genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

I run this mod in our dedicated server, addon version and server side only. the mod work well with, The ai Flank, radio for backup, use smoke. I believe surpression works too.

Genesis, any ideas on the "where the mod looks for the Userconfig issue " ?

Really want to crack it if possible ?

Cheers

Was thinking one solution could be to simply have it look for the backup settings.SFQ inside the @VCOM_AI folder as a loose SQF instead of packed into the PBO. That way we could still modify it without having to actually change your PBO in someway ?

that would be easy to implement right ?

SJ

Ok we're having some serious mod localisation issues.

We noticed units on our dedicated were not inheriting the correct skill level settings.

i.e. we had adjusted your default settings to reduce down the spot distance for instance which seemed overly high.

Now when we run that modified Settings SQF - it ignores it and defaults to some other settings file.

On de-pboing the mod we find you have a backup Settings.SQF that is triggered if the mod cannot find a userconfig folder and associated VCOM_AI folder with the right settings.sqf.

Now that's a pain for us as we don't run a default @mod structure - we run one mod folder with all our mods in it - and then 10 seperate folders with server.exe's for each of our 5 servers + HCs.

Each server folder has it's own userconfig with associated Settings.sqf files, but for some reason VCOM isn't seeing it.

So just to clarify we have a userconfig\VCOM_AI\aisettings.sqf in the root folder with the right Armaserver.exe but VCOM is not reading this file.

Can anyone help ?

SJ

Okay, so keep in mind that a servers own defined skill levels will always take priority over any mods/missions settings. So if you really want to decrease the accuracy you might want to turn it down in the server config first. This is hard-coded into the engine right now.

And there is currently an issue with the userconfig I believe - it should be resolved in the next version.

Is it possible to run this on a dedicated server without implementing it into a mission?

Just running the addon should work - however, there seems to be an issue with userconfig's not applying correctly. Making it break.

Genesis, any ideas on the "where the mod looks for the Userconfig issue " ?

Really want to crack it if possible ?

Cheers

Was thinking one solution could be to simply have it look for the backup settings.SFQ inside the @VCOM_AI folder as a loose SQF instead of packed into the PBO. That way we could still modify it without having to actually change your PBO in someway ?

that would be easy to implement right ?

SJ

Yeah! The fix is simply changing a line of code. It's supposed to look for the backup settings but I did an incorrect "isNil" check where I shouldn't have.

Fantastic. Cheers Genesis - knew you would crack it.

SJ

So this mod has to be run server side for the clients to benefit from it?

Does it have to be coded into the mission as well?

Does it have to be coded into the mission as well?

Nope. But the mission will be broken anyway :). Just kidding, but it can happen.

I'm not seeing any improvement with ai driving skills. :-(

Yeah... the improvements are mainly to avoid obstacles left in the middle of roads. While the most important vanilla problems are the AI taking corners too early, and retrying :).

Well that was a rough introduction to the mod. Ran the combined assault showcase and everyone got leveled as they got out of the helicopter by a MK19 :)

How's it going Genesis?

We're using VComAI on our busy public server 24/7 to great effect. :)

However, most of the players find the default AI skill setting rather too high (360 no scope!)

Per Serjames post about the inability to read a config file, we're looking forward to your next update with great anticipation.

I have started developing myself a little campaign in ArmA 3 and i would just like to know quickly, if i install the script version of this addon into the mission folder i decide to upload to the steam workshop, do people automatically get this mod?

I would like to use this in future missions (not my current one, but later when i can use them) and if i can upload them directly to steam workshop alongside the mission so people would just hit subscribe and be able to play with the ai.

Thanks in advance.

ok, now seeing AI not following AIwarningdistance. I have mine set to 250, I blow stuff up... they all come running... all 180 of them....then stand together in circle jerk.....well kinda circle ish...been having funny stuff since patch too... other 3rd party scripts are broken too.

oh the AI are roughly scattered about a klick out all sorted out....

Does vcom treat helis like normal units? I see quite a few hovering idle after a fight, or collisions from multiple moves to the same position when assisting another squad, something I haven't been able to reproduce in vanilla.

It seems the past updates may have changed the AI in an annoying way...

I want to create my own complete AI FSM system so that I can get more control and prevent these issues.

Unfortunately, this will be a bit slow so I apologize - I'm back in my graduate program now so that and my family comes first before ArmA.

Vcom AI is one of my baby projects so I will be returning to it soon :)

It seems the past updates may have changed the AI in an annoying way...

Are you sure? What other things are you seeing? I've read the whole changelo and they didn't mention anything AI related. Very much interested in knowing if they did.

Hey, I love this AI mod! I was curious however, you said this AI mod respects the missions people make. So would this AI mod be able to be used on user made missions, and maybe the Campaign? Thanks for making this mod!

Hey, I love this AI mod! I was curious however, you said this AI mod respects the missions people make. So would this AI mod be able to be used on user made missions, and maybe the Campaign? Thanks for making this mod!

Yes, you should look into the config.sqf and make sure your parameters are set to how you want your mission setup. By the way, AIwarningdistance may need be working normal since the lovely patch. So for some missions this may not do it, but for missions like Invade and Annex you should be ok.

So what was broken with the last version? I'm about to get a server, is the userconfig bug gonna be fixed for that?

So what was broken with the last version? I'm about to get a server, is the userconfig bug gonna be fixed for that?

certainly test your version first. Genesis isnt able to be too active with this addon, real life stuff it sounds like. I have noticed the AI warningdistance is buggy, they all swarm in from pretty far distance and i have mine set to 250 m. Usually they do not come in from farther out like that. But the latest patch broke some 3rd party scripts.

But the latest patch broke some 3rd party scripts.

Honestly, I haven't noticed any broken scripts after the last patch. Everything 3rd party I use works, and my own library is not showing any problems. Did you noticed any problems with some of your own scripts?

Honestly, I haven't noticed any broken scripts after the last patch. Everything 3rd party I use works, and my own library is not showing any problems. Did you noticed any problems with some of your own scripts?

I have been getting errors with ATM halo "bad vehicle type", fastropes is getting RPT error, VAS black icons, respawn death with AI not seeing players anymore and VCOMAI warning distance not working. All but the last are on a public server mission for I&A so no mods, all worked fine until patch, VCOMAI is being used with mods, possibly a mod is broken and causing that effect. Not 100% , haven't tested it too much.

All based from my observation. Hopefully it'll be updated soon. :D

Varying AI accuracy - Works

AI Communication - Does Not Work

AI Cover - Works

Improved Flanking - Have not Tested

AI Responsiveness - Does Not Work

AI Suppression - Works

Weapon Utilization - Have not Tested

Garrisoning - Does Not Work

Formations - Does Not Work

Vehicle Disembarking - Have not Tested

Visual Cues - Works

Hi!

I wonder how to prevent a specific AI squad to help another one. I try to put " this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false]; " in the squad leader init field, but nothing happen, so I suppose this is not the solution.

I also try with a hold waypoint, but only the squad leader hold the position, the rest of the squad go straight to the gunfight.

Any idea?

Hey Deri, welcome to Arma 3 forums....

Hahaha! Thank you, I always spend a lot of time on the forums but I never really got the interest to get into any thread. Only VCOMAI thread convinced me to make one.

Hi!

I wonder how to prevent a specific AI squad to help another one. I try to put " this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false]; " in the squad leader init field, but nothing happen, so I suppose this is not the solution.

I also try with a hold waypoint, but only the squad leader hold the position, the rest of the squad go straight to the gunfight.

Any idea?

I noticed a lot of things do not seem to work like they are suppose to after the latest Arma 3 Update. So you may be doing things right its just they are not working 100% at this time.