genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Out of Curiosity, what would be the best game settings when using Vcom? Such as Skill Level and Precision.

On 12/6/2017 at 0:54 AM, scheintot2 said:

Hello,

is this mod broken? AI does not seem to be any special (like shown in the videos) in my game. This mod looks pretty amazing but I think it is not compatible with the new version of Arma, isn'it? Or is it just me?

EDIT: If you use this mod in singleplayer, at least I have to delete all configs in userconfig folder related to this mod. Then modify the defaultsettings.sqf (which you can find inside the PBO) and repack it. Then everything works like intended. Great mod and thanks!

I too have the same feeling...

Something wrong with last updates..

Thanks for tip, i'l give it a try

Just NEEDED.! I use this in my mission ,

zombie survival course .

Congratulation keep up the good work!

From what I've noticed on his YouTube, he's no longer working on VCOM which is a shame. He seems to be more involved in developing "Dissention" 

On 6/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, scheintot2 said:

Hello,

is this mod broken? AI does not seem to be any special (like shown in the videos) in my game. This mod looks pretty amazing but I think it is not compatible with the new version of Arma, isn'it? Or is it just me?

EDIT: If you use this mod in singleplayer, at least I have to delete all configs in userconfig folder related to this mod. Then modify the defaultsettings.sqf (which you can find inside the PBO) and repack it. Then everything works like intended. Great mod and thanks!

Anyway you can share the repack? or maybe point me in the right direction on what to modify inside the defaultsettings?

On 6/17/2017 at 9:56 PM, kothen said:

Out of Curiosity, what would be the best game settings when using Vcom? Such as Skill Level and Precision.

I am also looking for settings to create a viable ai opponent where they dont seem like robots or toddlers.

need helo with my issue. i have a complete squad of AI ranging from medics and other professions. But I notice if we are in a regroup command other AIs will regroup and follow me but others have the "move" command even if I order them to regroup it just changes to move command. i didnt have this issue when wasnt using vcom but I like vcom so if anyone have a fix for this it would be great. thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey @genesis92x again thanks for all the work you've put into this. VCOM is one of the few things that going into each and every one of my missions.

Just a wee question on artillery. Is there something I can change to stop mortars from being so oppressive/persistent. The guys in my group like the enemy having access to mortars, but currently it seems like once we're spotted by the enemy we are constantly shelled form half a map away.

is there any way to make the mortars "forget" about us after a couple of barrages? Or even after x amount of barrages they're "out of ammo" for x amount of time after which they need to reacquire us again? Or even just a simple only run the artillery script 10% of the time sort of thing?

Thanks again for all your work.

• Like 3

@genesis92x  Took a screenshot of the VCOM animation "dragging" error.  I'm willing to dig into the code and try to debug or help you fix it... but I just need a hint or something of where the problem may be occurring so that I know where to start looking.

Il7xRKH.jpg

On 7/4/2017 at 2:25 AM, JD Wang said:

Hey @genesis92x again thanks for all the work you've put into this. VCOM is one of the few things that going into each and every one of my missions.

Just a wee question on artillery. Is there something I can change to stop mortars from being so oppressive/persistent. The guys in my group like the enemy having access to mortars, but currently it seems like once we're spotted by the enemy we are constantly shelled form half a map away.

is there any way to make the mortars "forget" about us after a couple of barrages? Or even after x amount of barrages they're "out of ammo" for x amount of time after which they need to reacquire us again? Or even just a simple only run the artillery script 10% of the time sort of thing?

Thanks again for all your work.

There are a few things you can try:

Changing VCOM_Artillery = 1; to VCOM_Artillery = 0; will make the AI not use artillery anymore. This can be enabled and disabled on the fly to control the AI's use of such a function.

To change the % chances of AI using artillery, I would adjust the random chance in the AIBEHAVIORNEW.fsm in the "ArtyUse" condition. It is currently set to '(random 100) <= 25'.

Changing it to something like.... (random 100) <= 1 will give it a 1/100 chance of being called in every so often.

To edit the FSM just get yourself the Bohemia FSM tool and open it up that way, and then simply re-save it. Oooorr open it via notepad++ and do a search for

"(random 100) <= 25"

and simply replace it with whatever you'd like, for example, the "(random 100) <= 1"

This will work best with the scripted version - I will be patching up the artillery in the next version and giving more control to mission makers :>

8 hours ago, 4 said:

@genesis92x  Took a screenshot of the VCOM animation "dragging" error.  I'm willing to dig into the code and try to debug or help you fix it... but I just need a hint or something of where the problem may be occurring so that I know where to start looking.

Il7xRKH.jpg

I have not looked into this issue at all, it's strange because Vcom executes no animation code unless the dismiss waypoint is used...Are these units on a dismiss waypoint? What were the precursor to this happening? I still have never seen this in any of my play tests :<

I know you said you are not running any additional mods, but are there any additional scripts running? What kind of modules is the mission running? Is this the same mission you posted before? I couldn't find any reason why the AI are doing this.

• Like 2

@genesis92x to piggyback on @JD Wang earlier question what about artillery accuracy? I don't mind the default settings for the enemy IF they have access to mortars, BM21's, D-30's, etc... but dammit man they are dialed in 100% each time they get called in via the AI communicating function. Each time we have to be either spot on for killing without the enemy knowing we are there or we get caught in a function where the artillery will land within 30-60 seconds of the initial contact and then it will follow the people to their respawn point...which is inevitable due to the artillery landing in the middle of the area we are shooting the first contact from and then it nails you on the head at the spawn point usually in the base and blows up everything and everyone again. It only stops AFTER you are able to clear the X as soon as you respawn the third or fourth time and only if you are lucky enough to run far enough away.

• Like 1

Just wondering, is this ACE compatible? I've seen some features (like player suppression) that seem like they could contradict or clash with things ACE does. Obviously I'm gonna do some testing on my own but it'd be nice to know from the get go if it's 100% going to break or not when running with ACE.

We run VCOM and ACE on all our missions, haven't noticed any issues

• Like 1

I put together a short test mission and noticed the enemy UAV operators were not deploying their UAVs.  I found the UAV deploy script was 0 bytes.

V2.81 Script version

Thanks

**EDIT**  Well, I tried it again and this time they used their UAV.  SOoooo....Nevermind me, just passing through...

I love this mod, Its my favorite AI enhancement. I have one question, has anyone tried this with MCC? I like MCC because it is an easy mission generator but I know it has some AI changes from a GAIA system. Would this conflict with VCOM? Im going to assume yes but I want to hear what others have to say. 

On 7/23/2017 at 4:17 PM, kothen said:

I love this mod, Its my favorite AI enhancement. I have one question, has anyone tried this with MCC? I like MCC because it is an easy mission generator but I know it has some AI changes from a GAIA system. Would this conflict with VCOM? Im going to assume yes but I want to hear what others have to say. 

I have not tried it - but I would be curious how it responds...You might have to turn down the AI response ranges for calls of help if you don't want the entire map coming after you...

On 7/23/2017 at 2:11 PM, Deaddog said:

I put together a short test mission and noticed the enemy UAV operators were not deploying their UAVs.  I found the UAV deploy script was 0 bytes.

V2.81 Script version

Thanks

**EDIT**  Well, I tried it again and this time they used their UAV.  SOoooo....Nevermind me, just passing through...

Huh... Regardless I need to look into this/other functions executing correctly. Need to optimize optimize optimize.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:09 AM, Nichols said:

@genesis92x to piggyback on @JD Wang earlier question what about artillery accuracy? I don't mind the default settings for the enemy IF they have access to mortars, BM21's, D-30's, etc... but dammit man they are dialed in 100% each time they get called in via the AI communicating function. Each time we have to be either spot on for killing without the enemy knowing we are there or we get caught in a function where the artillery will land within 30-60 seconds of the initial contact and then it will follow the people to their respawn point...which is inevitable due to the artillery landing in the middle of the area we are shooting the first contact from and then it nails you on the head at the spawn point usually in the base and blows up everything and everyone again. It only stops AFTER you are able to clear the X as soon as you respawn the third or fourth time and only if you are lucky enough to run far enough away.

Ohhh  Isee the problem here. Thanks for the post. The artillery will be the first thing I look into.

Sooooo, quick update for everyone. Starting August 1st I will begin working on Vcom AI again - Dissension is coming along greatly but some of the UI elements are taking longer than expected, so while I wait on the UI elements I will be working on good ol' Vcom AI :D.

I will be focusing on optimizations/improvements and then possibly adding a new feature here and there. So post up your ideas and etc.

• Like 6

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help. I'm trying to set VCOM up on our dedicated server, with headless clients.

questions: Is this mod server side only or do clients need to run it ? And do the headless need to run it as well ?

Great, if someone can answer this.

Thanks

It's ok, I worked it out thanks. Server and headless. 

1 hour ago, Duke101 said:

Hey Guys,

Hoping someone can help. I'm trying to set VCOM up on our dedicated server, with headless clients.

questions: Is this mod server side only or do clients need to run it ? And do the headless need to run it as well ?

Great, if someone can answer this.

Thanks

It's ok, I worked it out thanks. Server and headless. 

You should be fine running it as a servermod, or as a script from the mission. Clients nor headless clients do not require the mod at all, i think.

Every machine which shall handle it's AI with VCOMAI has to use the mod (for modded version).

On my server I load a similar AI mod on server and on all HC's where AI can be local (spawned there or shifted to it with setOwner).
Additionally I put the bikey file into keys folder to ensure that clients which want to use the same AI skills can connect with the mod loaded.

But u don't even need to load it on server if server doesn't control AI. if all AI is handled by an HC then the mod needs to be loaded by that HC only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

Every machine which shall handle it's AI with VCOMAI has to use the mod (for modded version).

On my server I load a similar AI mod on server and on all HC's where AI can be local (spawned there or shifted to it with setOwner).
Additionally I put the bikey file into keys folder to ensure that clients which want to use the same AI skills can connect with the mod loaded.

But u don't even need to load it on server if server doesn't control AI. if all AI is handled by an HC then the mod needs to be loaded by that HC only.

Thanks for this. I'm running Vcom on x3 HCs and I've put the bikey in the keys folder, as you've suggested and seems all good.  

Thanks again for your time. 

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to weight specific factions with more or less skill ??? For example - I would hope the US Marine Corp - would have a greater performance factor than say a village militia...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott 

• Like 1

u should be able to modify the code in the userconfig file for ur needs.

this is part of my own file which I modified with usage of a weighted random:

//AI ACCURACY SETTINGS - You can change these numbers below
//Colonel Level AI
AccuracyFunctionRank6 = {
_Unit = _this select 0;
//_Unit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",(0.05 + (random 0.05))];
_Unit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", random [0.0375, 0.15, 0.2] ];
//_Unit setSkill ["aimingShake",(0.05 + (random 0.05))];
_Unit setSkill ["aimingShake", random [0.0375, 0.15, 0.2] ];
//_Unit setSkill ["spotDistance",(0.6 + (random 0.1))];
_Unit setSkill ["spotDistance", random [0.325, 1, 1] ];
//_Unit setSkill ["spotTime",(0.6 + (random 0.1))];
_Unit setSkill ["spotTime", random [0.325, 1, 1] ];
//_Unit setSkill ["courage",(0.7 + (random 0.3))];

I commented out the default code and added my own there.

I think u can easily add if then statements to have a condition to do ur side specific things....

• Like 1

@sarogahtyp,

Thanks for the response - yeah - I had looked at the userconfig but I guess I was just hoping for a something a little simpler... When I use the "ALiVE" modules - they have an option of predefined skill levels and you just plug your factions in as you deem appropriate... I was hoping for something similar - like with a global modifier to weight each faction appropriately but I can try it your way as well... Appreciate the help !

Regards,

Scott

Great to see you back genesis, been enjoying your Decension videos. 

If you want ideas, then I've got a couple that I've probably already mentioned, but just to collate...

Faction/side based skill levels - If I have a mission fighting both OPFOR and INDEPENDENT it would be great to be able to skill the OPFOR higher to emulate superior training etc. Personally I'd find that more useful than adjusting by rank as VCOM does currently.

Mortars - Really cool that the AI use them, but for gameplay reasons I'd much prefer the AI to "forget" about us more often. Or take longer to reload etc. It seems like at the moment once the AI spot you, you're going to have mortars raining down on you until you find and eliminate the mortars, which considering the range they have can be almost impossible. Just something to make them much less oppressive would be great, maybe even a value people could tweak to see more or less active mortars.

Dragging to cover - I've used Persians AI Injury script in a few of my missions for added flavour and thought it would be cool to see this baked into VCOM. Basically it just makes the enemy AI attempt to drag fallen comrades to cover, so they pop smoke like VCOM does, but then you'll see 1 guy rush out and start dragging his buddy back to cover. There also a facility in the script for them to heal the downed unit, but I've never really used that because we run ACE and AI + ACE advance medical just never work.

One thing I have noticed is in the notes it says if you place a hold waypoint over a building the squad will garrison that building, I've found that to be very hit or miss as to whether it works or not. Sometimes they just all gather at the doorway, but that may be a CUP map vs Vanilla map thing I don't know.

Thanks again for all the work you've put into this. We run VCOM on all our missions, both ALiVE style missions and one off objective based missions and I find VCOM to be essential now. 

Really excited to see what you come up with. Thanks again

• Like 3