Sign in to follow this  
MiNoxus

A couple of beginner questions concerning mission making.

Hello, I recently started working on a mission but I'm pretty new to all the scripting stuff. I've had a couple of questions, some of which have been solved by googling but a few remain.

First of, how to delay a task assignment. I made simple trigger when the chopper lands and makes you unload. After that you need to walk up to an officer who is waiting for you. This ends the first task perfectly, but then I'd like the officer to say a few things and assign you a new task which is get in the car behind him.

At the moment, the next task is just automatically added instantly after the first one ends, so it doesn't show up because the other 'task succeeded' thing is still showing. How do I delay this so the player gets the assignment -after- the officer talks?

Next question is how to make tasks show up where you need to go like in the actual ArmA 3 campaign?(Waypoints?)

Last question is how to get the location and time to show up in the left bottom corner at the start of a mission.

I'm currently using the in-game editor to throw this together but I've heard that scripting the whole thing works better although I've got no idea how to do this. If anyone knows a good tutorial I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

MiNoxus

Edited by MiNoxus

Hey mate for the delayed new task assignment just have it synced to it's own separate trigger covering the same area as your last task succeeded trigger but put a countdown time delay on it.

I don't use onscreen waypoints as for me I like a clear screen so I just add a link in the task description on the map screen that you can show as a grid reference or name so you can click on it and it moves to that area of the map. I think you can do what you want with the onscreen WP but last I heard it doesn't work all the time.

As for the location and time showing at start of a mission you can just use a trigger and the text option under the effects tab. You can have it show up center bottom or just center of screen.

Hey mate for the delayed new task assignment just have it synced to it's own separate trigger covering the same area as your last task succeeded trigger but put a countdown time delay on it.

I don't use onscreen waypoints as for me I like a clear screen so I just add a link in the task description on the map screen that you can show as a grid reference or name so you can click on it and it moves to that area of the map. I think you can do what you want with the onscreen WP but last I heard it doesn't work all the time.

As for the location and time showing at start of a mission you can just use a trigger and the text option under the effects tab. You can have it show up center bottom or just center of screen.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Do you know how to make units have specific names in the game? As I'd like to make certain characters and currently, they're only speaking with names like: Alpha 1-1 and Alpha 1-3

is a great task-related tutorial by Jester. Check out his other editor tutorials for more information. It's where I started, it's a great place to start.

If you want to give them special name or ID to appear in sidechat, radio conversations, etc, just put this to the units init field:

this setGroupId ["myNewID"];

is a great task-related tutorial by Jester. Check out his other editor tutorials for more information. It's where I started, it's a great place to start.

I'm watching it now, learned quite a lot already. Thanks for the tip! Certainly going to watch a bunch more of his tutorials.

If you want to give them special name or ID to appear in sidechat, radio conversations, etc, just put this to the units init field:

this setGroupId ["myNewID"];

This does not appear to be working for me, sadly. When I do this it just breaks anything the person should say and does not show it.

My fault, got it to work, had changed the name of the unit in the init.sqf so the unit just wouldn't say anything at all until I fixed it in the unit's init. Thanks for the help.

Edited by MiNoxus

Search for Mr Murray's Editing Guide - old but most info is still relevant