PTV-Jobo

Project ASTFOR - Astelandic Armed Forces

Reason; Scandinavia/Nordic theme. But lets not continue this, I got my answer :)

Excited for this mod to come out since it is the mod that give me the most hype. Would totally go online and search how to model in blender for A3 to give a hand out.

Yes, this subject has been tackled numerous times. The same could be argued in favor of HK416's, AK5's, Colt M4's and everything else that has been done to death or handled by other mods. No one has worked with such a concept as the Swedish FFV's for ArmA to my knowledge, and I felt it fit within my vision and seeing how there's real history there, it was a done deal. It's something that will not be changed. If anyone wants RK's or AK5's, or other countless rifles, they are free to do so on their own as well of course. But this fits my vision for Asteland. I'm not going for a copy and paste job that blends in with the Finnish Mod, NORAF, SAM, Swedish armed Forces mods, etc. ;)

I'll probably sticky the previous discussions about it because I'm kinda not wanting to have to have the exact same discussions numerous times, but kind of have to since the discussions about it are tucked a bit too deep in the thread atm and hard to find, hehe. 

• Like 6

Excited for this mod to come out since it is the mod that give me the most hype. Would totally go online and search how to model in blender for A3 to give a hand out.

You should- No time like the present and I am sure you could help out :)

• Like 4

Where is the download like for this mod?

Also are these two add-ons needed?  And what is the difference between them?

PIP Optics for Project ASTFOR
  1.  RHS
  2.  ACE

right so download isn't available. because we haven't released yet. The RHS and ACE thing is a poll about what style of scopes.

• Like 3

right so we have a question for you guys. So listen up!

we realized that the previous lore guy (notice i say 'previous' I.E not ME) hadn't actually pinned down an exact location for Asteland. He also has a habit of turning up for five mins every 6 months (Team leads words not mine). So yeah we were looking for a location for Asteland. And we were wondering how you guys would feel if we went to the armaverse (again note 'armaverse' implying not entirely factual) Iceland...and sorta pinched it. By this i mean take it from its location...change it slightly, move it a little...then claim it was Asteland. sorta 'what if Iceland had an army' sort of thing.

so what do you guys I.E the 'fans' think?

• Like 4

right so we have a question for you guys. So listen up!

we realized that the previous lore guy (notice i say 'previous' I.E not ME) hadn't actually pinned down an exact location for Asteland. He also has a habit of turning up for five mins every 6 months (Team leads words not mine). So yeah we were looking for a location for Asteland. And we were wondering how you guys would feel if we went to the armaverse (again note 'armaverse' implying not entirely factual) Iceland...and sorta pinched it. By this i mean take it from its location...change it slightly, move it a little...then claim it was Asteland. sorta 'what if Iceland had an army' sort of thing.

so what do you guys I.E the 'fans' think?

Sounds pretty good honestly!

• Like 4

Yeah I remember the days of the Green Sea Expansion Project, and how the community basically had a mixed real world/armaverse map of all the ArmA countries and islands. Unfortunately, there really was nothing for the Nordic regions, which makes the whole positioning a real pain in the ass to get right. No matter where you put it in the real life geographical map, it's going to interfere, unless we shrinked Asteland down to a tiny speck. So I figured, well I've not met any Icelandic ArmA players, so maybe there aren't any around to grab pitchforks and rifles to chase after us, lol. Maybe to the ol' look left then right, and cough while slightly bumping them out of the area and dropping Asteland in that rough vicinity. It might not be the perfect solution, but...it beats having Asteland practically up Norway's arse or shrinking us down to an outrageously tiny size to squeeze into some small gap between Norway and Denmark. In an ideal world I could discover some ancient medallion that could bestow god-like powers and increase the size of Earth so we can have more room for Asteland but.....not going to happen. :P

• Like 3

Since you're concerned about Icelandic Arma players how about dropping Asteland in between Iceland and Norway?

Reading the latest developments in these early morning hours spurred me to check out how the ocean currents go around the region and placing Asteland between Norway and Iceland and maybe a tad up north would give you quilt free reign over it and probably would not interfere with the currents that warm up the coast of Norway too bad and those same currents could give Asteland interesting and varying climate with warm currents from the south and cold currents from the north. 

There's probably oil there so $$ is at hand in modern days and in the olden times fishing and whaling would have provided wealth and whatnot. Tension between Russia/Nato can be felt since the tactical location etc etc and maybe with Norway with all that oil just lying around..

image002.jpg

Maybe around where the middle red arrow takes the turn.

• Like 7

Would Icelandic Arma players even care? I doubt the 200 strong Icelandic coastguard is particularly jingoistic.

Would Icelandic Arma players even care? I doubt the 200 strong Icelandic coastguard is particularly jingoistic.

Maybe not, but for me replacing a whole country like that feels somehow wrong..

Like when all vanilla Arma areas are fictional and don't actually replace anything, maybe its how I perceive the spirit of Armaverse.. 

The map on the first page is okay, I think?

I think they meant as in  a geographical location.

The map on the first page is okay, I think?

Im with you there, I like it too.

That is what got me thinking about if a large island there smack in the middle of the warm atlantic current would have effect on the surrounding areas.. Hence my suggestion to put it tad more up north.

For all I know it could have no effect whatsoever and well does it really matter anyway.. :D It can be written off by saying it doesn't affect anything.

All that said my vote goes for that general are between Iceland and Norway. It would not interfere with plate tectonics and if located little up north nearer to the plate edge could give nice natural explanation to any mountains they want to put up. Also now that I think of it, replacing Iceland would require to consider why Iceland is how it is. I mean the location between two tectonic plates, highly volcanic area and all that. It would restrict the the island design a lot if the team consider all the variables that come with whatever the location ends up being. (which judging by how detailed all the other lore is they would)

1280px-Plates_tect2_en.svg.png

Oh and at some point there was discussion on what kind of tourist attractions Asteland could have and im pretty sure they could rival Icelandic hotsprings for one. Couple of nice luxury resorts and viking ruins and some Astelandic native animals, like  the Astorian Great Redbeard, a breed of mountaingoats native to the island, known for its exquisite red wool huge horns and through vigorous govermental actions now preserved from near extinction..  :D :D

• Like 2

Well, it should be near to Norway, because of the history that the 'previous' guy wrote, Asteland was occupied by german forces in WW2, so it should be not that far away from Norway.

Iceland btw was occupied by the british, later american forces.

Just a suggestion, because the history of Asteland isn´t that worked out, to get the reason why/how the germans occupied it.

If Asteland was just in a slightly different place like Iceland, it could be a bit weird that germans made the whole way to invade Asteland, but didn´t invade Britain at all.

4Wd2z7X.jpg

• Like 1

actually that bit of history was written by me. and also we have already considered the location north of Norway, but it would potentially mean that asteland would be permanently covered in snow, which we don't want

• Like 2

Good stuff, Goat. See, that's the kind of reasons I was trying to reflect to my team but I couldn't remember the technicalities, haha. It's tricky, because where you place a nation, it has to also mesh well with things like you mentioned such as not interfering with plate tectonics, etc. It's looking like the one that makes most strategic sense as well as "scientific" in that we're not going to drop us near another country where it interferes with everything, as well as if we replace Iceland we'd end up restricted a lot with the visual side of Asteland because of it. 

See, this is why I love when we interact with the community--super helpful when we get stumped, and helps us look at things in ways we might not have considered! :)

(BTW--the image on the first page was merely a mockup done by our ex-lore guy. Asteland has since changed quite a bit and also that didnt add nor take into consideration Portmark at the time as well. Just incase if anyone wondered about it. At some point after Alpha phase workload is complete, the team will sit down and figure out the size and shape of the mainland with Portmark added and then update the map to also reflect the new location area as well. :) )

• Like 3

Well, it should be near to Norway, because of the history that the 'previous' guy wrote, Asteland was occupied by german forces in WW2, so it should be not that far away from Norway.

Iceland btw was occupied by the british, later american forces.

Just a suggestion, because the history of Asteland isn´t that worked out, to get the reason why/how the germans occupied it.

If Asteland was just in a slightly different place like Iceland, it could be a bit weird that germans made the whole way to invade Asteland, but didn´t invade Britain at all.

Maybe they blized there for the goats.. OR for the mystical viking relics ooor Hitler wanted a hot spring spa resort out in the sea.. Since in real history there is no Asteland things went as they did, but if Asteland was there, where ever it was, it does not matter what the reason was since its all fiction. Also invading little Asteland may have been slightly differen matter than invading the mighty Britain. Just saying it can all be written up with reasonable enough explanation.

actually that bit of history was written by me. and also we have already considered the location north of Norway, but it would potentially mean that asteland would be permanently covered in snow, which we don't want

While I have no clue how warm the Atlantic current could keep an island group up north, the science can be stretched to explain it. And it would not have to be much north imo, just a bit. Also were it too close to Norway I wonder why wouldn't it already have been part of Norway since the olden days.

Good stuff, Goat. See, that's the kind of reasons I was trying to reflect to my team but I couldn't remember the technicalities, haha. It's tricky, because where you place a nation, it has to also mesh well with things like you mentioned such as not interfering with plate tectonics, etc. It's looking like the one that makes most strategic sense as well as "scientific" in that we're not going to drop us near another country where it interferes with everything, as well as if we replace Iceland we'd end up restricted a lot with the visual side of Asteland because of it. 

See, this is why I love when we interact with the community--super helpful when we get stumped, and helps us look at things in ways we might not have considered! :)

(BTW--the image on the first page was merely a mockup done by our ex-lore guy. Asteland has since changed quite a bit and also that didnt add nor take into consideration Portmark at the time as well. Just incase if anyone wondered about it. At some point after Alpha phase workload is complete, the team will sit down and figure out the size and shape of the mainland with Portmark added and then update the map to also reflect the new location area as well. :) )

Sometimes an all night modding spree brings out bright(ish) ideas in the early morning hours. :D

• Like 1