Sign in to follow this  
PVT Watt.J

RWCO: Rotor Wing Combat Overhaul

ALPHA RELEASE 3

DOWNLOAD

Overview:

This mod is intended to bring some much needed enhanced gameplay and realism to the helicopters of Arma 3.

Announcement:

I'm looking for participate in RWCO who has experience with GUIs and PiP in Arma. There is a lot in this area that I would like to implement (Proper HMD, usefully MFDs, GUI for entering laser codes) and I have my hands tied up with the rest of the mod.

LICENSE:

I release this under the Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)

APL-SA.png.

Special thanks:

Franze

Nodunit

Konyo

Aplion

Olds

Niipaa

Neptune

What's In Alpha 3?:

RAH-66 Comanche:

-20mm Cannon

-DAGR (SALH), 12x HE, 12x HEAT

-Brimstone (Dual-mode SALH+Radar), 4xHEAT

-Laser designator

RAH-66 Comanche (AA):

-20mm Cannon

-DAGR (SALH), 12x HE, 12x HEAT

-4x ASRAAM

-Laser designator

KA-48 Kajman:

-30mm Cannon

-Skyfire rockets (unguided)

-Skalpel ATGM (SCALOS w/ automatic tracking, can engage helicopters with limited effectiveness), 8xHEAT

AH-64 (Requires A2 Helicopter Import by Aplion):

-30mm Cannon

-Hydra 70 rockets (unguided)

-AGM-114L Hellfire (Radar), 4xHEAT

-AGM-114K Hellfire (SALH), 4xHE/Thermobaric

AH-1Z Viper(Requires A2 Helicopter Import by Aplion):

-20mm Cannon

-Hydra 70 rockets (unguided)

-AGM-114K Hellfire (SALH), 8xHE/Thermobaric

-2x Sidewinder

New Guidance Systems Explained:

How SALH Weapons work:

-4 Modes: LOBL, LOAL-DIR, LOAL-LO, LOAL-HI

-LOBL: Lase target before launching and lock onto laser using BI lock-on system. Fire weapon and it will guide to target. Suitable for targets >600m.

-LOAL-DIR: Fire weapon and lase target soon after launch (no lock-on required). Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >800m.

-LOAL-LO: Fire weapon and lase target soon after launch (no lock-on required). Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >1.5km. Will clear a 100m obstruction with 600m standoff distance.

-LOAL-HI: Fire weapon and lase target soon after launch (no lock-on required). Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >2.5km. Will clear a 300m obstruction with 1500m standoff distance.

How millimeter wave radar Weapons work:

-4 Modes: LOBL, LOAL-DIR, LOAL-LO, LOAL-HI

-LOBL: Lock onto target or point at target before launching using BI lock-on system. Fire weapon and it will guide to target. Suitable for targets >600m.

-LOAL-DIR: Fire weapon and lock onto/point at target soon after launch. Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >800m.

-LOAL-LO: Fire weapon and lock onto/point at target soon after launch. Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >1.5km. Will clear a 100m obstruction with 600m standoff distance.

-LOAL-HI: Fire weapon and lock onto/point at target soon after launch. Weapon will attempt to acquire laser and guide to target. Suitable for targets >2.5km. Will clear a 300m obstruction with 1500m standoff distance.'

How placeholder system for SALH Remote guidance works:

-Have one Apache/Viper/Comanche lase a target and hit "broadcast laser" action.

-Have a second Apache/Viper/Comanche select "remote" action and fire a SALH Hellfire in LOAL mode in direction of laser target.

*Note: This is a simple proof-of concept system. It only works with one laser target being used at a time. Ultimately this feature will work with many lasers at a time using laser codes.

How SCALOS weapons work:

-Lock onto target using BI lock-on system. Fire missile and it will guide to target.

-Missile will miss target if lock-on is lost or target become obstructed by another object or terrain.

-Aircraft may be targeted, but a hit is extremely unlikely on fast-moving targets.

Planned Features:

Enhanced Laser Designation:

rsz_1329255888857.jpg

-Laser designators added to all gunships.

-Laser guided weapons will only lock-on to lasers (I'm looking at you, DAGR).

-Remote designation via laser code system.

Enhanced Radar Detection:

rsz_britapachelongbowradar.jpg

-Radar detection will be handled using custom scripts

-Terrain and objects will block radar detection, detection can only be had with LOS

-Probability of detection will depend on size of object

-Probability of detection will depend on stealth technology

-Probability of detection will depend on animation states (weapon bay door on Comanche will influence detection)

-For heliborne radar, stationary ground targets will be extremely difficult to detect.

-Location of radar emitter will vary from vehicle to vehicle (e.g. Apache will be able to detect targets if mast-mounted radar has LOS)

-Directionality of radar will be modeled (i.e. some radar systems only detect objects in front of aircraft).

Advanced Missile Guidance:

rsz_hellfire_trajectory1.gif

-Different missile types (SALH, MM Wave Radar, SACLOS) will behave differently

-Advanced trajectories for missiles which support them.

Improved AA Threats:

rsz_land_tunguska_m1_lg.jpg

-RPGs edited to fire at helicopters.

-AA vehicles will detect and engage player at higher ranges.

Change Log:

v1: Initial Alpha release

v2: Renamed Blackfoot to Comanche, Restored missing ASRAAM on Commanche AA, Added Brimstone missile for Commanche, Added ability to zero guns via laser rangefinder for Apache/Comanche/Viper, fixed SACLOS guidance on Skalpel ATGM to reflect automatic tracking, rebalanced AI dispersion on 30mm gun of Kajman, Added distinct LOBL/LOAL-LO/LOAL-HI/LOAL-DIR trajectories to DAGR/Hellfire/Brimstone.

v3: Complete rewrite of missile guidance code. Proof of concept system for remote laser designation (Apache/Comanche/Viper can 'broadcast' laser and a second Apache/Comanche/Viper may fire at this target without needing LoS). DAGR renamed to APKS since this more closely resembles in-game weapon. Hellfire N replaced by Hellfire K to balance Viper (temporary until all hellfire variants are in). Fixed typo in Comanche displayname.

Edited by Shadow_MSOG

Seems like we need adjust in laser designator,

Not sure it's same as flying position

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249697546

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249697522

and don't know why i have to hit R not T to lock on target even i bind lock on target with T

Edited by kgino1045

Very nice changes! But this seems to favor people with better hardware, as you can only lase targets that are in your view range.

Why would you be able to lase targets you cannot see ?

You'll have to get closer ;)

Why would you be able to lase targets you cannot see ?

You'll have to get closer ;)

Sure but some players on my dedi have very low hardware specs and cannot handle objectdistances above 750 metres. Nevertheles im definetly gonna use it, at least in SP :)

Edited by gabberxxl

Seems like we need adjust in laser designator,

Not sure it's same as flying position

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249697546

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=249697522

and don't know why i have to hit R not T to lock on target even i bind lock on target with T

Very nice changes! But this seems to favor people with better hardware, as you can only lase targets that are in your view range.

Don't worry, remote laser designation will help a bit with that. HINT: Try playing on Takistan from @A3MP, it tends to boost frames by 15.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hey man thank you for this very useful addon , do you think about adding this system to the AH1 from the Helicopters addon? And maybe you could implement this system to the tanks in the game, that will be really awesome and very useful.

Hey man thank you for this very useful addon , do you think about adding this system to the AH1 from the Helicopters addon? And maybe you could implement this system to the tanks in the game, that will be really awesome and very useful.

Hi Ronxs. To answer your questions

1. I do plan on adding compatibility for the AH1, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2. Can you be more specific about what you mean by implementing this for tanks?

New mod v0.1 alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@rwco.png

@ Shadow_MSOG;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

New mod v0.1 alpha available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

http://img-cdn.withsix.com/mods/rv/@rwco.png

@ Shadow_MSOG;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

Thanks Sonsalt!

For the purpose of PWS, I think the best thing to do would be to have two mods listed:

-RWCO Core

-RWCO HAFM (see the optional PBO, requires HAFM A2 Helicopters + RWCO Core)

Can you do this? Is there an easy way I can do this?

Thanks,

Shadow

Hi Ronxs. To answer your questions

1. I do plan on adding compatibility for the AH1, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

2. Can you be more specific about what you mean by implementing this for tanks?

If you are familiar with ACE there is a LASE system that giving the gunner of the tank the option to shoot directly where he is aiming without zeroing.

If you are familiar with ACE there is a LASE system that giving the gunner of the tank the option to shoot directly where he is aiming without zeroing.

This is already partially implemented by bohemia. You can "Lock" onto enemy vehicles and when you do so, the zeroing is set to "Auto". I suppose adding a laser designator would be very useful because you could then use auto ranging on anything (infantry, buildings, terrain, etc...).

Making changes to armored vehicles is a bit outside of my area. Perhaps Olds @Real Armor Mod would be interested in doing that? That's probably more up his alley.

So... you are not going to fix that laser? did you check my screen shot D: it completely miss pointing

So... you are not going to fix that laser? did you check my screen shot D: it completely miss pointing

It is a known issue. I plan to fix it. I'm guessing that it is due to the optic being by default zeroed for the gun.

Okay, I have a request that should work specifically with this mod of yours. Is there a way, especially now that we have render-to-texture, for maybe the right "eye" (probably the right half of the screen) to have the view from the TADS/PNVS, while still having the left "eye" seeing as normal? This would be accurate for working with apaches and cobras as well as probably any other dedicated attack helicopters with similar systems. In the Apache, the pilot actually has primary control of the M230, since he is responsible for aircraft safety, with the gunner working all the other systems, specifically laser designation dependent weapons and now, with the block III apache, UAVs.

This would be particularly badass for the guys with TrackIRs or even Oculus Rifts, but would work for traditional setups as well.

It's also the reason Apache pilots in reality have the ability (after years of experience) to look at and focus on two separate things even outside of the cockpit. It's kind of unnerving.

Is there a way, especially now that we have render-to-texture, for maybe the right "eye" (probably the right half of the screen) to have the view from the TADS/PNVS, while still having the left "eye" seeing as normal?

I am researching many options for realistically modelling sensors on the Apache including PNVS/TADS+HMD as well as the Longbow FCR (which I've read is lousy at detecting stationary vehicles). So, yes, but it is purely in the research stage at this point.

Missiles "Vikhr" no need manual control. Sighting system independently induces the laser at the target, and keeps this target. Sighting system also automatically searches for similar targets. This applies to the cannons, you just need to specify a target and press fire. On the Mi-28 and Ka-52 uses "Ataka-VN".

Missiles "Vikhr" no need manual control. Sighting system independently induces the laser at the target, and keeps this target. Sighting system also automatically searches for similar targets. This applies to the cannons, you just need to specify a target and press fire. On the Mi-28 and Ka-52 uses "Ataka-VN".

Thanks for clarification, I will look into how I can implement this better. In terms of slaving guns to targets, there is work to be done there for all helicopters.

Nice mod, but I am curious as to what your reasoning is for removing the "no-lock" functionality of the DAGR. I haven't seen anything that specifically remarked on whether the real-life system would have the functionality or not, but as far as "future" tech goes, it's not improbable.

Nice mod, but I am curious as to what your reasoning is for removing the "no-lock" functionality of the DAGR. I haven't seen anything that specifically remarked on whether the real-life system would have the functionality or not, but as far as "future" tech goes, it's not improbable.

I have seen written that DAGR is SALH. Wikipedia does claim this. So I am simply basing this DAGR on the planned version.

The DAGR is most certainly SALH (its simply a seeker and control kit bolted onto a 2.75inch Rocket). They should be able to reliably destroy an APC type target in a single hit, but tanks would be fairly immune to them. If you are going to nerf the warhead against heavy armour, can you at least have the option replace the ASRAAMs on the Blackfoot with some kind of Hellfire?

The DAGR is most certainly SALH (its simply a seeker and control kit bolted onto a 2.75inch Rocket). They should be able to reliably destroy an APC type target in a single hit, but tanks would be fairly immune to them. If you are going to nerf the warhead against heavy armour, can you at least have the option replace the ASRAAMs on the Blackfoot with some kind of Hellfire?

Yes, this is something I am looking at.