Sign in to follow this  
UltimateBawb

Pistol rounds penetrate AH-9 glass

.45 ACP and 9mm rounds both penetrate without any deflection, questionable as to whether the glass even exists or it's just fake glass like in the shit tier tempest.

Usually in the real world curved cockpit glass is not made from heavy mineral glass but light high density polymer. No problem to penetrate those 5mm of plexiglass with a .22 cal.

Usually in the real world curved cockpit glass is not made from heavy mineral glass but light high density polymer. No problem to penetrate those 5mm of plexiglass with a .22 cal.

Do you have a source? I'm not doubting you, I'm just interested, never knew this.

being in the glass industry all my life i can tell you Beagle is correct,

glass couldn't cope with the extremes of being a canopy, bird strikes being one factor that glass couldnt cope with, extreme fibrations from fast jets would constantly crack the glass, plus like Beagle said trying to mold laminated glass into a canopy shape would be nearly impossible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_canopy

As the OH-6 had a canopy that could be broken by tree limbs (Source: Low Level Hell by Hugh Mills.) I see no problem with sidearms shooting through the canopy of it's grandchild. :p

Most heli windows are plexiglass. THIN plexiglass, at that. The only ones that are heavier glass are the main windshields on the bigger heli's, and the attack heli's. The light scout aircraft are all thin plexi. IIRC, they are 1/8" thickness. You could shoot a BB gun through them. That big bubble on the AH-9 (AH-6 in real life) is certainly plexi.

Source: I did helicopter structures in the army.

Edited by JestersDead