Sign in to follow this  
wpk-wolfseye

Cannot start Dedicated (WIN) Server

Hi guys,

this was my first try to start a dedicated ARMA Server of any kind, in this case for ARMA 3. I followed the Tutorials posted here and on Google.

Installed the Server via SteamCMD.

My start commandline, like posted in the tutorials more less:

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe -profiles=c:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master" -port 2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

I used mostly the basic VANILLA_Config.cfg file, with small changes to the Server name etc, the usual. The Serverfiles itself were correctly downloaded via Steam.

However, when I want to start the Server, a few seconds later I get the following Error:

Server Creation failed: 2302

Dedicated Host created.

BattlEye initialization failed

I forwarded all the necessary Ports, as posted in multiple Tutorials, for example here:

(Appearantely I cannot post any links here!)

My CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg (just so there is no confusion of what I might did wrong there) is:

//

// server.cfg

//

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// STEAM

steamport =2300;

steamqueryport =2301;

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "My Server"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password = ""; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin = ""; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP = "arma3pc.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. Leave empty for private servers if you do not want your server listed publicly

logFile = "A3Master.log";

verifySignatures = 2;

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={

"",

"",

"",

"__________ SYSTEM MESSAGES __________",

"Welcome to the my Server",

"IMPORTANT Verify Signatures is enabled",

"",

"TS3 Server: ",

"Web: ",

"__________ END OF MESSAGE __________"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers = 40; // Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

//voteMissionPlayers = 0;

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 8; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

timeStampFormat = "short"; // Set the timestamp format used on each report line in server-side RPT file. Possible values are "none" (default),"short","full".

BattlEye = 1; // Server to use BattlEye system

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected = ""; //

onUserDisconnected = ""; //

doubleIdDetected = ""; //

//regularCheck = "{}"; // Server checks files from time to time by hashing them and comparing the hash to the hash values of the clients. Causes heavy I/O, uncomment to disable feature - READ WARNING ABOVE - makes cheating possible!

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions

{

class Mission1

{

template="co_xx_mymission.stratis";

difficulty="Regular";

};

};

kickDuplicate = 1;

equalModRequired = 0;

requiredSecureId = 2;

timeStampFormat = "short";

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATION

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; //"ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

onDifferentData = "";

My Operating System on the Dedciated Machine is WINDOWS 2012 SERVER. Now please, i would appreciate if someone could tell me what I did wrong to get around this Error and can move on.

Really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Wolfseye

Your battleye didnt initialise.

Your battleye didnt initialise.

Ok, thanks, thats what I even read a few times on Google myself. But I don't know any way to change that. And no solution to that I've found, really was like it is in my situation. Simply put, I have no idea how to fix that. :(

Wolfseye

lets start with the basics.

ArmA3server.exe running as either administrator or System ?

Try removing the server Battleye folder and uploading your client version.

Try turning off your firewall

Edited by Terox

As I said, I followed all the standard Tutorials for A3 Server. Not running as Administrator. Where would the BE folder be on the Server exactly ?

Wolfseye

P.S: Ok, in BattlEye Folder is the same beserver.dll like on my PC's BE Folder. So there is no difference, except the difference there is no Client DLL, obviously. Which I assume is not needed for the Server.

Edited by WPK-Wolfseye

In the tutorial thread, the 1st instruction does actually state "Login as Administrator".

Battleye needs administrator rights, this is the most likely root of your problems.

I realise now that needed some additional clarification, so I've updated the first post in the tutorial to better explain why.

Hope that sorts it for ya

Edited by Terox

I wish it did. Tried with Admin, took a few seconds longer for the same error to come up. But it did come up. Even tried as WIN7 Compatibility Mode, same problem. Not sure what else it could be.

Server Creation failed: 2302

Dedicated Host created.

BattlEye initialization failed

Just go to your arma 3 server folder and run arma3server , no configs, nothing, pure arma3server, I Wonder if there will be any error.

Ok, that actually works. Just the .exe

Tgso4ig.jpg

but with the Commandline:

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe -profiles=c:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master" -port 2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

it doesn't. But from what I read in Tutorials, thats how its pretty much supposed to be.

Edited by WPK-Wolfseye

in your commandline the arma3server.exe is in a different folder to the profile

In the instructions, these should be the same

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master"

The arma3server.exe is in a different folder to the profile

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe

C:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master"

In the Tutorial at step 12 is it posted that way. I am still not sure what I did wrong, sorry. Maybe I am just blind right now. ;) I would appreciate if you would post the working solution, aka the right command line parameters which appearantly I mixed up.

Sorry. :(

Cheers

Wolfseye

N0.12 states

Add the following parameters to the Target Line in the shortcut tab of the newly created desktop shortcut

-port=2302 (Required if running multiple server instances)

"-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master"

-config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg

-world=empty

so it looks something similar to the following

"D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe" "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

You just didnt read it correctly m8, red mist :)

Comparison

Yours: C:\Games\ArmA3\A3server\arma3server.exe "-profiles=c:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master" -port 2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

Mine: D:\Games\Arma3\A3Master\arma3server.exe "-profiles=d:\Games\Arma3\A3Master" -port=2302 -config=CONFIG_Vanilla.cfg -world=empty

Edited by Terox

Ok. Whats a standard Coop Mission that comes with the Game ?

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)class Missions

{

class Mission1

{

difficulty="Regular";

};

};

Need to put a real map in there, I assume. But I don't know what exactly they are named as for putting it into the line template="co_xx_mymission.stratis";

At least I got the other stuff sorted out.

Thank you very much !

Any help is appreciated.

Wolfseye

P.S: What does this error mean ?

EVuoGRl.jpg

Edited by WPK-Wolfseye

Timestamp format already defined, means there are 2 entries in the file for the same thing, in other words its repeated

Comment out that mission cycle bit, as per the tutorial example for now

Make sure your mpmissions folder is empty, you will then see some default BIS missions when you log in as admin

Ok, I tried to connect to my Server but i get a "Bad Server Version" message in my client if I want to connect. I double checked, updated the Server via SteamCMD to definately the latest Version. Why does it say that the Server has a bad Version ?

The latest Report file in the Server folder contains this.

http://pastebin.com/0gAvC9kg

Not sure if that helps.

In the .cmd file that I used to install / update the Arma 3 Dedicated Server are the following lines.

SET A3serverBRANCH=233780 -beta

:: For stable use 233780 -beta

:: For Dev use 233780 -beta development

As you can see, I used -beta which according to the explonation below that, means for the stable branch. However, when I see my Server in the Serverlist, it has a red X left of the Servername. And that, according to some googling seems to mean that my Client and my Server are not the same branch. But what other branch can I install to make it compatible ?

I really hosted many games over time, but I gotta say, ARMA really makes it unnecessary complicated in how to get a Server going. :(

Edited by WPK-Wolfseye

Your .rpt file tells you the version of the .exe you are running and the branch

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.14.116248

The latest version is

Type: Public

Branch: Stable

Version: 1.16.123633

The correct parameters for selecting a branch are: (These are your ONLY options)

• STABLE Branch Full Install (Client & Server) SET A3BRANCH=107410
  • DEV Branch Full Install (Client & Server) SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development
  • STABLE Dedicated Package Install SET A3BRANCH=233780 -beta

Sometimes steam can be a bitch when updating.

The following is your best option to defintely fix this

1) Clean install (Best method) Just delete all folders and files except MpMissions and the User folder

Edited by Terox

Really ? Come on. When I found the Tutorial pinned to the top of this Forum Section, it was on some other Website. Looked like absolutely the same Tutorial, and it is. Except that the steamcmd updater file was different with one line.

@echo off

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install

SET STEAMLOGIN=mylogin mypassword

SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development

:: For stable use 107410 -beta

:: For Dev use 107410 -beta development

:: For Dedi server stable package use 233780

:: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"

SET A3Path=D:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master

SET STEAMPATH=D:\apps\Steam

:: _________________________________________________________

echo.

echo You are about to update ArmA3

echo Dir: %A3Path%

echo Branch: %A3BRANCH%

echo.

echo Key "ENTER" yo procede

pause

%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3Path% +"app_update %A3BRANCH%" validate +quit

echo .

echo Your ArmA3 is now up to date

echo key "ENTER" to exit

pause

Mine...

@echo off@rem http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

:: DEFINE the following variables where applicable to your install

SET STEAMLOGIN=mylogin mypassword

SET A3serverBRANCH=233780 -beta

:: For stable use 233780 -beta

:: For Dev use 233780 -beta development

:: Note, the missing qotation marks, these need to be wrapped around the entire "+app_data......"

:: There is no DEV branch data yet for Arma 3 Dedicated Server package !!!

SET A3serverPath=C:\Games\ArmA3\A3Master\

SET STEAMPATH=C:\steamcmd\

:: _________________________________________________________

echo.

echo You are about to update ArmA 3 server

echo Dir: %A3serverPath%

echo Branch: %A3serverBRANCH%

echo.

echo Key "ENTER" to proceed

pause

%STEAMPATH%\steamcmd.exe +login %STEAMLOGIN% +force_install_dir %A3serverPath% +"app_update %A3serverBRANCH%" validate +quit

echo .

echo Your ArmA 3 server is now up to date

echo key "ENTER" to exit

pause

The line I marked bold, that was not in mine. So I assume that -BETA would be the thing to go. Honestly, how can I know ? But if you don't want me to ask more, I will stop with ARMA 3 (and not post anymore) and move on to other Games for hosting. Thanks anyways. Wasn't ment to be appearantly.

Wolfseye

P.S: Seems asking questions isn't really wanted here.

For those of you watching this thread wondering why this reaction.

There was a couple of typo's in the tutorial thread (now corrected)

I basically stated in an earlier post, which I then removed within a minute of posting it something that was taken as a derogatory statement. I realised I had made a mistake for which i apologise.

Edited by Terox

Your .rpt file tells you the version of the .exe you are running and the branch

The latest version is

The correct parameters for selecting a branch are: (These are your ONLY options)

• STABLE Branch Full Install (Client & Server) SET A3BRANCH=107410
  • DEV Branch Full Install (Client & Server) SET A3BRANCH=107410 -beta development
  • STABLE Dedicated Package Install SET A3BRANCH=233780 -beta

Sometimes steam can be a bitch when updating.

The following is your best option to defintely fix this

1) Clean install (Best method) Just delete all folders and files except MpMissions and the User folder

Thanks. Will see if it works. ;)

Funny enough, with that Tool TADST it works. However, you said to remove that mission thing from the .cfg and when logged into the Server as admin, I would have a list of included missions I can run on the Server. But after I removed all from the mpmissions folder, nothing was in there. I had one map downloaded, a custom map. Which I could load. But it only gave me that mission to choose, not any other stock maps that came with the Server I assume. Or are there no stock maps within the Server files ?

Cheers

Wolfseye

The stock BIS missions are stored in an addon somewhere (not sure where, never looked for them) Its possible that the Server dedicated package doesnt have them, the Full client/server install does)

The reason for clearing all the 3rd Party MpMissions out is....

When the server starts up it reads through all the description.ext files for each mission.pbo. I assume it does this so that it has a ready made list of missions to display in the mission selection screen.

If one of those missions has an error in the description.ext the server fails to start, so by removing the third party mission list, it solves that potential problem and helps to prove the integrity of the install

Also if the mission cycle class defines a mission that doesn't exist, eg syntax error , the server will also fail to start fully.It will hang on the Stratis loading screen (It could possibly also hang on the Altis loading screen if the mission island listed was Altis)

So by commenting that out in the ****.cfg you remove that potential issue as well when trying to prove the Stock vanilla installation

eg

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)class Missions
/*
{
 class Mission1
 {
       difficulty="Regular";
 };
};
*/

Edited by Terox