Sign in to follow this  
daterxies

Is there a specific reason why Servers dont utilize multiple cores?

Im not very knowledgeable in this aspect, so my post might be a bit naive.

But from all the issues that seem to stem from Arma 3 server only using 1 core, and it well being 2014 you would think they would make it use more then 1 core for everything? With the influx of copies sold from A2 Dayz and Arma 3 doing so good you would think they would invest some time at figuring out how to make a current generation server optmizations (EG Multi core support)

the engine is based on code that is over 10 years old.

I believe it is a mammoth task to rewrite and engine to utilise multicores.

So basically your answer would be... too difficult at this moment in time

Maybe we get that in A4 who knows

the engine is based on code that is over 10 years old.

I believe it is a mammoth task to rewrite and engine to utilise multicores.

So basically your answer would be... too difficult at this moment in time

Maybe we get that in A4 who knows

Yea... i LOVE Arma been playing since OFP, but like you say the engine is getting rather old and i think its starting to be pushed to its absolute limits (hence the poor optimzations etc, you probably cant optimize it) Lets hope they use all these people buying the game for Wasteland, DayZ + Whatever mod to invest in a newer engine that supports 64b and multiple cores. Can you imagine the possibilities ?

You should go read this: http://dev.arma3.com/sitrep-00051
Multiplayer optimization attempts are looking optimistic. The server-side algorithm that determines what messages to resend and to which clients, has been optimized and rewritten to use additional CPU cores. Together with a client-side optimization of network message computations, these changes should provide a noticeable boost to framerates in multiplayer sessions. The changes have to be carefully tested but they should be ready for the update after Zeus (1.18). You can already try them out on devbranch.

Did anyone already try this out? Any performance changes?

the A3 server already needs more than two cores to work optimally (3 as minimum, as using only 2 may lead to performance decrease on high player/high AI counts)

so I'm trying to figure out point of this question

But from all the issues that seem to stem from Arma 3 server only using 1 core, and it well being 2014 you would think they would make it use more then 1 core for everything?

since the engine is multicore (Arma 2) the server used 2+ cores, hence why the talk about 1 core now?

Did anyone already try this out? Any performance changes?

hey there :)

I have noticed that positions of non-local units seem to be way more "uncertain" than they are on the stable branch.

for example, i might see a target running east - all of a sudden he will 'jump' a few meters back and be in a totally different place (sometimes even while ragdolling)

I also noticed a strange issue where non-local vehicles will appear to be 'floating' midair or just in a bad location. If you then drive into that location, the vehicle will pop right into you and even cause damage sometimes.

hey there :)

I have noticed that positions of non-local units seem to be way more "uncertain" than they are on the stable branch.

for example, i might see a target running east - all of a sudden he will 'jump' a few meters back and be in a totally different place (sometimes even while ragdolling)

I also noticed a strange issue where non-local vehicles will appear to be 'floating' midair or just in a bad location. If you then drive into that location, the vehicle will pop right into you and even cause damage sometimes.

This could be due to wrong values set for MinErrorToSend and MinErrorToSendNear. Did you experience any fps changes on client/server-side compared to stable?