Sign in to follow this  
doln

Arma 3: Poltergeist -- Taking the 2035 setting and running with it.

Your glasses are, as is all of your campaign, very well done. Have you tried using eventhandlers and noticed an impact? Because I really wonder how much of the performance loss in Showcase: Defender is due to this feature of the HUD.

Thank you, but I don't want to use EHs because of performance issues. I rather don't like to affect other objects with code running in the background that way. I'm not sure how the game behaves if I add several fired EHs to a unit. (Which could easily happen depending on mission design.) It's also a design decision whether to "bind" the glass code (or Doln's helmet code) to the player or to all other objects in a mission. I like to keep it focused on the player only and have the device interprete its surroundings dynamically. Doln's shot finder is a neat feature but completely hard coded and attached to the AI and not to the player. It's no problem in a single mission but it can become an issue if you design a whole campaign with totally different scenarios. I want my systems to be capable of running in many different environments, I'm aiming for high flexibility and a wide range of use cases.

However, as I said, I haven't found a good way to detect enemy fire without putting EHs on all possible shooters yet. I could use "fired near", but it only ranges up 69m I think. And I can detect bullets with nearesObject but it's not as accurate as the fired EH. Glass' new pulse calculation system takes all these factors into account because it doesn't need the values to be that accurate. It just calculates a "stress rate" based on fatigue level, bullets near by, knowledge about enemies and health status. I can detect incoming fire but I won't be able to connect it to a concrete shooter like Doln's system can.

Cutting that cutscene thingy was good. Right now there is already too much fully scripted talk in the showcase, imo. No idea how many minutes I was forced to sit and listen without being able to skip it, but I surely know that it was way too long. Also I felt like there was too much teleporting and locking of player movement. Additionally, if this wouldn't be a showcase, but actual campaign content, then I'd split the tutorial part from the rest and connect it as two seamingly following missions, simply for performance reasons (I've had some serious performance hits, despite much going on at all, so I'll guess the mission would need to be a tad less cluttered script-wise).

Really like the concept! The original setting was what got me hyped for ArmA 3 when it was first announced.

If I could nitpick some elements in the Showcase (I need to replay it again tbh), it'd be mostly terminology or clarification (I'm a chronic background/lore junkie...), such as a "Republican Guard division" being airlifted in, when the AAF have only a few thousand soldiers in a couple of regiments. Could I suggest that being a company of handpicked soldiers with extensive CSAT training?

There was a small disconnect between the text and the spoken dialogue.

The other thing would be clearer distinction of the 3rd Army being a CSAT or Russian force, or a mix of the two.

Would love to see the Orbat module used too :P

Thanks!

I am postponing Poltergeist in order to do the concept justice -- the new release date is "When it's done". 5 months was cutting it thin, at any rate.

Go vote for Kydoimos' "RESIST" entry for MANW, it deserves it =)

If you want to see behind the scenes stuff, check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/tyzxej/videos

I upload WIP videos periodically (amidst other things, the channel is not dedicated to Arma)

It obviously would not have been perfect with a missing railgun tank anyway. :/

I didn't realise you were still working on this, awesome! Can I ask if you've tried to improve the performance since the showcase was released?

I didn't realise you were still working on this, awesome! Can I ask if you've tried to improve the performance since the showcase was released?

I've done what I can but there hasn't really been a noticeable difference. It pains me as well, don't you worry! I've learnt lessons that I'm applying to the rest of the missions.

I've done what I can but there hasn't really been a noticeable difference. It pains me as well, don't you worry! I've learnt lessons that I'm applying to the rest of the missions.

Sounds fine, no matter what you do it's always going to be script heavy, I'm willing to pay that price though. I actually replayed the showcase last night and enjoyed it all over again!

(Also I'm liking the railgun tank :D)

Best of luck on finishing this. Poltergeist was the first MANW submission I tried, and if I didn't know it was for a contest I would have assumed it was a Bohemia campaign. I think the Showcase and Resist's campaign have really shown that the community can easily make content not only of the same quality as Bohemia's works, but the same level of professional polish with voice acting and the like.

Good luck with the project, Doln - your showcase was extremely well done - I know you'll blow us away with the final release! The community is in dire need for something with a fresh (CSAT) perspective! Can't wait to play your next instalment! :)

Sign in to follow this