genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Found a bug: AI reacts to the player placing bombs/mines from up to 500m away regardless of cover.

Is there any improvements to the dogfighting AI, if not are you planning to implement any?

As far as I'm aware of, the improvements are for Infantrie only. Exepct for troup transports in Landvehicles and Helos.

But maybe Genesis can spoil something?

Yeah, but in his VCOM Driving thread Genesis did talk about wanting to implement dogfighting AI. However it has been some time since then, so I was wondering if he dropped it?

True, just wait until Genesis tells us.

I really want to but I have not sat down and looked at it recently. Making AI do things on the ground is hard, making AI actually do things in the air is much harder. I need to take a more deliberate look into the flying AI and hope Bohemia lets mod's mess with their AI on that kind of level. 

I tried a simple mission last night in the editor on Chernarus. And I loved the way the AI was moving to cover and cover, However we were 300m away and it seemed like the AI were unable to hit each other. Is this intended? Should I increase the game difficulty or is there some other setting Im missing?

There are accuracy settings in the config file and defaultsettings script. You will want to increase their accuracy there. Also, make sure that you tweak the default arma 3 difficulty settings on the hosted machine as well.

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up on something I noticed - seems to be a bit of a conflict with "ALiVE" - when using the "Player Transport Module" the helicopters really start behaving strangely and the "Command Tablet" becomes unresponsive... 

Thanks for all you guys do...

Regards,

Scott

Yeah. I need to do a check for ALIVE and just disable Vcom on units inside helicopters. In the mean time, you can disable Vcom AI on specific units to fix this issue.

For some reason with only this AI mod when you set move commands for squad with the the squad in "combat mode" the AI squad will move for about 10 feet and stop. Ai dont move after that. When i set them up as "aware" they move normal. With any other ai mod (ASR, bCombat, FFIS) i don't have this issue. Is there something i'm doing wrong? Is setting move commands with combat mode/ Stealth mode breaking this mod or something?  any insight will be helpfull

I thought I fixed this in the last version - I Will have to mess with it some more to confirm.

Hi! o/

So, I found this mod yesterday and it looks pretty cool. I talked with the folks in my squad, mainly the guy who manages the server, and suggested we use this. Turns out, he tried it sometime ago but got a key error. You can't log in the server if you're using this mod (and vcom driving). I'm not an expert in signature check nor keys, but the man says the error shouldn't be there, since the key in the server matches the one in the mod.

So, does anyone else has this problem? What's the workaround?

I'm not sure, but I think the server is running the latest game version, without Apex.

Thanks for the help :)

I will completely re-do the keys for the next version :D

So in this mod rank affects skill and accuracy? Like if I set a unit to to Seargant, he will have better aim?

Correct. You can also modify these variables in the config or defaultsettings file.

Could Ai be made to Sling Load a heavy field gun for support of the troops? Would be a neat thing in a game.

Like hauling a big artillery piece around? That's an interesting thought.

Found a bug: AI reacts to the player placing bombs/mines from up to 500m away regardless of cover.

Thank you! I fixed this bug now!

• Like 2

The best aspect of this mod is the AI's ability to use static weapon packs and to call in artillery strikes. I don't think any other AI mod or vanilla offer that, which eliminates a huge portion of enemy fighting effectiveness if they never use their support.

Kudos!

Is there a steam workshop version of this mod available?

So after spending about 4 hours testing 2.7 on my server I'd say the major issue our group has with switching over to VCOM right now is the issue with ALiVE Logistics, specifically helos.

I know with Combat support choppers, etc. or other initially placed vehicles you can run the "don't use VCOM" code in the init.

But ALiVE logistics uses virtually spawned helos, trucks, etc. I don't see how those could have VCOM disabled.

Right now...calling in Helo reinforcements in ALiVE with VCOM 2.7 causes some pretty crazy stuff.  Helos not landing and I even saw a group of NATO troops on the ground open fire on one of the logistics helos as it spawned in.

Other than that..this mod is amazing.  But that's a pretty big issue right now if a group uses ALiVE.

You can always disable vcom?

You can have a loop or even better an per Frame Handler ( CBA) and just assign the variable to each chopper Crew.

{ Driver _x setVariable ...; } foreach (vehicles isKindOf "air');

You can always disable vcom?

You can have a loop or even better an per Frame Handler ( CBA) and just assign the variable to each chopper Crew.

{ Driver _x setVariable ...; } foreach (vehicles isKindOf "air');

As I'm not a scripter....where would that code go? The mission init.sqf?

============= 
==Scripting== 
============= 

1)To disable Vcom AI entirely on certain units put this command in their init field: "this setvariable ["NOAI",true];" 
2)To disable Vcom AI entirely on a group, put this command in any unit in a squad: "{_x setvariable ["NOAI",true]} foreach units (group this);" 
3)To get more feedback about what VCOM_AI is doing, put "VCOM_AIDEBUG = 1" in your init.sqf file. 
4)To disable Vcom AI from creating additional waypoints or running to support friendles, put this command in their init field: "this setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true];" 
5)To disable a Vcom AI group from creating additional waypoints or running to support friendlies, put this command in their init field: "{_x setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true]} foreach units (group this);" 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721359761&searchtext=vcom

============= 
==Scripting== 
============= 

1)To disable Vcom AI entirely on certain units put this command in their init field: "this setvariable ["NOAI",true];" 
2)To disable Vcom AI entirely on a group, put this command in any unit in a squad: "{_x setvariable ["NOAI",true]} foreach units (group this);" 
3)To get more feedback about what VCOM_AI is doing, put "VCOM_AIDEBUG = 1" in your init.sqf file. 
4)To disable Vcom AI from creating additional waypoints or running to support friendles, put this command in their init field: "this setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true];" 
5)To disable a Vcom AI group from creating additional waypoints or running to support friendlies, put this command in their init field: "{_x setvariable ["VCOM_NOPATHING_Unit",true]} foreach units (group this);" 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721359761&searchtext=vcom

Thanks for this.

However, this appears to be code to be used on units that are placed down in the editor.  What about units that are spawned in dynamically?

So essentially, when using ALiVE, if I want to make sure that all current and future spawned in Helicopters and Aircraft ignore VCOM AI.....how would I do that?  Place an event handler in the mission init.sqf?  description.ext? 

I'm not an experienced scripter so pardon me for my ignorance on the matter.

As I havent used alive in ... maybe a Year. I have no Idea if you can use their Framework. Maybe the have some Framework you can use.

As I dont want to Check, I would recommend the CBA addPerFramehandler. (If you have cba. It is Way better than the alternativ.). If you dont have cba. An ugly :

while {true} do {sleep 120; code};

Code: the thing from above.

Time. At what rate this should be executed.

Sorry, i'm currntly at the Phone. Maybe later I Can write an entire Script.

Edit.:

[

{

{

If (!isNull (Driver _x) ) then {

driver _x setVariable ["NOAI", true, false];

};

} Foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf "Helicopter"});

},

[]

] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler

As I havent used alive in ... maybe a Year. I have no Idea if you can use their Framework. Maybe the have some Framework you can use.

As I dont want to Check, I would recommend the CBA addPerFramehandler. (If you have cba. It is Way better than the alternativ.). If you dont have cba. An ugly :

while {true} do {sleep 120; code};

Code: the thing from above.

Time. At what rate this should be executed.

Sorry, i'm currntly at the Phone. Maybe later I Can write an entire Script.

Edit.:

[

{

{

If (!isNull (Driver _x) ) then {

driver _x setVariable ["NOAI", true, false];

};

},

[]

Awesome thanks.  Where should this code be pasted into?  init.sqf?

If you use CBA, place :

[
	{
		{
			If (!isNull (driver _x) ) then {
				{
					_x setVariable ["NOAI", true, false];
				} foreach (units group (driver _x));

};
	},
	[]

run this on the Server. initserver would be a possible choice.

Okay! Here is Vcom AI 2.8 Test Version.

Vcom AI Changelog

*FIXED* AI no longer have godly-insta detect when entering combat mode. Vanilla AI seem to have a boost to their detecting abilities in the last few patches.

*FIXED* AI will not run miles and miles to rearm now. (Thanks to burneddi and crewt)

*NEW* Ability to disable weather effects to accuracy.

*NEW* Ability to select percentage impact of weather effects.

*OPTIMIZATION* VcomAI_RearmSelf script has been optimized thanks to Crewt!

*FIXED* AI will no longer magically know when a grenade has been thrown or a mine placed. Thanks to Dancorg! 

*NEW* Further implemented AI debug code to give a more accurate picture of what the AI are thinking and doing.

*FIXED* VCOM_AIMagLimit actually impacts the AI decision making now.

Many of you already have talked to Crewt, and he has offered to help with a few things (Non-committal of course, so don't feel pressure Crewt :D !) So I am looking forward to a few more optimizations and improvements (Which is always welcome). 

In the spirit of team-work I also be adding this into the VcomAI downloads:

Hello!

If you are looking to modify VcomAI I have only one thing to say to you...

Please do!

And if you make something really cool, or optimize something really neat-o like, then please send it my way or

post it on the forums (if you are so willing). I have a firm belief that scripts like these can only become better

with community support. I am just a single person and do this as a hobby, there are many people in this community who

know much more than I do. SO, please feel free to contribute to the project.

Thank you,

Genesis

Thanks to everyone who has been extremely helpful throughout this process.

• Like 4

Thank you for the new version! A lot of good fixes in this version. The godly-insta detect fix works:)
Two things I observed:
call vcomai_closestobject; if (|#|_ClosestFirendly distance _PlantPosition...'
error undefined variable in: _closestfriendly
vcomai_destroybuilding.sqf, line 126

Helicopters called in for support dropped their gunners to death and landed directly in the enemy squad (multiple times). 

Do i understand correctly that in VCOM_RainPercent a higher value means less skill penalty?

Hey Genesis, iv'e noticed that units at night without night vision almost are blind. only when i shoot in their near then shoot the back.

So if I am calling this for both the VCom_AI and VCom Driving in the script side I need these to go in the server init.sqf but do they go in like this?

[] execVM "VCOMAI\init.sqf"; [] execVM "VCOM_Driving\init.sqf";

If not how should they be called on the server so that they are used correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

@reschke, if you know, that all the AI is owned by the Server, then yes.

Also, keep in mind that if your mission has a zeus, the units placed with it, will only be transfered to Vcom if  you execute VCOM on every client, so in the 'normal' init.sqf.

Been trawling a bit on this thread, and wanting to ad some AI-enhancement to my little server.

(but alas! I'm a n00b)

Is there a place where there are some install - step - by - step instructions on how to get this to work on my remote server?

Or is it just like this?

- Install on all clients (by subscribing in workshop)

- Move the @Vcom_AI_V2.6 folder to my server and call it in the command file?

or am I totally lost (I feel so lost).

Been trawling a bit on this thread, and wanting to ad some AI-enhancement to my little server.

(but alas! I'm a n00b)

Is there a place where there are some install - step - by - step instructions on how to get this to work on my remote server?

Or is it just like this?

- Install on all clients (by subscribing in workshop)

- Move the @Vcom_AI_V2.6 folder to my server and call it in the command file?

or am I totally lost (I feel so lost).

First read this regarding servers if you have not yet: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server 

Then this regarding where the mod must run: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-locality/

If your running the mod version of VCOM, execute it in the server command line.

If your running the script, execute it as stated in the readme.

If your running zeus, the mod or script must be run on the persons PC who is zeusing in addition to the server.

Regards

Twak

• Like 1

First read this regarding servers if you have not yet: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server 

Then this regarding where the mod must run: http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-locality/

If your running the mod version of VCOM, execute it in the server command line.

If your running the script, execute it as stated in the readme.

If your running zeus, the mod or script must be run on the persons PC who is zeusing in addition to the server.

Regards

Twak

That is incredible helpful! Thank You for your patience and response.

I'm running the mod version (seems like the best for my abillities). Testing it tonight.

I'm doing zeus missions - and was quite irritated by the fact that my 6 players could obliterate a whole outpost with the ai just sitting there n00bing around ;)

Im planning on using the script version in my upcoming alive mission (hopefully the Alive issues i read about above will be fixed by the time of release, but the hotfix seem quite simple as well).

My question is regarding the difficulty, I read previously that the AI got way to accurate if their skill level was set above 0, is that still / was that ever the case? Also is there a way for me as a mission maker to force a difficulty and override the skill level set by the host's settings? Is there any known issues I would encounter if i start changing accuracy, reaction times and those values manually?

Thanks for reading! :)

So on my server I've uploaded the mod and did this in the commandlines.

Servermods: @CBA_A3;@task_force_radio

Mods: @ace;@Zombies_and_Demons;@CUP_Weapons;@CUP_Units;@CUP_Vehicles;@Chernobyl_Zone;@Vcom_AI_V2.6

I'm running zeus on the server and place two teams in an environment of all kinds of junk, walls buildings just placed by me.

The two teams instantly engages eachother from 500m away, as if the obstacles' not even there. They do not move or do anything else but shoot.

I then placed them at a construction site, already placed there on the map - they engage and seek cover - but does not do anything as cool as I've seen on the vids...

Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong here? (is the map: Chernobylzone) or something else?