genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

@DEV614

Can't imagine that that would work out well.

4 independent fsms running at the same time, foreach Unit....

To handle this you would have to integrate each Feature in an independent Ai Mod/Script.

Hey dude, I've been watching your YouTube videos and the new project looks great.

One thing I would really like to see (and this could easily be a part of your next project I don't know) would be a decent civilian AI mod.

I play a lot of ALiVE missions and they're great but the civs always see to just randomly walk around. 

There used to be COS (Civilian Occupation System) which people could use to populate towns dynamically, but I believe that's been broken for some time now. 

It'd be great to see a system that has civilians spawn and intelligently go places, use vehicles, head home at night as well as react properly to gunfire/traffic etc 

Again I don't know if that something you're thinking about for your upcoming project, but if you do decide to do something like that could you please make it stand alone as well please. 

#CivsNeedLoveToo :P

Hey dude, I've been watching your YouTube videos and the new project looks great.

One thing I would really like to see (and this could easily be a part of your next project I don't know) would be a decent civilian AI mod.

I play a lot of ALiVE missions and they're great but the civs always see to just randomly walk around. 

There used to be COS (Civilian Occupation System) which people could use to populate towns dynamically, but I believe that's been broken for some time now. 

It'd be great to see a system that has civilians spawn and intelligently go places, use vehicles, head home at night as well as react properly to gunfire/traffic etc 

Again I don't know if that something you're thinking about for your upcoming project, but if you do decide to do something like that could you please make it stand alone as well please. 

#CivsNeedLoveToo :P

That is a great idea. I Would love to incorporate something like this...or make something like this. If I did it would be a stand-alone package for people. I bet I could come up with something...

Also. In working with my new project I have stumbled across ANOTHER bug with AI getting stuck and not moving due to the recent patch. So if anyone is struggling with AI being stuck (Which seems to ONLY be AI spawned via script? At odd random times that is hard to reproduce?!) try running this command in the mission via a trigger and see if the AI move again.

{
 _x enableAI "ALL";
} foreach allunits;

I will have to look more into this and come out with a patch at a later date.

• Like 1

So I've been using Vcom AI, ASR Pooters edit for a long time. I've used Vcom AI on it's own and pooters on it's own; how do the two interact together?

It just occurred to me that maybe the two being combined might create some undesired situations... I've used both before at the same time, but I'm pretty sure they overlap some features, Gunshot, hearing aid, all kinds of stuff. What do you recommend?

So I've been using Vcom AI, ASR Pooters edit for a long time. I've used Vcom AI on it's own and pooters on it's own; how do the two interact together?

It just occurred to me that maybe the two being combined might create some undesired situations... I've used both before at the same time, but I'm pretty sure they overlap some features, Gunshot, hearing aid, all kinds of stuff. What do you recommend?

I was recently looking at Pooters ASR changes! Very cool. I am not fully aware of how ASR/Pooter's edits work so I can't give a clear picture of how the two interact with each other. In general, like you suggested, there will be conflicts and mixed messages. The severity of these conflicts is debatable and using could very well still be playable. 

So 'officially' I have to recommend to playing with both and figuring out which you like best. If I recall correctly, VCOM AI is better for more general use and requires more mission knowledge if you want specific scenarios. For example, knowing how to disable VCOM AI on troops, disabling certain units from responding to calls of help, and configuring accuracy and etc.

I love the mod. My ONLY issue is that it screws with the ALiVE combat support units. Are there any plans to remedy this?

Seriously, great work

2 hours ago, piggypotpie said:

I love the mod. My ONLY issue is that it screws with the ALiVE combat support units. Are there any plans to remedy this?

Seriously, great work

Read back a few pages, someone pasted some code which you put in your init.sqf and it removes VCOM from all aircraft. I've used that and it stops the issues of support aircraft all taking off and flying away.

I'm stuck at work at the moment so I don't have time to go back and find the post for you, but you should see it.

51 minutes ago, JD Wang said:

Read back a few pages, someone pasted some code which you put in your init.sqf and it removes VCOM from all aircraft. I've used that and it stops the issues of support aircraft all taking off and flying away.

I'm stuck at work at the moment so I don't have time to go back and find the post for you, but you should see it.

I'll look, but Alive is virtual with combat support until the game starts. Nowhere to put it in as they're modules

3 hours ago, JD Wang said:

Guess what? I'm an idiot. I see it now and went back and saw the code for the init that you suggested. I'll try it in an hour and report back.

Thanks

Just tested it for an hour. The code this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; isn't working. Am I missing something?

Edited by piggypotpie
testing completed

Throw this in your init.sqf 

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

I'm pretty sure that's it anyways 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 10:21 PM, JD Wang said:

Throw this in your init.sqf 

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

I'm pretty sure that's it anyways 

Tried it no luck. Guess I'll need to live without ALIVE

Try this and let me know Piggy:

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];{{Driver _x setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

This is a bug that has been annoying me constantly. In the recent version Aircraft 'shouldn't' be considered for Vcom anymore...but I think it has something to do with the "VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit" variable. Which means that the aircraft are still being called in for support by OTHER troops but not running the rest of the VCOM scripts...

Hey everyone:

Here is a small test script version link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38334795/AIFOLDER/VcomAI_2.8.1Script.zip

With creating my Dissension mission I began tweaking and looking at Vcom in a new light and may have found a few improvements for them during combat. If anyone is curious please feel free to test them. I would appreciate feedback on if this 2.8.1 test version AI seem to perform better in combat. Thank you!

19 hours ago, genesis92x said:

Hey everyone:

With creating my Dissension mission I began tweaking and looking at Vcom in a new light and may have found a few improvements for them during combat. If anyone is curious please feel free to test them. I would appreciate feedback on if this 2.8.1 test version AI seem to perform better in combat. Thank you!

Hi. New version looking good. Tested it last night and didint find any big errors or problems.

One thing what i was missing was that dead markers in debug mode  need different color for each side. So not game changing thing but would make my day.

Going to test that 2.8.1 today.

And if i cant find any big problems and can finish the mission(s):sigh:. Then going to let my community to MP test this.

EDIT:

One more thing. The new player and AI suppression and adrenalin.

Would like to see option to activate it on AI or Player only. Not for both or nobody.

Maby even different mod for stuff that affect players? And keep Vcom Ai only for ai stuff and Vcom Players :rthumb:

EditEdit:

When using dissmissed waypoint. Units some times place fireplaces. Well in ace. fire + unit = burned steak.

Spoiler

96CB5325D5740575C1EC43C157EFC18E642E7A04

Hey I don't know if anyone has this same issue but I'm having problems with a few things since I installed the mod. Major issue I'm having is the vanilla support modules seem to be broken if there are too many units on the map. I tried this on multiple maps and it happens everytime. It also causes the camera in the mission editor to break sometimes as well. I troubled shooted it and when I uninstall the mod it works fine. The modules do work before the firefight starts but once engaged they fail to work. I can select the type of support but once I get to the unit to fire it stopped working. I can't seem to figure out a resolution. I tested this all in the editor. 

Just notice a bug on testing, ai sometimes noclip through walls and houses, also ai doesn't go to buildings where player is hiding anymore

*edit

Also the ai on player group when ordered in combat mode doesnt move cover to cover

Just want to follow up. I found two people many pages ago in this thread talking about the Vanilla support modules being broken and one person on Steam Workshop (none of which were answered) So it's not unique to me. There's pages and pages of people trying to figure how to get it to work with Alive modules but nothing about how to fix it working with Vanilla BIS supports. If I missed something please let me know.  

On 12/15/2016 at 1:26 PM, genesis92x said:

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];{{Driver _x setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

This is a bug that has been annoying me constantly. In the recent version Aircraft 'shouldn't' be considered for Vcom anymore...but I think it has something to do with the "VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit" variable. Which means that the aircraft are still being called in for support by OTHER troops but not running the rest of the VCOM scripts...

Hey everyone:

Thanks, Man

I'll try it out this evening!

On 12/15/2016 at 1:26 PM, genesis92x said:

Hey everyone:

It won't even let me use that in the init. I just copy and paste it, correct?

On 12/16/2016 at 10:01 PM, ferpo_the_great said:

Just want to follow up. I found two people many pages ago in this thread talking about the Vanilla support modules being broken and one person on Steam Workshop (none of which were answered) So it's not unique to me. There's pages and pages of people trying to figure how to get it to work with Alive modules but nothing about how to fix it working with Vanilla BIS supports. If I missed something please let me know.  

I have the same issue. None of the vanilla support calls work once in a heated exchange with enemy AI.

I noticed even when/if it does work it takes a few seconds for the context windows to progress/update. I hit arty support - 5 seconds later- the list of available arty shows up, I select Scorcher -10 seconds later- the list of munitions shows up... you get the idea.  Swapping to ASR or Bcombat I can call a fire support mission in as fast as I can click the desired buttons, not the case with VCOM.

Generating a mission with MCC also takes considerably longer with VCOM installed.

Verified the slow down is only present while using VCOM.  Same map (Altis), same spawn location, same squad, all mods the same... I use ASRAI and support works fine, I use VCOM and support poops out on me.

BTW the AI is wicked fun haha!  They really do give me hell during the course of a mission unlike the other AI mods.  Good work!

My cousin is having the same issue. The AI is amazing and we're having a ton of fun playing with it but the supports we always use are now broken.

i spent about an hour testing it. I tried with it on multiple maps. Vanilla, Tanoa, CUP maps. It seems directly related to the amount of units on the map. You can use the supports before you make contact with the enemy but once a firefight starts the supports don't work or the prompts slow down so much that you can never actually get to use the supports. I hope to see this resolved. I love the mod. 

If these Menus don't show up, or take some time to show up, its a sign that the scheduler is full, and so everything takes longer to be calculated.

Same for the Arsenal and and and. 

This gets affected by, of course scheduled code ( exec, spawn etc. ). 

Now to a question I have for Genesis, any chance you have a look at the dynamic Caching system witch is currently in the Dev branch?

@piggypotpie you could exec this in the Init, but you need CBA. if you don't have cba you need to convert the code into an while loop, witch will again effect the scheduler. 

Regards and have a merry christmas

On 12/19/2016 at 8:42 AM, crewt said:

If these Menus don't show up, or take some time to show up, its a sign that the scheduler is full, and so everything takes longer to be calculated.

Same for the Arsenal and and and. 

This gets affected by, of course scheduled code ( exec, spawn etc. ). 

Now to a question I have for Genesis, any chance you have a look at the dynamic Caching system witch is currently in the Dev branch?

@piggypotpie you could exec this in the Init, but you need CBA. if you don't have cba you need to convert the code into an while loop, witch will again effect the scheduler. 

Regards and have a merry christmas

I have not looked at the dynamic caching system, but am very excited for it! I am curious how it will work and how people like me can tie into it.

On 12/18/2016 at 6:39 AM, piggypotpie said:

It won't even let me use that in the init. I just copy and paste it, correct?

Yeah, try this one. I am trying to do this without any formatting help. I am not at home so this is just me typing away...

Try this:

[{{{{Driver _x setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true]; (Driver _x) setvariable ["NOAI",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

Regarding the slow-down issue.

Could someone post a vanilla mission for me to test with? That way I can repeat it over and over again and specifically work toward fixing the problem. I will be looking at things like number of AI -> distances from each other -> specific interactions with AI modules (Like maybe the support modules are getting grouped into Vcom?!). I will not be able to do any work over the holidays but if anyone has the time to post a vanilla mission that I can easily un-pbo, it would be appreciated.

Also - as I am typing this a thought has come to my mind. If anyone is planning on messing around with VCOM please go into the settings found in the userconfig folder and reduce/disable as many features as possible. If things start working, then we have a more clear picture of what is going on.

EDIT: I played around with the most recent version of VCOM and saw some pretty severe lag in some cases. Much worse than before. I will be sitting down and going through the mod again to find what is exactly causing this slowdown.

EDIT2: Oh. Of course. 5 minutes into looking I think I found the cause...

• Like 2

Genesis, awesome to hear you may have found the slowdown culprit.  I look forward to getting my ass handed to me by your AI minions once you get it sorted haha.  

Hey Genesis, is there an easy way to temporarily reduce the AI's spotting and hearing range?

I'm working on a sandstorm script for my mission and I'd like to make the AI almost blind and deaf while the storm is running so players are at a huge disadvantage.

Ideally I'd like them to only be able to see maybe 10-15m at most. Is that doable?