Sign in to follow this  
Demongornot

MAJOR ISSUE key binding and windowed mode.

Hi, today the new update for the standard branch of the game which include Mars Expedition One is out.

And then before playing i was of course forced to passing through the options to see changes and of course map my keyboard for the Human controls.

And then i was REALLY disappointed to face this old issue that was not yet fixed :

I try to map W A S D for basic movement of the human, like i have do for the vehicle control, and guess what ?

Yes you guess well !

Instead of be able to map i get the following message :

Key in use, The key W is used for another action (Primary Forward/Turn Up), do you wish to remap it ?

THIS IS STUPID !

Not only cause we should be able to map two time this key (cause after all we won't control rover and human in the same time, and cause every other game in the planed allow vehicle and character control with same keys, including Arma), but also cause of two possible answer :

YES - NO

If i press YES it just DON'T remap it at all, it just close the key binding windows without remap it AT ALL

If i press NO it just ask me for using another key.

Don't you see yet the issue ?

Their is NO way for delete mapped key in use somewhere else, even if i would want to delete mapped key from my rover, the ONLY way to do it is by affecting random key that i don't use on my keyboard, like ctrl + 8 for example to set free the key i want, no button for "clear" or "maintain escape to delete".

It should be the first thing in your todo list since a while...

It still yet have NO way to use my Logitech G13's joystick in this game.

Without decent/usable keyboard/controllers control this game can't be played, this is a MAJOR issue and it still not fixed yet.

Damn it, on Arma we have one of the best device support ever (except the curves, deadzone and others aspect of axis that is really badly handled and a pain to setting, and its worst in Arma 3) it can even detect hot plugged joystick, its the only game i know that can permit to map and use a joystick that we just plug in the middle of the game without need to restart it.

And here, we can't even delete a key or use a basic axis from a basic Logitech G13's joystick...

I was hopping that now that we NEED, yes NEED to use two time the same key for two things, we will get a slightly better key mapping system.

This need URGENT review, i think you should put it over EVERY other bug/issue/feature in the todo list of things that you need to fix/improve/add, without controls, their is no game...

Its like creating a Aircraft simulator and don't make any joystick support, and in fact its exactly that, even X Rebirth have better control support now...

Another bug report :

The option "Invert Aircraft Vertical Control" still don't work, when setting it to "YES" it always automatically back to "NO"

And another IMPORTANT issue :

While playing in windowed mode i get HORRIBLY BAD performances, in full screen i'm easily getting over 60 FPS (stuck to 60 cause of my 60Hz screen) and its fluid, totally maxed out graphic settings in 1920x1080 and Vsync enabled.

When using windowed mode, with or without Vsync i don't get over 30 FPS, even while reducing graphics settings, its HORRIBLY laggy, the mouse its impossible to control, click on the interface its a pain, it look like we need to steer the whole mass of Mars while moving the mouse cursor.

Their is NO borderless screen mode, and you will ONLY agree that regarding the nature of the game that this is easily a game that we play for fun and relaxation, this is not a game that have action and where we need to total focus and immersion inside it, we need a huge amount of time to get from point A to point B or doing a basic action, and this is totally NORMAL to do something else while playing this game, so borderless windowed mode AND descent performance in windowed is required of course.

But now since the update the "Never Freeze on alt + Tab" option don't work at all.

I play for both find bugs/give suggestions and...Playing, i actually have 74h in this game.

I don't know what is your roadmap for the final version of the game, but all this issue, that should even for a early access game should already be fixed since a while CAN'T be found in the final version...

I hope you will fix this major issue soon as possible.

Edit :

In fact the joystick issue is not only with the Logitech G13 which is not supported, after plug my X52 Pro and the Throttle of my Warthog HOTAS, i just figured out that the game simply don't handle any joystick at all...

Edited by Demongornot

Hey Demon

it looks like the key configs are conflicting with each other they can differentiate themselves between the forward movement for the rover and the forward movement of the walk. When u try to remap it as i tried myself it does the same thing. When i tried to remap it (say the W Key) for the rover, it saw that the key had been mapped with the forward walk key, so it sees the conflict and wont remap to what you are imputing. it will be an issue they have to work out and may take some time.

As to your graphics in windowed mode, it maybe that your graphics card can not handle the windowed mode, when i tried it on my system i do not get a drop in framerate at all and i have everything set to max but im also running 2 gtx 660 sc in SLI mode so that may be why you may want to play with your settings, try lowering your settings a a bit and see if it changes. You also have to keep in mind that the game is still in Alpha and the game may not be optimized for graphics yet so their may be issues for a while in this respect. graphics optimization is usually the last thing u do in an alpha build, just something to keep in mind.

I don't know if its a key conflict or not, but it still that the game have a urgent need of way more improved system for keys configs, including joystick, delete key and others stuff.

This issue occur since a while, i have buy the this game almost the day when the preorder have begin, and when it was release the first time i have try it and simply stop playing it cause the key issue are horrible.

Since, i have reinstalled my OS (Windows 7 x64) and i have also reinstall another time the game (trying to deal with a issue with Steam)

It mean 3 total download and install of the game since its very first time and i have always get this issue, and my hardware have change since.

If you don't get the issue and i do, it still that the game have an issue somewhere.

Also i have a MSI HD 7970 Lightning BE (1150 mhz gpu and 1500 memory) which can easily fight against R9 290x stock without OC.

My drivers are updated with the lastest Beta version 14.3, and this issue occur since a while, and before this i just got the final version (change for test Mantle).

My PC is = I7 3770k, MSI Z77A GD64, 16Go DDR3 1600 Cas7 Corsair Vengeance, 7970 Lightning BE, SSD for windows and fast HDD for games.

My computer is for sure not the issue.

I know that this is an alpha, and in fact i do the same level of bug testing than just playing, the optimization bug is comprehensible, bug the controller issue with its leak of feature its a bad thing even of an alpha.

Testing joystick and various controller support if its not done at the very first, it will quickly drive to issue almost impossible to fix on the final without start again from scratch.

Joystick and others axis and button based controller permit both to test animation fluidity and various speed compatibility of things (like 6 wheels controls) that are not available with mouse only.

Bug even if i can understand that it need some time to be implemented for the joystick and other controllers, the actual key assignment system need a serious review...

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem, and I'm not clear as to why you are trying to remap the keys in the first place.

But if you want i have found the location of the key bind file where all the keys are listed. you will have to start the Take on Mars loader and perform a extract game data to a folder that you specify. Once you have done this open the folder that you just extracted everything to and then open the scripts folder in that folder is a file called Keys.h that will be the list of key binds you can manually bind the keys from this file. But i would save a version of the file unaltered so that if something happens that you can restore the default file. also in this folder is the controller config but i would not mess with it unless u know how to work it. (always save a backups of the files you are going to alter) I hope maybe that will help you some.

Well, i try for both cause i'm not using standard keyboard, i use my Logitech G13, and to avoid issue with the hazardous and badly working multi profile system of Logitech, i use a single one, which mean i have to fit all my game with only 3 "configs" (mode) for my G13, i hate to play with keyboard.

And also i use AZERTY and not QWERTY keyboard, and anyway i have never like the default key in any game, i play in my own way.

Here is my video of this issue :

And thanks for the info but this is not the keys bind apparently, this is i think the file that give to the game ID from keyboard keys, its just some hexadecimal addresses for each touch.

I have archive the whole folder in a .rar

But i don't think that anything inside this folder can have any impact on the game itself, its just a way to have access to source codes for find errors and make ourself modifications, but the real game stay installed at its original place.

But thanks !

well, as i was just looking at it, i just realized that you would have to pack the file back into the original format or made into an addon type setup. That had slipped my mind when i was writing to you before. I am currently trying to figure out how that can be accomplished. I will get back to you on it, Or if a Dev could please respond to this and help us re-compress or make the keybind file a add on for the game. I will keep looking into it and contact you as soon as i am able to!

Thanks, i have PM you anyway, but i wait for the Dev to answer about what can be possibly wrong with key binding system, how the game store user data about keys and where its stored.

Hello all,

I've just bought the game and it would appear that remapping the keys is still not possible.

This is pretty much a game breaker for myself as I'm a 4 arrow key user and left hand mouse man.

I've been praising the key bind system used by other BI games for many years and I'm aware that this game does not use the same engine as ArmA and/or DayZ.

Is there any news or a work around on this issue.

Thank you.

Hello there

Im also having these difficulties.

I realise the initial thread is a little old , but for me it's also a bit of a game breaker.

Rgds

LoK

Hi guys,

Keybinding as well as handling of input devices such as joysticks, wheels, pedals, and so on is being written literally right now.

I expect it to be in a main branch build within two or three weeks.

Cheers guys.

Hi guys,

Keybinding as well as handling of input devices such as joysticks, wheels, pedals, and so on is being written literally right now.

Cheers guys.

Hello there

Good stuff, the game has certainly has come on in leaps and bounds since it's humble beginnings, can wait to remap and play :)

Rgds

LoK

Hi guys,

Cheers guys.

Thank you very much, I am certain there are many that are waiting for this to be resolved.
Have some  :)

If the helo and UAV could have separate mappings as well that would be great, as what works for one isn't great for the other.

Dram would this include the collective mapping issue for helicopters?

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23060

If the helo and UAV could have separate mappings as well that would be great, as what works for one isn't great for the other.

Hey guys,

The engine used by Take On Mars is very different to the engine used for Take On Helicopters and ArmA 3, so there is no compatibility between them. Hence the improvements and fixes being implemented into Take On Mars are not directly usable by the other two titles.

To clarify, we have 2 in-house written engines - Real Virtuality and Enforce. RV was what the company started with, and Enforce became a part of the arsenal after acquiring Black Element Software. These two engines are being merged into one to create Enfusion, the engine the studio will use for years to come.

Doh! I blame Tapatalk, didn't realise this was a ToM thread, just saw it was about keybindings :-)