genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

23 hours ago, genesis92x said:

Hey all,

I will be releasing Vcom AI 3.0 (yes another complete re-write to update the several year old code again) sometime late  this weekend. I am releasing it alongside my new CTI mission called Dissension.

It features huge optimizations, quality of life changes, improved AI responsiveness, and smarter squad based AI.

Once I release it, I will be posting it in a completely new thread and will request this one to be locked, if at all possible.

Now i am off to buy a new F5 key.... can stand the wait!!! ;)

• Haha 2

3.0 out of nowhere!! :hyper:

Please tell me the issues with VCOM taking over helicopters is fixed again.
Can't wait to get my hands on this and give it a good test. Thanks for all the work you've put into this and Dissension.

• Like 1

I can't wait either! But to repeat the question from last page does Vcom only work with Vanilla factions?

Much appreciated! Additional question. Do any of you use Vcom with say Vanilla Missions or workshop scenarios or does that cause errors?

i use it exclusively for workshop scenarios and they work great with vanilla missions

• Like 1

I'll have to try it out. I was under the impression that Ai mods messed with Campaigns and scenarios not built with it in mind.

1 hour ago, kothen said:

I'll have to try it out. I was under the impression that Ai mods messed with Campaigns and scenarios not built with it in mind.

Depends on the campaign / mission. It can wreak havoc for sure. If the mission maker designs for it then it can work wonders. For example if you have a group of AI that are supposed to patrol a certain area, they can be called away by this mod (I know, I've tested it against my own). But the mission maker can disable VCOM on particular units / groups. This is what I plan to do when 3.0 comes out. And for the few of us that make cut scenes, AI mods can be very destructive LOL. I shouldn't laugh but it's true. As a general rule, if it's a straight forward combat mission, you will probably be fine, but if it's story-oriented, it will break things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I thought that reply was VCOM 3 :(

Hey all, since I learned my lesson about releasing anything without giving it out for at least a few people to test...

Here is the TEST script version before 'official' full release. The official full release will contain the script version, mod version, and steam version.

I would appreciate any bug reports, concerns, and/or requests. The biggest thing with Vcom 3.0 is PERFORMANCE. I removed many features that were just fluff and not required (player suppression, loitering features, and etc) and focused more on squad base infantry.

The biggest change is that Vcom now operates on a squad based level, for performance sake, but will propagate down to squad AI as necessary. This drastically reduces Vcom's foot print. Vcom AI does influence vehicles, but no longer directly controls aircraft any longer. Driving AI is all default behavior now. However, vehicles should follow waypoints and work with squads better.

In most situations AI will follow waypoints to a better. Notice how I say "most situations." I still have difficulty getting AI to follow orders during COMBAT mode. It's funny how AI will flat out ignore DOMOVE commands, unless you completely make them brain dead. The goal is to find a happy balance.

Current commands for Vcoms

(group this) setVariable ["VCM_NOFLANK",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from executing advanced movement maneuvers.
		(group this) setVariable ["VCM_NORESCUE",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from responding to calls for backup.
		(group this) setVariable ["VCM_TOUGHSQUAD",true]; //This command will stop the AI squad from calling for backup.
		(group this) setVariable ["Vcm_Disable",true]; //This command will disable Vcom AI on a group entirely.

If all seems smooth with this script version, I will ask to close this thread and release the full version

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very keen for this update but can I request that you don't remove player suppression or leave it as an optional, my group is a huge fan of it and would be pre sad if we had to stay on a super old version just because of that feature being removed.

• Like 1

@genesis92x

i discovered that for “domove” or “dofollow” to work properly, you must first use “dostop” to cancel the last domove.

your “forcespeed -1” is the right idea but dostop works better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello

I am not able to get the artillery support working with the "test script version". If i put vanilla "O_Mortar_01_F" the gunner is turning the mortar in the direction of target, but he is not shooting at all. If i put for example a "rhs_2b14_82mm_msv" nothing happens.

By the way i get this message at start up:

message.png

Thanks for your great work.

Halifax

Great ! 

Will test on my DWAR mission, with 100 AI spwning and de-spawning for the whole day should be a good test !

It appears the DefaultSettings has been wrongly named a .hpp, when it should be a .sqf causing this:

14 minutes ago, halifax007 said:

Hello

I am not able to get the artillery support working with the "test script version". If i put vanilla "O_Mortar_01_F" the gunner is turning the mortar in the direction of target, but he is not shooting at all. If i put for example a "rhs_2b14_82mm_msv" nothing happens.

message.png

Halifax

14 minutes ago, halifax007 said:

Hello

message.png

Halifax

Try enabling filepatching and installing the userconfig folder

8 minutes ago, dlegion said:

Great ! 

Will test on my DWAR mission, with 100 AI spwning and de-spawning for the whole day should be a good test !

Yeah! I just uploaded another version, so go ahead and try that one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8luoh1o3lzdsns/VcomAI3%2e0.Altis.7z?dl=0

Could the Github be updated so we have better place to post issues? Anyhow, here's an error with the garrison:Wp9PEI4.png
Also, is VCOM overwriting waypoints such as Search and Destroy intended behaviour?

2 minutes ago, Freddo3000 said:

Could the Github be updated so we have better place to post issues? Anyhow, here's an error with the garrison:Wp9PEI4.png
Also, is VCOM overwriting waypoints such as Search and Destroy intended behaviour?

I will create a new GitHub eventually. I think I actually forgot to have it check for SAD waypoints

• Thanks 1

Can I second the keeping of the suppression effect?
Unless it was pretty bad for performance it was actually one of the better suppression implementations about.  

Thank you for removing the direct aircraft control, I'm off to give this a wee test now. :don12:

Ok after a quick test in Zeus I noticed a few things, I saw what I think was a CSAT sapper blow up a building housing NATO forces, rocket launchers being used against static weapons, really good engagement ranges, however I did notice a few groups getting stuck because their waypoint was 100's of meters up in the air, so they'd move to a spot under the waypoint and just mill around, which might be an interesting way of stopping units from moving around, but while in combat they just sat there and got picked off.

Also saw static weapons being deployed but not much fire from them. I had one CSAT mortar guy just sitting there while NATO forces sprayed rounds at him, yet he still refused to fire.
It would be cool if the sporadic mortar fire was normal, but when a unit is under direct fire they load those tubes and fire everything they have.

Oh I also noticed a squad leader getting way out ahead of the rest of his squad, like 100's of meters, although that was only a one off 

One more thing I just noticed while looking through the default settings, it looks like you've taken out the ability to set skills based off of unit/side. I used to really enjoy bumping up the skill of snipers, or having the enemy AI better than the friendly AI in ALiVE missions.

Hello

Userconfig installed and it works. But the artillery support seems to be down. How do we have to handle this exactly:

VCM_ARTYLST = []; //List of all AI inside of artillery pieces

Thanks

Halifax

Two bugs and I guess an unintended feature:

4K87mHG.jpgWpqDSIZ.jpg

ApbklAp.jpgAI calls for help from another area will let you witness a rare event

• Like 1

Hello,

I got this error with the mortar team :

18:45:52 Error in expression <VCM_fnc_ClstObj;

private _Foot = isNull objectParent _Unit;

if (_Foot) then

{

if>

18:45:52 Error position: <objectParent _Unit;

if (_Foot) then

{

if>

18:45:52 Error objectparent: Type Array, expected Object

18:45:52 File Vcom\Functions\fn_ArmStatics.sqf [VCM_fnc_ArmStatics], line 10

Also, I had trouble with the call for backup feature until I change the sleep fonction from 30 + random 30 to 5.

Before, even after a minute, there wasn't any reinforcement order. Now It works every time but only call for 2 teams.

Also, the mortar team move way to close to the fight before deploying their mortar.

The Ai doesn't react to gunfight between other AI in the vicinity.