genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

Thanks Genesis for what is looking like an awesome set of scripts.

I have been playing with Vcom for a couple of days now in conjunction with the ALiVE mod and i have what seems to be a slight issue with the CAS support module. the problem occurs when the base is hit by mortars or something similar all the CAS units spring into action, the CAS Helos, The Jets and even the transport Helos. Cant say i have seen the Artillery doing anything but certainly all the air support abandons the base to track down whatever fired the shots. This mass evacuation of helos usually results in the loss of several if not all the helicopters as they collide on takeoff.

I now there is no way through ALiVE to add the Init to the pilots not to be controlled by Vcom unless I'm missing something that someone else has found and i am at a loss to know what to do to resolve this problem other than turning off the ability for the enemy to use artillery through the init.sqf.

Other than this little issue I'm now really enjoying fighting against the AI and am grateful to you for producing what is a game changing set of scripts.

Thank You Very Much

Ian

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

I play SP a lot and noticed that when i (the main unit) dies and i switch to another playable unit on the same sqaud, the unit i am controlling seems to spit out its own commands over what i want the AI to do. Anyone experience this?

If you are using Vcom to control your AI this will happen, i have had it where i recruit AI generated by MCC and they bark out there own orders. you need to to add the init that stops your AI from being controlled by Vcom

this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];

Ok this seems to work:

"this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false];"

Edited by JCae2798

OK i cant seem to get a consitant flow.

I just tested a mission where i did the following:

1. Created 3 groups. Each leader was marked as "Playable"

2. Create another BLU and OPF group less then 1km away where they are fighting.

3. Marked each team leader of group with either and/or both variables to ignore VCOM (e.i. this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; and this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false];. I also created another group with HOLD WP

4. This is also using ALIVE modules if it matters, but these units are not sync/profiled by alive.

When mission kicks off, i hear all groups asking to move and change formations. HELP! I love these scripts but i can't get my playable groups to ignore VCOM commands

BTW using script method (not addon)

3. Marked each team leader of group with either and/or both variables to ignore VCOM (e.i. this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; and this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false];. I also created another group with HOLD WP

4. This is also using ALIVE modules if it matters, but these units are not sync/profiled by alive.

When mission kicks off, i hear all groups asking to move and change formations. HELP! I love these scripts but i can't get my playable groups to ignore VCOM commands

I had the same problem. Try giving the group leaders names and then adding the x setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; in the init.sqf. That worked for me.

I had the same problem. Try giving the group leaders names and then adding the x setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; in the init.sqf. That worked for me.

Thanks man, i tried this also with no luck. I'll try it again incase i missed something.

Hey Genesis92x..

Any chance you can reduce the VCOM_AIWarnDistance to say 75m (approx audible distance) unless the unit calling for support has a radio, AND then only units with a radio, can come to the aid of AI?

That way I can restict units from coming from too far.

i.e.

this unlinkItem "ItemRadio";this removeweapon "ItemRadio";

Edited by Beerkan

Hey Genesis92x..

Any chance you can reduce the VCOM_AIWarnDistance to say 75m (approx audible distance) unless the unit calling for support has a radio, AND then only units with a radio, can come to the aid of AI?

i.e.

That sounds wrong.

Remember, most of the time in ArmA both sides use none silenced weapons and even bigger stuff (heavy MG, Handgrenades, AT Launchers) so you would hear the sound of the shots fired and the explosions over 500m and more easily if otherwise there is no battle going on on the island (which is again most of the time the case in ArmA missions).

Maybe just give us two values VCOM_AIWarnDistance and VCOM_AIWarnDistanceNoRadio, that would be much better then just make such a unrealistic change (VCOM_AIWarnDistance always 75m unless unit has a radio.

That sounds wrong...
I suggested 75m because I AM using silenced weapons.

Regardless, my suggest is to have a variable VCOM_AIWarnDistance and whether the AI unit has a radio. If he has a radio, he can call in reinforcements from a longer distance but then ONLY if the reinforcement AI unit also has a radio, otherwise use a default VCOM_AIWarnDistance based on weapon type (be that silenced, unsilenced, grenade, mortar, explosion etc).

First, I want to thank everyone for posting and communicating with me in a respectable manner

Second, I am in the process of moving (Hence the lack of updates and communication from myself) and will picking up this project (and more) sometime next week.

Thank you for your patience!

Now comes the wall of text

Thanks for the update !

//These commands can be used to change specific AI or groups.
this setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_AIWarnDistance",200,false];
this setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_USESMOKE",1,false];
this setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_Artillery",0,false];

I think for groups it is enough to put it in the group leaders init, correct ?

Or do we need it in every soldiers init or will this work ?

enemygroup1 setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_AIWarnDistance",200,false];

No, no thank you!

If you use

this setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_AIWarnDistance",200,false]; 

it will work on a single unit. Alternatively you can use a command like

{
_x setVariable ["VCOM_Unit_AIWarnDistance",200,false];
} foreach units (group this);

and it should work. I think I remember glancing over a post saying that this was buggy... I will have to look into it

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thank you again!!!

So Awesome :)

Thanks!!!

Will test the shit outta it later on :)

Sweet thanks Kremator!

New update v1.08 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

http://img-cdn.withsix.com/mods/rv/@vcomai.png

Awesome! Thank you!

Oh great, now I have to continue playing arma, making missions and using this script AND add arty and make missions more dynamic and creative. Geez, thanks a lot genesis!

seriously, cant wait to try this, you had me at "update". :)

Heehee, I really appreciate it Andrews. Let's keep the updates rolling and the bugs a squishing.

Yeah, ArmA is close to unplayable with its Aimbot AI, thats why the most important lines of code in this script are:

VCOM_MediumAcc = _Unit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",(0.10 + (random 0.1))];
VCOM_MediumShake = _Unit setSkill ["aimingShake",(0.40 + (random 0.1)) ];

;)

Oh, and a question:

//Prevent helmets from coming off. 1 is on.
VCOM_AIHelmet = 0;

So does 1 prevent the helmets from coming off or disable this feature ?

Yes! Hack shot AI can be a pain...

VCOM_AIHelmet = 0 should turn off helmets being shot off. However I believe there is a bug that needs to be looked into.

Thanks for all the hard work you've put into writing these scripts! They really make ArmA much more realistic. I have one request though:

Can you make it so units with a "Hold" waypoint are able to get into empty static weapons and vehicles? I feel like that is the only thing this mod is missing.

Thanks again for the mod, I will be using it in all missions that I make.

I can probably work that in no problem. Of course it would be a selectable option

Hey Genesis! Thanks for the update! Unfortunately it seems that there are still some bugs on a dedicated server. The AI are now using smoke grenades and drop on their sides if they are hit but the helmets still don't come of and the downing systems doesn't seem to work (the bots won't be unconscious but die directly).

Edit: Tested the issue again. On a local server everything works fine. The scripts seem to work on a dedicated server, only if I spawn new AI as Zeus. But the AI that is initially spawned by the mission won't still use the downing system/drop their headgear. It seems that those AI squads won't communicate with each other either (not sure if this is really the case)

Thanks for the report! Sometimes after I add new features I can screw with other things... I need to go back and fix some bugs before I add anything else in. Thanks!

Another idea:

Could you maybe add a flare feature ?

So the enemy uses flares in nighttime ?

A flare feature is possible - I will probably limit it so they only use flares that they have on them. I will add it to the list of features.

Why not create thread on Addons Complete for more exposure?

I was thinking of this...but figured it would be kinda like cheating. Having two threads for the same thing? Eh...not sure how the moderators would take that. It also seems like a lot of work to keep updating both pages. I suppose I could create a page that just links back to this one. It's in the back of my mind. Maybe once I fix a few more things and get a good solid build

As I said in previous post, for me, the action still needs to be corrected as a unit. The groups are undone and the leaders sent soldiers to death alone do not seem to act as a cohesive unit.

The addon is very good, has many improvements in AI behavior, but something as basic detracts from the finish. A combat unit does not send waves of lone soldiers to kill the enemy, it is not effective. Should move in groups of fire, and keep a line of fire and some formation.

This is my suggestion to try to improve the addon, which in itself is already very good.

Legolas,

This is a issue I take seriously, this is also an issue of opinion so it can be difficult to please everyone. However - I would like the AI to path differently as well. I want them to stick together better and flow better. This kind of creation will take time unfortunately. Controlling AI is like trying to control a rabid dog. I need to find a nice compromise between individual AI behavior and group behavior. I might create a system where groups get divided into sub-groups that move together better but this will definitely take some time to get just right. For now, this is what I got :<

Even if some features might still be buggy with the current version I have to thank you again for your mod! It's awesome! The AI moving as buddy teams like legolasindar mentioned would be great. Maybe this could depend on the general squad skill.

Yes! I hope to be improving this. Unfortunately this is the most difficult part of scripting AI. I have to create a system that is flexible enough to account for ALL possible situations that may happen. I could create some really cool looking group movement with AI but it would only work in 50% of the environments. I need to create a "brain" for the AI that controls their movements a bit better. There are a lot of variables to think about but I am confident I can come up with something.

May I say this is the best and most complete the script has been, smoke is being used, flanking manoeuvres are back as they were, the getting up from unconsciousness is much more realistic and have left it on now, shamefully I have yet to have the enemy demo my building (but I will keep tempting them) Back to adjusting communication distance now so there is someone left in the AO when we attack rather than every enemy coming to us.

Unlike the gentleman above the enemy do flank in smaller groups on my mission and I personally feel the broken smaller groups is the strength for me as we continually find ourselves being caught in crossfires from 2 or 3 directions where normally having them attack in a large group allows us to lay down some artillery or well positioned grenades takes them out. I guess to some extent the ai will react differently depending on mission parameters ie: is it a domination or insurgency or tactical type mission so you will never keep 100% of people happy as we all want something different from our missions.

As much as I want some realism in my game my primary need from anything I add to a mission is to make it more fun and more challenging and sir you have done that for me in this script.

As someone mentioned above, helmets are not coming off and the downing system is not working in a dedicated server environment, I will do some communication testing tonight to see what is happening there.

Thanks for the post! And I agree with your statement, I will never please 100% of the crowd and realism will never be my goal and I think fun gameplay is superior to realism any day. However, the movement system still needs work. I might make an option for AI to move more like insurgents or more like a squad. I will have to see what I come up with...

I will take a look into these dedicated server bugs! I appreciate your time.

As much as I like this mod, the falling down could perhaps be covered by tpw_mods or now perhaps with zooloo75s Ragdoll'd mod?

Squad cohesion is very important, as is effective use of stances and hard cover. I've been watching KAI videos (although KAI is not released for Arma3 yet) and they have a very human-like response, where AI can decide NOT to attack if odds are overwhelming. MCC GAIA also has the ability to have whole group flanking based on an enemy value. Again something like this would also be good in your mod.

Any mods that make the AI tougher to outwit/play against, whilst still not being aimbots is surely a good thingTM.

A ragdoll mod? I wish Bohemia would just add a simple command to ragdoll a unit... (Having the ability to freeze certain parts of the AI would be amazing too. Imagine an AI getting shot in the chest and just have his knees crumble and his arms fall to his side while his body remains mostly upright. Then after a few seconds he falls over.)

And I have been looking at adding in another layer of AI communication that involves retreating to near-by squads if they feel overwhelmed. This could be toggle-able of course. I want the AI to feel more human like!

Hi,

First of all, I like a lot of the things in this AI. It has some great ideas.

I like the idea behind the way vcomai handles hold waypoints, but there seem to be something not quite right.

I have been testing it a bit and have found that it seems to break missions that uses hold waypoints and possibly switch trickers.

To demonstrate I've created a little mission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe6mycv8a6x7tys/_test_AI_02.Stratis.pbo

If you first run it in vanilla arma, then you'll see what it is supposed to do.

Then run it with vcomai enabled.

The switch tricker doesn't make the AI continue from the hold waypoint to the next move waypoint.

When they have stopped talking, they should start moving on from the hold waypoint to the next move waypoint, but that doesn't happen. They stay at the hold waypoint. It is as if the switch is broken.

Is this an issue with the way the hold waypoints are being handled right now or something else?

Unfortunately when I use HOLD waypoint the AI group gets completely broken up. The group is remembered and saved so it can be re-assembled again if need be...I haven't quite figured out how to get AI to garrison without breaking them into their own separate groups. If the AI remain in a group they will prioritize their formation OVER any move order. There are a few work arounds but none of them are beautiful (Things like have the AI's ability to move removed, force them to constantly face a certain direction or etc).

I play SP a lot and noticed that when i (the main unit) dies and i switch to another playable unit on the same sqaud, the unit i am controlling seems to spit out its own commands over what i want the AI to do. Anyone experience this?

Hmm. I will have to play with this more in SP and see what happens. The scripts probably think you are still an AI.

Thanks Genesis for what is looking like an awesome set of scripts.

I have been playing with Vcom for a couple of days now in conjunction with the ALiVE mod and i have what seems to be a slight issue with the CAS support module. the problem occurs when the base is hit by mortars or something similar all the CAS units spring into action, the CAS Helos, The Jets and even the transport Helos. Cant say i have seen the Artillery doing anything but certainly all the air support abandons the base to track down whatever fired the shots. This mass evacuation of helos usually results in the loss of several if not all the helicopters as they collide on takeoff.

I now there is no way through ALiVE to add the Init to the pilots not to be controlled by Vcom unless I'm missing something that someone else has found and i am at a loss to know what to do to resolve this problem other than turning off the ability for the enemy to use artillery through the init.sqf.

Other than this little issue I'm now really enjoying fighting against the AI and am grateful to you for producing what is a game changing set of scripts.

Thank You Very Much

Ian

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

If you are using Vcom to control your AI this will happen, i have had it where i recruit AI generated by MCC and they bark out there own orders. you need to to add the init that stops your AI from being controlled by Vcom

this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];

Yes this variable will disable my scripts on the AI

Ok this seems to work:

"this setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false];"

That also works too!

Try using the following command on the leaders.

{
_x setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];
_x setVariable ["NOPATHING",1,false];
} foreach units (group this);

Hey Genesis92x..

i.e.

Checking for a radio would be a good idea- You can now change the range of each individual unit, but a radio check would be cool.

That sounds wrong.

Remember, most of the time in ArmA both sides use none silenced weapons and even bigger stuff (heavy MG, Handgrenades, AT Launchers) so you would hear the sound of the shots fired and the explosions over 500m and more easily if otherwise there is no battle going on on the island (which is again most of the time the case in ArmA missions).

Maybe just give us two values VCOM_AIWarnDistance and VCOM_AIWarnDistanceNoRadio, that would be much better then just make such a unrealistic change (VCOM_AIWarnDistance always 75m unless unit has a radio.

That's a good point. There should be an easy work around to check if an AI "heard" a blast or not.

I suggested 75m because I AM using silenced weapons.

Regardless, my suggest is to have a variable VCOM_AIWarnDistance and whether the AI unit has a radio. If he has a radio, he can call in reinforcements from a longer distance but then ONLY if the reinforcement AI unit also has a radio, otherwise use a default VCOM_AIWarnDistance based on weapon type (be that silenced, unsilenced, grenade, mortar, explosion etc).

I will see if I can work on this!

So far this is my TO-DO list:

REQ: Flare Feature
REQ: Hold waypoint, AI will garrison empty vehicles or statics.
BUG: Dedicated vs Local server issues. Test Configurable features (Helmets and etc)
REQ: Change AI movement patterns. Possibly come up with different movement patterns depending on situation?
BUG: Taking over previous AI causes issues. Scripts still think player is an AI.
REQ: No radio = less distance?
REQ: Silenced weapons?

REQ: Flare Feature

REQ: Hold waypoint, AI will garrison empty vehicles or statics.

For the flare feature i would not go that far and actually make a AI unit use its grenade Launcher to shoot i flare.

Maybe it is possible to check for daytime (night) and just make random ai units the flare shooters and "give" them randomly between 1 and 4 flares.

while {alive _flareguy && _counter < _count} do {
_flare = _color createvehicle [(getpos _flareguy select 0) - random 150 + random 200 , (getpos _flareguy select 1) - random 150 + random 200 , 150 + random 50];
_flare setVelocity [0,0,-10];
_counter = _counter + 1;
sleep 30 + (random 30);
};

And for the "AI will garrison empty vehicles" you should make sure that the mission-maker can define exclusions so he still can place vehicles that need to be stolen or blown up near AI with a HOLD waypoint.

For the flare feature i would not go that far and actually make a AI unit use its grenade Launcher to shoot i flare.

Maybe it is possible to check for daytime (night) and just make random ai units the flare shooters and "give" them randomly between 1 and 4 flares.

while {alive _flareguy && _counter < _count} do {
_flare = _color createvehicle [(getpos _flareguy select 0) - random 150 + random 200 , (getpos _flareguy select 1) - random 150 + random 200 , 150 + random 50];
_flare setVelocity [0,0,-10];
_counter = _counter + 1;
sleep 30 + (random 30);
};

And for the "AI will garrison empty vehicles" you should make sure that the mission-maker can define exclusions so he still can place vehicles that need to be stolen or blown up near AI with a HOLD waypoint.

Nice :> And the flares will be scripted in for sure. I'm not sure if the flares will be given or if the mission maker has to give the AI the flares.

And the HOLD waypoint will most likely take into account if the vehicle has a gun on it or not, and if it is locked or not.

Dom, your voice is so soothing. I may fall asleep to that tutorial video later.

I just got really excited to see all of the recent updated discussions :)

Dom, your voice is so soothing. I may fall asleep to that tutorial video later.

Haha thank you. Maybe I will make some more just for you ;P

I just got really excited to see all of the recent updated discussions :)

Haha yeahhhh, it was a lot for sure

This is a issue I take seriously, this is also an issue of opinion so it can be difficult to please everyone. However - I would like the AI to path differently as well. I want them to stick together better and flow better. This kind of creation will take time unfortunately. Controlling AI is like trying to control a rabid dog. I need to find a nice compromise between individual AI behavior and group behavior. I might create a system where groups get divided into sub-groups that move together better but this will definitely take some time to get just right. For now, this is what I got :<

I appreciate that you have considered my suggestions. I know from experience that the authors of the addons are not always receptive to suggestions or opinions. So I value your hear my suggestions, even if they are difficult to implement.

Thank you.

Might found a bug with setFriend. Wanted to make a mission in which the allegiance with the independent side will turn sour during the mission, noticed that units running the AI who already saw the Players while they were still friends will not attack the Players once setFriend is used.

EG:

West and Independence are friendly, player moves up to the AI.

Set friend is used right in front of the AI like this:

independent setFriend [WEST, 0];WEST setFriend [independent, 0]

AI will react like it has seen an enemy, take cover, flank and all that. But they will not shoot.

Otherwise really digging this AI, great work.

Genesis92x you said about a very early version of your script, it will not influence performance a lot.

Now it is a fact, that me and some friends have heavy performance issues if we use the script or addon version of your ai improvements. The clients connected have no issues, just the server.

Normally we play missions with 50 up to 100 ai enemies in a selfhosted game (no dedicated server).

You can notice those performance deficits when opening a vas if you have round about 50 ai in the mission. even if you are in the editor, hit escape and click on "camera", it needs some seconds until you can control the camera...

I dont know anything about fsm scripting and i believe this is the heart of your code.

So i just ask you if there exist any chance of performance improvements.

I totally love your ai enhancements but it is not worth the perfromance (fun) loss.

Genesis92x you said about a very early version of your script, it will not influence performance a lot.

Now it is a fact, that me and some friends have heavy performance issues if we use the script or addon version of your ai improvements. The clients connected have no issues, just the server.

Normally we play missions with 50 up to 100 ai enemies in a selfhosted game (no dedicated server).

You can notice those performance deficits when opening a vas if you have round about 50 ai in the mission. even if you are in the editor, hit escape and click on "camera", it needs some seconds until you can control the camera...

I dont know anything about fsm scripting and i believe this is the heart of your code.

So i just ask you if there exist any chance of performance improvements.

I totally love your ai enhancements but it is not worth the perfromance (fun) loss.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I have released screen shots with 244 AI fighting each other with the server FPS floating around 35. There will be a drastic frame rate drop a couple seconds into a mission but it should not last longer than 30 seconds.

It is hit or miss for performance loss - if you lose that much performance, don't use it.

Some servers can handle it, some can't. I will release more information about this in the future, but it is hard to pin down. Like I said, I have played in servers with more than 250 AI with no issues so the problem seems to be related to something very obscure.

In the mean time don't use it.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I have released screen shots with 244 AI fighting each other with the server FPS floating around 35. There will be a drastic frame rate drop a couple seconds into a mission but it should not last longer than 30 seconds.

It is hit or miss for performance loss - if you lose that much performance, don't use it.

Some servers can handle it, some can't. I will release more information about this in the future, but it is hard to pin down. Like I said, I have played in servers with more than 250 AI with no issues so the problem seems to be related to something very obscure.

In the mean time don't use it.

thanks for the fast reply, but sad news :(

Is it possible to run this Mod Serverside only?

The mod should not create any kind of dependencies that I am aware of. So running the mod just on the server will work fine for the most part. Any AI controlled by players will not be effected however.

Hi !

Im a bit confused about the script version:

init.sqf:

[] execVM "VCOMAI\init.sqf";

Now the whole thing runs on all clients + server, i cant see a isServer check inside the VCOMAI\init.sqf.

I could use:

if (isServer) then {
[] execVM "VCOMAI\init.sqf";
};

but in the VCOMAI\init.sqf i saw this:

player setVariable[...]

So it looks like it needs to run on all clients.

But isnt this bad for the performance if all of the VCOMAI scripts run on server and all clients ?

Is it possible to run this Mod Serverside only?

I transition between Vcomai and ASR_AI on my dedicated server. Vcom works just fine, but it's only good for missions that do not involve units walking on patrol (this setBehaviour "Safe") because Vcom will force them to go into formation and walk with their weapons ready, like they are hunting. I know Genesis is aware of this issue and working on a fix, so I'm patiently waiting for the day I can replace ASR_AI.

I transition between Vcomai and ASR_AI on my dedicated server. Vcom works just fine, but it's only good for missions that do not involve units walking on patrol (this setBehaviour "Safe") because Vcom will force them to go into formation and walk with their weapons ready, like they are hunting. I know Genesis is aware of this issue and working on a fix, so I'm patiently waiting for the day I can replace ASR_AI.

this about using hold waypoints for your units to garrison buildings AND place the correct commands in the patrols you don't want to be affected by this script and just use normal waypoints. This also works well with UPSMON.