genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Hey genesis! Thanks for your work :) It's good to see that you are still working on your mod! Btw. has anyone gathered some experience with Alive and vcom Ai? Would you recommend using both mods together?

Both mod works great together. Only thing is you need to disable the VCOM AI to Alive CAS system. If not you will loose control of the Alive CAS system. use the code in the 1st page and put it inside Alive CAS module init to disable the VCOM AI for the Alive CAS System 

• Like 1

Is there a way to make some sort of auto-routing of patrols, like a police car going on patrol at an airbase?  That checks what type of car it is,and makes it

drive a patrol itself and some sort of menu item,to make it return to you ,when you want it to show up?

You just place it on the map,near a town,a base and it drives on it`s own. 

@genesis92x

Thanks for your hard work, I really appreciate :)

I tested a bit, and I get this script error:

WaitUntil {(_Unit distance _positions) < 2 && (_ClosestUnit distance _positions2) < 2};
Error undefined variable in expression: _closestunit
File vcomAi\VcomAI\Functions\AcomAI_LoiterAction.sqf line 45 //(different lines each time)

Running test version I'm getting the error

Script \userconfig\VCOM_AI\AISettingsV2.sqf not found

Even thought it IS in the userconfig.  Will try with -filepatching on my client.

Thank you for the update!
Had some testruns today and a lot has improved :) Waypoints now mostly work and the AI does interesting stuff again. Without waypoints the AI is very good
Bugs:
Waypoints with changed parameters have problems. Waypoint behavior "stealth" or "danger" caused the units to stop forever. Same for changing speed to "full". Probably all changes.
Sometimes I saw squad leaders repeating something like a "put away weapon" animation forever.
Maybe bugs:
Transport vehicles are sometimes left behind/stopped (crew inside, soldiers long out)
Maybe intentional but units are not agressive enough to follow their waypoint to the end. Example:
Attack Chernogorsk from north-west with infantry, apcs, tanks. Simple "seek and destroy waypoints" into the city. At 30 minutes there are very few shots heard and the attack force is sitting in front of the city, but never enters it. They should enter...
Here is an illustration of the situation http://i.imgur.com/biBAwMD.jpg
In userconfig I think Unit setSkill "reloadSpeed" should be the other way around. "1.0" would be the best skill, not "0.1".
edit:
And some random times units with move waypoints still dont move

Any word on the compatibility with units spawned by Zeus and using HC?

Had a small mission today where the pre-placed units were working like a dream. But once we spawned in a couple of groups via Zeus, and they were moved to the HC by the Werthless script, they didn't move, or a lot of times they started bunching up, or even more strange just outright dying after they spawned.

Not sure it's 100% related to Vcom, but never had that happen before.

Even thought it IS in the userconfig.  Will try with -filepatching on my client.

I'm getting this as well. Any ideas? This is with the script's test mission too :(

I have also tried it with an Invade and Annex mission that has EOS. I "think" I am getting a conflict between the two however I still get the above error at start so am unsure if it is running or if the problem lies with EOS / VCOM having an argument ;) ?

Have tried with the AISettingsV2.sqf in various folders but still get the error :(

I am keen to get this enhancement working on my clan's server :)

Hope someone can help.

<O

Mauler

Is there a way to make some sort of auto-routing of patrols, like a police car going on patrol at an airbase?  That checks what type of car it is,and makes it

drive a patrol itself and some sort of menu item,to make it return to you ,when you want it to show up?

You just place it on the map,near a town,a base and it drives on it`s own. 

Hmm, I might be able to create a special function for this. You would have to put it in the INIT line of the unit, or execute it on the unit somehow. Otherwise players who don't want that behavior don't have to figure out how to disable it.

HoseKacken.bikey? :D As a German I do find this extraordinarily amusing ;)

Heehee. I was waiting to see how long that took. I don't take mod making a seriously as I should...

I love Germany and hope to learn German and visit one day.

@genesis92x

Thanks for your hard work, I really appreciate :)

I tested a bit, and I get this script error:

WaitUntil {(_Unit distance _positions) < 2 && (_ClosestUnit distance _positions2) < 2};
Error undefined variable in expression: _closestunit
File vcomAi\VcomAI\Functions\AcomAI_LoiterAction.sqf line 45 //(different lines each time)

Thanks for the error! I will get on that and fix it for the next test version.

Yeah. I forgot about filepatching. I am going to test some other ways to load up the userconfig folder without having to enable filepatching.

Thank you for the update!

Had some testruns today and a lot has improved :) Waypoints now mostly work and the AI does interesting stuff again. Without waypoints the AI is very good

Bugs:

Waypoints with changed parameters have problems. Waypoint behavior "stealth" or "danger" caused the units to stop forever. Same for changing speed to "full". Probably all changes.

Sometimes I saw squad leaders repeating something like a "put away weapon" animation forever.

Maybe bugs:

Transport vehicles are sometimes left behind/stopped (crew inside, soldiers long out)

Maybe intentional but units are not agressive enough to follow their waypoint to the end. Example:

Attack Chernogorsk from north-west with infantry, apcs, tanks. Simple "seek and destroy waypoints" into the city. At 30 minutes there are very few shots heard and the attack force is sitting in front of the city, but never enters it. They should enter...

Here is an illustration of the situation http://i.imgur.com/biBAwMD.jpg

In userconfig I think Unit setSkill "reloadSpeed" should be the other way around. "1.0" would be the best skill, not "0.1".

edit:

And some random times units with move waypoints still dont move

Okay - I will take a look into this as well. Is this mission heavily modded? I would like to have the mission to test, you can PM it to me if you want to keep it personal.

Any word on the compatibility with units spawned by Zeus and using HC?

Had a small mission today where the pre-placed units were working like a dream. But once we spawned in a couple of groups via Zeus, and they were moved to the HC by the Werthless script, they didn't move, or a lot of times they started bunching up, or even more strange just outright dying after they spawned.

Not sure it's 100% related to Vcom, but never had that happen before.

Okay - this sounds like I need to have a "changed owner" check. The MOMENT AI are spawned they do a locality check and the local machine/client spawns the code on them. If you spawn them in and then move them over, the local machine loses control of the AI and he scripts do not execute anymore. (This is my guess).

If possible, try having the HC spawn them in directly (I think this is possible? I haven't messed with HC's).

I will see about creating a constant locality check for AI getting moved around a lot.

I'm getting this as well. Any ideas? This is with the script's test mission too :(

I have also tried it with an Invade and Annex mission that has EOS. I "think" I am getting a conflict between the two however I still get the above error at start so am unsure if it is running or if the problem lies with EOS / VCOM having an argument ;) ?

Have tried with the AISettingsV2.sqf in various folders but still get the error :(

I am keen to get this enhancement working on my clan's server :)

Hope someone can help.

<O

Mauler

This is most likely a filepatching problem that I am aiming to fix this weekend :)

Okay! Thanks for the responses. I am aiming to fix these up this weekend and post another version. Thanks everyone!

• Like 4

Heads up, arma added disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT" in the dev branch. Which would be immensely useful for you. I know you have the AI set move points, but because they are in "COMBAT" mode they just typically just hide behind cover, spray, and pray. This feature should stop that awfulness.

Actually, if you get really smart,  disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT," and let only your scripts determine when to set the team into AWARE, SAFE, or DANGER mode.

• Like 1

So i my community runs ace and zeus and so on. I asked earlier about filepatching but you are correct it ran fine when I zeused on a server that didn't have it installed and vcom ai still worked. Now I wanted to know I noticed medics don't seem to treat wounded at least not in ACE is that configurable for the finalized update or is it just a deal with it scenario. Lastly does your test version u just put up still require vcom ai driving or is it implemented.

So i my community runs ace and zeus and so on. I asked earlier about filepatching but you are correct it ran fine when I zeused on a server that didn't have it installed and vcom ai still worked. Now I wanted to know I noticed medics don't seem to treat wounded at least not in ACE is that configurable for the finalized update or is it just a deal with it scenario. Lastly does your test version u just put up still require vcom ai driving or is it implemented.

AI medics doesn't work when ace is enable, because there is no code in the ai to perform medicals in ace, may be genysis can add it if its possible

AI medics doesn't work when ace is enable, because there is no code in the ai to perform medicals in ace, may be genysis can add it if its possible

I guess that was more of a general question. Another question I have for Genesis... Will you be able to place zeus utility modules on the next version so when I Zeus and set a waypoint I can give them some orders that usually require a premade mission mode or scripting. such as defend this area, or patrol, garrison, and so on. I use Ares but I don't like the Patrols in Ares. Feat Of Arms and Bcombat both have placeable modules for zeus, that are similar, although I don't think they are as good and although I like ASR AI 3 I don't think it is dynamic enough as vcom.

another question I have on top of the zeus module addition thing is, will there be a change to snipers at all and is there a way to prevent over movement. I like... no no I love the features of units placing mines. and trip wires and so on. Snipers placing claymores so good but I placed a sniper with zeus and when he saw an enemy I almost couldn't keep him still he kept wanting to flank. it was an RHS sniper but same happened with vanilla sniper. this could be resolved if modules are able to be placed that sync with soldiers to defend a position so they don't move out of it except to find close cover which would solve the issue otherwise if you can make rules for classes such as those sit and wait sniper types that would be good. Again it may have just been a fluke and if you already did I trust you and will do more testing.

Hey Genesis!
Feedback on the new version: Wonderful, I first-hand witnessed an ambush again a squadmate, who proceeded to strafe to cover while returning suppressive fire and then quickly drop to the ground. It was magnificent, never seen anything like that from an AI in arma before :3!

However, I have noticed an issue: occasionally squadmates, after entering combat mode, seem to get 'stuck'.Stuck as in the AI can turn, aim, and shoot, but they refuse to move, ignore direct move orders, dont fallback to formation, and sit 100% idle movement wise for the rest of the mission. This usually happens after the AI spots an enemy, but not always. For example, while patrolling a village, our squad encountered close enemy contact. We exchanged fire for a bit, took a loss, but managed to kill off our attackers. Afterward I moved us on, however I noticed the AI were not following me. I went back and they were all laying down in the area we were fighting in, they refused to move via any command, but they turned and looked around occaisonally.

In another mission, I was leading my fireteam on recon at night when a fast-mover flew overhead. The AI crouched down, looked up at the aircraft for a bit while moving slowly around in duck position. After this they wandered a bit slightly, but ignored any movement commands. After awhile they eventually stopped moving completely and refused to budge.

Besides this though, your mod is great work, and manages to remove alot of the 'up and down and shoot till death', expand on the limitations of the vanilla A3 AI and the rugged and slow movement that of some other mods *cough* bCombat *cough*.

Thanks for putting your precious time into this piece of art <3

Edit: I would like to note that most of the testing was performed in WLA and DUWS (Which would probably have a high chance of influencing AI behavior), however still I have not noticed this issue with bCombat OR ASR AI. The issue only seems to affect player squadmates (Which further increases chances of it being the mission).

Edit Again: It seems it happens in a stock (stock as in placing two squads and telling them to move towards eachother) mission as well, AI units entering combat mode cease up almost 100% of the time.

I added the script version to my mission and copied the VCOM_AI userconfig folder in the script folder to my server userconfig folder but, the RPT says: Warning Message: Script userconfig\VCOM_AI\AISettingsV2.sqf not found

I added the script version to my mission and copied the VCOM_AI userconfig folder in the script folder to my server userconfig folder but, the RPT says: Warning Message: Script userconfig\VCOM_AI\AISettingsV2.sqf not found

start Parameter : -filepatching -mod=xxx; -cfg=xxxx; .....................

Is this mod still being worked on/updated if so where can i get the latest version? :D thanks ahead of time

Will this conflict with the UPSMON scripts? I noticed the two have some similar features but would very much like to use both together if possible. Maybe I would have to disable similar features in one script or the other?

Edit: Didn't notice the search bar until now. It seems the answer is yes and no. Does anyone have a good deal of experience using these two together that could give me some advice as to which features from each script I should disable to get the best results? I sort of envision UPSMON being used for the patrolling and etc that is done before combat starts and then vcom handling the firefight. Both scripts have a sort of reinforcement feature so I guess that might be a problem...

Hello, this mod sound amazing, but i have some questions:

In ASR AI, the AI will go fully automatic if you pop in their face during some CQB.

They will use single shot more often at long range while units like machine gunner will use burst, single (?).

The more the range get closer, the more the firing rate go up.

Also, the AI, especially machine-gunner, will actually suppress your position, yourself or fire in the direction of your last know position.

Plus the AI precision seem realistic because he wont fire laser guided bullet between your eyes.

I can't find anything about the AI firing protocol (?) in your description of the Vcom mod.

What about this? It is planned, done or you wont modify it?

Anyway good luck with your mod, I hope it will get popular when it will work as intended!

Sorry my bad English.

Hello all! Just a quick update with where things are at.

I have done a lot of work with the scripts but there are still a few bugs and optimizations I'd like to make. I apologize for the slow progress, my last semester of my graduate program just started and requires a lot of attention right now. I hope for that to fall off this week so I can work on some more ArmA. 

So far I am pleased with how testing is going - I have fixed a lot of bugs reported on the test version - made loads of improvements.

The last major thing that I would love help on is the -filepatching concern. As far as I am aware the only way I can load files from the userconfig folder is using #include command. However, there is no way to check if that file exists before running that command - thus causing a crash. Unfortunately, this may result in servers/hosts having to use the -filepatching command if they wish to customize the AI settings. If anyone has an idea - please let me know. I can't find anything via google or my own testing.

==============================================================================================================================================

Heads up, arma added disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT" in the dev branch. Which would be immensely useful for you. I know you have the AI set move points, but because they are in "COMBAT" mode they just typically just hide behind cover, spray, and pray. This feature should stop that awfulness.

Actually, if you get really smart,  disableAI "AUTOCOMBAT," and let only your scripts determine when to set the team into AWARE, SAFE, or DANGER mode.

This is good to know. I will probably implement this in a future version as it will require more tweaking and etc.

I'm glad to hear about it though - that's very nice.

Will this conflict with the UPSMON scripts? I noticed the two have some similar features but would very much like to use both together if possible. Maybe I would have to disable similar features in one script or the other?

Edit: Didn't notice the search bar until now. It seems the answer is yes and no. Does anyone have a good deal of experience using these two together that could give me some advice as to which features from each script I should disable to get the best results? I sort of envision UPSMON being used for the patrolling and etc that is done before combat starts and then vcom handling the firefight. Both scripts have a sort of reinforcement feature so I guess that might be a problem...

Like you said in your edit, it doesn't play super nice. The newer version will play better but not great. Turning off the reinforcement feature from Vcom *might* work best.

Hello, this mod sound amazing, but i have some questions:

In ASR AI, the AI will go fully automatic if you pop in their face during some CQB.

They will use single shot more often at long range while units like machine gunner will use burst, single (?).

The more the range get closer, the more the firing rate go up.

Also, the AI, especially machine-gunner, will actually suppress your position, yourself or fire in the direction of your last know position.

Plus the AI precision seem realistic because he wont fire laser guided bullet between your eyes.

I can't find anything about the AI firing protocol (?) in your description of the Vcom mod.

What about this? It is planned, done or you wont modify it?

Anyway good luck with your mod, I hope it will get popular when it will work as intended!

Sorry my bad English.

Yes - I think I will add a simple check for machine gunners to suppress more often. It would be a nice touch. For now, with the upcoming version, the AI should fire more and be less accurate overall.

Is this mod still being worked on/updated if so where can i get the latest version? :D thanks ahead of time

Yes :D!

This would be awesome - I will take a look into it. Although it might be something for the mod version only.

start Parameter : -filepatching -mod=xxx; -cfg=xxxx; .....................

Grrr. I understand why they changed that command to be the default now. But it is irritating me right now.

You will need -filepatching enabled - I hope to find some sort of workaround soon.

Hey Genesis!
Feedback on the new version: Wonderful, I first-hand witnessed an ambush again a squadmate, who proceeded to strafe to cover while returning suppressive fire and then quickly drop to the ground. It was magnificent, never seen anything like that from an AI in arma before :3!

However, I have noticed an issue: occasionally squadmates, after entering combat mode, seem to get 'stuck'.Stuck as in the AI can turn, aim, and shoot, but they refuse to move, ignore direct move orders, dont fallback to formation, and sit 100% idle movement wise for the rest of the mission. This usually happens after the AI spots an enemy, but not always. For example, while patrolling a village, our squad encountered close enemy contact. We exchanged fire for a bit, took a loss, but managed to kill off our attackers. Afterward I moved us on, however I noticed the AI were not following me. I went back and they were all laying down in the area we were fighting in, they refused to move via any command, but they turned and looked around occaisonally.

In another mission, I was leading my fireteam on recon at night when a fast-mover flew overhead. The AI crouched down, looked up at the aircraft for a bit while moving slowly around in duck position. After this they wandered a bit slightly, but ignored any movement commands. After awhile they eventually stopped moving completely and refused to budge.

Besides this though, your mod is great work, and manages to remove alot of the 'up and down and shoot till death', expand on the limitations of the vanilla A3 AI and the rugged and slow movement that of some other mods *cough* bCombat *cough*.

Thanks for putting your precious time into this piece of art <3

Edit: I would like to note that most of the testing was performed in WLA and DUWS (Which would probably have a high chance of influencing AI behavior), however still I have not noticed this issue with bCombat OR ASR AI. The issue only seems to affect player squadmates (Which further increases chances of it being the mission).

Edit Again: It seems it happens in a stock (stock as in placing two squads and telling them to move towards eachother) mission as well, AI units entering combat mode cease up almost 100% of the time.

Yeah - the ceasing is not good. I did another pass on my end and made the AI more mobile to prevent them from freezing in space and time. I think the AI should lose VCOMAI with a player leader...Hrm..I will need to look into this.

I guess that was more of a general question. Another question I have for Genesis... Will you be able to place zeus utility modules on the next version so when I Zeus and set a waypoint I can give them some orders that usually require a premade mission mode or scripting. such as defend this area, or patrol, garrison, and so on. I use Ares but I don't like the Patrols in Ares. Feat Of Arms and Bcombat both have placeable modules for zeus, that are similar, although I don't think they are as good and although I like ASR AI 3 I don't think it is dynamic enough as vcom.

another question I have on top of the zeus module addition thing is, will there be a change to snipers at all and is there a way to prevent over movement. I like... no no I love the features of units placing mines. and trip wires and so on. Snipers placing claymores so good but I placed a sniper with zeus and when he saw an enemy I almost couldn't keep him still he kept wanting to flank. it was an RHS sniper but same happened with vanilla sniper. this could be resolved if modules are able to be placed that sync with soldiers to defend a position so they don't move out of it except to find close cover which would solve the issue otherwise if you can make rules for classes such as those sit and wait sniper types that would be good. Again it may have just been a fluke and if you already did I trust you and will do more testing.

I realllllly want to implement better sniper behavior. This will happen, but probably after the release of the newer version. AI now should not move/generate new waypoints under a few conditions now.

1) They have more than 2 waypoints

2) They are on a guard waypoint, hold waypoint, or any waypoint that implies guarding an area.

3) They were spawned in a building

4) Or are garrisoned inside a building.

It would be nice if medics actually healed without the leader telling them to do it all the time.

VcomAI is still separate. I think it will be better that way.

• Like 4

Hello all! Just a quick update with where things are at.

*snip

Amazing work Genesis. Cant wait for the official release. Good luck with your studies.