PTV-Jobo

Project ASTFOR - Astelandic Armed Forces

Sweet!

Have you guys decided what helmet's you're going to use? I know most of the active-duty personel of the Norwegian Armed Forces use OpsCore Fasts. :D

I think MICHs are what I personally want to do. Not sure about the others.

Today on "Evan's Hilarious WIPs", I'm still weighting.

PPtaQrv.png

Sweet!

Have you guys decided what helmet's you're going to use? I know most of the active-duty personel of the Norwegian Armed Forces use OpsCore Fasts. :D

The plan originally was going to be possibly end up being OpsCore and the new Danish-used Tyr PICO plate carriers. But I'm trying really hard to not fall into the pool with everyone else making OpsCore's and stuff. And I might yank back a tiny bit on the modernization of Astoria a wee tiny bit as I don't want 2035 looking forces. I will say though that personally in terms of helmets of today, I'm more keen on the Batlskin Cobra than the OpsCore if I had to choose between the two for Astoria.

Hey. Might seem selfish, but as I'm seeing you guys use some Finnish military equipment like the Sako TRG, Jurmo and the Xa180, might I suggest the Finnish Composite helmet and its helmet cover? It would stand out from other helmets in my opinnion.

Might not be a bad option at all, Kristian! :)

You know you're a stalker when your first ever post on a forum is a good year after you joined, at least. And on a mod that will likely not be out for a while. >_>

So anyway, I just dropped by to offer a quick gesture of support to you all for this mod/addon/faction/thing and to ask a quick question. I had a gander at the camo patterns you guys were showing a few pages back and I liked what I saw there (p.s. Go Flecktarn. Digicam is so overrated). My question is how many variants of pattern and colour are you intending to create for the Astorian Forces, all while keeping to the central theme in the pattern? For instance, will there be a desert version of the camo? Or perhaps a localised variant of MultiCam, like the British MTP or Australian AMP? I eagerly await your reply.

I will return with my opinions and suggestions (Not that I expect you to listen) at a later time.

Edited by Dadsky
Apparently I'm really good at maths too. Stupid April.

Haha, well hey if our project brought enough interest to cause said stalker to finally post--awesome. :D

As far patterns and variants go--Yeah, more than likely whatever type is set, it'll be unified across the board. So you'll have a woodland colored version and of course a desert colored version (especially since I get into the whole Afghan-style scenarios personally, so I'll make sure we're sorted for storming the deserts near and far. ;).

As far as MC, that's completely off the table for me personally. I want to keep a bit of a unique look and not just blend in with the NATO soldiers with MC. I'm not a fan of Multicam, and weeped when I heard the Danes were giving up their Flecktarn in favor of using MC. I mean I get why, but even so, I just loved the look of their Flecktarn, especially the woodland one. While the world seems to be converting to Multicam and its variants, Astorian forces will not be jumping aboard the bandwagon. :p

I'm more leaning towards good ol' Fleck, but the problem is that with Digital--unlike Flecktarn--it's a bit easier creating the editable layered vectors for, especially ones that will repeat correctly. I don't think I've come across any really good and high-res Fleck patterns that are layered for easy editing each color group for. I had one like you saw in the samples I showed awhile ago, but even then the overall pattern isn't the best. If I can find one, then I'd probably declare Flecktarn the official winner. But for now, I can't take digital off the table. To be fair, the pattern I have now looks considerably better: http://i.imgur.com/ruirPRa.png

Still, don't worry as Flecktarn isn't off the table neither, just really in search of a good version that can be both edited color pallet-wise and will tile fairly well. :)

WIP Update:

Hey guys.

I've modeled some basic uniform stuff and John made some pictures so we have something to show you and keep you interested :)

Though, the models you are about so see are not final and have no textures yet. Keep that in mind please.

(Click in enlarge)

Thats the basic Uniform for Astfor Units:

Basic-Uniform-Model.jpg

We wanted to go with the MOLLE 111-25 Vest from Galvi-Linda:

big%5CMolle-111---25-Vest-Model.jpg

Then we'd combine that with the Outer-Garment-(POG)-Model:

big%5COuter-Garment-%28POG%29-Model.jpg

And with those basic boots that will be in black leather:

big%5CRandom-Leather-Boots-Model.jpg

And on the back we'd pack the Camelbag-Model which is this:

big%5CCamelbag-Model.jpg

And finally the harnish would look like this combined:

big%5CRandom-Harness-Model.jpg

And later on I'll post some pictures when the whole soldier model is combined with the stuff.

We actually try to stay on lower polygons and hope we'll get this stuff ingame soonish. Tho we would like to hear what you think about those models. Thanks alot for your time :)

LJ

Looks fantastic! Really exciting to see progress.

My only complaint would be that the uniform shirt does not have what I consider to be the requisite number of breast pockets. There should be two on any BDU shirt, large enough to hold a map or something of similar size. Unless it is one that is specifically designed to be worn under body armour to prevent chafing, for which the name escapes me right now. But right now the single, small pocket seems out of place on a combat uniform, making it look more like a set of overalls than anything else. A minor gripe, but one I still feel is relevant.

Everything else is stellar quality. Good job.

Also, prepare for helmet pics when I get home. I'm building the FH580 with plenty of variants.

My only complaint would be that the uniform shirt does not have what I consider to be the requisite number of breast pockets. There should be two on any BDU shirt, large enough to hold a map or something of similar size. Unless it is one that is specifically designed to be worn under body armour to prevent chafing, for which the name escapes me right now. But right now the single, small pocket seems out of place on a combat uniform, making it look more like a set of overalls than anything else. A minor gripe, but one I still feel is relevant.

Everything else is stellar quality. Good job.

Yeah, it's going to be textured to look like the under body armor-style combat shirt. Then you would have the body armor over that and then the Load Bearing Modular Lightweight Vest goes over that along with the combat diaper, etc.

I think we have plans for a conventional BDU, too, right?

I think we have plans for a conventional BDU, too, right?

Yeppers

Here's some WIPs with the FH580. I'm still fixing the clipping and then smoothing it out a bit more. I also have to mess with the straps a bit. I'm also trying to get it so that the NV harness doesn't clip around with it.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3281182222681352507/E70B22B0FA3B3EA7C090C94B189C136E44BC9798/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3281182222681358099/028E8E4B8442662C5D8DF1896391FF7BFDC00B47/

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3281182222681362831/626A4068C8CEB2E250196A1C2BCCFC7FEC074DEC/

Kind of a skimpy helmet, but I don't have any bling attached to it like comms gear or a NOD mount.

This is gonna be an awesome mod! I like how you guys want to have aunique army with it´s gear, camo vehicles and background and I also like that you want to create highly detailed vehicles!

Keep up the good work guys! Btw, my vote for the camo pattern would be the flecktarn! ;D

So, I was wondering, what do you guys think of the PLCE yoke in terms of looks for webbing? I think that it looks like a nice combination between western style gear and the old Russian chest rigs. Dunno, just my two cents

As far as camos go, I'd love to see something in the vein of the Swedish M90 camouflage. It looks cool, it works as camo, it's not too hard to create, and it fits within the context of ARMA 3 - it looks modern enough for the game's setting. And it's not the same MC that everyone goes for.

I too would love to see M90... but I'm biased :p

Yeah, M90 was one of the patterns I was experimenting with earlier. I even tried an M90 variant with Norwegian camo colors which looked pretty interesting as well. (Note: I sometimes just overlay the entire model with the texture just to test color tones, etc. So don't shoot me for not doing seams, etc. properly :p )

The only thing though is that it risks "blending" with other mods and loses a bit of its own identity in a way, if you know what I mean? The vehicles will have a similar pattern, but as far as infantry I'm slightly hesitant. Yet it would 1) look nice and 2) as you even said, quite manageable in creating the actual pattern compared to patterns out there like Flecktarn, etc. I'll definitely give it some more though. :)

Closed upon authors request.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Thank you Myke!

Right well, folks as you may have already heard via the JSRS thread one of our members had to step away to take care of some unfortunate real life things. We felt out of respect to temporarily lock the thread to regather ourselves, but are now back. So have no fear, we're not going anywhere. So feel free to post any comments or suggestions as usual once again.

I would also like to announce officially of the addition of AlphaCentauri to the Project ASTFOR team who will use his background and love of history to help us provide a proper establishment and history to Ã…steland/"Astoria" within the ArmAverse. Welcome aboard the crazy train!

Also, during our slight hiatus I learned a few interesting things, one of which I'd like to share. I know there was some concerns with our choice of the Galil for the standard issue rifle, some feeling the Galil being out of place in Nordic hands. However, I recently discovered the existence of the FFV 890C, which was basically a Galil modified by Sweden to operate in cold weather that was trialed back around the 80's. To quote one person:

"As a result of the loss of the trial, the FFV-890C faded from memory, and the company sold its patent to the finnish corporation SAKO-VALMET, unknown if the acquirer did used some of the "ideas" of the diagrams of the FFV-890C rifle to update in some way their weapons, but the SAKO rifles currently in use with the Finnish Armed Forces seem to be heavily borrowed from the design of the 890C."

So overall, I guess my decision to keep the Galil platform--in light of my learning about the existence of the FFV 890C--doesn't sound so crazy after all, heh.

Anyways guys, sorry if we scared anyone into thinking we were another fly-by-night failed project. Things just kinda happened and we had to just temporarily close up shop to regroup and deal with some things. But we're back, so onwards we go!