Sign in to follow this  
turnyturns

Arma 2: CO on macbook pro 2013

I have a late macbook pro 2013 15" retina display and was wondering if it would run Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA enough to be playable. (maybe even the DayZ mod) I looked at the specs for the game and I understand that its not accurate when im using bootcamp but I was thinking I still have enough power.

Here are my Specs:

Late 2013 macbook pro 15" retina

2.4 GHz quad core intel i7 processor

8GBs of RAM

Resolution is 2880 X 1800

Intel HD Graphics 4000 (built in)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. And also let me know if you need more info.

PS: I am very tolerant when it comes to performance and i've played the game on low frame rates like 25 to 30 fps so that to me is playable.

Edited by turnyturns

I don't have a macbook pro (nice piece of kit) but judging by the specs it should run fine.

BTW what resolution is the screen?

If and when you join this fraternity, these tweaks may help you get it running smoothly all while looking good:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Essentially to run OA as smooth as possible you need high clock speed CPU, i.e. better to have a 3Ghz dual-core than a 2Ghz quad or even hex core.

Also an SSD also helps reduce LoD thrashing or even texture thrashing as OA reads data at an alarmingly high rate, i.e. most HDD (especially the 5400rpm sort often found in laptops) may cause issues, especially if you are flying.

Finally if there's 1 setting in OA that kills framerates, it's 's Draw Distance.

OA is unique among its kind in that it can render draw distance up to 10km!

OA is definitely NOT the type of game where you should think "My PC is powerful so I can ramp up all the options to Max!"

OA will crush all but the most powerful PCs (4+GHz CPU, SSD & uber graphics card).

So accept that 1.6km draw distance is more than enough for most infantry missions.

If flying, 2.4km is fine in most conditions (though 3.2 is a welcome improvement).

Obviously higher draw distance is more satisfying is better but ultimately framerate should remain the critical factor.

Finally don't forget OA isn't some twitchy FPS; its more of a thinking man's FPS.

So you may be surprised to find that 30 fps offers a great gaming experience (obviously 60 fps would be better but you'll never get that with a laptop on IA).

Hope that helps

Edited by domokun