PTV-Jobo

Project ASTFOR - Astelandic Armed Forces

Will the xa-180 have any other turrets for it like anti-air or something made up? Also, sorry if this question was already answered but why the older xa-180 instead of the newer xa-360 or even the newest amv xp?

Slightly older kit first. Also, Asteland's government hasn't decided if it would purchase the newer 360 or AMPV or not in the future. It likes to keep its options open for its future upgrades. :)

• Like 6

OFFICIAL NOTICE

Project ASTFOR is still looking for and in desperate need of help and support from our community in way of 3D modelers. I know we've SOS'ed the community many a time and rarely received much of a response. I think it's due partially to the fact of how long we've been in development and lack of releasing what we have so far. In which case, I'll be honest and say I get it. It's a lot of hard work to do that kind of work, and it doesn't make sense offering your talents and time if you think it won't even see the light of day, and thus maaaaaaaybe consider passing on the offer of help because of that.

Again, totally understandable and I get it. However, Project ASTFOR has always been details and quality-focused. We're making sure all of our high and low poly work is as good as we can humanly do, our lore department pretty much established enough information to make a school-level history book of Asteland let alone all the meticulous work into structuring its military. We're even going to be doing our own ArmA 3 radio protocols with voice actors to also improve immersion, etc. And there are tons of other things planned and being worked on also that we cannot disclose at this time, as it would be giving away a lot of easter eggs and other fun stuff. :f::f::f:

So why are we putting so much thought and doing things that most project out there never would? Because we love this project and want it to be the best and immersive project we can do not just for ourselves, but also for the ArmA community! We don't want to half-ass anything, even if it's "just to get something out to play with". We've always striven for quality--even if that quality takes time--and believe first impressions are everything. If the community sees the love and heart in even an alpha release of assets, then things can only get even better. But if we just slap anything together and toss in yet more vanilla asset re-textures just for the sake of actually releasing "something"....then....well, I won't say much on that since it'll be over my dead body before I let that happen, lol. Especially when I know if I was looking at it from the perspective of our fans and supporters after so long waiting and giving them something we would never be proud of putting our names upon, I would also be like: "Wait, what? What's this crap? We've been waiting for all these years, and this is what they release? Pfft!" :eh:

So all I can do is say, look...I get it. But we really, really could use more help on board to really get things moving forward at a better pace and start getting some spectacular stuff out there into the community and grow. I wish I was a rich man that could just make it rain and buy a whole fleet of modelers and whatnot, but I'm not. And until I manage to somehow win the lottery jackpot, all I can do is reach out as a community member to the rest of the community and say--You want ASTFOR and we want to give you ASTFOR, but for that to really happen and especially at a better pace, we need the help. We really appreciate having all the love and support shown to us up until now, but the reality of the matter is we need more help to get the Alpha where it needs to be and released.

For that, we need real genuine help. And unfortunately the occasional offer of help in the past once again resorted in, "Ok what do you guys need? Oh that? Ok great, so I'm uh....going to model something totally different that you probably don't even need just because. Ok? Ok!" So I also need to make an understanding that we need genuine help.

So if there are any people out there that can 3d model--whether their area of interest be infantry kit models or vehicles--feel free to contact me.

Thanks all! :)

• Like 15

Hello,

I'm the sound guy for this project. I'll update this for a small info on how things are going with the new sounds and how we are going to proceed further into the development.

First of all, it was important to us to set certain standards. So an independent sound for this modifications is essential for us! This gives the mod a new and independent soundscape. It is largely based on a modified and extended version of the JSRS Framwork. Nevertheless, the mod should not intervene in parts of the main game and thus function independently without restrictions in the choice of other mods and versions.

This was also the reason for the elaboration and integration of a customized and independent sound structure. We want you to go with Asftor without any obligation to have others mods installed, at least from the point of view of the sound.

The project contains many weapons and vehicles to be implemented during the production process. Each weapon, each vehicle will have its own recognizable sound. For the realization of these effects, we use great and also complex measures for the collection and processing. The shopping of expensive libraries is superfluous because I have already made it available in my freelancerships. The new system is based on several structures. On the one hand on the new structure of the sound control.

The distances have been implemented and further steps have been taken. Where previously only three distances were distinguished, there are now six. The closest distance is the "Close shot". This is, so to speak, the sound that mainly the player will hear. This is supported by the "closure" effects, which should mainly simulate mechanical noise.

WqCHVnY.jpg

Also within short range, effects such as the cartridge discharge are added. Or the noise for shots within buildings. From meter 0 on, so-called "reflectors" or "tails" are used over certain distances. These simulate the progress of the sound and give an indication of the environment in which a shooter is located.

All these sounds, adapted and characterized for each weapon, are supported by new filters and processors. New controllers control the process and the embedding of several shaders in smaller soundset groups allow for a profitable performance.

There will also be new systems and control options for the creation of vehicle effects. For example, it will be possible to supply different angles of vehicles with different sounds. A car from the front sounds brighter as the engine is at the front, while it sounds duller from behind, since there is the exhaust. There are also echos. A moving tank inside a city sounds different from the open field. All these controllers and filters will open up many new possibilities!

I hope I could make a small taste. We will also make some videos about the sound effects in due course. I would like to point out the depth and fundamental direction of Astfor Sounds.

I hope you stay tuned! Thanks for listening :)

Off-Topic to everyone involved or want to be involved:

Irrespective of leisure work and actual paid work, these effects will also have to be of a high quality.

And paid work may be the right keyword. Many consider working on larger projects as a way to earn money quickly. But in this project, it's less about buying assets, no! Because we want to create something from our own hands. These projects, which are unfortunately threatened with extinction, can not be seen as a source of money. These projects represent more of a jumping board. A jumping board into the real and paid world of game development.

Whenever someone delivers truly good and high-quality work, over a longer period of time, the chances of getting the jump into the business is much greater. And I know what I'm talking about. My jump succeeded
back in 2016. And the work that is created around a mod can only be highly recommended to everyone. Only when a project is attracted everyone will benefit. The project itself also! People need to know about this project, but it does not work with propaganda or advertising, no. It must be rumbling. The people have to want it! They need to want to use it. They need to recommend it. And once a project reaches a certain level of popularity, it'll be successful and everyone who has been part of it will profit. Trust me! 

I know, personally, the big old good days are over. The overwhelming events in and around the modding community are over. They died a little with ArmA2 and never really started again in ArmA3. Mods only got ported, quality work lost its passion, many of us "old timers" left the field, and the generation of DayZ took its place. But we can get those times back! We can still create quality work, and we can do something new and special. I'm not saying we can bring back old times, but at least we can get back our passion for real modding content.

I hope everyone is really blood and heart for this project. Otherwise it wont make sense to continue with journey with us...

If anyone feels interested, passionate and really have the abilities to support this team, please let us know and we would be really happy to get in contact with you!

Cheers!

-LordJarhead

• Like 15

Hello Gentlemen

I have uploaded a video about the new MG3 sound effects I did earlier this week. They show the different effects for interior and exterior effects.

More will come showing some distance sound effects. 

We would like to hear your feedback :)

Thank you very much and stay tuned!

LJ

• Like 12

They're very good. It's got right balance of punch and tinniness. Should be really satisfying to shoot. Can't wait to see whats in store for the other rifles.

• Like 5

Oh yes, this I like. You keep trucking along at your own pace! If it brings quality like this, the time is more than warranted.

• Like 2

Well, in Devbranch there are changes to physx of tracked vehicles (it finally come true!). Are you planing to release your tracked miracles? 

22 hours ago, Vasily.B said:

Well, in Devbranch there are changes to physx of tracked vehicles (it finally come true!). Are you planing to release your tracked miracles? 

When we get to them, absolutely. But they will not make it to Alpha release, unfortunately. They'll probably come with Bravo release. We have waaaay too much work ahead of us with not much manpower, so progress is painfully slow until we can grow our team.

• Like 1

I saw orlite helmets in old screens I believe when it was in development for Arma 2 , are those helmets still a thing?

Those were replaced by Viper's from Revision. Maybe the more "old school" helmets might be brought back with old kit. But right now our infantry division aspect of development has grinded to a halted lost cause. We'll see.

• Sad 4

UPDATE!

Yes, we are indeed alive. Progress is just slow due to not having more than 2 modelers on the team currently and real life just becoming an overwhelming focus for most of here on the team. But alas, progress is progress, and that is what counts the most! Things are moving along, and a lot of things have changed and evolved--both in terms of lore as well as equipment. I won't speak much of it just yet, but our little Nordic country will definitely see some interesting toys in its future. ;) I will say though that priorities switched up a bit and we're focusing more on the mid-2000's forward equipment and modernization, and after those are released and we can all relax and enjoy things, the plan then is to work backwards into the older kit. I know it might disappoint some folks and what they were expecting to see, but...I think once folks see what's lined up they'll enjoy it nonetheless. :)

Right anyways, time to show a little something-something to prove we're still not giving up:

izh0vUrl.png
uicNHCjl.png

Rd7Ao4vl.png

6LdT8RSl.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

To the ArmA 3 Community:

It is with the utmost and deepest regret as project lead and creator to announce the official closure of what has been known to the community for the past 5 years under the name of Project ASTFOR.

This project started back in ArmA 2 with the desire to have something of my own design to enjoy, since to be rather honest, I find all the "tacticool" Operator/SF stuff boring after awhile. I wanted something for myself that I could love and continue to for many years. It so happened that some good friends along the way felt the same and supported my desire and before I knew it, the first step forward towards making it a reality was started with good people like Robert Hammer and StalkerGB, turning it from casual idea/dream into an actual mod project. The first few years was quite the adventure, learning new things, trying to shake lose a clear vision of what I hoped for, meeting some great people in the ArmA 2 community, etc. But then like all good things—sometimes it comes at a price....

During the years of development, unfortunately there was a lot of bullying, false promises, people trying to force me into changing my vision for theirs, etc from people who have come and went that myself and my project have experienced and the past 2-3 years have been nothing short of depressing and exhausting to say the very least.

Many who have followed the development of my "baby" knows how much what we know as ASTFOR meant the world to me personally. It's always something that went far beyond just a dumb little mod for a dumb little video game. As someone who has had to sacrifice his entire world due to my disease (Muscular Dystrophy) and whose world is pretty isolated and alone, ASTFOR was one of the few things I could just escape all the bullshit and have something positive...but it is no longer that, and hasn't been that for me for the past 3 years.

The truth? It became yet one more thing in my life I felt ripped away and poisoned and strangled slowly over the past few years. I clung tight for my life onto it's proverbial ass like the most glorious booty imaginable, lol, hoping and thinking "hang in there, it'll work out.......someday". But year after year have gone by, and that someday never happened. Things just kept getting exponentially worse. And even now, we've ended up losing good people from my team due to real life needing priority and they just couldn't stay any longer. So I went from 3 modelers to 2 and now down to 1.

And I've lost count how many times I've practically begged on virtual hands and knees for help or posting if we can't get help by the end of the year we'd have to call it quits. I know that's happened at least 3 times already and nothing's changed other than the usual "1 like=1 prayer" type post likes. Good vibes are nice, but you can't sustain a project on good vibes and positive "keep your chin up and keep going!" posts. I wish, hah!

After a long time contemplating things, I can't help but feel the reality is that with the ArmA 3 community there is really not much focus on for a fictional Nordic mod. Most people are just more really into the whole aforementioned US Army/USMC/SF/Operators stuff or the bigger mod names out there. And fair enough. Not saying people are wrong or for liking such things at all. It just means at the end of the day, people are more inclined to offering help for those types of mods than something like Project ASTFOR, and the past 3-4 years is pretty proof of that.

I wish things turned out better, I truly do. I just don't have it in me to spend another 3+ years on ASTFOR in depression, waiting for a miracle or wasting time posting anymore uselessly posting a bunch of Help Wanted posts in our thread that go nowhere, etc. It's just not worth it anymore.....

Either way, it's been one hell of an adventure and one I will always appreciate having had and shared with others so they could see why I was so passionate about it.

-John F. Aka "Jobo"

Project ASTFOR

Creator | Project Lead

• Haha 1
  • Sad 25

Sad to see this happen. Always awesome to see people get creative with mods and their own ideas! I understand though!

• Thanks 2

I hate to see such a promising project come to a close, but by the article you posted I fully understand, I do wish you luck in future endeavors. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, yokhanan said:

It is with the utmost and deepest regret as project lead and creator to announce the official closure of what has been known to the community for the past 5 years under the name of Project ASTFOR.

Thanks for at least trying. I for one appreciate all the effort you and everyone else put into it.
I hope you find something to make you busy and happy! Just do what makes you happy.

Good luck to you, and stay strong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

this is a real shame, as cool as operaror shit is, I was really excited for a fleshed out, fictional regular army with a nordic flavor. I would have totally contributed but I just lack the skills and my contributions would be in vain. I guess what disappoints me most though is how apparently negative the experience became for you. I hate to be that guy, but whats going to happen with the existant assets? a lot of things like the galil, MG3, and the infantry gear was very exciting and I'd really hate to see that kind of labor of love go to waste. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I understand how you feel, man. I'm sorry things have come to this, and I'm grateful for the work you've done this far. Do you have any plans for assets? Admittedly I was really looking forward to this. :(

Nevertheless, best of luck with your future endeavors.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear that, I've been quietly following ASTFOR since its inception way back when. I tend to prefer things with an Armaverse flavour to the tacticool/realistic/contemporary US/Russia stuff that is very much the norm amongst the community, so very sad to see this mod go under.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am sorry to hear that you are forced to give this project up. However, I understand that you had to come to this conclusion.

Unfortunately, there too many people who forget that you guys do this as a hobby, besides having a real life with real responsibilites and real challenges. Also, some people just forget about basic respect while "asking" you guys for stuff,  or voicing concern.

Most importantly, the workload for you alone is just way too big and you are dealing with some serious health issues. If this just drags you down, then F**CK IT!

Thank you, for letting us see your talent and vision! I wish you all the best for your health and your personal life!

• Thanks 2