Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Objects available in editor : WTF?

Got a question to BIS dev:

why aren't ALL the objects available in the editor?

We can use some object - provided we know their classnames first - but they're NOT available in the editor.

How come? Why aren't they? It would be much simplier to have them in it instead of chagin the name of an object in the mission.sqm file, or put it in the init line to change.

So, do you plan to add them ALL in the editor or not?

Don't count on it. Use CJTF101 Editor to gain editor access to most, if not all, objects. Bonus: it does not add a mod requirement to your missions.

I thought of this too. As BIS stated it is a Military Sandbox... adding the word Sandbox, to me would indicate being able to use 99% if not all the objects to create my own immersive scenario, however, that is not the case. Matter a fact yesterday, i couldn't find concrete ramps, or lamps, which ticked me off actually. I also didn't feel like getting a mod to do that job for me so i left it at that. BIS really needs to add in ALL the objects. (Maybe exclude buildings such as houses, but still most if not ALL).

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Don't count on it. Use CJTF101 Editor to gain editor access to most, if not all, objects. Bonus: it does not add a mod requirement to your missions.

Don't be so pessimistic, if people favor it, BIS is more than likely to add it, with the exception of it being reasonable to have... and this is exactly reasonable to have. They had almost all the important things in Arma 2.

Don't be so pessimistic, if people favor it, BIS is more than likely to add it, with the exception of it being reasonable to have... and this is exactly reasonable to have. They had almost all the important things in Arma 2.

They removed them for a reason, just like they made certain map objects non-interactable (via object ID, I mean). We lived through all of this with Arma 2, and there's no reason to believe it will change in Arma 3. By all means, submit a ticket, but in the meantime there is a community solution in place. There is no reason not to use it.

Yeah I was shocked with how many items you could place while playing as zeus, it really surprised me that you couldn't place them using the editor.

Yeah I was shocked with how many items you could place while playing as zeus, it really surprised me that you couldn't place them using the editor.

^This^

I will use the community way to compensate for the loss of ability to place objects, however, Demongod has a point. If it's possible to place those items in Zeus... Why not editor? The Editor is by no means different from Zeus, only Zeus is 3D and live.

No idea about that either.

It looks like Zeus got all the stuff people were requesting for the 2d editor for a long time to no avail.

I thought of this too. As BIS stated it is a Military Sandbox... adding the word Sandbox, to me would indicate being able to use 99% if not all the objects to create my own immersive scenario, however, that is not the case. Matter a fact yesterday, i couldn't find concrete ramps, or lamps, which ticked me off actually. I also didn't feel like getting a mod to do that job for me so i left it at that. BIS really needs to add in ALL the objects. (Maybe exclude buildings such as houses, but still most if not ALL).

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

you can create any lamps you want by adding a game logic with a command line on it.

It was stated by a Dev: now I am not at home neither i remember it. I'll post it later.

I agreewith the Op anyway.

you can create any lamps you want by adding a game logic with a command line on it.

It was stated by a Dev: now I am not at home neither i remember it. I'll post it later.

I agreewith the Op anyway.

While i agree with using command lines occasionally, I think the point here is having all things available in vanilla editor, without the use of such scripts, so everyone can locate and use them with seamless ease.

Did they add HMS Proteus as a placeable object or does it still need spawning?