Sign in to follow this  
Falconeye

New to Arma 3 and FPS on PC, need your advices and opinion.

Here is a comparaison between the G13 and the Orbweaver. It seems G13 can have up to 8 keymaps.

I didn't think about modifying speed by keys, it is very annoying. Analog stick would help very much in this case. What is making me afraid about the G13 is its ergonomy, I don't know if it is producing a lot of pressure on carpal tunnelon the wrist and the second thing is tha tI don't know if joystick can be controlled easily since ba just have the side of the thumb on it and not the entire bottom of the thumb like with the Orbweaver, however, the Orb joystick is not analog.

We need some feedback from other people using the G13 and Orbweaver to compare them with Arma.

Infantry movement is not analog, so an analog stick won't make a difference there. However, if you bind an analog stick to movement, you get walking speed within the lower 50% of travel and running speed within the upper 50% of travel. I guess that could be seen as desirable, if you really insist on using a thumbstick for movement., in which case the G13 would be better than the Orbweaver's 4/8-way switch.

I didn't think about modifying speed by keys, it is very annoying.

WASD movement with speed/stance modifiers on Shift/Ctrl/Z/X/C is the standard layout for movement on PC games. Unless Arma 3 is going to be your only non-flight sim PC game, you might want to consider getting familiar with it.

Ergonomics are important. I use my keypad for work as well as gaming, so my hand is on it for up to 18 hours a day. I find the Belkin N52/Razer Nostromo to be the most comfortable, with the Orbweaver second. The G13 felt very uncomfortable to me, as did a few others I've checked out over the years. But everyone is different. Read the reviews, try before buying (if you can find a store with them in stock).

Thanks Harzach for your feedback and since you tried all 3 gamepad, I think I will go for the Orbweaver since the nostromo is not yet available. May be I will ask for your profile if you agree.

Last question about the joystick for Orbweaver, is it accurate and precise and is it not too small like some people said. I have some doubts about this joy like the space bar.

Since I only love simulations, I think I will just play with Arma until new simulations will come. ;-)

Last question about the joystick for Orbweaver, is it accurate and precise and is it not too small like some people said. I have some doubts about this joy like the space bar.

Think of it more as a 4-way/8-way hat switch than a joystick. Each direction has a very definite "click" that you can feel and hear (as do all of the buttons on the Orbweaver). The spacebar sits just below your thumb like the spacebar on a regular keyboard.

My profile would not likely be of use to you, as it is set up with commands for my preferred modset, but feel free to add me on Steam, and I'd be happy to help you get acclimated to Arma 3 on my private server.

Thanks harzach, I will add you as soon as I will purchase arma (next week end)

See you soon ;-)

I was ready for the orbweaver but I read a lot (especially) on Amazon about glue going out on the palm rest and some quality issues about it. On the other hand, some G13 users are using it since 4 years without issue.

I just hope the G13 will be erginomic and the joystick will be fine for movement. I will let you know.

Its good to do some research prior to buying, must say I never heard of problems for them, but I don't use one, so not sure. I know the Nostromo has a really good build quality and surprisingly so does the little 'CyberSnipa V2' and thats pretty cheaply priced, not good enough to fully use for this game though, not configurable enough.

When you have your new G13 it would be interesting to hear your views on it, peripherals are not discussed much on here, so any item review, is nice to read, especially from someone using it for this game series.

Its good to do some research prior to buying, must say I never heard of problems for them, but I don't use one, so not sure. I know the Nostromo has a really good build quality and surprisingly so does the little 'CyberSnipa V2' and thats pretty cheaply priced, not good enough to fully use for this game though, not configurable enough.

When you have your new G13 it would be interesting to hear your views on it, peripherals are not discussed much on here, so any item review, is nice to read, especially from someone using it for this game series.

With pleasure, as soon as I will purchase it and configure it I will write some words about it, unless I will choose the Orbweavera the end :) :) :) But I feel confident since having all hardware logitech will also be easier (keyboard G105, mouse G502 and G13)

On the Orbweaver: the entire thing has excellent material quality. Hard and matte with comfortable soft-touch surfaces. The only negative things about the build quality is that the cord isn’t braided and that the adjustable thumb module is a bit wiggly. The soft-touch surfaces attract dust but can easily be wiped after breathing on it.

The quality switches and clicky thumb buttons are also quite wonderful.

Overall it is swell but I had difficulties setting it up with any game. Too many buttons for most games and too few buttons for the keyboard heavy ones. The Nostromo felt a bit tighter to me and I’m not surprised there’s been a Nostromo-Orbweaver cross called the Tartarus.

The worst thing for me about the bindings was that I could never seem to find anything useful to bind the stick to so I would end up using it as four buttons instead. The stick is quite difficult to click in the right direction since it’s slanted.

Oh and there’s one big, big, big thing: the cost.

It costs close to the $200 standard cost of a full mechanical keyboard and one of those is superior in every way.

The G13 is considerably cheaper.

What advantage do things like the Nostromo and Orbweaver confer over a traditional keyboard? It seems to me that you still need a keyboard for typing, and the keys aren't arranged any more conveniently on the Orbweaver, so it's just one more thing you have sitting on your desk.

Are you just paying for the microstick on the side?

I own a G13 and i cant play without it... Only use keyboard FOR write text... All other functions i use comes from the mouse..

I use different profile/colors on every .

FOR the jostik i use it for view (havent trackir and doing some tests with low cost pojects)

What advantage do things like the Nostromo and Orbweaver confer over a traditional keyboard? It seems to me that you still need a keyboard for typing, and the keys aren't arranged any more conveniently on the Orbweaver, so it's just one more thing you have sitting on your desk.

Are you just paying for the microstick on the side?

They're mostly meant to be ergonomic I suppose... "what if keyboards didn't exist"?

But yeah, since you still need a keyboard for typing in mostly all situations... they're questionable.

I suppose a lot of the appeal is in the macros and having a bunch of extra keys that can be bound any way you want maybe?

What I saw in the Nostromo was quality, comfort, backlighting, macros and it was quite affordable.

It had superior functionality than the keyboard I was using at the time.

The Orbweaver has really sort of lost sight of this by upping the cost into full mech keyboard territory.

I sold mine quickly and now I'm happily using a K70 keyboard instead... wouldn't go back to keypad unless they did something my keyboard can't again such as putting an analog stick where WASD would be.

Is it true with the G13 joystick we can only move in just 4 directions with the joystick and not 8 directions like with a classical analogic stick ?

Is it true with the G13 joystick we can only move in just 4 directions with the joystick and not 8 directions like with a classical analogic stick ?

You can configure it to work as a mouse, a joystick or assign buttons to each of the 4 directions. Mouse and joystick are mostly analog but not as good as a mouse or a joystick. I use it as an analog joystick in conjunction with mouse/keyboard for flying helis/planes in Arma.

Here is a trace of the stick movement(click for bigger image).

qnVPHhFm.png

I prefer the G13 from my Belkin n52te (early version of Orbweaver), the only thing I miss is that with the n52te (and Orbweaver too) it was easier to blindly find the correct keys on the pad. With the G13 when I remove and reposition my hand I am sometimes not correctly aligned at the first try.

I prefer the G13 from my Belkin n52te (early version of Orbweaver which Razer rebranded as the Nostromo)...

As far as the "why" question goes, yeah - ergonomics, ability to assign/program keys are the main thing. I can't imagine anyone using one for the joystick, as a gamepad would be far more effective (I would imagine, anyway).

The Orb's palm rest pads can come loose, but I sealed the edges of mine with cyanoacrylate when I bought it and have had no issues. The thumb section is a tad wobbly, but you don't notice it at all when you are using it as it sits flat on your desktop.

A lot of info to consider here and in reviews, so make sure you get a solid picture of your options so you can buy with confidence. I know I never buy something unless it "feels" right to me.

For me its comfort, hand to the left and right, the mouse and the keypad are not on the main desk, keyboard’s are.

Edit: ....snip....

Edited by ChrisB

Hi,

So I decided to go with the G13and I bouhgt also Arma 3 today.

I just tried the Tartarus (Orbweaver's litte brother) but joystick button was too small. Hope I will not be disappointed bu the G13 and I hope I will find an easy way to configure all my devices : TrackIR, G13, rudder, Keyboard and mouse.

It just remains my keyboard and mouse to change. I am thinking about the Logitech G510s and a G502 mouse. I was thinking about the G700s but the battery life is too short.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

So I decided to go with the G13and I bouhgt also Arma 3 today.

I just tried the Tartarus (Orbweaver's litte brother) but joystick button was too small. Hope I will not be disappointed bu the G13 and I hope I will find an easy way to configure all my devices : TrackIR, G13, rudder, Keyboard and mouse.

It just remains my keyboard and mouse to change. I am thinking about the Logitech G510s and a G502 mouse. I was thinking about the G700s but the battery life is too short.

I thought G13 would be the best choice. It should be very versatile and if I remember correctly the small screen on it should be able to display for example flight data in flight sims, if set up correctly.

I believe the Orbweaver would also have been nice but it’s as expensive as a deluxe mech keyboard anyways.

Go with whatever floats your boat though. G502 looks nice, brand new from what I can tell (not even out yet in Sweden) and I love the G7-G8 button placement. I was considering buying a Mamba just to have some more clicks. It's a really useful placement for buttons.

I'm not a fan of Logitechs keyboards, big hunks of plastic but oh well. Many macro buttons should come in very handy in simulators.

Oh and I see that you have the Thrustmaster Warthog! That's badass. I first heard about it a few days ago and I'm no big flight sim fan but that thing makes me wet... searching for one cheaply.

Thrustmaster Warthog ... searching for one cheaply.

Good luck! It's an investment, and service can be expensive.

Hi,

...snip...Hope I will not be disappointed bu the G13 and I hope I will find an easy way to configure all my devices : TrackIR, G13, rudder, Keyboard and mouse.

You will only be disappointed if you can’t handle frustration. Get that behind you and it will fall into place. The setup you have will be nice to game with, I wish you well with it. Don't forget, it all takes time to setup, get some relaxation music on..:D

_

Mechanical keyboards, I’ve lost count of the amounts I threw away (office wise, in the past), we were glad to get the quieter membrane ‘plastic’;) ones. My wife would shoot me dead now, if I made all that noise whilst gaming, middle of the night :butbut:.

Mechanical keyboards, I’ve lost count of the amounts I threw away (office wise, in the past), we were glad to get the quieter membrane ‘plastic’ ones. My wife would shoot me dead now, if I made all that noise whilst gaming, middle of the night .

remove keys and make a small foam-position under it, keys again inserting - its a nice noise killer ;)

You will only be disappointed if you can’t handle frustration. Get that behind you and it will fall into place. The setup you have will be nice to game with, I wish you well with it. Don't forget, it all takes time to setup, get some relaxation music on..:D

_

Mechanical keyboards, I’ve lost count of the amounts I threw away (office wise, in the past), we were glad to get the quieter membrane ‘plastic’;) ones. My wife would shoot me dead now, if I made all that noise whilst gaming, middle of the night :butbut:.

If I was worried about noise I'd buy a Microsoft... Sway? Swag? Swirl? Curve? Bend? What's the damn name again...

Anyways it's a scissor switch keyboard that's amazing for typing quickly and it's very silent too.

Only issue is that I believe the new version of the keyboard requires holding down some button to use the F-keys... clicking the F-keys without holding them does useless Win 8 things like searching and stuff.

Sculpt was the name.

Oh and I see that you have the Thrustmaster Warthog! That's badass. I first heard about it a few days ago and I'm no big flight sim fan but that thing makes me wet... searching for one cheaply.

Yes, I have the Warthog and it is fantastic, the best HOTAS I have ever had. I am using it for Falcon BMS and also for Xplane 10 and it is very accurate. I had the chance to find it at 199 Euros in France 2 years ago (it seems it was a mistake from the shop). Sometimes, you can find it at a little more than 200 Euros on Amazon for example when it is on sale.

You will not regret your choice, it is very durable and axis have no constraint (optic sensors) like the Cougar Hotas. Target software is very easy to use and very customizable.

About my hardware, I don't received yet my G13 (may be on friday). I am ow thinking about mouse and I am thinking more about the Logitech 700s than G502 because it has more buttons and is very ergonomic.

Do you have some feedbacks about the G700s ? I read the battery is just lasting 2 days and it can be annoying. Second point, since it is wireless will we have input lag ? However I am just coming to FPS on PC with old reflex so not comparaison with hardcore gamers.

What are your point of view about this mouse and its autonomy ?

Thanks again and hope to see you soon on the Battelfield (if I can find a newbie company :) )

Do you have some feedbacks about the G700s ? I read the battery is just lasting 2 days and it can be annoying. Second point, since it is wireless will we have input lag ? However I am just coming to FPS on PC with old reflex so not comparaison with hardcore gamers.

What are your point of view about this mouse and its autonomy ?

I had 2 G700(not G700s) and it will last for less than 10 hours(think around 8) if I was playing all day (12 hour continuous play), you will have to plug it every day to avoid an empty battery. Both lasted around 1 year each before developing microswitch problems in the primary button but in their defense they both had drops from my desk. I have now the G602 that lasts around 2+ months with a pair of batteries but it too started having problems with the scroll button microswitch. I haven't experienced any problems with lag.

No performance issues with my G700S. Is input lag even a concern these days? I love the button layout and build quality - easily the best mouse I have ever owned, and I have gone through a lot of them. As far as battery life, I have no idea as I just keep mine plugged in.