Sign in to follow this  
olds

Olds' Configs for Newbs

Olds' Configs for Newbs

0.0.4 Alpha

Download Removed - Information is being moved to the Biki

OK, it's not a mod, it's just a working config guide for new modders. I got frustrated with the absurdly scattershot nature of Arma modding "documentation". Unfinished tutorials, obsolete documentation, it's a freaking mess!:936:

The main utility is probably:

• Human-readable descriptions of config properties
  • Links to the information source(s) (the little hyperlinked X's)

The workbook consists of several sheets:

• Tnk: the first config template (in progress) is drawn from a BIS tank, descriptions of a long list properties to the best of my ability and links to sources. Once this one is decent, I plan to add other templates for Cars, Helos, etc
  • typ: file types, I started this early on and haven't updated it at all; somewhere there's a BIS webpage that actually describes all these--I need to find that link
  • fil: a rough and ready description of what's in the vanilla A3 PBO's, primarily from the config perspective
  • doc: a general list of important documentation links
  • P3D: a summary of the various LOD's in a P3D file

This is a rough-and-ready WIP, not a modding bible.

I'd really appreciate any corrections from more experienced modders!

Reply, PM, whatever and I will correct the errors & omissions.

Edited by Olds

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain

their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work

like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated to latest

Thanks for this Olds. I see that this documentation has come a long way! Something like this has been needed for quite a while.

You might want to add this to the list of documentation. It has proven highly valuable to me in working on RWCO.

***EDIT***

10 minutes looking at Olds' references and I have already found a likely solution to a an issue I had where vehicle weapons were improperly aligned with optics. His reference links very quickly allowed me to identify three relevant parameters:

https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs3/3-0/devref/#Config_Manual/CfgVehicles/P_cpp/cpp_parallaxCorrection.htm%3FTocPath%3D4%20Configuration%20Manual|CfgVehicles|_____355

https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs3/3-0/devref/Content/Config_Manual/CfgVehicles/C_cpp/cpp_canLase.htm

https://manuals.bisimulations.com/vbs3/3-0/devref/Content/Config_Manual/CfgVehicles/C_cpp/cpp_compensateRange.htm

Edited by Shadow_MSOG

@Raptor: thanks man, much appreciated!

@Shadow: delighted to hear it, I'll consider it worthwhile if it does nothing more than help people dig through links. And thanks for the excellent link--I'll be looking to you for guidance when it comes time to make that helo config template! :D

These are part of UKGun technology IIRC. Not part of Arma engine so far.

Yes, several of the best links are to VBS - there's a lot of overlap but take them with a grain of salt. That's why the config templates are ripped from A3 so I'm only delving into properties that BIS--zGuba in fact!--uses.

0.0.2a update:

• Lots more properties & links added to "Tnk" config template. Most properties have entries now.
  • Also added some more details to the P3D sheet.

P.S. The links don't copy properly into Excel for some reason, if you get a bad link--usually in the dev reference--just chop off the last part and use the embedded page search to find the property... it's in there!

Edited by Olds

I downloaded Excel Viewer to open it. Is that they way it should be done or is there another program.

I hate all the unfinished help out there for arma modding. Thanks for your attempt on streamlining it.

I downloaded Excel Viewer to open it. Is that they way it should be done or is there another program.

I hate all the unfinished help out there for arma modding. Thanks for your attempt on streamlining it.

You are most welcome Santa. I'm using Office 2003 XLS files because its something of a standard and can be opened by almost anything (... and because Office 2007+ is a flaming POS in a bag :)). So you have many options in addition to MS Viewer. OpenOffice and the like will also allow you to open and edit such files. I find Google Docs to be a clumsy toy when it comes to actually doing work, but it can certainly be used as a viewer as well.

You are most welcome Santa. I'm using Office 2003 XLS files because its something of a standard and can be opened by almost anything (... and because Office 2007+ is a flaming POS in a bag :)). So you have many options in addition to MS Viewer. OpenOffice and the like will also allow you to open and edit such files. I find Google Docs to be a clumsy toy when it comes to actually doing work, but it can certainly be used as a viewer as well.
I thought why is he posting old configs for newbs. doh!

Nice post.

And..

Never use OpenOffice

It's LibreOffice all the way!!

0.0.3 alpha update!

• PhysX properties basically done.
    • A much better set of links for many of the properties than the default BIS ones
    • Improved descriptions and a couple of little charts shoved in there for those really obscure and poorly documented properties.

[*]A few miscellaneous properties added (mostly related to optics)

Is it possible to use a diff on these sheets? If so, it would be useful to retain all the different versions,

so that one can easily exactly what has been changed. :)

In any case as always top job Olds :bounce3:

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

;2681141']Is it possible to use a diff on these sheets? If so' date=' it would be useful to retain all the different versions,

so that one can easily exactly what has been changed. :)[/quote']Oh, I see your point :o! I added a blurb to the bottom of the first page that will hopefully be of some use there. (I haven't used the xls diff tool myself).

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain

their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work

like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Maybe it would be noteworthy that

MOI and dampinRateInAir play an important role and have to be tweaked together.

MOI does not only reduce acceleration, it also decreases decceleration (logical but not mentioned anywhere).

DampingRateInAir (DRIA) reduces general speed for the wheel more or less. High DRIA -> you need a more powerfull engine or higher transmition to reach same speed as with lower DRIA. High DRIA also means, that your vehicle will deccelerate faster if you dont apply any throttle. It's kind off like Air-Resistance for the vehicle defined per wheel.

What happens if MOI and DRIA are mismatched? Once your vehicle is in motion and you let go of the throttle it continues to accelerate and gets out of controll if you dont brake. Reduce MOI and/or increase DRIA if that happens.

Thank you for the additional detail Fennek - I will add your post as a link to the next version! :)

Significant updates (and reformatting) of the biki page. This is still not complete (I haven't uploaded all the data from the earlier spreadsheet format). However, the descriptions on the biki are much more thorough than what was on the spreadsheet.