Sign in to follow this  
Magirot

Getting a server to the Steam server browser?

I can't seem to get my locally hosted dedicated server to show up on the Steam side. Things I've tried so far:

1. Vanilla server settings
  2. Both default and development branches
  3. arma3server.exe in both the regular game folder and the separately dl'ed server
  4. With and without BattlEye
  5. Opening the default ports (2303, 8766, 27015, 27016, from here, here and here)
  6. Running completely without a firewall,

but no dice.

Currently it's not a problem as Gamespy works (in all cases it shows up fine there). It's the future that worries me a bit. Any ideas?

Couldn't find any earlier discussion with the search, sorry if there's already something on this.

if you use windows firewall please ensure that in the rule properties of arma3server.exe you go into advanced tab and enable "NAT traversal"

I gave the setting a quick try, but as I expected it didn't help. I'm not behind NAT, and I already tested with no firewalls (incl. Windows Firewall). :(

you trying view the server in the ingame server browser (using steam option) or via steam client server browser ?

cause it takes quite long time to load all servers in the ingame server list

faster way to check is the steam client one

Checking with the steam client proves the server is reporting to Steam.

issue then becomes trying to launch the game (with mods) by selecting the server in the steam client browser. It wont launch if the arma3 client exe is already running, meaning you cannot preselect the mods you want to run for that server.

Some of us still use desktop shortcuts tom manage our -mod params

So, although this lists the server, this is not as ideal as using the ingame browser.

Hopefully this will improve over the coming weeks as we get closer to the gamespy closure

I can't find it on the Steam client browser either. Same thing when we tried to find my friend's server.

For me, refreshing the Steam server browser seems to take take just as long as the game's own system, though, as in around 5 minutes.

if you use windows firewall please ensure that in the rule properties of arma3server.exe you go into advanced tab and enable "NAT traversal"

Do you mean "Edge Traversal" ?

Edge Traversal allows the computer to accept unsolicited inbound packets that have passed through an edge device such as a Network Address Transaltion (NAT) router or firewall.

also - i noticed that i cannot see my server if i am on the same LAN in the steam server browser (unless i switch to LAN tab) - although other people can see it fine. you might have someone else check for it.

Same problem for me with my testing server it doesn't show on steam only on gamespy

I launch server with this port in servers bat file :-

-port=2302

I then have this as the server.cfg

// Config file

steamPort = 2300;
steamQueryPort = 2301;

hostName = "BL1PLAND STUDIOS";
password = "NOTTELLINGYOU";
passwordAdmin = "NOTTELLINGYOU";
reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";
//logFile = "BL1PSERVER.LOG";
localClient[]={127.0.0.1}; 
motd[] = {};
motdInterval = 10;

maxPlayers = 20;
kickduplicate = 1;
verifySignatures = 2;
requiredSecureId = 2;

voteMissionPlayers = 3;
voteThreshold = 0.33;

disableVoN = 1;
vonCodecQuality = 10;
persistent = 1;
timeStampFormat = "short";
BattlEye = 1;

doubleIdDetected = "";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
onHackedData = "";
onDifferentData = "";
onUnsignedData = "";
regularCheck = "";

class Missions
{
class Mission_1
{
	template = "co20_[dR]_I_&_A_ACRE_HC_BL61_4_1.Altis";
	difficulty = "mercenary";
};
};

Any help would be appreciated I feel that when gamespy stops this is going to cause all sorts of problems for all sorts of people.

It would be nice if BIS gave us some more info on what we need to do to ensure that servers show up in the steam section of the ingame browser before gamespy stops altogether.

Edited by BL1P

to show up on steam a server has to:

1. be known to the steam master server

2. answer requests by all the steam clients

to check whether your server is known to the steam master you can visit

(replace EnterYourServerIpHere with the IP of your server)

(instead of EnterYourServerIpHere you can use EnterYourServerIpHere:steamQueryPort to filter for a specific steamQueryPort on that IP)

http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=EnterYourServerIpHere

you should get something like:

{
"response": {
	"success": true,
	"servers": [
		{
			"addr": "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:2301",
			"gmsindex": 65534,
			"appid": 107410,
			"gamedir": "Arma3",
			"region": -1,
			"secure": false,
			"lan": false,
			"gameport": 2302,
			"specport": 0
		}
	]

}
}

with multiple servers on the same ip you should get multiple servers in the response

make sure that inbounding udp traffic on the steamQueryPort (default is 27016 - or the one you've definded in the server.cfg) can reach your server

e.g. when sitting behind a NAT forward udp traffic on the steamQueryPort to your server

when behind a firewall allow in/outbounding udp traffic on the steamQueryPort

hey i get that output on this website for alle my server (arma3 and also my space engineers) server but i does not work ingame and in steam server list.

but why there are many dedicated servers with running steam list ?

edit: fixed with adding -ip=hostip parameter in startconfig.

only issue is that i cannot really search in steam client server browser (i cannonet search) server name parts. i need to enter the whole server name.

Edited by nightshift

I run a server from my home for testing I do not have a static IP would this be why steam browser doesn't work for me ?

Do you mean "Edge Traversal" ?

Edge Traversal allows the computer to accept unsolicited inbound packets that have passed through an edge device such as a Network Address Transaltion (NAT) router or firewall.

My server was listed on Steam but it was displaying it in a VERY high ping. I enabled edge traversal and then did this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947709 and now my server is showing a normal ping.

Hopefully the players will return now.

make sure that inbounding udp traffic on the steamQueryPort (default is 27016 - or the one you've definded in the server.cfg) can reach your server

e.g. when sitting behind a NAT forward udp traffic on the steamQueryPort to your server

when behind a firewall allow in/outbounding udp traffic on the steamQueryPort

You mean this needs to be set client side for them to be able to see some servers? My server has been down for 2 weeks until I found this thread :( Linux DS

You mean this needs to be set client side for them to be able to see some servers? My server has been down for 2 weeks until I found this thread :( Linux DS

no, that's server side, with the server behind a NAT or firewall the inbounding udp traffic on the steamQueryPort has to be forwarded/allowed

there can be problems on client side, too, but I think mostly the problem is that the servers aren't answering the clients' requests on the steamQueryPort

is it mandatory to install the server over steamcmd tool? i logged in over client steam on my root and downloaded arma3 like on my own computer and moved the arma 3 folder to another location and run it with .bat file....wrote already email to bistudio for better helm....our server is so f****ing impossible to find

that are the settings and sorry it should be no advertise.....( i put it in spoiler, moderators/developers feel free to remove, if its against the rules )

hostname: [GER] 100% RP Altis Life 3.1.3 Medics|Economy|Housing|PermGangs by keyboard-sm4shers.de

IP-Adress: 176.57.141.150 Port: 2302 ( but other ports same problem, too )

steamPort = 2300;

steamQueryPort = 2301;

Edited by wrongbottle

It takes 20 sec until the server appear in the browser since it is full up. Is there a way to make this faster? with gamespy it was ...20sec faster.

It takes 20 sec until the server appear in the browser since it is full up. Is there a way to make this faster? with gamespy it was ...20sec faster.

Unfortunately, Only if you get a job as a steam dev and do the work for them m8

It does seem to have improved a bit though, 20 seconds aint bad, it used to be a very long time

Hmm new problem: most of the members dont see the server in steam. I see him often because im conntected remote to it.

This works: api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/GetServersAtAddress/v0001?addr=XXXXX

But dont fix my problem that without reporting to gamespy this server is nearly invisible. :(

Edited by Numrollen

if you not running Arma 3 server via STEAMcmd (stable branch) then you doing it wrong ;)

also the way how do it is very simple

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server#Arma3server_steamcmd_example.cmd

it might be very simple, but it nonetheless doesnt work...at leats not for us.

What we managed to do is to get the server back online on the Gamespy Tab, but this will be history soon. I set up all the things mentioned in the link that you´ve provided above, Dwarden. It nonetheless does not work.

I waited 20 Minutes and it still does not show up.

Thats what I did:

- opened all needed ports from 2300 up to 27016

- enabled NAT traversal for all respective rules.

- set the ports as mentioned in the Biki link

- re downloaded all stuff via steamcmd to make sure I have the latest version installed on the root

all of this turns out to result in NOTHINGS!

any further advices?

This is our server.cfg file.

// STEAM

steamport			=8766;  //default 8766, needs to be unique if multiple serves on same box
steamqueryport        	=27016; //default 27016, needs to be unique if multiple servers on same box

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname        	= "[sIM] ArmA Sim - COOP";        // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password         	= "Password";            		// Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin         	= "Password";                		// Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP         	= "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com";            	// This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly
logFile            	= "arma3server.log";
verifySignatures     	= 0;
equalModRequired = 0;            		// kick if data/mods aren't equal
requiredSecureId = 2;            		// was used to define type of secureID

we are starting the server via batch file which looks like this

"arma3server.exe" -ip=OurRootServerIP -port=8766 "-config=arma3server_COOP_NEU.cfg" "-profiles=arma3server_COOP" "-name=COOP" -cpuCount=8 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=4096 "-mod=@cba_a3;@inidbi;@bcombat;@ASDG_JR;@A3MP;@CaribouFrontier;@massi;@CAF_AG1.5;@IanSky_Scope_Mod;"
exit
::

anyway to verify if you server is listed on STEAMWORKS master use the server browser in STEAMclient (menu View > Servers > in filter chose game Arma 3 and wait till all server loads)

1. did you open/forwarded the port 8766 too ?

but I see you totally messed you commandline, why is your -port == steamport ? that are two completely different ports -port= defines game port, steamport is for communication to master

change -port=8766 to -port=2302

change -exThreads=7 to -exThreads=1 , that's enough for server

anyway to verify if you server is listed on STEAMWORKS master use the server browser in STEAMclient (menu View > Servers > in filter chose game Arma 3 and wait till all server loads)

1. did you open/forwarded the port 8766 too ?

but I see you totally messed you commandline, why is your -port == steamport ? that are two completely different ports -port= defines game port, steamport is for communication to master

change -port=8766 to -port=2302

change -exThreads=7 to -exThreads=1 , that's enough for server

Hello Dwarden, at first thanks for your presence and support here.

Secondly, the port was just a test...I have changed it back to 2302 again already.

I will also change the exThreads to the mentioned value.

As I am in Nightshift at the moment and using my phone to reply here I'll check the server appearence

Tomorrow (German Time) and will report back as soon as I know more.

Statusreport...

I tried the mentioned things today morning when I came home from work.

- port was just a test and is already set to 2302

- -exThreads=7 was changed to -exThreads=1 (although I left them away now anyways for testing porposes)

- I created a shortcut from ArmA3Server.exe and added this into the targetline, instead of using the .Bat file

- NAT Traversal for respective incoming rules is enabled (outgoing cant be set at all)

These are the rules that we set so far for steam and ArmA3...are there any rules missing yet?

[b][color="#008000"]incoming rules:[/color][/b]
steam: 8766  (TCP and UDP) NAT enabled 
steamquery: 27015 - 27016 (TCP and UDP)  NAT enabled
ArmA3: 2300-2305   (TCP and UDP) NAT enabled[color="#808080"](these ports are just for one server, once we get it to work we would open further ports for further server)[/color]

[b][color="#008000"]outgoing  rules:[/color][/b]
steam: 8766  (TCP and UDP)
steamquery: 27015 - 27016 (TCP and UDP) 
ArmA3: 2300-2305   (TCP and UDP) 

C:\GAMES\A3_Dedi\a3_coop\arma3server.exe [b][color="#FF0000"]-ip=OurRootServerIP -port=2302 -config=arma3server_COOP_NEU.cfg -mod=@cba_a3;@ASC;@inidbi;@bcombat;@ASDG_JR;@A3MP;@CaribouFrontier;@massi;@CAF_AG1.5;@IanSky_Scope_Mod;[/color][/b]

but still no luck, the Server is not listed on STEAMWORKS master list....what the heck is the reason?

I double and tripple checked the port rules and made sure that we opened ports for outgoing AND incoming ports...no luck. I really dont know what else I can do in order to become this damn server visible on the steammaster.

EDIT:

Server is visible via api.steampowered.com link, but not in steammaster

"response": {
	"success": true,
	"servers": [
		{
			"addr": "OurRootserberIP:10522",
			"gmsindex": 65534,
			"appid": 107410,
			"gamedir": "Arma3",
			"region": -1,
			"secure": false,
			"lan": false,
			"gameport": 2314,
			"specport": 0
		},

]

}
}

Edited by MemphisBelle

We need a working solution. Arma3 wiki still work with gamespy reporting, useless. No solution worked for me to get it working for steam reporting. I dont want to use STEAMclient, no one is using this shit. Please someone help to find it ingame on the steam tab.

Edited by Numrollen