genesis92x

Vcom AI V2.0 - AI Overhaul

hello so i paste this 'this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];' into the units (civ) init but he now runs away from me and before when i didnt have the script at all he wouldnt any tips

^^ AI are normally set to run away if you have your weapon out in front of them. Or at least I think that is the case.

hello so i paste this 'this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];' into the units (civ) init but he now runs away from me and before when i didnt have the script at all he wouldnt any tips

Civilians will always run away if there's a unit near them that's hostile to blufor.

Hey guys, just another update here.

AI Pack Download

- Version 1.03

Changes for 1.03:

-AI should act in a more cohesive manner. Still spreading out but staying as a group. The groups are still a lot more loose than default AI

-Fixed bug where AI would stop engaging and stare up at the stars

-AI will now delete their engagement waypoints after their opposition has been killed

-AI accuracy settings are randomized. Some AI soldiers will be better than others.

-AI vehicles should behave a lot better inside vehicles now.

-Optimizations: 164 AI engagement had a low of 30 FPS for ~30 seconds on the test server.

Known Problems

-Sometimes AI will give themselves more waypoints than necessary. The waypoints will be cleared after combat is finished.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me find the bugs! Please post back for any that you find. I appreciate your help and kind words!!

Edited by Genesis92x

wondering if this has been tested for headless client / spawning AI?? thanks.

It has not been tested on "official" headless clients - but the AI do take effect on client machines. So in theory it should work just fine

Edited by Genesis92x

wondering if this has been tested for headless client / spawning AI?? thanks.

yes, this does workwith spawning AI... as for headless client, not sure - don't run this... if you use the ALiVE module system, this also works fine with profiled/spawned units... and to mention, ZEUS spawned units as well...

So far, this has shaped up to be quite the excellent script... great work my man... :D

-Raps

yes, this does workwith spawning AI... as for headless client, not sure - don't run this... if you use the ALiVE module system, this also works fine with profiled/spawned units... and to mention, ZEUS spawned units as well...

So far, this has shaped up to be quite the excellent script... great work my man... :D

-Raps

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

RPT Spamming with latest update...

if (_Unit == (drive>
 Error position: <_CargoListSelection;
if (_Unit == (drive>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _cargolistselection

:D

-Raps

Hey guys, just another update here.

Changes for 1.03:

-AI should act in a more cohesive manner. Still spreading out but staying as a group. The groups are still a lot more loose than default AI

-Fixed bug where AI would stop engaging and stare up at the stars

-AI will now delete their engagement waypoints after their opposition has been killed

-AI accuracy settings are randomized. Some AI soldiers will be better than others.

-AI vehicles should behave a lot better inside vehicles now.

-Optimizations: 164 AI engagement had a low of 30 FPS for ~30 seconds on the test server.

Still missing a VCOM_nnnnReloadSpeed variable.

Much better... no more spam... :D

Also see the waypoint improvement... no more 70+ waypoints for a group... now it is keeping it nice and tidy.

Great job,

-Raps

Much better... no more spam... :D

Also see the waypoint improvement... no more 70+ waypoints for a group... now it is keeping it nice and tidy.

Great job,

-Raps

Ha, yay! However, that bug is still present when AI are in vehicles...fortunately it will delete the waypoints after they are done with the enemy.

Should I download the one posted above or wait for the next release for my mission?

Looking forward to this!

Thank you! Download the one on the first page (not from ArmAholic). It has the fix

Hello :)

I've tested your script yesterday, and I must say, you have a good concept for AI maneuvers, they really doing it well for now, retreating when they need to etc (I've tried it with bCombat too and i didnt saw any strange behaviour). For now AI leader giving move orders to every unit in group, I think the little better way to achive thing that you want - is something what have been done in Zeus_AI mod for arma 2, where AI leader shatered group into 2 or 3 little groups (red, white, blue, green), and then giving orders to this groups, not to every single unit. I know my english is not really professional, but I think you will know what i mean ;)

Regards, and keep up good work :)

Hello :)

I've tested your script yesterday, and I must say, you have a good concept for AI maneuvers, they really doing it well for now, retreating when they need to etc (I've tried it with bCombat too and i didnt saw any strange behaviour). For now AI leader giving move orders to every unit in group, I think the little better way to achive thing that you want - is something what have been done in Zeus_AI mod for arma 2, where AI leader shatered group into 2 or 3 little groups (red, white, blue, green), and then giving orders to this groups, not to every single unit. I know my english is not really professional, but I think you will know what i mean ;)

Regards, and keep up good work :)

Breaking the squads down into smaller groups might be a good idea. ArmA already does this to some extent (with Fire Team Leaders) but I can see where it would be useful. The AI leader should only be giving default commands to specific AI - just like in vanilla.

When an AI becomes suppressed, or a squad comes under fire, then the AI will individually be told to search for cover. Other than that I just tell the AI leader where to set waypoints. I will look into making this still more complex :>

Thank you! And I appreciate your time!

Thank you for this great mod! Fighting AI feels a lot more challenging and intense. The only problem I experience is the very bad server performance with some missions that I added your scripts to. We're using ALiVE on our server and some missions work really fine, others seem to stress the server to the full extend.

Thank you for this great mod! Fighting AI feels a lot more challenging and intense. The only problem I experience is the very bad server performance with some missions that I added your scripts to. We're using ALiVE on our server and some missions work really fine, others seem to stress the server to the full extend.

Thank you for the kind words!

Some people have reported this but it's most likely some type of incompatibility. On my little server box (8 GB DDR3 Ram, Intel i5 Quad Core @ 3.10GHZ) - I was able to have a 164 AI battle (all at once) with a low of 30 FPS. So there might be some other issues going on in the missions that are stressed. I know that invade and annex alone has several scripts that cause FPS issues and adding AI enhancements on top of that may be the straw that broke the camels back.

Regardless, I am always trying to improve performance of the scripts. If you find any errors please let me know!

First time trying your script and AI movement and engagement seems a lot faster than vanilla. Seems they "felt" the sense of urgency of their situation. Watching some unrelated arma video online afterwards and the combat looked significantly slower. Keep up the good work. Using this with TPW HUD and FALL is a blast!

I have a request... will there (can there) be a way to exclude certain groups from the AI behavior... I am seeing some strange doings with AI pilots and their group members deciding to do something else and part ways... ARE AIR units excluded and this is only is only for units on the ground.. not even sure but am just asking is all... other than this, I am seeing a lot of cool things happening. So keep up the great work and bring on the enhancements.

-Raps

^^^

_this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];   - This will turn off the AI improvements on the given unit
...more to come.

1st post :rolleyes:

First time trying your script and AI movement and engagement seems a lot faster than vanilla. Seems they "felt" the sense of urgency of their situation. Watching some unrelated arma video online afterwards and the combat looked significantly slower. Keep up the good work. Using this with TPW HUD and FALL is a blast!

I tried to make them care a little bit more about their lives. At the end of the day - AI are still AI. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know that you enjoyed it!

I have a request... will there (can there) be a way to exclude certain groups from the AI behavior... I am seeing some strange doings with AI pilots and their group members deciding to do something else and part ways... ARE AIR units excluded and this is only is only for units on the ground.. not even sure but am just asking is all... other than this, I am seeing a lot of cool things happening. So keep up the great work and bring on the enhancements.

-Raps

^^^

_this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];   - This will turn off the AI improvements on the given unit
...more to come.

1st post :rolleyes:

As froggyluv pointed out this setVariable ["NOAI",1,false]; will disable the AI it is put onto.

If you want to easily disable an entire group - but this in one of the soldiers init line.

{_x setVariable ["NOAI",1,false];} forEach (units (group this));