genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Finally getting the hang of the scripted version thanks to your questions you've answered for me previously via PM. I was wondering though if there is a way to override the userconfig the player has in their general Arma folder with the defaultconfig for the mission itself? Hopefully that makes sense. Basically I want the settings to be different for each different mission, specifically the response radius like I'd asked you about previously. I saw there is an init.sqf file that looks like it's maybe for multiplayer stuff(?), I don't really know to be honest. So is there a way to set different parameters for each mission that will override whatever is in the player's userconfig? Is there a way to call the defaultconfig as the primary source of information or something?

My reason for wanting this control is for realism sake. For example, if I have a mission where it's pouring rain and there's thunder and lightning, I want the AI to have reduced hearing distance, and thus, a small radius of response to friendlies in trouble. As of now, the only way I can think of doing this is having the player adjust their own userconfig file to fit my mission, but I sort of doubt anyone is going to that, and then it could lead to problems with the mission because I designed it around certain ideas and parameters and if the end user isn't following the required changes to their own userconfig for VCOMAI I fear the mission won't work and people will complain because they're either lazy and don't want to change their userconfigs for the mission or because they don't understand why or how to do it.

I had to do a video on the AI CQB real quick.  I know it's super basic, but man is it good to have AI finally check a house if there's gunshots originating from it.  Great job so far and hope you continue updating this outstanding addon in the future!

[NOTE:  Video contains vulgar langauge]

Hello, I am currently experiencing an issue with VCOM, as shown here in this video:

A single squad with a single default move waypoint, though in any circumstances, including combat, different strange behavior is formed.

Extremely Erratic and broken behavior is being exhibited by the AI, most notably squad leaders, and in my scenario, 100% reproducible and unavoidable.

Additional behavior includes: Squadmates scattering and sprinting off at random vectors, Squad Leaders order the squad to random local locations, complete stationary positioning even under fire, completely ignoring enemy existence, even under fire.

Enable and Disabling different mods will display variation in behavior, however regardless of the mods I use (Even with just VCOM), the behavior remains erratic.

The fact that no one else has reported such a glaring and obvious damage in core behavior suggests that the problem is unique to my setup, however I am using default userconfig, simple as possible mission, On standard branch 1.50.

Using VCOM 2.10.

Here is my .rpt log of a combat test if it helps any:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93583028/arma3_2015-09-15_02-18-07.rpt

Nope I'm also seeing this in the last 2 versions. No waypoints work and AI movement is completely broken!! Latest Arma3 and no other mods.
Squad leader +3 mates are just flickering in their starting position (maybe trying to aim at enemy) and the rest of the squad moves in some random direction, where there is no enemy or waypoint. Some waypoints are drawn onto the map but they only move to the first one and then stop.
Also AT soldiers still not fire weapons.

The AI accuarcy, spotting and smoke count is now better :)
http://i.imgur.com/WcptJSj.jpg

@phronk -looked decent but does the AI always know where you are when inside? Meaning with BCombat I could fire outside and AI would always come exactly to my spot inside. Tested this by secretely ducking out the back door and snooping to 3 houses over with no chance of enemy spotting me yet they went exactly there.

I am seeing the same strange AI behaviors too. I give them hold waypoints specifically and they just move around in small circles alerted, also i am seeing AI take hold up in to just one building, this example is a patrol house, they all gather inside of it the whole squad. vanilla no mods. just in editor with me as zeus.

There is something wrong with the move waypoint just as the others are saying

Testing V2.10 with the Pilgrimage scenario https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/163307-sp-pilgrimage/

The AI are way too aggressive although much less aggressive than the previous version. AI clog up doorways and stick in awkward positions when dead. Armored vehicles go crazy trying to get inside players building. Some AI cannot be looted or items sold from their bodies. Mod causes a delay in displayed Pilgrimage text, making boxes and displaying loot icons. The first AI I killed came thru the door where me and buddy was, once he was dead I could not walk past him or loot/sell off his body. This invisible wall around him dissipated after awhile. As you can see they get stuck in weird positions. Two tanks and an Ifrit GMG tried like hell to get inside the building. Both tanks were so aggressive they flipped themselves over.

I did a short video of my first encounter with AI. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v73KZKH28OI

This mod has very much potential and is much anticipated. Like very much how AI seeks you out but right now it's just too aggressive for me and my coop friend. Not sure how to tone it back but I did make some minor changes in the userconfig folder.

Good luck with this and I hope at some point I can use it with the Pilgrimage mod.

Thanks for your efforts !

Waypoints seem to be working fine on my server.  Seems buggy in the editor though, that's for sure.  Also, it feels like the AI is able to pinpoint players' positions pretty easily and "reliably" a lot of the time, but I still need to tinker more with the AI settings userconfig.  I get these RPT errors on my server, which uses CBA, ACE, TFAR, and RHSUSAF:

EXAMPLE 1

if (_RandomChance < VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:08   Error position: <VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:08   Error Undefined variable in expression: vcom_grenadechance
2015/09/16, 18:29:08 File vcomai\VCOMAI\Functions\VCOMAI_ThrowGrenade.sqf, line 7
2015/09/16, 18:29:13 Error in expression <und (random 100));

{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:13   Error position: <VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:13   Error Undefined variable in expression: vcom_grenadechance
2015/09/16, 18:29:13 File vcomai\VCOMAI\Functions\VCOMAI_ThrowGrenade.sqf, line 7
2015/09/16, 18:29:14 Error in expression <und (random 100));

{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:14   Error position: <VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:14   Error Undefined variable in expression: vcom_grenadechance
2015/09/16, 18:29:14 File vcomai\VCOMAI\Functions\VCOMAI_ThrowGrenade.sqf, line 7
2015/09/16, 18:29:14 Error in expression <und (random 100));

{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:14   Error position: <VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 18:29:14   Error Undefined variable in expression: vcom_grenadechance
2015/09/16, 18:29:14 File vcomai\VCOMAI\Functions\VCOMAI_ThrowGrenade.sqf, line 7

EXAMPLE 2

{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 13:45:25   Error position: <VCOM_GRENADECHANCE) then 
{

if (isNil ">
2015/09/16, 13:45:25   Error Undefined variable in expression: vcom_grenadechance
2015/09/16, 13:45:25 File vcomai\VCOMAI\Functions\VCOMAI_ThrowGrenade.sqf, line 7
2015/09/16, 13:45:38 C Alpha 3-2: Cycle as first waypoint has no sense
2015/09/16, 13:45:38 C Alpha 2-1: Cycle as first waypoint has no sense
2015/09/16, 13:45:38 C Alpha 3-1: Cycle as first waypoint has no sense

2015/09/16, 13:46:10 Error in expression <und (random 100));

I'm assuming disabling the Vcom grenade settings would avoid a lot of these errors, but I haven't tried yet.

[EDIT]

There are still some issues with Vcom AI even on a dedicated server, like colossal amounts of AI trying to assault a unit in a building.  They also ragdoll very oddly in buildings when killed and tend to cluster in buildings, especially in doorways and narrow hallways.  As my two cents, I think the AI being able to clear buildings now (somewhat) is a great addition to ArmA, but Vcom overall right now isn't as stable as it used to be several months ago (Near February version?).

Can I make a personal request? Is there an AI command to make them HASTILY retreat when faced with armor? Those plonkers like to stick around like those 50 tons of machine are no threat at all.

Can also confirm some strange AI behivor with move waypoints. Editor placed units won't follow waypoints at all, they just keep going in circles. Even if I turn the AI off with "this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];".

However, if I place units using Zeus and give them waypoints, they go on as normal with no issue. Tested plain vanilla with VCOM AI.

Just using it with Zeus though, I'm really excited for this mod. The AI looks and acts like nothing else I've come across, really good work.

Does the AI recognize ArmA 2 buildings? I haven't had them try to clear them while I was in one yet.  Or are there only a few that they don't recognize?

Can also confirm some strange AI behivor with move waypoints. Editor placed units won't follow waypoints at all, they just keep going in circles. Even if I turn the AI off with "this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];".

However, if I place units using Zeus and give them waypoints, they go on as normal with no issue. Tested plain vanilla with VCOM AI.

Just using it with Zeus though, I'm really excited for this mod. The AI looks and acts like nothing else I've come across, really good work.

AI placed in editor will act like they should once you give them waypoints in zeus. I'm currently looking to see if there is anything that is causing the waypoint issue on my own and will report back if I find anything (I probably wont). I should note that I'm using v2.1 and am still having issues with the MOVE waypoint.

Does the AI recognize ArmA 2 buildings? I haven't had them try to clear them while I was in one yet.  Or are there only a few that they don't recognize?

I'm pretty sure they will only go into buildings that have set positions in them like the ones in the base game. It all depends on if the map maker included those positions in their buildings when they made them or ported them over.

I got problems with AI controlled mortars. When placed with Zeus they seem to instantly know where their enemy is and engage their enemy with very precise mortar fire. And sometimes other Zeus placed units seem to know and plan their waypoints towards the enemy too.

Is there a fix for this?

When throwing grenades :
Can you change the setDir to a loop for a smoother look or use lookAt instead?

They just suddenly look at me like in a scary movie, when throwing grenades.

Got some strange AI ragdoll. Dead AI will hover in the air, or start "dancing". Maybe ACE causes it?

Well i have strange situation here - ai are disembarking from tanks in random moment while engaging....

Hey.

First of all This is great script, the combat is so much more better and I especially like the fact this is script so I can make missions without trying to force people to download some external AI mod.

However I would love if you can and/or have time to fix this bug. At the moment its impossible to make waypoints in editor.

Heres video showing the bug.

https://youtu.be/ONegsbpfymo

Hey guys, a quick update. I am extremely busy and am currently working very little on scripts. I am spending most of my free time on Degeneration right now.

I will eventually address all the bugs in this forums. 

Also, feel free to unpackage the mod/modify the scripts to your hearts content and post it yourself.

I do plan on fixing vehicles, waypoints bugs, and etc.

Thank you all for your support.

I feel guilty that I do not have more time for this

to be fair ... Degeneration should be pretty awesome !

Just wondering, Is this mod still useable or is it too buggy? Im trying to get Bcombat to work but something with the SQF. I want to use this mod more but from the posts it sounds like its kind of broken.