genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Hey y'all.

I'm starting work on Vcom AI again and will be making Youtube videos of the progress (Because it's fun for me and allows the community to be more involved). Post things that you'd like to see in VcomAI here or on the Youtube vid.

Improving AI movement and waypoint execution.

• Like 3

Hey y'all.

I'm starting work on Vcom AI again and will be making Youtube videos of the progress (Because it's fun for me and allows the community to be more involved). Post things that you'd like to see in VcomAI here or on the Youtube vid.

suggestion: is this compatible with ACE? if no, then will it be made compatible? it would be nice if the AI could place explosives using the ACE triggers n stuff, and maybe ( if not too hard) be able to use the extendable ladders to climb onto roofs? or stuff like construct sandbag walls with sandbags? use the IR-hunt thing to scout enemy troop movements? use most features ACE has? would be cool.

suggestion: is this compatible with ACE? if no, then will it be made compatible? it would be nice if the AI could place explosives using the ACE triggers n stuff, and maybe ( if not too hard) be able to use the extendable ladders to climb onto roofs? or stuff like construct sandbag walls with sandbags? use the IR-hunt thing to scout enemy troop movements? use most features ACE has? would be cool.

1) It is compatible with ACE as far as I know

2) The AI already use explosives - I Would just need the classnames of the ACE explosives, and their purpose, for the AI to use them

3) I have 0 clue about the ace extendable ladders.  Are these ladder that players can move around and climb onto objects with?

4) Constructing sandbags/walls would be easy. It would be a manner of WHEN and HOW they construct it that would be difficult.

5) They use UAV's now already. So as long as ACE doesn't have something crazy it would be fairly easy if not already working.

It would take a good amount of work to get the AI to utilize all the ACE features - it is something that can't be done quickly.  The challenge is creating an AI system that is flexible enough to utilize whatever they can get while keeping it FPS friendly.

1) It is compatible with ACE as far as I know

2) The AI already use explosives - I Would just need the classnames of the ACE explosives, and their purpose, for the AI to use them

3) I have 0 clue about the ace extendable ladders.  Are these ladder that players can move around and climb onto objects with?

4) Constructing sandbags/walls would be easy. It would be a manner of WHEN and HOW they construct it that would be difficult.

5) They use UAV's now already. So as long as ACE doesn't have something crazy it would be fairly easy if not already working.

It would take a good amount of work to get the AI to utilize all the ACE features - it is something that can't be done quickly.  The challenge is creating an AI system that is flexible enough to utilize whatever they can get while keeping it FPS friendly.

ok, the explosives - i think theres a number of different triggers to them- like, cellphone based IEDs, and i remember in ACE-2 there was some sort of tripmine directional AT mine thingy, but im pretty sure that works, and a deadmans trigger- is held down, and it explodes when let go.  the hunt-ir thingy isnt exactly a UAV. its a 40mm grenade, then you launch into the air ( i think with ACE only vanilla arma 3 40mm grenade launchers work with it, and im not sure if its all of them but im reasonably sure it is) and it has a parachute and a movable camera, which one can control with a hunt-ir control station. i dont think it would be too hard to code- a special grenade that has its own LoS that the soldier also uses, if thats how the coding works. the sandbags walls arent really necessary, just some of the more neater things i would want. the extendable ladders would probably be insanely hard to code- there ladders that one can place, and adjust the height and angle of for any number of purposes. theres also the SSTW, which is a basicaly a tripod bipod mount, with adjustable height, so you can shoot with bipod deployed while standing or crouching without natural cover. to deploy a bipod on. oh and you can also pick up ladders again.  

also, im getting a error where it says a .sqf file in the userconifg file isnt found ,even though it is there. the settings .sqf file, is the one being refered too. i have ACE, enhanced movement, on the australia map, and i dont know the cause. any idea?

Hi,

I have this setup on an Invade and Annex server and the players on the server love it. I do have a small problem and i'm not sure how to fix it. When the AO completes and you get a Defend mission start, the AO completes and there is still 20 - 30 units in operation. Can you give me any advice on sorting that out please? It seems to work great on the intial AO, just not when it switches to Defend.

Kind regards

Rizla

also, im getting a error where it says a .sqf file in the userconifg file isnt found ,even though it is there. the settings .sqf file, is the one being refered too. i have ACE, enhanced movement, on the australia map, and i dont know the cause. any idea?

Hmmm When you download the script or the addon version there should be a "userconfig" folder that you have to move to the root ArmA 3 folder. As long as it's there it should be picking it up.

Hi,

I have this setup on an Invade and Annex server and the players on the server love it. I do have a small problem and i'm not sure how to fix it. When the AO completes and you get a Defend mission start, the AO completes and there is still 20 - 30 units in operation. Can you give me any advice on sorting that out please? It seems to work great on the intial AO, just not when it switches to Defend.

Kind regards

Rizla

Rizla,

Hello and welcome to the community! Could you tell me what version of Invade and Annex you are using? If I get the mission file I can take a look at how the mission counts the mission as completed.

I'm not familiar with how the defend mission works, but I'm assuming that players have to simply defend an AO from an eventually arriving force. 

I have some ideas on how I might fix it...but unfortunately there is nothing 'easy' that you can do server-side wise. (Unless it really is something simple).

Anyway, if you could point me to, or give me, the Annex mission .pbo that you use I can take a look and maybe a quick fix in there :)

Hey genesis92x

​I couldn't even say how glad I am that you are back, I really really love what you did with that stupid BI Ki, even when they thow smoke these days.

​Only one short question, do you plan to rework the behavior of Tanks? Or lets  say heavy Vehicles?

​Again, glad you are back, Cheers.

Hey genesis92x

​I couldn't even say how glad I am that you are back, I really really love what you did with that stupid BI Ki, even when they thow smoke these days.

​Only one short question, do you plan to rework the behavior of Tanks? Or lets  say heavy Vehicles?

​Again, glad you are back, Cheers.

Thanks for the support!

And I do plan on reworking vehicles.  I think the first thing I will do will rework APC behavior and when they offload and reload into a vehicle.

• Like 1

Glad to see you back on this mod, it has sooo much potential on improving AI. Good luck and keep at it.  :D

Hmmm When you download the script or the addon version there should be a "userconfig" folder that you have to move to the root ArmA 3 folder. As long as it's there it should be picking it up.

Rizla,

Hello and welcome to the community! Could you tell me what version of Invade and Annex you are using? If I get the mission file I can take a look at how the mission counts the mission as completed.

I'm not familiar with how the defend mission works, but I'm assuming that players have to simply defend an AO from an eventually arriving force. 

I have some ideas on how I might fix it...but unfortunately there is nothing 'easy' that you can do server-side wise. (Unless it really is something simple).

Anyway, if you could point me to, or give me, the Annex mission .pbo that you use I can take a look and maybe a quick fix in there :)

Hi Genesis and thanks for the welcome!

Also thank you for the offer to help, it's much appreciated as i'm sure you're a busy person.

Here is a link to the .pbo we're using currently - which i believe is the latest I&A http://db.tt/ztC27t44

I would like to send you a donation in appreciation of the work you've done so far so please link your Paypal address please?

Kind regards

Rizla

P.S. Would a copy of the server .rpt files be of any use too?

Glad to see you back on this mod, it has sooo much potential on improving AI. Good luck and keep at it.  :D

Thank you :) I hope to make it better and better with everyone's help 

Hi Genesis and thanks for the welcome!

Also thank you for the offer to help, it's much appreciated as i'm sure you're a busy person.

Here is a link to the .pbo we're using currently - which i believe is the latest I&A http://db.tt/ztC27t44

I would like to send you a donation in appreciation of the work you've done so far so please link your Paypal address please?

Kind regards

Rizla

P.S. Would a copy of the server .rpt files be of any use too?

Thank you! I will take a look into it - and I appreciate any donations they do help a lot. If you'd like to download the best way is through the PayPal button at the bottom of the first post.

The .rpt files will help me fix any errors with Vcom AI but I'm not sure they will help find out why the defense mission goes AWHOL.

@RizlaUK

Okay I *think* I found the mission you were talking about

aodefend.sqf

sleep 5;

hqSideChat = "Assault will end in approximately 10 minutes.";
	[hqSideChat] remoteExec ["AW_fnc_globalSideChat",0,false];

sleep _defendTimer1;

hqSideChat = "The attack is almost over!";

sleep _defendTimer2;

_targetEndText = format [
		"<t align='center' size='2.2'>Defended Target</t><br/><t size='1.5' align='center' color='#0d4e8f'>%1</t><br/>____________________<br/>The assault has ended",
		currentAO
	];

[_targetEndText] remoteExec ["AW_fnc_globalHint",0,false];

[["aoCircle_2"]] call EOS_deactivate;

This is the code inside that script. It looks like the script simply ends after 480 seconds + (random 120 second). So it might be time based and the AI are staying alive longer than the function expected?

As a test I added this to the code:

//Lets add a check to make sure all OPFOR units are killed.
	_PositionCheck = getMarkerPos currentAO;

//Start a loop to check if units are alive or not
	_AttackContinue = true;
	While {_AttackContinue} do
	{
		_OpforUnitList = [];

{if (side _x IsEqualTo EAST) then {_OpforUnitList pushback _x}; } forEach allUnits;

//If the opfor unit is more than 1000 M. away. Do not consider him apart of the town assault.
		{
			if (_x distance _PositionCheck > 1000) then {_OpforUnitList = _OpforUnitList - [_x];};
		} foreach _OpforUnitList;

if (count _OpforUnitList < 1) then {_AttackContinue = false;};

//Check every 5 seconds
		sleep 5;
	};

So the script will progress like normal except it will not say that the assault has ended until all Opfor within 1000 meters are dead/gone. Of course I have not tested  this but please feel free to let me know how it goes. Of course changing any variables is simple to do to get it more customized :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38334795/freshstart.Altis.zip

Hey y'all.

Oh happy days! Love the fact that you're posting videos about how it's made to.

Rizla,

well, it is indeed in the root arma 3 folder:

KWDIL34.png

KIoLI3i.png

so... i dont know what is the cause :(

edit: they seem to do...something now. i remember spawning 2 forces away from eachother, and having one have a seek n destroy waypoint at some buildings in a small village, and the other one defend said village. something happend, i think one of the squads ended up rocketing themselfs with a nlaw, but then the remaining 2 seemed to follow the waypoint, and go into the town, eventually. the opfor side, however, they just seemed to stand still after like, 1 or 2 or 3 of them getting slightly covered positions, and there was plenty of housed and rooftops with cover but they seemed to just stand in the middle of the street. when the blufor forces encounted them, they threw smoke, and acted what i thought was normal. but now i try it again with no change for all the waypoints, aka same formation, speed, combat mode as when they spawn in, and now i have the same problem as alezil- moving back and forth, the opfor moving more back and forth then the blufor. any help? might it be some arma 3 update that changed how things work? ace update?

Edited by 123nick

Oh happy days! Love the fact that you're posting videos about how it's made to.

Thanks! I enjoy making them :)

well, it is indeed in the root arma 3 folder:

KWDIL34.png

KIoLI3i.png

so... i dont know what is the cause :(

edit: they seem to do...something now. i remember spawning 2 forces away from eachother, and having one have a seek n destroy waypoint at some buildings in a small village, and the other one defend said village. something happend, i think one of the squads ended up rocketing themselfs with a nlaw, but then the remaining 2 seemed to follow the waypoint, and go into the town, eventually. the opfor side, however, they just seemed to stand still after like, 1 or 2 or 3 of them getting slightly covered positions, and there was plenty of housed and rooftops with cover but they seemed to just stand in the middle of the street. when the blufor forces encounted them, they threw smoke, and acted what i thought was normal. but now i try it again with no change for all the waypoints, aka same formation, speed, combat mode as when they spawn in, and now i have the same problem as alezil- moving back and forth, the opfor moving more back and forth then the blufor. any help? might it be some arma 3 update that changed how things work? ace update?

I have a feeling that the script looks under your C drive instead of your D drive... I will have to play around with that and see. The next update will fix the AI running back and forth behaviors with pre-set waypoints. I'm uploading a video now about it.

@RizlaUK

Okay I *think* I found the mission you were talking about

aodefend.sqf

sleep 5;

sleep _defendTimer1;

sleep _defendTimer2;

"<t align='center' size='2.2'>Defended Target</t><br/><t size='1.5' align='center' color='#0d4e8f'>%1</t><br/>____________________<br/>The assault has ended",
		currentAO
	];

This is the code inside that script. It looks like the script simply ends after 480 seconds + (random 120 second). So it might be time based and the AI are staying alive longer than the function expected?

As a test I added this to the code:

//Lets add a check to make sure all OPFOR units are killed.
	_PositionCheck = getMarkerPos currentAO;

//Start a loop to check if units are alive or not
	_AttackContinue = true;
	While {_AttackContinue} do
	{
		_OpforUnitList = [];

{if (side _x IsEqualTo EAST) then {_OpforUnitList pushback _x}; } forEach allUnits;

//If the opfor unit is more than 1000 M. away. Do not consider him apart of the town assault.
		{
			if (_x distance _PositionCheck > 1000) then {_OpforUnitList = _OpforUnitList - [_x];};
		} foreach _OpforUnitList;

if (count _OpforUnitList < 1) then {_AttackContinue = false;};

//Check every 5 seconds
		sleep 5;
	};

So the script will progress like normal except it will not say that the assault has ended until all Opfor within 1000 meters are dead/gone. Of course I have not tested  this but please feel free to let me know how it goes. Of course changing any variables is simple to do to get it more customized :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38334795/freshstart.Altis.zip

Hi Genesis,

Thanks again for helping me out, i do really appreciate it. I uploaded the edited file to my server and watched the battle in Zeus mode and when it switches to Defend now, nothing at all spawns and then when the 10 minute time expires it says complete. Another strange thing i noticed when testing was in the Attack part of the mission, prior to the Defend, some FIA guys where spawning in that weren't editable in Zeus and they all spawned in the same location 1 after the other until there was about 20 of them, then they switched to red Opfor colour then instantly despawned. I don't know what all that was about. But yeah, the Defend part after 3-4 tests hasn't had a single unit spawn. Also can you link me your Paypal please?

Regards

Rizla

Always loved this AI mod.  Can't wait for the update/for this to be stable again!  When it works correctly, it's outstanding.

@RizlaUK 

I had a fast look over your Problem, but I have not enough time right now to test my theory.

Is it true, that the first defend AO works like they should and every other doesn't?

Regards

@RizlaUK

I had a fast look over your Problem, but I have not enough time right now to test my theory.

Is it true, that the first defend AO works like they should and every other doesn't?

Regards

Hi Crewt,

No - all the Defends now do not spawn any units.

Regards

Rizla

+1 to showing me RTSE.

Looking forward to an updated VCOM.

hey RizlaUK,

Out of my perspektive it looks like two things can go wrong, because as far as I know EOS, usually I works.

First, you or whoever wasn't within the Range of the Objective. In this case it would wait for you to enter it. Here after 10 minutes it would be removed - If you watch it from Zeus without beeing near ist, nothing should happen. Even when you have KI near.

The other thing that is comming to my mind is the following:

The marker where the area is initialized was already used by EOS und somehow a Charly-Foxtrot happend.  I remember a Mission of mine where i had multiple EOS functions using one Marker. Nothing at all happend the entire Mission.

In this case the code below would probebly fix that:

[spoiler=

/*
Author: 

Jester [AW] & Quiksilver

Last modified: 

16/04/2014 by QS

Description:

When AO is complete, a chance that OPFOR will counterattack.

Create AO detection trigger
	At end of sequence, count WEST.
	if (WEST < 1) exitWith {lost};
	if (WEST > 0) exitWith (held);

Also, APCs spawned with EOS do not engage for whatever reason
_______________________________________________________*/

private ["_pos","_rad","_survivors","_type","_markerGarnision1"];

sleep 1;

if(random 1 >= 0.35) then {

_defendMessages = [
		"OPFOR Forces incoming! Seek cover immediately and defend the objective area!",
		"The enemy managed to call in reinforcements! Form a perimeter around the objective area!"
	];
	_targetStartText = format [
		"<t align='center' size='2.2'>Defend Target</t><br/><t size='1.5' align='center' color='#0d4e8f'>%1</t><br/>____________________<br/>We have a problem. The enemy managed to call in land reinforcements. They are on the way to take back the last target. You need to defend it at all cost!",
		currentAO
	];
sleep 10;
        //publicVariable "refreshMarkers";
        publicVariable "currentAO";
        currentAOUp = true;
        radioTowerAlive = false;
	[_targetStartText] remoteExec ["AW_fnc_globalHint",0,false];
	["NewMainDefend", currentAO] remoteExec ["AW_fnc_globalNotification",0,false];
​// Edit this if you want an  for example bigger area or a ... invisible one?
	_markerGarnision1 = createMarker ["Marker2", (getMarkerPos currentAO)];
	_markerGarnision1 setMarkerShape "RECTANGLE";
	_markerGarnision1 setMarkerText format["Defend %1",currentAO];
	_markerGarnision1 setMarkerSize [500, 500];
	_markerGarnision1 setMarkerAlpha 0.5;

sleep 10;
	//publicVariable "refreshMarkers";
	publicVariable "currentAO";
	currentAOUp = true;
	radioTowerAlive = false;

_playersOnlineHint = format [
		"<t size='1.5' align='left' color='#C92626'>Enemy attacking %1!</t><br/><br/>____________________<br/>Get ready boys they are almost here!", currentAO
	];

_defendTimer1 = 480;			// 480
	_defendTimer2 = random 120;		// 120

[_playersOnlineHint] remoteExec ["AW_fnc_globalHint",0,false];

sleep 10;

hqSideChat = _defendMessages call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_selectedType = [1,2,3]call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;	
	switch (_selectedType) do {
		case 1: { null = [[_markerGarnision1],[6,5],[3,2],[0],[1,0],[0,0,EAST],[0,1,120,FALSE,true]] call Bastion_Spawn; };
		case 2: { null = [[_markerGarnision1],[6,5],[3,2],[0],[2,0],[0,0,EAST],[0,1,120,FALSE,true]] call Bastion_Spawn; };
		case 3: { null = [[_markerGarnision1],[6,5],[3,2],[3],[1,0],[0,0,EAST],[0,1,120,FALSE,true]] call Bastion_Spawn; };
		default { null = [[_markerGarnision1],[6,5],[3,2],[0],[1,0],[0,0,EAST],[0,1,120,FALSE,true]] call Bastion_Spawn; };
	};
	hqSideChat = "Thermal images show enemy are at the perimeter of the AO!";

sleep 5;

sleep _defendTimer1;

sleep _defendTimer2;

currentAO
	];

deleteMarker _markerGarnision1;
};

]

Wasn't able to test these, this mission is killing my PC somehow.

And sorry also i wasn't capable of finding a Spoiler function.. my bad.

Hi Genesis,

Thanks again for helping me out, i do really appreciate it. I uploaded the edited file to my server and watched the battle in Zeus mode and when it switches to Defend now, nothing at all spawns and then when the 10 minute time expires it says complete. Another strange thing i noticed when testing was in the Attack part of the mission, prior to the Defend, some FIA guys where spawning in that weren't editable in Zeus and they all spawned in the same location 1 after the other until there was about 20 of them, then they switched to red Opfor colour then instantly despawned. I don't know what all that was about. But yeah, the Defend part after 3-4 tests hasn't had a single unit spawn. Also can you link me your Paypal please?

Regards

Rizla

Hm, this seems like something that Vcom AI wouldn't cause - but it's possible still. I am going to test that mission with an updated version of Vcom and see if the issue still persists.

Thanks for posting to update me!

I appreciate your willingness to donate ^_^ You can donate here 

Always loved this AI mod.  Can't wait for the update/for this to be stable again!  When it works correctly, it's outstanding.

Thank you! I hope to get it there very soon. I have already fixed a couple of outstanding bugs - the longest/most difficult will be tweaking how vehicles work.

+1 to showing me RTSE.

Looking forward to an updated VCOM.

RTSE is amazing! I love it.

And thanks for the support.

• Like 1

Hm, this seems like something that Vcom AI wouldn't cause - but it's possible still. I am going to test that mission with an updated version of Vcom and see if the issue still persists.

Thank you! I hope to get it there very soon. I have already fixed a couple of outstanding bugs - the longest/most difficult will be tweaking how vehicles work.

Hi Genesis,

The issue with the FIA guys spawning 1 at a time turned out to be a script that spawns bad guys first, then puts them into a building. Something is slowing things down to a crawl which is why and how i witnessed this behaviour. I can't for the life of me seem to get this right.

Hi Genesis,

The issue with the FIA guys spawning 1 at a time turned out to be a script that spawns bad guys first, then puts them into a building. Something is slowing things down to a crawl which is why and how i witnessed this behaviour. I can't for the life of me seem to get this right.

Ugh - that's okay! I understand how complicated it can all be. I haven't tested the mission yet, I'm waiting to get the newer Vcom AI scripts together first. We can see if I run into the same problem or not. By the by, are you running any additional mods or scripts? And if so, do you mind listing them?