Sign in to follow this  
jgbtl292

streetnames

what do you think of street names on the map ?

often when playing multiplayer in hardcore mode. is hard to find the dudes - too few flashy houses or shops where one can orient oneself.

it all looks the same, many of the same houses.

Yes, and it might be a good idea for the team leader to place a few markers on the map at the start of the game like this, so that during the game people can say "head for E"....."rendezvous at H"......"I'm lost south of B"...... etc.

(noob note: double left-click on the map to place a marker and name it whatever you like such as "Massage parlour"...."Dole office"...."Rick's Bar Americano"....."Klingon High Council building"....."T.Rex prowling here" etc.

To delete a marker anytime, hover your cursor over it and hit 'Delete')

AA3-markers_zpsb2ca2d76.jpg~original

In Canada, all prairie towns follow a numbered grid --Avenues, East/West; Streets, North/South.

From a single intersection: 1st ave/at 1st street, the grid is quartered --NE, NW, SE, SW.

Any intersection can be found by counting from a single point --say, se corner of 6av & 4st NE.

Railway percision.

Yes, and it might be a good idea for the team leader to place a few markers on the map at the start of the game like this,http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/AA3-markers_zpsb2ca2d76.jpg~original

YEP, this is a very often overlooked step during the briefing time. Anyone who wants realism should be doing things such as this.

You mark operation reference points for your forces to work off of while in the AO. You don’t want to use universal names that everyone can see unless you have to. E.G. “Turn down Elm Street†(Now any enemy that might have heard you knows there’s going to be a convoy on Elm street soon and can relay that to his team.)

It’s for this reason that I say street names aren’t necessary…. They would be nice but only after everything else is taken care of.

On a side note…it doesn’t have to be street names… I pick certain houses with good observation areas and label them as OP (Observation Post), or likely/known avenues of approach. The only problem I have is turds who don’t understand the significance tend to delete them.

And smoke grenades are another way to mark your position-

Where are ya Bubba?.....

Ah'm right here on the pretty blue smoke Forrest...

I'm a-coming ter get yer Bubba!...

Thanks Forrest, shrimp kebobs, shrimp creole, pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, cave shrimp...

AA3-smok_zpseb9a1ec6.jpg~original

and at night you can drop one of them little light sticks which can be seen with the naked eyeball like this-

AA3light_zps34de467e.jpg~original

and also through NVG's like this-

AA3-light-nite_zpsfa4fd8d8.jpg~original

Hey guys, I want to do an exciting screenshot of riflemen shining kool laser beams around at night, but I've forgot how to make bots switch on their lasers, can anybody remind me?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Street names are a good idea.

Blue smoke however, not sure, could always paint a target on your head..:p

Well just like with everything else, the situation always dictates. It can be a chemlight, smoke, or even a flare. And it doesn't even matter what color it it is as long as you let everyone know what it means. I always see people getting so stuck on "Red means enemy!"

Hey guys, I want to do an exciting screenshot of riflemen shining kool laser beams around at night, but I've forgot how to make bots switch on their lasers, can anybody remind me?

{_x enableIRLasers true} foreach units group test

where "test" is the name of the group leader

yeIXxIr.jpg

Ha ha thanks, yes if somebody flashes his laser around we can find him for sure at night, including if he shines it straight up like the pic below..:)

(noob note- the beam is invisible unless you look through NVG's)

Hey JgBtl292 I hope you don't think we've hijacked your thread, it's just that you raised a good point about how to find locations and team members.

I want to test flares next but I can't find a flare pistol in any crates, anybody know where I can get one?

AA3-laser-up_zpse4a0db6f.jpg~original

Use of streetnames by military operators would detract from realism.

Gridpoints would be the first choice as they are unambiguous ("First Street or First Avenue? ","Kim Jong Il Dear Leader Boulevard, confirm, over."). To anyone and everyone who is unfamiliar with the area or even the country, gridpoints are the most direct way to communicate location. Also, for example, on Startis and Altis, the street signs would be in Greek. Fine if you can read Greek, but Greek is ... ummmm ... Greek to most people. Strategic locations with a lot of familiarity often have codenames or informal names, eg "Death Valley", "Thunder Road".

Use of streetnames by military operators would detract from realism.

Gridpoints would be the first choice as they are unambiguous ("First Street or First Avenue? ","Kim Jong Il Dear Leader Boulevard, confirm, over."). To anyone and everyone who is unfamiliar with the area or even the country, gridpoints are the most direct way to communicate location. Also, for example, on Startis and Altis, the street signs would be in Greek. Fine if you can read Greek, but Greek is ... ummmm ... Greek to most people. Strategic locations with a lot of familiarity often have codenames or informal names, eg "Death Valley", "Thunder Road".

Well that's the thing: 1 grid point defines quadrants --how basic is that? 1st@1av is the grid point.

That's why Canadians always know the shortest route to the bar. [whispers: it's a system]

I want to test flares next but I can't find a flare pistol in any crates, anybody know where I can get one?

Flares are 40mm, so use your UGL. No separate flare pistol.