I want to make WAPs to be able to fight normally ,maintaining their faults.

---------- Post added at 02:38 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

I updated !:)

v1.06

- Changed sound of footstep

- Changed script of sound(when single play,use playsound3D.when MP,use playsound)

- Changed view of driver depend on view of gunner(For AI)

=> players becomes easy to look at a radar.

Thank you gmwo! By the way, is there a way to make the robot fall down when destroyed?

New update v1.06 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@wap.png

Thank you gmwo! By the way, is there a way to make the robot fall down when destroyed?

Actually I quite like the upright burning wreck. As it is based on a tank model I don't think we can have a falling model anyway.

@gmwo I'm finding movement forward a little more difficult now. Constantly holding w doesn't make the wanzer accelerate, but can actually cause it to stay at 15km/hr

Edited by Kremator

:icon_lol: I was playing around with wanzers a bit and Im looking around to spot the enemy and I see teammate's wanzer just get launched in the air in complete non sequitur moment of hilarity. I think he may have run into some obstacle and physics engine just went "fuck this" and launched him into space.

Anyway, as for shooting while pointing back: would it be possible to animate arms so they move to the sides independently of body? This would allow pointing the gun directly behind similar to how human can do it?

Also: could you have receiver slide back when shooting and arm moving due to recoil? Right now MG's are too accurate IMHO if arm would throw off the aim a bit due to recoil animation it would look more natural.

@gmwo I'm finding movement forward a little more difficult now. Constantly holding w doesn't make the wanzer accelerate, but can actually cause it to stay at 15km/hr

It is not necessary for you to "hold" W to move forward.If you press W key once, the WAP move forward without stopping.

So, if the WAP stay at 15km/hr , the WAP misunderstands your order to be to advance slowly.

In such a case, you will get along well if you press A or D key several times in order to cancel the order that has been already done by you.:)

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

:Anyway, as for shooting while pointing back: would it be possible to animate arms so they move to the sides independently of body? This would allow pointing the gun directly behind similar to how human can do it?

e450dffa-s_zpsa4fd68c7.jpg

like this ?:confused:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I googled some facts about Wanzers:

Military-use wanzers or WAPs:

height - 5.4 to 5.8 meters

width - 2.3 to 2.6 meters

weight - 20 to 30 tons

armoring - ceramic laminate and reactive

movement - walking and roller dash

walking speed - 30 km/h, 60 if running

roller dash speed - 120 to 200 km/h

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/924653-front-mission-5-scars-of-the-war/55626637

About the roller dash speed: Wanzers like the Frost were only 120km/h fast (like most of the standard Wanzers)

---------------

I think the movement should be changed to something like this:

Press W 1 time: slow walking

Press W again: walking

Press W again: running

Press S to adjust your speed (running-> walking, slow walking-> stop etc)

Controls like in every other vehicle would be great, but I have no idea if that's even possible.

Press Shift: roller dash stance (higher acceleration and speed; usable at 0km/h)

Here's another video from Front Mission Online:

The transition between running and roller dashing is very short and dynamic.

The current leg animations should also be a little bit faster to match it more with the "visual speed".

Ganbatte, gmwo! It's awesome so far!

like this ?

Yes something similar. If you want to know what I meant about pointing backward, just stand up and point finger behind you without moving legs, only by moving the torso.

However I got an idea a moment ago: right now the torso is the turret while the legs are the "real body". How about slaving the legs to the torso? Tell the AI that it can rotate the "turret" torso 360deg but in game when torso rotates about 160deg the legs will automatically rotate the same way. This may require some scripting though. However this way the wanzers will turn to face the enemy.

About arms, yes something like this. It would be also cool if small mouse movement would only move arms. In other words arms shouldnt move with torso only but have range of movement on their own.

About walking animations: right now the biggest issue IMHO is that wanzers "drag" their legs on the ground. It dosent look natural or how it did in FM. Some more lifting may be needed.

The slaving idea might just work. I can't remember the mod where the chassis turned to face the enemy. It was something to do with improving armour survivability.

Ok I did some faffing about in sound editing and I made a robot walking sound. Dunno if its more like wanzer walking, but here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8o8ni3tf8y1d3g9/wanzer_walk_mock_up.ogg

I just couldnt get it right, for me it lacks something like weight or the scale of the robot.

As we are at walking: how about making wanzer walking speed same (or very similar) for all terrains? Slower on road then normal vehicles, but losing very little speed when going offroad. Just to give wanzers an unique trait.

Edited by Taro8