Sign in to follow this  
zeealex

Female heads Mod (yes, another one)

I'd rather have a robot female than none at all, so keep it coming. Hopefully you can release an initial NATO/Anglo mod first while you work out the kinks of the additional region/dialect models. Having an Arabic/Urdu female in-game sounds awesome, but having ANY female in game first would be even better. Thanks for your continued work!

Well, if you go by that, I'd say female civilians should be the most important.

First, because it is more likely to see female civilians, second because civilians usually don't need any voiceover work. :>

okay just a quick report:

the model was modified to make it look like she was wearing a compression bra, in 2030-whatever it's a uniform requirement, so while she does have breasts, they aren't big, sorry guys! :P

Those breasts look fairly spot on for a typical woman -- high-B/low-C -- so it's perfect just the way it is. It's nice to have a woman in the game whose class isn't "Hooker", for once.

My main complaint is however the shape of her ribcage, on her sides -- instead of her waist being narrow and then expanding to encompass her lower ribs, it's like her waist is too wide and then narrows to encompass her ribcage: she does look like a fairly typical sedentary woman, but would have almost no lung capacity as a soldier. I'd suggest keeping the same body width and overall curve, since it's about spot on for an athletic woman, but making the narrowest part about 10 centimetres lower, to miss her lower ribs and have the narrowest part floating between her pelvis and ribs.

okay just a quick report:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/121/b/7/report_by_zeealex-d7grl10.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/121/5/f/prelim_test_nato_gear_2_by_zeealex-d7grm0o.jpg

the basic variation of the nato gear is in, working moderately well, weighting needs tweaking (as per norm) mostly to the right arm, you can probably see it, and there will be some model updates in the future, this one will probably be rehashed as the AAF gear. even though i prefer this look, obviously once the combat shirt has been textured properly it'll look better.

the model was modified to make it look like she was wearing a compression bra, in 2030-whatever it's a uniform requirement, so while she does have breasts, they aren't big, sorry guys! :P

the boots are using a rough self made texture, I can't live with only one Magnum Elite Spider variation in the game (big Magnum fan)

there will be a lot of camo variations available, from CSAT hex camo (I hope) to USMC MARPAT.

report is subject to change, and yes i know my graphics skills suck, i'm out of practice and it's nearly 3am XD

Where did you get the pant and boots model from?

Aside the fact that the models are outstanding (the last screenshots where a bit distant, have the "more feminine hands" been worked on the model or not quite yet?), and all the praising, just wanted to share this article to justify a bit more Zeealex work - http://news.yahoo.com/women-scaling-barriers-combat-160101508.html

Cheers!

I thought this music video would be a good reference for female marines.

Would be awesome to have a KP head in there. :D

Where did you get the pant and boots model from?

here http://tf3dm.com/ but my personal feelings are that the site is quite dodgy, so I'm only using the models from there as a reference point of the final look, the way I work, i have to update people regularly, and i admit i didn't make it clear that the model was a reference. for that I apologise

Everything you see, body wise, will be undergoing a lot of changing come thursday, possibly even the rehashed arma 2 stuff, as I've been working on my own models in mudbox, I hoped to get them done sooner, but thanks to my graphics A-level utilizing most of my modelling time, I've not got a lot done, but thursday is my deadline for graphics, and then i've got a lot more free time to do this stuff, when the new models i've done myself are finished are imported into A3, the other heads have been done and then the reskins, i'm happy to release a beta, but i'm not releasing the mod as is with the references.

Aside the fact that the models are outstanding (the last screenshots where a bit distant, have the "more feminine hands" been worked on the model or not quite yet?), and all the praising, just wanted to share this article to justify a bit more Zeealex work - http://news.yahoo.com/women-scaling-...160101508.html

Cheers!

good read, thanks.

check above, the models there are currently secondary reference, and, as of thursday, the models will be undergoing a fair bit of changing, i've got the female arms there, character generator builds a good pair that rig well. I just need to get those mudbox models done, then I can work the hands into those models.

Its awesome to see this much depth in a mod like this, keep up the awesome work!

danke freund!

I thought this music video would be a good reference for female marines.

I listen to that song while weighting models in O2 XD

Would be awesome to have a KP head in there.

and funnily enough, I was thinking about doing that :P

voices are proving difficult, anyone know how the config should be set up?

I listen to that song while weighting models in O2 XD

Wonder what you would be doing listening to "last friday night"? :P

and funnily enough, I was thinking about doing that :P

Most awesome if this makes into a release build! :D

voices are proving difficult, anyone know how the config should be set up?

Try to unpbo the ARMA 2 source files for the character models. There should be a config there to reference the voices. And then there might be a need to unpbo the sound.pbo to see the file structure.

Edit - try this example A3 model example

https://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/a/a7/A3_Character_Examples_1.1.zip

More info here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Modding_Characters

I think you should also PM Dwarden to see if BIS could give you a reference config. I would think they would totally support your incredible work here.

Wonder what you would be doing listening to "last friday night"? :P...

Most awesome if this makes into a release build!...

errm, the weighting i did last friday night? XD no, normally Katy Perry isn't my music style, it's normally the likes of Mark Petrie and Epic North music I listen to, Katy perry is okay though. anything that isn't nicki minaj or just pointless is fine by me.

it would depend on the Character generator's limitations, i could try and create someone in her likeness i suppose.

got the arma 2 files and configs extracted, would they work straight up in A3? i've been modifying the filenames to match A3 ones... hmm. i'll give it a test on just the A2 config setup... i'm curious now.

Edited by zeealex

just opened up mudbox again managed to get a bit more done on the pants.

pants_no_bumps_by_zeealex-d7hgxam.jpg

detail and neatening up is really all it needs, I plan to add as much detail as possible onto a bump map, zips, the fabric texture, everything to make this look as close to the arma 3 level of detail as possible, adding the flaps to the pockets can be done in 3dsM when it's finished.

Hey Zee, also try the ARMA 3 model sample in my previous link to see if the config is different vs Arma 2.

I have it on my Pc, the model configs are roughly the same, but the voice configs are completely different, at present the only model there is, is a guy in his underwear, mainly to help with rigging etc.

looks like i'm going to have to SubD model most of these though, rather than sculpt them, because 3ds is being a total jockey about the mudbox model, won't unwrap the UVs, it's only 66,000 polys it's unwrapped the UV maps for models over 100,000 polys before... to maya!

okay, they've had a very basic marpat and multicam texture applied after maya was able to get the UVW map extracted and into mudbox.

there's a strange black mark in the crotch area, it's that specific MARPAT texture, as the multicam one doesn't have it, I'm going to do the texture properly later

trousers__basic_texture__render_1_by_zeealex-d7hrlzv.jpg

render__old_boots_by_zeealex-d7hrpsy.jpg

Multicam Render:

multicam_render_by_zeealex-d7hrs2n.jpg

(uses the very old boot model)

no normal map is active in the model, the texture and the renderer is taking control of those shadowy areas, and possibly that strange mark too.

something about me just doesn't sit well with too many wrinkles, it just looks odd, certainly when the trousers aren't tied above the boot, but I'll maybe add some more in, and the normal map will help emphasise what's there.

so yeah, sorry about that in advance, probably disappointed that it's not more wrinkly, when the trouser is tied above the boot, that's a different kettle of fish, there'll most likely be two variants to accommodate for a more classic military uniform style.

the model now sits at around 9,000 polys, boots included, which is pretty much perfect for arma 3, the animations should look nice and smooth, obviously if this is 9,000 polys i'll want to make use of them, currently i could get away with it being 4,000 but the animations would look slightly more wooden.

I'll get the textures done and up to standard, then port ingame using the older shirt and boots, straight away, so you get some juicy screenies.

busy busy busy! dontcha just love starting the body models over! :P

while i'm not doing body models, i'm importing heads, if i'm not importing heads or body models i'm sleeping XD

provided all goes well with the trousers i'll be able to move on to the shirt and boots Ricky Tick, shouldn't take too long, and then voila! working NATO model.

Both of those are looking good. Any wrinkles should just be where a person normally bends to look good :

- between belt and waist line

- front pockets

- side pockets (if any)

- crouch

- behind the knees (but can be covered with knee pads)

- maybe ankle if boot length

No need to OVER do it.

Same for shirts

- neck line

- under arms

- elbows

- mid torso (from twisting and turning around)

i've started to realize, 3ds isn't the best environment in the world for rendering XD, maya does a much better job.

Both of those are looking good. Any wrinkles should just be where a person normally bends to look good :

- between belt and waist line

- front pockets

- side pockets (if any)

- crouch

- behind the knees (but can be covered with knee pads)

- maybe ankle if boot length

No need to OVER do it.

Same for shirts

- neck line

- under arms

- elbows

- mid torso (from twisting and turning around)

danke Valken! :) the back of the knee and crotch wrinkles are taken care of by the normal map, along with emphasis on the lower area's lighting (check maya renders)

when I get on to the shirt later today, I'll take this into consideration :)

UnderConstruction_zpsada8ba89.jpg

okay so after my epiphany, I started using maya's rendering environment to show the normal map working properly as it should appear in game, i'm having a little trouble with the RVMATs at the moment so no normal map is present in the in game shot, but the texture has been upgraded, the UVW map needs some work though, the textures don't match very well.

deviant art is down so photobucket's crappy resolution it is... when it's back up i'll update the links so you can see the detail better.

Maya_render_zps1905c0fc.jpg

I'm in the process of adding a zip.

ingame up close (no normal map)

Arma3screenshot_zps1bba4811.jpg

I have a FRAPS recording of them in use, not very exciting, but it just shows the model working well. there's a small positioning issue with the vest's drop leg platform, easily fixed... mind you i'll say that and i'll inadvertently start WW3 XD

You should make the camo bigger looks a little too small

aye aye, I'll fix that up now, thanks :)

female combat shirt is very nearly done, just needs optimizations and textures I think. hopefully the curves aren't too obvious, they can always be toned down in O2 later on.

tried to enlarge the ribcage over the hips this time, main reason was to factor in the suggestion that a woman of military fitness is likely to sport a larger ribcage due to higher lung capacity.

hopefully it doesn't look too ridiculous :P

_wip__fem_shirt_2_by_zeealex-d7i59cx.jpg

Looks good actually. Shoulders look a tad broad for slim fit athletic girls?

womenvets_01_custom-22c28d745709b4f298af55755e81314dc9bbd492-s6-c30.jpg

2617960e7d37aaa162dad71269be28f1.jpg?itok=RO2HG0yT

Nah, they are just raised in the render whereas in the pictures they are relaxed.

Yeah I suppose they are a little broad, the base mesh was a 502 polygon simple male jumper, it's also worth noting that there is some padding on the average combat shirt's shoulders making the appear broader

Thank you so fucking much for this, I'll be able to play ARMA 3 now (when my exams are over, of course). Out of principle, because you managed to beat BI to the punch despite being a single individual, and not getting paid, I'll donate twice however much I buy the game for, when I buy it in a couple of weeks. You have paypal? PM me.